Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

seen a cabinet in at dunbeag Estate in C/bar this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

jjspine wrote: »
    Got an appointment on balrothery for the 13th of June so the cab must be finally ready to go.

Do you mind me asking who with? There is only one cabinet ready to go in Balrothery and that is in Balruddery Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

dubmick wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking who with? There is only one cabinet ready to go in Balrothery and that is in Balruddery Woods.

One installed and not commissioned, one up and running and one MIA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

There is on the cabs with copper lines, no sticker on the new fibre cabs in castlebar.

Seen a yellow sticker on the new cab at the curragh, castlebar yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Seen a yellow sticker on the new cab at the curragh, castlebar yesterday

I'm in Chestnut Grove, and getting installed on Wednesday afternoon from Eircom.

This is my eircom point, inside just above the front door.
    photo2dce.jpg

I have split it with one line going into my attic for my broadband modem, and one line to a place in the hall for the phone line.

Is this what they change?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

bk wrote: »
    arctan or 10belowzero

Perhaps an obvious question for you guys, but are both pairs being connected on both the customer side and the cab side to allow future upgrade to bonded DSL easier?

not being done atm .... too many variables, it may seem very straight forward, but the amount of places you come to where the second pair on a underground or overhead cable is in use, meaning a second cable (which could be redundant for a few years) being run, or pulled in,

then there is the problem of d-side cable capacity, in some areas, a 10 pair cable could be used to serve 6 customers, if they all went on bonded VDSL that's 12 pairs, in some areas it would be a whole network re-structure and an extremely long and costly copper install process...

lets get the e-side part sorted first, I think they only want to even start thinking of a dside overhaul like the above when FTTH might eventually get implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

RogerThis wrote: »
    I'm in Chestnut Grove, and getting installed on Wednesday afternoon from Eircom.
    Is this what they change?

They change this:http://i.imgur.com/Jud7oIvh.jpg
    To this: http://i.imgur.com/sGrQ0rA.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the detailed answer arctan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

arctan wrote: »
    then there is the problem of d-side cable capacity, in some areas, a 10 pair cable could be used to serve 6 customers, if they all went on bonded VDSL that's 12 pairs, in some areas it would be a whole network re-structure and an extremely long and costly copper install process...

Not to forget that there's also a limited number of ports in each cab. If uptake were very high, you'd need to increase the number of DSLAM ports.

I'd say FTTH might be done at that stage. It can't be THAT difficult to take a fibre from the cabinet and push it through the ducts or string it overhead. They do it with services like Verizon's FiOS in the US without much fuss at all.

If anything, eircom's local access network's physical infrastructure (ducts, cabinets, poles etc) looks a hell of a lot less messy than many US systems do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

it's the last 10-40 meters in UG areas that would be the problem.... UG areas are usually in dense population urban/suburban settings, i.e. a good majority of the customer base ....

if there is no ducting from the jointbox to the premises (which is the case in the majority of areas), this has to be put in, I think the going rate for this is circa €800 euro per home .... not a viable option at this current moment

overhead, in overhead areas is a possible option, but if you were to swap an underground area to overhead, there would be uproar (also over head isnt always a good option in some places)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Left out again. My area, is surrounded by areas due to be enabled in 2014. But my area, nada. Less than 30Km from Dublin and all I can get is 2mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Had a close call there with the Zyxel F1000. Had unplugged everything to tidy up the cable mess that was left from the old modem and the phone handset and on turning it back on it was stuck in a reboot loop. :eek:
    Must have been a setting gone awry somewhere from me plugging it out when it was on or maybe it was one of the bridge settings wrong and it was getting messed up by the other router.
    Had to turn it on without the DSL cable plugged in, leave it a few mins then reset everything to factory details, leave it to restart again and now its running again. Needless to say it wont be feckin touched now its running again. :o
    Bit more finicky than the P660.... Had pretty much every setting changed on it at some stage, more to see what it did than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's the case with our P660, it sits on the rack in bridge mode with us afraid even to breathe on it. Was looking forward to a more stable modem :( Hopefully there'll be a firmware upgrade or something by the time they get around to our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

Finally got an answer from them. They said they had my appointment booked for june 5th. I literally had to make like 6 phone calls to get that out of them. The first 5 phone calls where them just saying "they'll call me back". Which never happened (Even gave them over a week to call me). Eircom need to step their game up. Their customer care is extremely poor. Seems like they just want to make any story up to get you off their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

dubmick wrote: »

Ye ordered with eircom third time lucky as the previous times i was on i was told that the cab beside me was going live on the 2nd of june. this could still be the case they may just be lining people up for installs knowing the live date

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

irishgeo wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the whole install really. I took a half day from work and now going to have to get more time off tomorrow for these engineers to come back and fix the mess they have left.

umm would you be able to map that cabinet please?

