Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I'd be happy with any of these speeds - you ungrateful buggers ! :eek::D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

AidenL wrote: »
    I'd be happy with any of these speeds - you ungrateful buggers ! :eek::D:P

I did have to deal with this for a few years:
    2407470081.png
    So of course I'm grateful!
    :P

Edited: I just noticed I've gone from slower than 97% to faster than 93% in a few months.... All it took was moving 44KM :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I did have to deal with this for a few years: http://speedtest.net/result/2407470081.png
    So of course I'm grateful!
    :P

Thats mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

VDSL Cabs Tralee My Area.jpg
    I live in the area outlined blue on the attached map. My house is 2.2km away from the nearest cab shown in Blennerville & my house is near to the red outlined star. Given this scenario how can Vodafone claim that up to 70MB is available on my line (when I use their online checker) & Eircom have all this area shaded green on their maps indicating eFibre is now available. All that being said, Vodafone told me 2 days ago my line can only handle 1MB.
    I have a nasty feeling about this. There is no population centre west of me for 10KM & I don't see any cabs going up too soon to handle such a low population density. Also there no areas near me due to "go live" later this year or in 2014.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Was on the phone again with digiweb yesterday, this said that even tho the fibre has been out a week, they could only sell it from monday 27th may, so thats y we haven't seen any digiweb speedtests.

Thanks too those who sent the email to digiweb and give out about those prices.

For those who would like to send an email send it to ewoods@digiweb.ie

To those saying to switch, im in a fecking contract. Do u not think i wanna switch i would have switched at launch date it i could have, ive been on the fone with all the providers and trying to find a way outta my contract.

The cancellation fee is remaining months x cost per month. (6 * 30 = 180) not forking that out for fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

GIMickey wrote: »

The cancellation fee is remaining months x cost per month. (6 * 30 = 180) not forking that out for fibre.

My lecturer forked out over 300 punts for a dedicated 128k connection back in the day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Anything out near Johnstown Castle won't get FTTC until 2050.

Like the rest of us in the countryside, they can still always rely on the proven PTTC.......... Pigeon To The Castle :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

GIMickey wrote: »
    Was on the phone again with digiweb yesterday, this said that even tho the fibre has been out a week, they could only sell it from monday 27th may, so thats y we haven't seen any digiweb speedtests.

Thanks too those who sent the email to digiweb and give out about those prices.

For those who would like to send an email send it to ewoods@digiweb.ie

To those saying to switch, im in a fecking contract. Do u not think i wanna switch i would have switched at launch date it i could have, ive been on the fone with all the providers and trying to find a way outta my contract.

I'm in the exact same situation. In contract until November so will be paying 180 if I cancel now. I already emailed a Sales rep from Smart stating that I intend to change providers as soon as Fibre is in my area (next 1-2 weeks according to Eircom). I'll shoot an email off to that digiweb address now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Does the new new fibre socket still use the standard phone cable to connect to the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

bush wrote: »
    Does the new new fibre socket still use the standard phone cable to connect to the router?

Yes. There's no fibre to your home in most cases other than a very small rollout of FTTH in a couple of test areas in Sandyford and Wexford.

There's fibre to the green cabinet out on the street. Then VDSL2 signals go to your house over normal phone line. The socket just acts as a high quality permanently wired in filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

ferpur wrote: »

Do you mind me asking what area you are in? I'm in Stameen and have to suffer 1.6Mb down while waiting for the cab to be commissioned. Also, do you know if UPC is available in your area? As i have a feeling that the rollout is only being done in areas where UPC is an option.

ferpur wrote: »

The reps online don't have any deep access to engineering information. They only know what is on the database in front of them.

You won't really get that kind of detailed information from any major company about local stuff.

The guys on the forums would be extremely unlikely to have the details about each cabinet.

Your best bet would be to casually ask an eircom techie locally. If you happen to see one at the site,

If you're connected to some very small mini cabinet exchange, there's a possibility they might connect you up to a cabinet routed back to the main exchange in the area.

Some areas are served by exchanges that are just cabinets themselves. Basically instead of running loads of copper cables the whole way back, recent developments meant they could install a remote mini-exchange nearer your home. Seemingly in some places it was a cost effective solution. They're not much different to an FTTC cabinet themselves except that they're using traditional voice and ADSL gear instead of VDSL and they serve a wider area.

