Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

He only used one pair when he was hooking it up to the socket, they're told not to bother wiring up the other pair.

They are never going to introduce line bonding in that case.

More hype of "System is capable of" BS.

If they were going to introduce bonding they would be hooking up the other two cables now.

Either that or they run their business badly.

Could be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Not going well in my gaff. One of the 2 eircom engineer has been on his mobile and he was asking where the cabinet was to the other guy on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

They are never going to introduce line bonding in that case.

More hype of "System is capable of" BS.

If they were going to introduce bonding they would be hooking up the other two cables now.

Either that or they run their business badly.

Could be either.

they'd have to connect the copper at both ends, which would double the number of ports required in the cabinets. Eircom aren't flush with money, they may not want to have to install a whole bunch of DSLAMs this year that will then lie idle for several years before they get around to selling channel bonding.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

RPHyU9a.png
    I guess that puts it in perspective. 5.5MB/s download rate in Steam at the moment.
    Yeah I hope they sort out the interleaving soon enough but christ I'm ecstatic I'm getting the full speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

irishgeo wrote: »
    some results before i get upgraded, tested with network cable into the router.

ping time to boards.ie 33ms

ping to bbc.co.uk 43ms

I can also confirm that i spotted 2 eircom vans parked beside the new cabinet in breaffy today.
    If you get a chance when the engineer comes can you ask him what cabinet serves mountain view and when it will will it be activated? Talking to eircom sales they don't seem to have a clue. Thanks a bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

loyatemu wrote: »
    they'd have to connect the copper at both ends, which would double the number of ports required in the cabinets. Eircom aren't flush with money, they may not want to have to install a whole bunch of DSLAMs this year that will then lie idle for several years before they get around to selling channel bonding.

But it would make sense to at least do it on the customer side, so another customer visit isn't required, only a visit to the cab.

They obviously aren't planning to do channel bonding in future so. Just vectoring.

bk wrote: »
    But it would make sense to at least do it on the customer side, so another customer visit isn't required, only a visit to the cab.

They obviously aren't planning to do channel bonding in future so. Just vectoring.

Spot on, they never were intending to do it by the looks of it. Just a bit of marketing to show how they future proofed the network.

I would love to be proved wrong but this is Eircom.

Its also the language the Eircom engineer used "Told not to bother" if that is the line they are giving the engineers I can only imagine that they have no intention of bonding at any point in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've already changed that, just rebooted the modem :P

The cordless BT phone I have is plugged into the phone port. That's where the technician said to put it instead of the wall, although it doesn't want to work at the moment for some reason. Line is just beeping.

That's a bit odd - AFAIK, they haven't launched a VoIP product for eFibre yet, so maybe it just doesn't work?

Phone should be plugged into the socket marked with a phone symbol on the wall jack for the POTS service from the local exchange if you still have a dial-tone service connected.

Spot on, they never were intending to do it by the looks of it. Just a bit of marketing to show how they future proofed the network.

I would love to be proved wrong but this is Eircom.

Its also the language the Eircom engineer used "Told not to bother" if that is the line they are giving the engineers I can only imagine that they have no intention of bonding at any point in the future.

The future-proofing is that there are two wires entering your home. If you upgraded to a future bonded pair product, they'd need to call out to set it up anyway. It's fairly trivial stuff once the wires are actually running to the socket anyway.

They'd still have to connect the line to 2 ports on a DSLAM, so it would require an engineer visit to the cabinet anyway.

Solair wrote: »
    The future-proofing is that there are two wires entering your home. If you upgraded to a future bonded pair product, they'd need to call out to set it up anyway. It's fairly trivial stuff once the wires are actually running to the socket anyway.

They'd still have to connect the line to 2 ports on a DSLAM, so it would require an engineer visit to the cabinet anyway.

True enough, I just dont trust them at all.

• Advertisement

That's a bit odd - AFAIK, they haven't launched a VoIP product for eFibre yet, so maybe it just doesn't work?

Phone should be plugged into the socket marked with a phone symbol on the wall jack for the POTS service from the local exchange if you still have a dial-tone service connected.

Second socket has no dial tone at all:confused:
    I'm going to futer around with the modem settings and see whats going on here..

Dont do that, you will revert back to dial up if you mess it up!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

We have VoIP on our NGB service. How would they not have it on eFibre? Do you mean as a bundle?

Second socket has no dial tone at all:confused:

Did you order a naked VDSL product i.e. broadband only?

I'd say in that case you'll have to provide your own VoIP. I haven't seen anything about an eFibre VoIP product yet.

Also, make sure you're using the original cable with that BT phone with an RJ-to-UK adaptor. BT has some rather bizarre non-standard wiring of RJ11 cords which can do strange things to normal RJ11 sockets. We had one which paralleled the phone line on the centre pair and the outer pair of the RJ11 plug.

