Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I was reading some posts from BT infinity users in the UK and they seem to be complaining about similar 30ms+ pings in some cases.

It was suggested that these may drop after a few days as the DLM (dynamic line management) figures out the most appropriate profile for your line.

Apparently the DSLAM can suddenly decide that your line is sufficiently stable to reduce interleaving but that it will always start off with a relatively 'safe' profile until it sees a long period of stable connections.

I'd say keep hammering the eircom talk 2 forum about ping times too though as they might look at it more closely.

Ring tech support too

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Praetorian wrote: »
    Not all the current providers have put their cards on the table. There is still no word from Imagine for example. A well established operator.

Last I got from talking to someone in Imagine (just the other day):

"We hope to have our own fibre bundles available in thecoming months"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Codpeas wrote: »
    Last I got from talking to someone in Imagine (just the other day):

"We hope to have our own fibre bundles available in thecoming months"

My rep isn't even responding to me anymore. But come Monday if I don't have a reply & solid info I will be moving €1000+ per months DSL lines to Vodafone / Magnet / Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Interesting, I thought they had finished all they were going to do in castlebar 2 months ago....

Definitely Eircom?

i didnt see any eircom logos but it was a fibre cab. i was driving. ill confirm on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Regarding the ping time.

can someone ping a cabinet; i.e there default gateway which can be found in there router web info page or by doing a tracert to a site.

Then ping the next hop after the cabinet and so on.

This should help identify where the latency is being added, whether its at the cabinet, due to interleaving or at the fiber aggregation node back at the exchange.

By pinging the cabinet alone it should tell us a lot.

• Advertisement

Cork981 wrote: »
    Regarding the ping time.

can someone ping a cabinet; i.e there default gateway which can be found in there router web info page or by doing a tracert to a site.

This should help identify where the latency is being added, whether its at the cabinet, due to interleaving or at the fiber aggregation node back at the exchange.

Worth a try but some of those devices may ignore ping requests

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So spent nearly an hour talking to Eircom sales & support. Its madness! The end result being the two sub exchanges (whatever that means and I asked but they didnt really know themselves) are not connected to the fiber. I would have thought the sub exchanges are the cabinets, but apparently not.

So its not down to the distance as I was first told, and even though I was told (by sales) that I should be getting 5MB on the line, the tech support said I was only supposed to get 2MB - now neither sales nor support could understand why they were saying different things.

One possible suggestion was to get a new line in (107 euro please) but there was no way to see if this would improve the speeds. Other possible suggestion was to be moved to a different exchange (would lose the phone # though) but I had them check this and the speeds would have been the same from either "sub"-exchange.

Looks like I may have to wait a little bit longer and see if they commission/enable the two cabs close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

any ideas when south galway area will be upgraded?

particularly kilcolgan, ardrahan gort areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

So far we haven't seen anyone with eircom or any 70mb installs. As I posted previously I am with eircom and I am booked for an install next Wednesday morning but they aren't in a position to offer 70mb yet in Ennis at least if not nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Are VF the only people doing a broadband only package i.e. no phone at the the moment?
    We have a phone that I haasn't been used in probably over a year. Might as well just get rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭user1842

Can a picture be posted of both the Vodafone and Eircom VDSL routers (if they are different)?

Also can you get an non-wireless router (basically just a switch) from them, has anyone asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

user1842 wrote: »
    Can a picture be posted of both the Vodafone and Eircom VDSL routers (if they are different)?

Also can you get an non-wireless router (basically just a switch) from them, has anyone asked?

From the Vodafone forum here on boards :)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056954601

HTH

Wireless can be turned off and if you wanted to put something behind it, you can put it in bridge mode

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Neighbors got it installed: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2728519667.png
    I've no idea what setup yer mans using, just put that up on facebook. I hope mine is far higher!
    We're both a max of 500m from 2 cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

Any Ideas on when the Ballinasloe exchange will go live and has there been any cabs installed in the area as yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone here with digiweb?

I'm shocked at their prices €89.95 per month on a 18 month contract and a €49 euro set up fee!!

Eircom are 60 for the same package as far as I can see

They have updated the map my area says May-June:D

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/bundles/fibre

https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone here with digiweb?

I'm shocked at their prices €89.95 per month on a 18 month contract and a €49 euro set up fee!!

