Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Whats your modem stats at the minute? Pings a fair bit higher than mine:confused:
    About 900 Meters to the exchange here by road.

Data rate(Kbps) 8160 512 Noise Margin 12 22 Output power(dBm) 12 19 Attenuation(dB) 22 11

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

PeadarB wrote: »
    About 900 Meters to the exchange here by road.

Data rate(Kbps) 8160 512 Noise Margin 12 22 Output power(dBm) 12 19 Attenuation(dB) 22 11

Jaysus sure I'm 2.5Km out from it, surely you should have the lower ping!

Jaysus sure I'm 2.5Km out from it, surely you should have the lower ping!
    Have always had a poor line here(They must have taken it via the Port Bridge!!!). Hopefully that will be resolved this week.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So I am on a fibre enabled exchange (Douglas, Cork) however my number is not fibre enabled yet (none I my estate appear to be). Is there any to find out how long it will be before fibre actually becomes available to me? Sorry if this has been answered many times already but having trouble finding an answer.

Ludo wrote: »
    So I am on a fibre enabled exchange (Douglas, Cork) however my number is not fibre enabled yet (none I my estate appear to be). Is there any to find out how long it will be before fibre actually becomes available to me? Sorry if this has been answered many times already but having trouble finding an answer.

Not as far as I know. People seem to be having this problem in all "enabled" areas as Eircom cant commission the cabinets fast enough. Unless you can get in touch with a local engineer working on them you're only going to get marketing waffle from everyone else as they simply don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure that there is, AFAIK, once the cab is commissioned then all the ISPs get 28 days notice of launch date for sales. If you see anyone working on the cab ask them how close is it to completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

New cab is in place next to the old one for the last month/6 weeks at least (can't remember exactly when I saw them installing it) so hopefully wont be too long...thanks guys. Very impatient to get something faster then my current 3 meg connection :-)

New cab is in place next to the old one for the last month/6 weeks at least (can't remember exactly when I saw them installing it) so hopefully wont be too long...thanks guys. Very impatient to get something faster then my current 3 meg connection :-)

The cab for our estate is in place for over a week but the fibre isn't in yet. I saw contractors surveying boxes lately so they must be checking the ducting. Hope they don't encounter problems.

phog wrote: »
    The cab for our estate is in place for over a week but the fibre isn't in yet. I saw contractors surveying boxes lately so they must be checking the ducting. Hope they don't encounter problems.

Edited to add.

They seem to rod the duct then pull in a rope, that's used to pull in sub duct ( orange). The fibre is then blown into one of the pipes in the subduct. A lot of unseen work but at least I can see a cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Solair wrote: »
    From a faults point of view is there any advantage to ditching the link back to the exchange and only having broadband from the cabinet?

Seems like there's potential for cable faults that could hit the broadband. The filters could remove unwanted line noise before adding the VDSL at the cabinet but I mean for example a short to earth or anything electrical is going to screw up the line and pass through the filters.

I'm thinking in my own case of getting a broadband only connection on our second line then porting the landline to blueface

not really, moreso just the distance issue, but what is happening, with the higher speeds and wider frequency spectrum, it's showing up lines which aren't 100%, now these may work fine for PSTN, and ADSLx but with VDSL, these problems which could be let lye, and wouldn't cause much hassle with service, now do, so have to be fixed....

in theory, anything from the e-side cable, to and from the new cabs should be filtered so it should not effect from the cab out the customer and visa versa.
    The apprentices are not allowed by the company to do over time (why I don't know) , the C.W.U has been pushing the company to take on another 290 apprentices this year ,more than that I don't know at the moment.
    In order to do the install's , we need all the back office support team's that are never mentioned here , the NMC and our internal b/band support in City West, the controller's in Cork and Sligo , field support in Tralee and Watersford , Field force and the NRT team's to name but a few, when an Eircom tech is working , we have all these support's behind us , without them it can be very hard to get any thing done.

apprentices have been able to do overtime since circa January/February. they were pulled in for that overtime to bring down the fault index after the storms earlier in the year, particularly around Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and the midlands.

