Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Does IPTV require the kind of stability this link claims Cable over copper needs?
    Could be the reason people are still on it, I don't know if its widespread knowledge but the uncle was saying they're going to sell an IPTV package along with this at some stage.
    I doubt it. Also, looking at other implementations of ADSL and VDSL, we in Ireland are one the only countries with such high latencies. So I'd have to say no, it's not needed and that it's plain stupidity. Sure some people on ADSL with high noise might benefit from it but let's examine it case-by-case. Set the default to fastpath and add interleaving only when it's truly needed.
    Simi wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of you have already done this and gotten nowhere, but try asking your provider to turn off interleaving. I'm with vodafone and asked one of the reps on the vodafone forums could he turn down the interleaving, and the next day he called up and changed me back to fastpath while I was on the phone and asked me to run a few ping/speed tests to make sure the line was stable. Ping dropped from 35 to 15/16ms just like that.

Maybe wait a week until things have calmed down a bit. I'm sure they're more than a little busy at the moment. ;)
    Brilliant! That's great news. Pity fastpath isn't the default as I mentioned above. It's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had a crew working at connecting power to the cab near my place today.Looking at some of the speeds posted here,I can't wait to get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Just to clarify I'm still on bog standard ADSL 1 (and likely will be for some time). I'm just saying that the Vodafone tech guys have been willing to adjust the level of interleaving in the past.

Simi wrote: »
    Just to clarify I'm still on bog standard ADSL 1 (and likely will be for some time). I'm just saying that the Vodafone tech guys have been willing to adjust the level of interleaving in the past.
    I was on ADSL 1 until January 2012 and I wasn't that lucky with UTV. But your success with Vodafone seems promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 polks

Eircom has a FUP of 500GB

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/84756672

• Advertisement

polks wrote: »

It's better than Magnet's traffic management policy, only 4GB between 4pm and 1am before you get throttled to 1Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

As the only person on this line, the only time I hit the 500GBs is if there is a steam sale, or if I go mad downloading linux distros and that one month I watched Breaking Bad seasons 1-5 on Netflix. Could see the issue with 2 or more people using netflix, and regular internet use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

"Unlimited means that there are absolutely no limits" Except for a 500 gig limit...maybe.

Going on past experience, Eircom will not charge for going over it.

However, it absolutely infuriates me that ISP's lie about these things. It infuriates me that nobody does anything about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Re Pings - It could be (as BT do in the UK) that the dynamic line management is always set to "Auto" in VDSL so the interleaving cant be altered.

Most operators do this around the world

Also things to remember with pings (for any operator)

1) Alywas test the ping using a hard wired cable to get the actual line ping - wifi can introduce a lot of latency, in particuar in built up areas
    2) All the new modems will probably support 802.11n (some with MiMo as the VF ones does) so make sure your wireless card can aso support
    3) If your modem is far away from the device you need to connect - try the newer home plugs - both Vodafone and eircom offer these
    4) Pings increase with more things using the link - for example an FTP download will grab all the bandwidth it can so test pings with notihng else connected / using the link

Hope some of this helps :)

As the only person on this line, the only time I hit the 500GBs is if there is a steam sale, or if I go mad downloading linux distros and that one month I watched Breaking Bad seasons 1-5 on Netflix. Could see the issue with 2 or more people using netflix, and regular internet use.
    Exactly, and that's what makes the 4GB peak limit on Magnet even worse. It will be enforced strictly and if you live in a house with multiple people watching and downloading stuff, say a family of teenagers with their own computers or even shared accommodation where people do their own things, you're screwed.
    Praetorian wrote: »
    "Unlimited means that there are absolutely no limits" Except for a 500 gig limit...maybe.

However, it absolutely infuriates me that ISP's lie about these things. It infuriates me that nobody does anything about it either.
    I agree, I think whatever the limit is stated as being in the FUP, that's what should be advertised and being able to use the word "Unlimited" for any other reason other than its literal meaning should be against the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Someone over in the eircom forum posted their before and after speedtests, ping stayed the exact same which is abit surprising.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056955715

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I have no internet since yesterday. I wonder have the work on fiber caused it? Vodafone tech support is useless and they say it could be 2 - 3 working days until they can fix it which would mean next week. I found a cab around the corner about 250 meters away, cant wait until the fiber is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

bush wrote: »
    I have no internet since yesterday. I wonder have the work on fiber caused it? Vodafone tech support is useless and they say it could be 2 - 3 working days until they can fix it which would mean next week. I found a cab around the corner about 250 meters away, cant wait until the fiber is sorted.

When the eircom guys are working on the fibre it should affect the standard broadband services, but saying that they might have clipped your cable and done something, best thing to do is wait for eircom to get back out and fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

Down in Wexford town here, rang up eircom to get a definite answer as to whether or not my local cabinet is live for fibre. It's not :( but is apparently due to be upgraded sometime next month. Probably salesman lies, but so be it... I think they have it live in what was the pilot area which didn't include my estate, anywhere else has to wait... Signed up anyway to the 8MB NGB, I was/currently still am with Imagine WiMax on an old 3MB package, Eircom's deal is the same price as what I'm already paying imagine for their awful attempt at a service, free upgrade to fibre whenever the cab gets activated, happy days ahead... I hope....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

allen175 wrote: »
    When the eircom guys are working on the fibre it should affect the standard broadband services, but saying that they might have clipped your cable and done something, best thing to do is wait for eircom to get back out and fix the problem.

