Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Finical wrote: »
    You reckon it's still possible to ring up and get it even if we ain't on the checker?

I tried ringing two times and both said line isn't enabled, but they must be going by that shoddy eircom website checker too. Think I'll just wait, but I don't think they will update the address system at all tbh.
    the ones that are on the end of the phone are just going off a database so if that hasent being updated then it will say that its not enabled,the website checker is a load of sh1te it telling me that i cant gt fiber untill 2015.

iam with sky for broadboand and am one of the lucky ones as i never had any trouble with it from day one,my line can only take 5mb but i can max that out any time of the day(and i do max it out a lot)
    iam only paying 10euro a month as well so i willwait and see if and hopefully sky do fiber i will just upgrade my package.if they dont well i only have 6 months left in the contract so the fee for breaking the contract will not be to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

nc63 wrote: »
    Why on earth do they insist on supplying that Zyxel junk? Every Zyxel router I've ever encountered at best performed worse than the equipment I purchased myself and at worst failed utterly within months of installation.

The new ones are much better, once the FW has been patched AFAIK.

All ISPs supply cheap gear, UPCs 3925s are muck. Unfortunate but common.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So how is vectoring going to increase my speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

irishgeo wrote: »
    So how is vectoring going to increase my speed?

In short by reducing the noise on the line the attainable speeds can be increased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

bealtine wrote: »
    In short by reducing the noise on the line the attainable speeds can be increased

So say for example, Fibbles connection says that attainable rate is 120mb at the moment the the SNR is 23, do you think that the line would be able to take 110mb without the connection becoming bad without pair bonding and vectoring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

allen175 wrote: »
    Those specs are pretty damn good, the attainable rates are fantastic, but hard to explain why the modem isn't syncing at 70mb if the attainables are so high, plenty of SNR to allow for it to sync at 70.
    If this was vectored it would be through the roof. I signed up for the 70mb fibre package as I suspected that being only 200 meters or less from the cab that the connection should be fine and come in over 50/15.
    Anything for the simple life. I was lucky to have had my NTU connection pre-done courtesy of the lad in PhoneWatch three years ago. Two sky boxes, the house phone, Phone Watch and efibre all doing quite nicely - so far:D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

Got my hopes up slightly this morning when I saw an Eircom van parked in front of the cab that serves my estate... But when I passed by it was just one lad on his own with a small bag of tools opening up the old cab, hadn't time to hang around to see what was going on, probably just routine maintenance/checking... There's a newer cabinet beside the old one, but it's not one of the new green cabs, I'm informed it's more likely to be something akin to a reflector rather than an actual fibre cabinet...... I'm still waiting on my 8MB NGB to be activated as I'm switching from Imagine back to Eircom, damn distance selling regulations with your mandatory 10 day cooling off period!!!! Hoping to be up & running with the NGB by next weekend all going well, then the fight for fibre can really begin in earnest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Fibre being installed in a company I look after in castlebar as we speak.

600 meters from cab by my estimation.

Be very interesting to see what kind of speeds we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

ill take a stab at this and say the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

naughto wrote: »
    ill take a stab at this and say the hospital

The cab or me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I seem to be the only one in castlebar who can't get fibre :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

liamnojo92 wrote: »

I'm 300m from a cabinet & Eircom's wonderful checker tells me my line is not enabled, yet my neighbour 4 doors away can get efibre:confused:. Then I tried the Voda checker. It came back telling me I can get 70mbps !!!!!!!. Crazy or what? Am currently with Sky and hav a steady 16mbps, so I'll wait to see what they'll offer in the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

what happens if you put your address in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

where about are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

GBCULLEN wrote: »

An Eircom employee will ring you and there will be an engineer in ur house within the hour. So don't do it man!!!!!!

GBCULLEN wrote: »

On the Eircom efibre site, it says "Sorry........" as posted a few pages back - post 4211. On the Voda site, you input your number..............and Bingo !!!!!

Edit: Just checked again on the Eircom site. This time I entered my phone no., even though I'm not an Eircom customer. Lo and behold, it told me "Congratulations!
    Your home can get our best value eFibre broadband bundles

We checked (094) 90xxxxx" and then told me I was entitled to a free efibre upgrade. Even more confusing now:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

When I put my number into vodafone's site it tells me that I don't have a landline!!!

irishgeo wrote: »
    where about are you?
    Mountain view right beside the church 200m away from the cabinet by the bus stop 300m from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Mountain view right beside the church 200m away from the cabinet by the bus stop 300m from the exchange.

Seems I'm in the same situation as you. In the Oaks, about 300m from Knockthomas cabinet and about 200 from another cabinet outside Castlehill Park. Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Solair wrote: »
    When I put my number into vodafone's site it tells me that I don't have a landline!!!

Must be true I guess... :D

• Advertisement

Finical wrote: »
    Seems I'm in the same situation as you. In the Oaks, about 300m from Knockthomas cabinet and about 200 from another cabinet outside Castlehill Park. Ridiculous!

I saw Eircom lads working at the Knockthomas cabinet yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

On the Eircom efibre site, it says "Sorry........" as posted a few pages back - post 4211. On the Voda site, you input your number..............and Bingo !!!!!

Different story here. On the Eircom mapping page my area is green saying eFibre is now available. On the Vodafone site it says my line can support our fastest speed 70MB. I subsequently rang Vodafone CS only to be told my line can only support 1MB. Yesterday I got a pizza box shaped mailer from Vodafone saying that fibre broadband is on the way & will be delivered shortly & that I will be contacted soon to arrange set up:confused:
    It's like waiting for Christmas or birthday - but no - we know they definitely will arrive, fibre broadband is still an open question.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Just got eFibre connection installed - took about 10 minutes.

Am in Rathfarnham area and about 50meters from cabinet.

2743427342.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

IrlJidel wrote: »

2743427342.png

Anyone else getting the impression that the upload speeds have been set wrong? You should be on 20, but getting 15. I should be on 15, but getting 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

50meters from cabinet.

2743427342.png

Best ping i've seen so far

Just shows you how much latency is added over the normal phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Just shows you how much latency is added over the normal phone lines.

yea but the latency at 50 metres vs say 2000 metres shouldn't be much in the difference.

I used to get sub 10 ms on adsl and i'm 2000 metres from my exchange on copper.

But we need to see some more results to get a clearer picture on sync rates up and down and ping rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

2743427342.png

Could you post some pings to google.ie and boards.ie? That is the same ping I had on ADSL but on my VDSL connection its gone up to 26ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Could you post some pings to google.ie and boards.ie? That is the same ping I had on ADSL but on my VDSL connection its gone up to 26ms.

C:\>ping -n 10 www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 20ms

C:\>ping -n 10 www.google.ie

Pinging www.google.ie [74.125.24.94] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 74.125.24.94: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=52
    Reply from 74.125.24.94: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 74.125.24.94:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 20ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

great speeds, are you in a UPC area by any chance and could you post the router stats to show line figures, ie snr and attenutation. Those pings are what I was expecting but unfortunately that wont be the case.

Why was it so quick? Were you all prepared and just had to switch the cabinet? Ive seen mention of over 2.5 hours!!

Advertisement