Instructions here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

A really big thanks if you can...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

naughto wrote: »
    seen a cabinet in at dunbeag Estate in C/bar this evening

Could you possibly map that please?

Instructions here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

My new connection is fitted on Thursday, so here's my current details - 3mb connection. I'm at work so I don't have the pingtest handy, but here's the speedtest.

2735698076.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

KN were just in mine. The previous dweller, being the landlord, had his previous setup plugged into a small box on his window sill. They were gonna install a plate for me, but they say they need to replace the line as well. They said another engineer will call out, but absolutely no definite when, just "They'll be in touch today". Bit miffed, but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I got an email address for digiweb/smart customers to email to complain about pricing.

ewoods@digiweb.ie

once the email is she, this lady passes the email on to the pricing department.

So can every person on this forum, digiweb/smart customer or not just sent them an email and say they r too expensive,

you will help out your fellow man by doing this and let us digiweb/smart customers have a slice of that beautiful cake lol.

We r 7 working days in and i have still not even ordered fibre because its twice the price of any other isp, it will only take 5 min of your time.

Thanks folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

GIMickey wrote: »
    I got an email address for digiweb/smart customers to email to complain about pricing.

ewoods@digiweb.ie

So can every person on this forum, digiweb/smart customer or not just sent them an email and say they r too expensive,

you will help out your fellow man by doing this and let us digiweb/smart customers have a slice of that beautiful cake lol.

We r 7 working days in and i have still not even ordered fibre because its twice the price of any other isp, it will only take 5 min of your time.

Thanks folks

Just change provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Im still in contract, 5 more months. but if i wanted fibre from digiweb its 80 euro for unlimited and its 35 with vodafone for 300GB,

I would nearly be cheaper switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    What cabinet are you on in Cbar ? want to see if there's a sticker on it.

What does this sticker look like? Is it the yellow sticker up in one of the top corners of the Cab? Does this sticker indicate if the cab has been commissioned and is ready to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

What does this sticker look like? Is it the yellow sticker up in one of the top corners of the Cab? Does this sticker indicate if the cab has been commissioned and is ready to go?
    Yes the yellow sticker on new cabinets means they should be commissioned but they seem to forget to put the sticker on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Yes the yellow sticker on new cabinets means they should be commissioned but they seem to forget to put the sticker on some of them.

A cool cheers. I think there is one on my cab, will have to check later. Still not confident that i'll be able to upgrade though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    KN were just in mine. The previous dweller, being the landlord, had his previous setup plugged into a small box on his window sill. They were gonna install a plate for me, but they say they need to replace the line as well. They said another engineer will call out, but absolutely no definite when, just "They'll be in touch today". Bit miffed, but what can you do.

You're better off getting it done right though. If the line's clapped out, you'd be better off waiting for them to replace it than putting up with unstable VDSL for years to come

bealtine wrote: »
    Could you possibly map that please?

Many thanks
    went to do it an its allready done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Solair wrote: »
    You're better off getting it done right though. If the line's clapped out, you'd be better off waiting for them to replace it than putting up with unstable VDSL for years to come

Just had another engineer surprisingly come back there. He went and did some electronic tests with the line, checking it was syncing up. Whatever he did, he got me up and running. Here's the first test with Vodafone over wireless:

2736419164.png

Not too bad so far, it's quicker than what UPC were providing in my area (Dublin 20) as they currently only give upto 25Mbps downstream here, but I sometimes only got 15Mbps downstream. And it's €20 cheaper as well, so happy so far :)

id go with what Solair said above its better to have a new clean line with no faults than one that has a sh1te load and gives a lot a of hassel,even though you might end up waiting longer to get sorted.do uhave to pay for the new line?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

GIMickey wrote: »

ewoods@digiweb.ie

Thanks folks

Are the people in digiweb/smart incapable of looking at other providers' websites?

Advertisement