The thing is an Eircom engineer already came and said the line is perfect. Vodafone are still blaming eircom though.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Can anybody at all give any information on what the story is with those of us on enabled exchanges who arent actually enabled yet.
    Eircom wont respond at all on the Talk to Eircom thread.
    And on the phone they wont tell anything.
    Are we even going to be enabled in the near future or just left with ****ty BB forever.
    Very poor show from Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

The cabinets will obviously be enabled they just don't have enough people to commission them all and eircom seem to be doing it themselves instead of sourcing it to some group like they did with KN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭irishgeo

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    The cabinets will obviously be enabled they just don't have enough people to commission them all and eircom seem to be doing it themselves instead of sourcing it to some group like they did with KN.

And they cant work overtime to commission them as sky and upc complained to comreg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Praetorian wrote: »

I have got charged for going over it

Imagine if they launched when the wanted in March/April they'd probably have 1 cabinet live in every live exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Exactly, and that's what makes the 4GB peak limit on Magnet even worse. It will be enforced strictly and if you live in a house with multiple people watching and downloading stuff, say a family of teenagers with their own computers or even shared accommodation where people do their own things, you're screwed.

I agree, I think whatever the limit is stated as being in the FUP, that's what should be advertised and being able to use the word "Unlimited" for any other reason other than its literal meaning should be against the law.

There are many of us here on boards who have been advocating this for years (and indeed have been criticised for it!) As far as I can make out you now have the ridiculous situation where some people on UPC have "real" unlimited while people who signed up before a certain date have "unlimited" but with a fup!!!

FTTC is obviously going to open up more possibilities for downloading and streaming for many people and this so called unlimited tag well probably become more of an issue once again.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the more knowledgeable people here as to what the state of the overall capacity is on the networks and how necessary the limits are that are imposed by isps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭phog

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Can anybody at all give any information on what the story is with those of us on enabled exchanges who arent actually enabled yet.
    Eircom wont respond at all on the Talk to Eircom thread.
    And on the phone they wont tell anything.
    Are we even going to be enabled in the near future or just left with ****ty BB forever.
    Very poor show from Eircom

Are you within 1km if a fibre cab? It seems some cabs are still not comissioned, no idea why not.

dub45 wrote: »
    There are many of us here on boards who have been advocating this for years (and indeed have been criticised for it!) As far as I can make out you now have the ridiculous situation where some people on UPC have "real" unlimited while people who signed up before a certain date have "unlimited" but with a fup!!!
    Yeah, I switched after getting in contact with them for being put on the "Extreme" package for exceeding my limit on multiple occasions. I noticed because my speed dropped from 100Mb/s to 60Mb/s (Extreme, my ass!).

At first I had to go to 150Mb/s as I was told it was the only package with no FUP and it was brand-new at the beginning of Feb - coincidentally the same time I was switched to the "Extreme" pack. So the lady on the phone switched me so I wouldn't have to pay the €70-80 per month and I'd get my speed (+ an extra 50Mb/s) and unlimited traffic. Then a month later all the packs got it, so I downgraded back to 100Mb/s (since the upload is the same and I don't need 150Mb/s down) and reluctantly agreed to pay the €10 downgrade fee. Of course, it meant a new 12-month contract as of February, which the lady did communicate to me over the phone initially.

I've seen a lot of posts in the past about the "Unlimited" wording and I remember not long after it started to fire up on this board, UPC stopped using "Unlimited" and actually specified the 500GB cap on their product pages. But that all changed last year sometime when they reverted, and it wasn't until this year where they got rid of the FUP cap altogether.
    dub45 wrote: »
    FTTC is obviously going to open up more possibilities for downloading and streaming for many people and this so called unlimited tag well probably become more of an issue once again.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the more knowledgeable people here as to what the state of the overall capacity is on the networks and how necessary the limits are that are imposed by isps.
    Agreed, it will be a big issue. 500GB is alright but in the age of Netflix, it isn't enough, sadly. 1TB would be fine. Unlimited would be better! It'd be great to especially hear from anyone who's actually in the telco sector. I came across a thread in the past (I can't remember what it was about exactly) where an Eircom engineer, who IIRC remained anonymous, was able to throw in some facts. It'd be good to have something like that happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Weirdly enough, in 2006 my pings were 17ms, moved town in late 2008, had crap pings to boards.ie( ~52ms ), but after the NGB rollout my pings went way down( im with UTV btw on the 7.8Meg service but only getting 4Megabit download ), current pings on my crap broadband are( whilst im downloading stuff atm ):

C:\>ping boards.ie

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.108] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.108:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 18ms

Hmm, so I wonder if I ended up on fastpath? going to move to another ISP for this so will prob lose those pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

DAY ONE - Where's Sponge Bob when you really need him - HE Should be here today.
    We have seen a few post's come in - I was hoping there would of been load's of speed test before and after result's - when I got in from work.
    A technological roll out not seen since win 95 - colour tv or dial up or all the rest has been seen and is now happening in front of us.
    Wait Till You see the TV.

Maybe if ye commissioned a few more cabinets there would be a lot more results :P

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

And we still have vectoring to look forward to.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

They will not commission cab's that are not being commissioned without being commissioned first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The address checker is finally showing my address and says its available but the phone number checker says it doesnt. So jealous of you guys that have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

DAY ONE - Where's Sponge Bob when you really need him - HE Should be here today.
    We have seen a few post's come in - I was hoping there would of been load's of speed test before and after result's - when I got in from work.
    A technological roll out not seen since win 95 - colour tv or dial up or all the rest has been seen and is now happening in front of us.
    Wait Till You see the TV.

he's banned I think

Advertisement