I doubt there will be an intake of apprentices until this program has run its course and they decide what changes to make.

good point on the back room staff, it's often a forgotten aspect of the field staff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

arctan or 10belowzero

Perhaps an obvious question for you guys, but are both pairs being connected on both the customer side and the cab side to allow future upgrade to bonded DSL easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I was on to Eircom sales just now on behalf if a friend down the road.
    Her exact address came up in the checker and we thought she was good to go. The rep said she couldn't get eFibre when she gave the number.

He also said that you can't get the eFibre product if you are more than 1 km from your nearest cabinet. She is exactly 1 km away.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I was on to Eircom sales just now on behalf if a friend down the road.
    Her exact address came up in the checker and we thought she was good to go. The rep said she couldn't get eFibre when she gave the number.

He also said that you can't get the eFibre product if you are more than 1 km from your nearest cabinet. She is exactly 1 km away.

The cab may still need to be comissioned or the actual cable route may be longer than the 1km route she measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

phog wrote: »
    The cab may still need to be comissioned or the actual cable route may be longer than the 1km route she measured.

The cabinet is commissioned. Why I was surprised at was that they said that even if the can is enabled, if you are 1km or over away from the cab, then you are not eligible for eFibre.

I thought that the whole idea was that the cabinet becomes the exchange essentially. Looks like its only for people within 1 km of the cab and everyone else can go jump.

Still waiting on the technician here... I take it they do 2 installs in the morning or something and I'm the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

MMAGirl wrote: »
    The cabinet is commissioned. Why I was surprised at was that they said that even if the can is enabled, if you are 1km or over away from the cab, then you are not eligible for eFibre.

I thought that the whole idea was that the cabinet becomes the exchange essentially. Looks like its only for people within 1 km of the cab and everyone else can go jump.

Yeah I don't get that either. How come the speed from the cabinet degrades much quicker than the speed from the exchange?

The exchange provides a max speed of 24 mb, the cabinet provides a max speed of 70 mb, so the technology in both must be completely different.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DSL technology is all distance based.

The high speeds over VDSL only work over short distances, when you get to 1km line length, the speed of VDSL quickly drops to the same as ADSL. See the chart here:

fttn-speed-graph.gif

Now even at 1km there would be some benefit, but at least for now, it seems that Eircom is perhaps wisely limiting it to only people who benefit the most from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there a number to call to check the status of your order? Just would like to find out if it's even been processed yet. Through eircom

Still waiting on the technician here... I take it they do 2 installs in the morning or something and I'm the second.
    I see KN working on your cab there. The eircom vans are flying all around the place. Just passed four heading your way. Still it's lunchtime and they may be going to the yard.

PeadarB wrote: »
    I see KN working on your cab there. The eircom vans are flying all around the place. Just passed four heading your way. Still it's lunchtime and they may be going to the yard.

That KN man was connecting me up :D
    All sorted now just working out the IPoE bridge settings and getting my NAT sorted.
    I'll be back to yous when I've my comparison post wrote up!
    For now the first speed test on the desktop:
    2734464660.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

That KN man was connecting me up :D
    All sorted now just working out the IPoE bridge settings and getting my NAT sorted.
    I'll be back to yous when I've my comparison post wrote up!
    For now the first speed test on the desktop:
    2734464660.png

Excellent stuff. Glad to see someone in LK getting sorted.
    Don't forget to post your address and wifi password. (And if you could line up an extension lead too that would be great. Battery on the aul laptop's not great! :D )

Mickalus wrote: »
    Excellent stuff. Glad to see someone in LK getting sorted.
    Don't forget to post your address and wifi password. (And if you could line up an extension lead too that would be great. Battery on the aul laptop's not great! :D )

Haha aye, I'll buy a mast off three so you can all contend for it! (nah that might actually end up being faster than three's service - can't have that now:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

some results before i get upgraded, tested with network cable into the router.

