Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The cabinet on the left appeared in my estate today (Lis Na Dara, Carrick Rd, Dundalk). Contractors on behalf of Eircom were digging trenches etc last week. Dundalk due to get efibre in July-December 2013.

256161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

The cabinet on the left appeared in my estate today (Lis Na Dara, Carrick Rd, Dundalk).

Could you map that cabinet please?

Instructions here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Many many thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

naughto wrote: »
    i seen the engineer at your cabneit today as it will be the same one that i will be connecting to.the engineer was doing a lot of head sheaking when i was driving past.when i was coming back there was an oul man out talking to him

if its the 2 clueless idiots in got in castlebar i am not surprised.

The 2 lads didnt even know where the cabinet was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The cabinet on the left appeared in my estate today (Lis Na Dara, Carrick Rd, Dundalk). Contractors on behalf of Eircom were digging trenches etc last week. Dundalk due to get efibre in July-December 2013.

Added! For future reference it might be better to put this type of post in the mapping thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Bump... :)

Keep ringing until you get someone who knows how to do their job... I was told the same (Tralee) and i kept ringing until i got someone who actually checked up their system (and not the eircom website, which i did myself many times)... Now i'm currently waiting for my line to switched back to eircom and i'll give them another call to book the engineer that day...

btw i'm 200M from a cabinet.. i can physically see it down the road..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

gazzamc wrote: »
    Keep ringing until you get someone who knows how to do their job... I was told the same (Tralee) and i kept ringing until i got someone who actually checked up their system (and not the eircom website, which i did myself many times)... Now i'm currently waiting for my line to switched back to eircom and i'll give them another call to book the engineer that day...

Was your line actually coming up as enabled on the checker?

Mine isn't and according to eircom on twitter the cabinet is actually enabled. Annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

TheChizler wrote: »
    Added! For future reference it might be better to put this type of post in the mapping thread.

Thanks. Yes, didn't spot that thread before I posted the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Finical wrote: »
    Was your line actually coming up as enabled on the checker?

Mine isn't and according to eircom on twitter the cabinet is actually enabled. Annoying!

No it wasn't.. that's why i rang... The first guy i rang checked another system and said i was eligible... But i was with vodafone so i needed to check how much the cancellation fee was gonna be...

When i called them up they said they will check with their team (which took 48 hrs).. and after they never got back to me i called eircom again.. the first 2 who answered only checked the website.. and the 3rd actually checked the system.. so i switched over immediately..

I should have done it when i first called up as he said i would be up & running within 2 days... FU vodafone.

And the Tralee area is enabled too..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Yeah, god knows what revision of vectoring non-standard modems will have and other transmission issues.
    The Zyxel runs these settings for the VDSL2 connection: http://imgur.com/glQWS9L

So it uses VDSL2 Annex M,
    Broadcom's PhyR: http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=1202932 (for IPTV)
    and Seamless Rate Adaptation.
    This is the spec sheet that allen175 posted up a few pages back: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/118186/255274.PNG
    God knows what other stuff is going on out of plain sight. Im sticking to the Zyxel anyway in the hopes that they release better firmware for it soon enough, although I've it bridged so I don't need to use anything on it really.

@Tommy

Could you do us all a big favour and tell us what we need to do to bridge our Netopia (3347NWG in my case) to the new eircom VDSL router.

I plan to use the new router for 802.11n and the old 3347NWG router for 802.11g devices when I eventually get the eircom upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    if its the 2 clueless idiots in got in castlebar i am not surprised.

The 2 lads didnt even know where the cabinet was
    ya cant miss these ones there just up the road at st gearlds college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

ya cant miss these ones there just up the road at st gearlds college

You reckon it's still possible to ring up and get it even if we ain't on the checker?

I tried ringing two times and both said line isn't enabled, but they must be going by that shoddy eircom website checker too. Think I'll just wait, but I don't think they will update the address system at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pg17 wrote: »
    @Tommy

Could you do us all a big favour and tell us what we need to do to bridge our Netopia (3347NWG in my case) to the new eircom VDSL router.

I plan to use the new router for 802.11n and the old 3347NWG router for 802.11g devices when I eventually get the eircom upgrade.

Thats just setting up an AP, not bridging(bridging puts the router+modem into modem only mode).

When you get the new Zyxel simply set the 3347 to Not PPoE and Not DHCP, then give it a static IP at the end of the subnet (.253 say). Then hook it up to one of the LAN ports on the Zyxel and bam, two APs.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FaganJr

i seen the engineer at your cabneit today as it will be the same one that i will be connecting to.the engineer was doing a lot of head sheaking when i was driving past.when i was coming back there was an oul man out talking to him

Didn't get to me whatever happened, to call me tomorrow to reschedule? Well annoyed now!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yeah in fairness with this new modem you have a lot more configuration available to you, especially in the NAT, QoS and home routing settings. Its all available without any in depth futering. You could just copy the settings over to a different modem if it supported everything.

