Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

irishgeo wrote: »
    They buggered off and I have no Internet and they broken the phone as well.

They reckon I need to phone Vodafone.

Wait till you see the wiring job

DOes it usually work straight away.?

They reckon I can get 42down and 10 up.

It depends on how much wiring work is needed and the original copper etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

did they make a balls of it??are they coming back tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭phog

What lights are working in the modem? Have you rang Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Maybe they thought they were installing "eircom hispeed" dual channel 128 kb superfast goodness.

In fairness, there has to be teething problems with a few early installs. They will get better & faster.

Unlucky as it is for you, you will get sorted!

Imagine still not even offering the products yet for my home. I may be over 1km from the cabinet, or I might be 250 metres. I bet I'm 1km from it :( I'll be asking for the prize for the lowest sync rate on these new products! At work, I'm right beside the exchange, the exchange area is completed, but it's not available yet on my numbers...I'm hoping it will be someday...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

The technician said to me that they were having a shedload of bother with vodafone and he had to call them personally to get it sorted for a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

1 hr 40 mins later and we are still not live. Must be their first install.

Pretty sure I seen your getting installed! There was a guy at that cabinet this about an hour ago! Show us your speed results when you get connected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

leigh852 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I seen your getting installed! There was a guy at that cabinet this about an hour ago! Show us your speed results when you get connected :)

If I get connected. Yeah thats only after he rang for directions to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Well there you have it folks. If the line takes a winding path to your house an is 1km long or more, you will never get fttc.
    So people who are in no broadband land will be staying in no broadband land.

Straight from the horses mouth.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056957825/1/#post84805873

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Well there you have it folks. If the line takes a winding path to your house an is 1km long or more, you will never get fttc.
    So people who are in no broadband land will be staying in no broadband land.

Straight from the horses mouth.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056957825/1/#post84805873

I'd say this limit will be pushed out after the initial rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

phog wrote: »
    I'd say this limit will be pushed out after the initial rollout.

I doubt it. It's like trying to get blood from a stone to get Eircom to give info. They just raise people's hopes and then let them down. They've been at it for years. No reason to expect anything else.
    They should be compelled to get cabinets every km so that they actually can provide bb for people who still can't get decent bb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Just got a call from Eircom. I ordered last Tuesday and got an install date for Thursday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

gazzamc wrote: »
    You do know that both those games are MMO's (Massively Multiplayer Online Games).. So obviously they will need to be played online... Single player games won't disappear any time soon....

And Sony haven't said anything about needing to connect the console to the internet to play (any game like Xbone).

And Diablo III has always Online DRM implemented so it's an exception... But when it comes to the Xbox One every game will need a connection to the internet (Activation, and then every 24hrs thereafter).

Read this might change your thinking?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/27/4369782/from-xbox-one-to-xbox-none-the-risks-of-an-internet-required-gaming

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I doubt it. It's like trying to get blood from a stone to get Eircom to give info. They just raise people's hopes and then let them down. They've been at it for years. No reason to expect anything else.
    They should be compelled to get cabinets every km so that they actually can provide bb for people who still can't get decent bb.

When ADSL was first rolled out it was similar, certain exchanges and within a certain limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

phog wrote: »
    When ADSL was first rolled out it was similar, certain exchanges and within a certain limit.
    It still is :mad::mad:

Microsoft are going crazy recently. They seem to hate customers at the moment. Sony have said that they do not require an internet connection citing poor availability in many countries as the cause.
    That's a whole other discussion that can spiral out of control though, lets just keep it to the Eircom problems here!

jca wrote: »
    It still is :mad::mad:

True but not nearly as restricted as first rollout.

I'm 7km from my exchange and getting just under 2megs. A few years back I was on dial-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bk wrote: »
    DSL technology is all distance based.

The high speeds over VDSL only work over short distances, when you get to 1km line length, the speed of VDSL quickly drops to the same as ADSL. See the chart here:

fttn-speed-graph.gif

Now even at 1km there would be some benefit, but at least for now, it seems that Eircom is perhaps wisely limiting it to only people who benefit the most from it.

To be honest I would take it over the crap 1.6 MB I am getting at the moment! Already paying for 8mb package to get the unlimited downloads.

Mc Love wrote: »
    To be honest I would take it over the crap 1.6 MB I am getting at the moment! Already paying for 8mb package to get the unlimited downloads.

Is your cab sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dont think so, number still coming up as not being enabled, but apparently the address checker is saying it is

Very disappointed with the whole install really. I took a half day from work and now going to have to get more time off tomorrow for these engineers to come back and fix the mess they have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had an Eircom tech working on the cab near my place today.I was told it'd be about 10 days before we are up & running,that was last week so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

what could they have possibly got wrong???? do you have lots of extensions etc. they should have stayed. so its eircom doing a VF install!!! I am down for wednesday 5th june 2.30pm-4.30pm. I would rather a morning call.

And going by what I was told on the phone it could be a nightmare!!

were you told your profile or was it just a case of this is what you are getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Got an appointment on balrothery for the 13th of June so the cab must be finally ready to go.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    what could they have possibly got wrong???? do you have lots of extensions etc. they should have stayed. so its eircom doing a VF install!!! I am down for wednesday 5th june 2.30pm-4.30pm. I would rather a morning call.

And going by what I was told on the phone it could be a nightmare!!

were you told your profile or was it just a case of this is what you are getting?

Only 1 point and a house alarm. No idea what went wrong. I don't even have a broadband connection. I was told I be getting 44 down and 10up.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Only 1 point and a house alarm. No idea what went wrong. I don't even have a broadband connection. I was told I be getting 44 down and 10up.
    What cabinet are you on in Cbar ? want to see if there's a sticker on it.

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    What cabinet are you on in Cbar ? want to see if there's a sticker on it.
    No sticker on any cab in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

They really do try and make it as difficult as possible to find out what cabs are activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    They really do try and make it as difficult as possible to find out what cabs are activated.

Yeah and mine is supposedly active, but I still can't get it because they have to update the address system. God knows how long that will take!

My SNR is leveling off a bit higher now, the DSLAM seems to be training in every hour or so as I see a massive ping spike and a few dropped packets on my ping that's been running all day. Line is up to 11.484Mbps "attainable" upload and my upload has risen to 9.5Mb on speedtest. Download is at 57.168Mbps "attainable". I'm assuming that this means that if i was on the 70Mb those are the max speeds the line will sync at, but they're capped at 10.685 up and 50.261 down on this package. Surely I'd get away without interleaving now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

No sticker on any cab in Castlebar.

There is on the cabs with copper lines, no sticker on the new fibre cabs in castlebar.

Advertisement