Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

johnam wrote: »
    I'm in Ennis, approx 150 meters from the nearest cabinet and was told by Vodafone my line could handle 70Mb/s. I had been getting 2734116872.pngup until monday morning when I got switched over, now I'm getting 2734353166.pngwith a 16MB/s upload.

According to Speedtest.net that is faster than 98% of the country.... Happy out:D

Top speeds for vdsl so far that I've seen well done to you :) It also debunks the idea of only 50m/bit being released by Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

House is connected! I'm not home till after 5 though, and the wife refuses to do a speedtest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Flibbles wrote: »
    House is connected! I'm not home till after 5 though, and the wife refuses to do a speedtest :(

Grounds for divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

So talked to two lads at the stameen cab they said that five oaks is on either stameen or roschill cab that roschill is live so from that I inferred that five oaks is on the stameen cab
    And they say that is going live today!!!!!!
    How's that for exclamation marks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

johnam wrote: »
    I'm in Ennis, approx 150 meters from the nearest cabinet and was told by Vodafone my line could handle 70Mb/s. I had been getting 2734116872.pngup until monday morning when I got switched over, now I'm getting 2734353166.pngwith a 16MB/s upload.

According to Speedtest.net that is faster than 98% of the country.... Happy out:D

that's fair good for €30 a month. i'm raging i agreed to eircom 18month contract at €60/month. I'm in Ennis as well, in Parnell street.

they haven't rang me to upgrade since i signed up to contract and i'm still on NGB. before may 20th, i was getting a rock-solid reliable 12Mb with 40ms ping for years, now ping goes to 100ms sometimes and download speed always down at 5Megabit, sometimes 3Megabit! what's causing it? is it possible all the new 70megabit connections slowing down mine. i was happy out before, why did they have to change things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Eircom's map is saying that Cobh will be enabled in May/June. So when can we really expect it? Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

ferpur wrote: »
    So talked to two lads at the stameen cab they said that five oaks is on either stameen or roschill cab that roschill is live so from that I inferred that five oaks is on the stameen cab
    And they say that is going live today!!!!!!
    How's that for exclamation marks

Stameen going live today????? I'm actually quite surprised by that.

Nice!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Grounds for divorce.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

@gerogie, they wont ring you, they are far too busy, eircom did a prequal on all the lines in preparation for fibre and it was downwards, mine went from 7616 sync to a rock solid 6144 but speed dropped from 6.5 to 5.4 and pings went up. I am switching to fibre next wed, I am in ennis as well. I already have the VF modem/router and its not very user friendly.

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

Stameen going live today????? I'm actually quite surprised by that.

Nice!!!!!!!!!

Not according to the e-fibre line checker, where it seems to suggest 2015 is when we can expect the upgrade.

2015h.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

nc63 wrote: »
    Not according to the e-fibre line checker, where it seems to suggest 2015 is when we can expect the upgrade.

2015h.png

That line-checker is nuts. Have a look at the thread in the Talk to.... Eircom forum.

2015h.png

I honestly wouldn't put too much faith in that. Drogheda is a Fibre enabled area. They made changes to the checker which kinda borked it. Plus, the KN guys are currently, or where, at my cabinet earlier. I doubt they would start work on the cab only to force us into a 2 year wait. 1 year maybe but 2?!?!?!? :p

I honestly wouldn't put too much faith in that. Drogheda is a Fibre enabled area. They made changes to the checker which kinda borked it. Plus, the KN guys are currently, or where, at my cabinet earlier. I doubt they would start work on the cab only to force us into a 2 year wait. 1 year maybe but 2?!?!?!? :p
    I guessed the line checker was borked, but to me it is indicative of just how badly Eircom seem to be handling the e-fibre (or should that be e-fibber?) rollout, at least at a management level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I guessed the line checker was borked, but to me it is indicative of just how badly Eircom seem to be handling the e-fibre (or should that be e-fibber?) rollout, at least at a management level.

