Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 wrote: »
    Are the people in digiweb/smart incapable of looking at other providers' websites?

No, that isn't the issue, the issue is people who are stuck in 12 month contract, but want to move now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

bk wrote: »
    No, that isn't the issue, the issue is people who are stuck in 12 month contract, but want to move now.

I think they meant the people working for Smart/Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

finally someone who talks sense.

1. My line should be active in the next 24hrs. Apparently a 48hr wait time is normal.

2. You cant have a phone line at all on simply broadband so if you have a house alarm you need to sign up for the calls package. I thought i might be able to keep the line and just pay for the calls. I keep getting a tone like the line is hung up.(someone else was on here had the same problem) Its not the same as the old none fibre simply broadband package.

3. I need to change from Simply broadband to a calls package. No one sure if this can be done.

Shame no one told this when i ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

GIMickey wrote: »
    I got an email address for digiweb/smart customers to email to complain about pricing.

ewoods@digiweb.ie

once the email is she, this lady passes the email on to the pricing department.

So can every person on this forum, digiweb/smart customer or not just sent them an email and say they r too expensive,

you will help out your fellow man by doing this and let us digiweb/smart customers have a slice of that beautiful cake lol.

We r 7 working days in and i have still not even ordered fibre because its twice the price of any other isp, it will only take 5 min of your time.

Thanks folks

I'm getting onto them now for my UAN lucky for me my contracted expired on the 25th of May.I'll tell them reason I'm switching is the crazy prices for fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    I hope this has not been covered before, if it has my apologies i have not seen the posts,
    Is there any way to find out what cabinets are now live and being worked on by engineers, last week i was told by a vodafone rep my local cab in lyndale, in maugheraboy, sligo and running off the rathedmond exchange was live and i would get a text or email to confirm an instillation before this week was out, however there are no signs of any tags on it to indicate its current status.
    many thanks all,

apophis :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Ok the reboot loop error is repeatable on the ZyXeL F1000.
    My sandwich toaster flipped the feckin fuse box earlier and everything went dark. Went to turn on the modem again and sure as christmas was rebooting for a good 10 minutes.
    If you have the VDSL connection set to bridge, it cant boot with the DSL line in, so you have to boot it without the line, set it to normal routing mode, plug the DSL line back in, then set it to bridge again and you can plug it back into your router. Every single time you reboot the modem. They need to fix that!

Interestingly, my line stats have improved ALOT since this reboot. Must be to do with the phone line coming online.
    Here's the new ones: http://i.imgur.com/x4mzX7s.png
    For some reason its saying 20Mb on upstream sync there, but I'm only getting 7Mb upstream on speed tests now all morning.... This is all very confusing business.

My phone line is up and running now again by the way, the handset works in the second "Phone" port on the wall, just had to wait 24 hours for eircom to port it over or whatever.

@apophis, as far as I know the only way to be sure is to ask a technician, though I think MMA girl had some success dealing with customer support in the eircom forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Lads, voda guy just called to the door with fibre leaflets, said the stuff is going live in Arklow in June. I thought we were stage 4? Anyone know what's happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Lads, voda guy just called to the door with fibre leaflets, said the stuff is going live in Arklow in June. I thought we were stage 4? Anyone know what's happened?

Dont mind him. Those chancers will say anything to get you signed up.

jca wrote: »
    Dont mind him. Those chancers will say anything to get you signed up.

Yeah on the same note though, a few people in town have been getting efibre leaflets from eircom themselves in the last week or so too, so I'm not so sure. The cab works have been done for about two months as well, sponge bob noting how far ahead of everyone else we were.

Yeah on the same note though, a few people in town have been getting efibre leaflets from eircom themselves in the last week or so too, so I'm not so sure. The cab works have been done for about two months as well, sponge bob noting how far ahead of everyone else we were.

Well, I did see some work in Donegal town going on during Easter even though its not set to be done till 2014! Yous might have gotten lucky but keep in mind not all the cabinets, or likely if its this early, very few, are activated at launch as the Eircom engineers have to try to catch up to the KN teams. Keep an eye on it anyway and keep the thread notified, in case its indeed available that soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Arklow (when complete) will have around 20 VDSL cabinets.