Eircom are 60 for the same package as far as I can see

They have updated the map my area says May-June:D

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/bundles/fibre

In contract with them for another 8 months so just renewed and went with fiber.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/fibre

54.95 for 70/20 and unlimited VoIP calls ain't to bad.

I'm on the church field exchange in cork and going live on the 2nd of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thanks was just onto them there my contract expired today :D

How did you find out when your exchange is going live, hopefully the Cobh one will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

After abit of digging around the zyxel site, i found the data sheet for their FTTx products and found the specs of the e-fibre modem, took a screenshot and they can be found in the image below.

Zyxel VMG8324 is the official name for the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

That looks cool but eircom will probably cripple it by putting on their own custom firmware which can't be wiped or upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

neddynasty wrote: »
    Are VF the only people doing a broadband only package i.e. no phone at the the moment?
    We have a phone that I haasn't been used in probably over a year. Might as well just get rid.

eircom are offering a standalone efibre package, yes. it wont be available if you have phonewatch as you need the phone line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Regarding the ping time.

it doesn't work like that - the DSLAM/cabinet is not a layer 3 gateway. If you're on (for example) Vodafone, the next hop after your Huawei modem will be some router on Vodafone's network.

In contract with them for another 8 months so just renewed and went with fiber.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/fibre

54.95 for 70/20 and unlimited VoIP calls ain't to bad.

I'm on the church field exchange in cork and going live on the 2nd of June.

Except for the download cap!
    If I were you I'd go with another provider!
    Vodafone and eircom both do the tip speed at a better price than that without the cap!

Both also do a broadband only option but in eircom's case it's just not on the website you have to ask their sales people!

loyatemu wrote: »
    it doesn't work like that - the DSLAM/cabinet is not a layer 3 gateway. If you're on (for example) Vodafone, the next hop after your Huawei modem will be some router on Vodafone's network.

I assumed the cabinet would be a c class network which would hand out IP's to clients as needed.

I always found the lowest ping to be the first hop after your modem so assumed it must be a router near the dslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Just reading back through the last few pages, there's a lot of emphasis being placed on ping times via Speedtest.net.

Flash is not accurate when measuring ping times. It's not even that accurate at measuring throughput.

If you want to determine how good your pings are, send your own ICMP ping packets in the DOS/terminal. See below.
    ping eircom.net
    ping boards.ie
    ping google.ie

Or use Pingtest.net since it uses Java behind the scenes; Flash is only used as the front-end GUI.

If your pings are abnormally high when you try either of those, then you should worry. If not, then don't worry one bit.
    I assumed the cabinet would be a c class network which would hand out IP's to clients as needed.

I always found the lowest ping to be the first hop after your modem so assumed it must be a router near the dslam.
    If only! Imagine then all the customers of other operators being able to determine if they're having problems with their operator or if the fault is with Eircom at the exchange/cabinet. You'd never have to listen to Vodafone or the likes blaming Eircom if your troubles only begin after you've gotten past the exchange. You'd know it was them and you'd be able to tell them to ditch the excuses.

Ideally would have liked to go with Eircom but stuck in a contract with Digiweb for a few months and willing o wait.

Currently im on metro 30mb with a 100GB cap which was never a problem for me so 200GB should be plenty for me.

Wondering though if Eircom launch IPTV wil it be available to everyone on just eircom customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

it will only be eircom customers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spotted an Eircom tech with his head in the cab near my house,good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

jca wrote: »
    Those pings are terrible. Ever since I went to sky bb my ping times have doubled from 15 ms to 30 ms which makes gaming impossible. The teenagers in the house aren't happy with me. I thought all would be perfect when fibre arrives, now I'm not so sure.

30ms is very very good for gaming. I've been gaming with 80-90ms for years.

2729073653.png

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

spix wrote: »
    30ms is very very good for gaming. I've been gaming with 80-90ms for years.

I hear that, was gaming on 3G midband for years myself. All the same I'd expect an improvement on pings whenever the distance of copper is halved, or more in some cases, its not so much that the ping itself is bad all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I hear that, was gaming on 3G midband for years myself. All the same I'd expect an improvement on pings whenever the distance of copper is halved, or more in some cases, its not so much that the ping itself is bad all round.

I reckon increasing the speed will shoot the pings back up again.

Halving the copper line = decrease in ping

Forcing more speed down a copper line = increase in ping

If you asked Eircom to lower the speed of your FTTC connection, the ping may decrease/improve.

Advertisement