Is that the modem that VF are using with fibre?
    I've it bridged to an ASUS RT-N56u running custom firmware, had the P660 bridged to it as well.
    This is how I bridged it: http://imgur.com/a/SIf64

Edit: looks like the My Eircom page is starting to update, bandwidth counter is missing as is my current broadband package.

Is the VoIP configuration menu open?

It would be a nice neat solution !

this is the wiring i have been left with

the conduit on the left goes to the house alarm, no idea what the brown box is for?

mysocket.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Connection is on, synced at 50/20 but only downloading/uploading at 30/5 :(

Flibbles wrote: »
    Connection is on, synced at 50/20 but only downloading/uploading at 30/5 :(

did you test on wifi or a patch lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

will probably take time should go up every hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

pg17 wrote: »
    @Tommy

ED E is right, putting the Zyxel into bridge mode effectively cuts its own wifi off from the internet, which is the cause for the reboot bug (I'm guessing) when its in bridge mode.
    Solair wrote: »
    Is the VoIP configuration menu open?

It would be a nice neat solution !

Can't find anything other than this: http://imgur.com/rf1UhCY
    Looks like it has to be set up on ISP side.

I won't be in Letterkenny for a while, going home tomorrow for a few days or more so if ya's want any more shots from the routers menus ask this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

gazzamc wrote: »

I'm in the exact same boat as yourself. 200M from cabinet, waiting for my broadband to be switched back to Eircom so they can order the fibre.

I've had differing instructions from eircom, Some of them said the back office team would order fibre for me once the line is switched, others said I'd need to call in and do it. Either way I'll be calling them up!

Broadband due to be switched as early as tomorrow but you never know when. Already got a text and email to say my phone line was switched back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes its the huawei hg658c fibre modem from VF. Its like the modem they have for adsl ie has a number of passwords that are like hens teeth. I got the admin one now and just going to have a look round. Its not as easy as the eircom one. I may be back with a few Q's later.

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

allen175 wrote: »
    After abit of digging around the zyxel site, i found the data sheet for their FTTx products and found the specs of the e-fibre modem, took a screenshot and they can be found in the image below.

Zyxel VMG8324 is the official name for the modem.
    Windows reporting it as VMG8324-B10A

Messing about with the new set-up since this morning. Averaging 48/10 or thereabouts.

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 1 hour: 14 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.543 Mbps 61.532 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 61.432 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 11.7 dB 19.4 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.4 dBm 12.4 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.4 dBm 0.1 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 10.9 dB 12.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 30.027 Mbps 118.028 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Those specs are pretty damn good, the attainable rates are fantastic, but hard to explain why the modem isn't syncing at 70mb if the attainables are so high, plenty of SNR to allow for it to sync at 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

allen175 wrote: »
    Those specs are pretty damn good, the attainable rates are fantastic, but hard to explain why the modem isn't syncing at 70mb if the attainables are so high, plenty of SNR to allow for it to sync at 70.

I suspect he's on the 50 package.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

If you wonder what is inside a VDSL cabinet take a look at this BT cabinet
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/superfast-cornwall-inside-a-bt-fibre-broadband-cabinet_M11070.html
    The eircom cabinets are very similar to this BT cabinet.

The power supply and backup battery are in the green 'box' is at the bottom left.

The fibre from the exchange enters on the bottom right and connects to the section on the left above the power supply. To the right of this, are the VDSL functional cards whch can be added as needed depending on the number of VDSL customers connected to the cabinet. The thick black cables on the right provide the copper connection to the original PCP (primary connection point) cabinet linking to the home.

Also, thanks to ED E and Tommy for your answers to my question about bridging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

ED E wrote: »
    I suspect he's on the 50 package.

I would assume that the actual net data rate is what the modem is synced at, but i may be wrong on that. Maybe tommy can give us a look at his results again, cos we know he is on the 50/20 package.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

http://imgur.com/x4mzX7s Here ye go lol.

irishgeo wrote: »
    did you test on wifi or a patch lead?

That was on phone, it's working on the pc (Wireless n) at 50/6 now. I reckon the upload will just take time to get up for some reason.
    liamnojo92 wrote: »
    will probably take time should go up every hour or so

Seems likely, it's getting higher and more stable as time goes on.

Oh and just to make folks jealous ;)

Line Rate: 20.541 Mbps 50.268 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 50.170 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 14.0 dB 23.8 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: -11.9 dBm 14.0 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.0 dBm 2.4 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 12.1 dB 11.5 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 33.583 Mbps 120.236 Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

ED E wrote: »
    When you get the new Zyxel...
    Why on earth do they insist on supplying that Zyxel junk? Every Zyxel router I've ever encountered at best performed worse than the equipment I purchased myself and at worst failed utterly within months of installation.

Advertisement