If its one of those, you could in theory just see the cabinets upgraded as part of the parent exchange's upgrade to FTTC.

Remember this FTTC stuff is being overlaid onto the existing voice network. The two systems don't share anything in common other than the bit of cable entering your house and space in the ducts. They're effectively separate networks though.

However, I would say its s bit unlikely that they'd connect you to another major exchange in the neighbouring area.

Remember they're pushing the fibres down existing ducts. Those ducts run back to the original local exchange.

If they were to connect you to a different exchange they'd most likely have to dig and lay brand new ducts taking a different route which would be very costly.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Do you mind me asking what area you are in? I'm in Stameen and have to suffer 1.6Mb down while waiting for the cab to be commissioned. Also, do you know if UPC is available in your area? As i have a feeling that the rollout is only being done in areas where UPC is an option.

There is no UPC broadband in Drogheda unfortunately and they have no plans to come here either, despite being the largest town in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

LFCFan wrote: »
    There is no UPC broadband in Drogheda unfortunately and they have no plans to come here either, despite being the largest town in Ireland.

Oh? Ah well, that scuppers that idea.

LFCFan wrote: »

UPC rollout to places not cabled by the 1990s seems pretty non existent. They don't seem to be expanding beyond areas they've been in for decades. Even some areas of Cork City aren't fully cabled.

Most of Dublin 1 and even Merrion Square in D2 isn't covered by UPC !

Upload speed has perked up today.

2739083623.png

Edited: I think this is actually just because the Sligo server has a better download so can utilize the eFibre upload better.
    Netlimiter was showing accurate 11Mb/s to the Sligo server but no other speed test servers in Ireland came close to the 11Mbps.

Double Edited: Upload is very server specific. UK servers in general only seem to get 5Mb, but Amsterdam gave me the same results as Sligo, as did the Youtube upload I did last night. Don't trust speedtest.net for upload it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

NGB
    2737692616.png
    81837440.png

eFibre
    2739173495.png
    81866743.png

RogerThis wrote: »
    NGB

81837440.png

eFibre
    81866743.png

Substantial ping rise with you too, it seems. They really shouldn't be using this much Interleaving if at all possible!

Out of interest, could you do a speed test to the Sligo speedtest server there? The upload figures I'm getting are all over the place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Substantial ping rise with you too, it seems. They really shouldn't be using this much Interleaving if at all possible!

Out of interest, could you do a speed test to the Sligo speedtest server there? The upload figures I'm getting are all over the place.

It's been a while since I used it but the Sligo one has always been useless any time I did. I wouldn't rely on it for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

2739203245.png

I did the other tests last night at 23:00. This might have something to do with the slower ping times. But it's a good difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Can any existing customers who got there new account details can you tell me if your new monthly charges included or excluded vat.

TT09 wrote: »
    Can any existing customers who got there new account details can you tell me if your new monthly charges included or excluded vat.

"My Eircom" page hasn't updated yet, but surely someone knows anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

My efiber was only installed today but all prices quoted for residential customers have to be VAT inclusive by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

TT09 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you got a letter that says exclusive of vat as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Flibbles wrote: »
    I'm assuming you got a letter that says exclusive of vat as well?

Yes got the letter today tried calling them but kept getting transfered back and forward from billing to efibre after sales, none of them have a clue what there doing gave up after the fifth attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

it says clearly on their website that vat is included!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

I'm in Ennis, approx 150 meters from the nearest cabinet and was told by Vodafone my line could handle 70Mb/s. I had been getting 2734116872.pngup until monday morning when I got switched over, now I'm getting 2734353166.pngwith a 16MB/s upload.

According to Speedtest.net that is faster than 98% of the country.... Happy out:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

johnam wrote: »
    I'm in Ennis, approx 150 meters from the nearest cabinet and was told by Vodafone my line could handle 70Mb/s. I had been getting 2734116872.pngup until monday morning when I got switched over, now I'm getting 2734353166.pngwith a 16MB/s upload.

According to Speedtest.net that is faster than 98% of the country.... Happy out:D

Disgraceful behaviour, you should chase them over that missing 2.74 Mb/s which was promised! :D

Advertisement