Agree first thing I would have done at eircom is to make sure all places that are in an area that can receive the fibre is to be listed on the bloody checker! They're missing a hell load of houses in estates on the checker less than 200 meters from a cabinet near mine and the cabinet is apparently enabled.

Yeah, they really have not managed the whole process that well at all. And unforunately, the customer suffers (as usual) and the poor CS reps get an earfull from us.

Why they couldn't say: "Right, these are the exchanges that have been enabled, and these are the cabinets in those exchanges. We will update this on a weekly basis as new cabs are brought online"

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Yeah, they really have not managed the whole process that well at all. And unforunately, the customer suffers (as usual) and the poor CS reps get an earfull from us.

Why they couldn't say: "Right, these are the exchanges that have been enabled, and these are the cabinets in those exchanges. We will update this on a weekly basis as new cabs are brought online"

I wonder if it's a business decision to keep people wondering and maybe put doubt in customers minds about moving ISP in case they can't get it. If I knew for definite that my area wouldn't be enabled for a year I'd be more willing to move ISP. Thinking that I might get enabled within weeks/months keeps me guessing and less sure about moving provider.

LFCFan wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a business decision to keep people wondering and maybe put doubt in customers minds about moving ISP in case they can't get it. If I knew for definite that my area wouldn't be enabled for a year I'd be more willing to move ISP. Thinking that I might get enabled within weeks/months keeps me guessing and less sure about moving provider.

Im sure that is one reason as to the way things are being done. Another could be that they want to keep their competitors from getting first bite at those same customers.

I've been with Eircom for years. Apart from the odd drop in service, and the uselessness of the Zyxel Router compared to the vastly more stable Netopia that they used to supply, i've never had a problem with them.

Im sure that is one reason as to the way things are being done. Another could be that they want to keep their competitors from getting first bite at those same customers.

I've been with Eircom for years. Apart from the odd drop in service, and the uselessness of the Zyxel Router compared to the vastly more stable Netopia that they used to supply, i've never had a problem with them.

Eircom are by no means alone as far as the router is concerned. Digiweb supplied basically the same Zyxel router, which on my line was guaranteed to lose sync every hour or so. Replacing it with a Draytek Vigor solved the syncing problem, albeit at an average (and appalling) sync speed of 1.5 Mbps.

Eircom are by no means alone as far as the router is concerned. Digiweb supplied basically the same Zyxel router, which on my line was guaranteed to lose sync every hour or so. Replacing it with a Draytek Vigor solved the syncing problem, albeit at an average (and appalling) sync speed of 1.5 Mbps.

And yet, the Zyxel was supposed to be a technically more versatile piece compared to the Netopia. Problem there is, the majority of end users haven't a breeze when it comes to messin about with router settings. I'm no technophobe, but i wouldn't have the knowhow to fiddle with the settings too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

And yet, the Zyxel was supposed to be a technically more versatile piece compared to the Netopia. Problem there is, the majority of end users haven't a breeze when it comes to messin about with router settings. I'm no technophobe, but i wouldn't have the knowhow to fiddle with the settings too much.

Yeah, even the new eFibre model has a reboot loop bug when you're bridging it. There's a way around it, but I thought I'd bricked the router when it happened first. The odd thing is the modem makes feint noises similar to capacitor whine on a graphics card or something when its connecting to the VDSL line. Was sure something had fried. Been stable since though, and its silent while connected thankfully.

• Advertisement

Yeah, even the new eFibre model has a reboot loop bug when you're bridging it. There's a way around it, but I thought I'd bricked the router when it happened first. The odd thing is the modem makes feint noises similar to capacitor whine on a graphics card or something when its connecting to the VDSL line. Was sure something had fried. Been stable since though, and its silent while connected thankfully.
    Is the new router a Zyxel? Is it mandatory with a new connection or can you "bring your own"? I was planning on buying a Draytek Vigor 2760V once FTTC availability is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Is the new router a Zyxel? Is it mandatory with a new connection or can you "bring your own"? I was planning on buying a Draytek Vigor 2760V once FTTC availability is confirmed.