2734529856.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/81768907.png

ping time to boards.ie 33ms

ping to bbc.co.uk 43ms

I can also confirm that i spotted 2 eircom vans parked beside the new cabinet in breaffy today.

Right, this will be a long one but it should have the hard numbers to satisfy everyone. I know I was waiting on some!
    Technician came round to me today, came around 12:10 had some issues with a Vodafone customer before he came here.
    Apparently Vodafone is giving them a lot of bother with the system, delaying the switch from ADSL to VDSL and the likes.
    He only used one pair when he was hooking it up to the socket, they're told not to bother wiring up the other pair.
    Finished up by 13:10, as I had the network running by the time he got back up from the cabinet ;)

Be sure and compare the pings in the 2 Imgur albums for more info on how the line performs in everyday applications.

8Mb Line Stats, Pings, Trace route, Bandwidth tests and pictures of modem and socket in this Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/k1JRD

8Mb Speedtest:
    2732789576.png
    8Mb Pingtest:
    81729608.png

50Mb Modem interface screenshots, Pings, Trace route, Bandwidth tests and pictures of modem and socket in this Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/4VRr8
    (Was satisfyingly quick to upload these :cool:)
    50Mb Speedtest:
    2734497167.png
    50Mb Pingtest:
    81768491.png
    That's not an error; my latency on ping stats has more than doubled. Deciefer was right, there is heavy interleaving on Eircoms VDSL2 profile. See more data in the 50Mb Imgur album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Looking good Tommy ;) but make sure to hide your IP in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

Can you not just be happy with what you got? This time last year you where in a epic battle for control of your local mast to make the most out of your 3g. Elitist ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Right, this will be a long one but it should have the hard numbers to satisfy everyone. I know I was waiting on some!
    Technician came round to me today, came around 12:10 had some issues with a Vodafone customer before he came here.
    Apparently Vodafone is giving them a lot of bother with the system, delaying the switch from ADSL to VDSL and the likes.
    He only used one pair when he was hooking it up to the socket, they're told not to bother wiring up the other pair.
    Finished up by 13:10, as I had the network running by the time he got back up from the cabinet ;)

Be sure and compare the pings in the 2 Imgur albums for more info on how the line performs in everyday applications.

8Mb Line Stats, Pings, Trace route, Bandwidth tests and pictures of modem and socket in this Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/k1JRD

8Mb Speedtest:
    2732789576.png
    8Mb Pingtest:
    81729608.png

50Mb Modem interface screenshots, Pings, Trace route, Bandwidth tests and pictures of modem and socket in this Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/4VRr8
    (Was satisfyingly quick to upload these :cool:)
    50Mb Speedtest:
    2734497167.png
    50Mb Pingtest:
    81768491.png
    That's not an error; my latency on ping stats has more than doubled. Deciefer was right, there is heavy interleaving on Eircoms VDSL2 profile. See more data in the 50Mb Imgur album.

What's plugged into the Phone 2 port?
    I'd have assumed that's for a future VoIP product?

red_bairn wrote: »
    Looking good Tommy ;) but make sure to hide your IP in future :D

I've already changed that, just rebooted the modem :P

The cordless BT phone I have is plugged into the phone port. That's where the technician said to put it instead of the wall, although it doesn't want to work at the moment for some reason. Line is just beeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Seems most people are getting damn close to the 50mb/s down, but always about 5mb short on the upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

50Mb Pingtest:
    81768491.png
    That's a shame, hopefully it won't be permanent once the rollout matures in time.

This is what Ireland vs. the UK in ping times should be around on (V)DSL(2):
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\D>ping rte.ie

Pinging rte.ie [89.207.56.140] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.207.56.140:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 13ms

C:\Users\D>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.251.195] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.251.195: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=117
    Reply from 212.58.251.195: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=117

Ping statistics for 212.58.251.195:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 25ms

At least it's a consistent overhead so your connection is still stable. I had to live with it like that from July 2008 until January 2012 and it didn't destroy my gaming experience. It'll be grand overall and now at least you have speeds far beyond what you could've gotten before. Enjoy it!

Advertisement