8 of them or 40% will go live in early June with the rest to follow in dribs and drabs, probably by year end. Vodafone would know which of the 20 are actually going live next month.

eircoms new definition of 'live' is to launch an exchange with fewer than 50% of cabinets fully working. In Enniscorthy they even propose to launch with only 5 out of 20+ cabinets working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

bealtine wrote: »

8 of them or 40% will go live in early June with the rest to follow in dribs and drabs, probably by year end. Vodafone would know which of the 20 are actually going live next month.

eircoms new definition of 'live' is to launch an exchange with fewer than 50% of cabinets fully working. In Enniscorthy they even propose to launch with only 5 out of 20+ cabinets working.
    Is it the cabinets that would serve the most houses that get priority or is there any logic to it?

bren50c wrote: »
    Is it the cabinets that would serve the most houses that get priority or is there any logic to it?

Not quite sure what you are asking:) I'm sure it's a mix of operational details like power, cabling and commissioning etc, many different issues...I'm pretty sure the various teams are running round like crazy at the moment.

The spread of cabinets can be seen on the boards map here : https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Just zoom to Arklow...and if you know of any cabinets not mapped please add them instructions here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

you wouldn't happen to know which ones it will be would you? because if it's these, I'd be delighted

ok can someone clarify or show me a picture?

the new eircom box has a broadband and phone socket

i have a rj11 going from my broadband port to my dsl port?

i was told it should be a rj45 cable from my broadband point to the wan port on router?

irishgeo wrote: »

i was told it should be a rj45 cable from my broadband point to the wan port on router?

I have the same connection, two RJ11s on the faceplate. I wouldn't say it makes any difference if the modems close enough to the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

rj11 connection for vdsl. they use the same modem for fibre to the home that uses the rj45 connection

you wouldn't happen to know which ones it will be would you? because if it's these, I'd be delighted

Best info suggests the following cabs (we have a good mapper in Arklow)

AKW1_001
    AKW1_002
    AKW1_003

AKW1_004

AKW1_005
    AKW1_007
    AKW1_008
    AKW1_009
    AKW1_010

AKW1_012

The two in Meadowvale are next up probably in August

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Before I got Sky I was offered eFibre from a very nice woman from Eircom.
    I went with Sky but went to Eircom's website just to check my line and apparently it's not an eFibre line....
    Rang them up and they said that my line is actually NOT an eFibre line.... *sigh*
    Not really sure why that woman rang up then...
    Carlow is phase 4 I believe.
    But anyway, my estate is in the middle of two VDSL cabinets.
    Screenshot included.
    What speeds should I expect when eFibre finally does come my way?
    I'm around 200/400 metres away from those cabinets respectively.
    qJY90oy.png
    Excuse the hand writing....couldn't get Paint to open :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

Quick question, do you have to use the master socket with fibre? Mine is in the hall and I currently use another phone point in the sitting room for the broadband.

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    Quick question, do you have to use the master socket with fibre? Mine is in the hall and I currently use another phone point in the sitting room for the broadband.

I think you do yeah. Well for the max speeds it would be advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I went with Sky but went to Eircom's website just to check my line and apparently it's not an eFibre line....
    Rang them up and they said that my line is actually NOT an eFibre line.... *sigh*
    Screenshot included.

Do you think we have omniscient powers or something? It would help if you told how us many meters away from the cabinets your house is, we can't determine these things by looking at a very vague map of your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The guy in CS told me that there'll be reps in the area shortly before the service goes live so you could be in luck.He did tell me just to ring up to order though as it's a quicker process.

Do you think we have omniscient powers or something? It would help if you told how us many meters away from the cabinets your house is, we can't determine these things by looking at a very vague map of your location.
    :eek:
    I dunno.....Maybe 200 metres for the first one and around 400 for the second :/

(we have a good mapper in Arklow)

hah, thanks :D

I went to the effort of making an individual map way back when we started mapping originally, still updating it, it shows a few ADSL ones still unupgraded. http://goo.gl/maps/eiCVj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I hope Greystones goes live soon. The majority of cabs are in place but the one near me has no power hooked up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

And let's not forget - he may not be connected to either of those cabs...

Although both are reasonably close to his estate the nature of those areas business/retail/hotel type stuff, and the housing density of the area - I'd suspect that there are a couple of other cabs lurking nearby.

Alan, while on the subject of other cabs in your area - any chance of you heading out for a walk sometime and seeing if there's a shiny new cab at the following co-ords - there's a cable cab there and we don't currently have a VDSL cab mapped (may not be there yet - but no harm in looking).

52.840148,-6.945358

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FaganJr

irishgeo wrote: »

Try here, vodafone link, but all the same after all

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056954601

Screenshot included.
    I'm around 200/400 metres away from those cabinets respectively.
    qJY90oy.png
    Bump... :)

• Advertisement

finally, tested on wifi , but at last its working

2737324296.png

Advertisement