The engineers will install the service for you, with the new master socket and test the line. When they are happy that the line is sound, they will leave you with that setup. If you use your own (VDSL) modem, don't complain to them about the service if stuff goes wrong because they recommend that you use their own provided modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Engineers are on the way

Will post up Speed & ping tests for pre & post install later.

As I'm at work :(

Location Castlebar

Cab: Newport Rd

Distance circa 4-500m

red_bairn wrote: »
    The engineers will install the service for you, with the new master socket and test the line. When they are happy that the line is sound, they will leave you with that setup. If you use your own (VDSL) modem, don't complain to them about the service if stuff goes wrong because they recommend that you use their own provided modem.

I won't complain to them about the service unless I have replaced the supplied router and the problem persists. My experience with the spDSL (the steam-powered variety) is that the supplied equipment is invariably the cheapest crap they can get their hands on. I'd rather use something stable and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Because of vectoring being introduced at some stage over the next while, I don't think they're very keen on you using anything but the supplied modem.

The modems the ISPs are supplying are fully compatible with it. Others may not be. Vectoring is quite new and the standards aren't even fully stable yet

Any modem bring supplied by eircom, Vodafone etc will have been approved and tested.

Solair wrote: »
    Because of vectoring being introduced at some stage over the next while, I don't think they're very keen on you using anything but the supplied modem.

The modems the ISPs are supplying are fully compatible with it. Others may not be. Vectoring is quite new and the standards aren't even fully stable yet

Any modem bring supplied by eircom, Vodafone etc will have been approved and tested.

Yeah, god knows what revision of vectoring non-standard modems will have and other transmission issues.
    The Zyxel runs these settings for the VDSL2 connection: http://imgur.com/glQWS9L

So it uses VDSL2 Annex M,
    Broadcom's PhyR: http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=1202932 (for IPTV)
    and Seamless Rate Adaptation.
    This is the spec sheet that allen175 posted up a few pages back: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/118186/255274.PNG
    God knows what other stuff is going on out of plain sight. Im sticking to the Zyxel anyway in the hopes that they release better firmware for it soon enough, although I've it bridged so I don't need to use anything on it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

tommy are these settings you are showing easy accessible on the eircom modem/router? and what did you have to do to bridge it? i am with VF and got the huawei 658c and as yet cant see a lot. I dont get connected until next week but want to set it up in preparation. If a different router was used would it not be a simple case of copying the settings over?

What have you bridged to?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

does anyone know what modem/router magnet are using

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    tommy are these settings you are showing easy accessible on the eircom modem/router? and what did you have to do to bridge it? i am with VF and got the huawei 658c and as yet cant see a lot. I dont get connected until next week but want to set it up in preparation. If a different router was used would it not be a simple case of copying the settings over?

What have you bridged to?

Yeah in fairness with this new modem you have a lot more configuration available to you, especially in the NAT, QoS and home routing settings. Its all available without any in depth futering. You could just copy the settings over to a different modem if it supported everything.

Is that the modem that VF are using with fibre?
    I've it bridged to an ASUS RT-N56u running custom firmware, had the P660 bridged to it as well.
    This is how I bridged it: http://imgur.com/a/SIf64

Edit: looks like the My Eircom page is starting to update, bandwidth counter is missing as is my current broadband package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

FaganJr wrote: »
    Engineers are on the way

Will post up Speed & ping tests for pre & post install later.

As I'm at work :(

Location Castlebar

Cab: Newport Rd

Distance circa 4-500m

i seen the engineer at your cabneit today as it will be the same one that i will be connecting to.the engineer was doing a lot of head sheaking when i was driving past.when i was coming back there was an oul man out talking to him

Advertisement