I think their idea was that if you plugged in a BT-weird RJ11 cord with the phone line carried on the wrong pins or a standard one with the phone line on the right pins it would work either way.

The problem was the eircom socket was doing something weird with other pins too and the net result was the BT phone shorted the line! The only solution was to use it with an RJ11 cable that only had 2 pins.

red_bairn wrote: »
    We have VoIP on our NGB service. How would they not have it on eFibre? Do you mean as a bundle?

I mean, as far as I am aware, as yet they don't offer any VoIP service from the e-fibre modem itself.

The device has 2 phone ports on the back and can provide VoIP i.e. the same as UPC's setup where you plug a phone into the router/modem and it provides a dial tone.

However, eircom are still providing dial tone (POTS) service from the local exchange along the line. So, I think they haven't actually rolled out a VoIP replacement service (yet). So, I'm assuming those two phone ports on the modem itself aren't active.

some results before i get upgraded, tested with network cable into the router.

ping time to boards.ie 33ms

ping to bbc.co.uk 43ms

I can also confirm that i spotted 2 eircom vans parked beside the new cabinet in breaffy today.
    If you get a chance when the engineer comes can you ask him what cabinet serves mountain view and when it will will it be activated? Talking to eircom sales they don't seem to have a clue. Thanks a bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

50Mb Modem interface screenshots, Pings, Trace route, Bandwidth tests and pictures of modem and socket in this Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/4VRr8
    (Was satisfyingly quick to upload these :cool:)
    50Mb Speedtest:
    2734497167.png
    50Mb Pingtest:
    81768491.png
    That's not an error; my latency on ping stats has more than doubled. Deciefer was right, there is heavy interleaving on Eircoms VDSL2 profile. See more data in the 50Mb Imgur album.
    I'm not impressed with these upload speeds. For instance you're only getting around 65% of the advertised upload speed. I'm really hoping to get the Ultimate package for the 20Mbps Upload.

Have you ever got anywhere near 12-15Mbps Upload yet?

Manc Red wrote: »
    I'm not impressed with these upload speeds. For instance you're only getting around 65% of the advertised upload speed. I'm really hoping to get the Ultimate package for the 20Mbps Upload.

Have you ever got anywhere near 12-15Mbps Upload yet?

Theoretical max speed out of the upload sync according to the modem is 11Mbps. I've only seen 9Mb so far.
    Its far better than the 0.4Mb I was getting for the same price yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Interestingly enough I asked eircom on twitter to an approx date as to when the cabinet to my estate may be enabled.

He said it is already enabled but the address system needs to be updated and that they have sent a few examples and are awaiting an update.

I asked would he know how long that would take, but he said he'd let me know when there was any news. He was helpful though to be fair!

If this is the case in my situation should they not be taking orders from the actual addresses and could still do the installs from the cabinets that are enabled, but are just not listed on the checker? :confused:

1 hr 40 mins later and we are still not live. Must be their first install.

• Advertisement

Did they find the cabinet yet? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've not been impressed by the upload rates reported so far as well. Seems to be easy enough to hit 50m/bit down, but hard to hit 15m/bit up. Has anyone actually seen any results for a 70 x 20 product yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 ian82

did everyone who got fibre installed get a text the day before ? i have an appointment tomorrow afternoon but i thought i was supposed to get a text ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

praetorian, word has it eircom are not rolling out the 70mb yet, its 50mb for the time being and dont ask me why!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Haha maybe it's better that my house isn't in the checker yet. Let them get the experience first. :P

Any luck yet man?

They can come practice on my house if they want :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    praetorian, word has it eircom are not rolling out the 70mb yet, its 50mb for the time being and dont ask me why!!!

the Network product is up to 70Mbps downstream and up to 20Mbps upstream - how individual operators choose to slice and dice it is down to them :)

Vodafone offer up to 70Mbps on all pacakges, I tihnk Magnet & Digiweb do too - eircom offer 50Mbps on entry and 70Mbps in higher end.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I've not been impressed by the upload rates reported so far as well. Seems to be easy enough to hit 50m/bit down, but hard to hit 15m/bit up. Has anyone actually seen any results for a 70 x 20 product yet?

Ive seen one result @ almost 70/20 - average ones I see are 45/10 and up

A lot better than the typical 512Kbps upload of ADSL in fairness...

crawler wrote: »
    Ive seen one result @ almost 70/20 - average ones I see are 45/10 and up

A lof better than the typical 512Kbps upload of ADSL in fairness...
    They buggered off and I have no Internet and they broken the phone as well.

They reckon I need to phone Vodafone.

Wait till you see the wiring job

DOes it usually work straight away.?

They reckon I can get 42down and 10 up.

• Advertisement

Some installs are easier than others :)

Advertisement