Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Fibre being installed in a company I look after in castlebar as we speak.

600 meters from cab by my estimation.

Be very interesting to see what kind of speeds we get.

Ok, at 600 meters (good estimate) that site is getting 31Mbps down and 8Mbps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭swoofer

that is poor, should be 50 down and 15 up, line is longer or poor wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one in castlebar who can't get fibre :(

I can't get it either I'm on the castlebar exchange and was told it wasn't enabled yet? Was told maybe July but I don't believe anything they tell me over the phone I don't care anymore.Its just annoying because I know people that have it and they only live down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I can't get it either I'm on the castlebar exchange and was told it wasn't enabled yet? Was told maybe July but I don't believe anything they tell me over the phone I don't care anymore.Its just annoying because I know people that have it and they only live down the road.

Haha I rang there and they said it must be distance that I can't get it because the Castlebar exchange is enabled.

Yet I'm 200m from one cabinet and 400 from another. :D Never ringing again!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

They really don't have a clue you're better off walking by the cabinets and looking for an engineer to have a chat with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    They really don't have a clue you're better off walking by the cabinets and looking for an engineer to have a chat with.

trust me the engineers are no better.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    that is poor, should be 50 down and 15 up, line is longer or poor wiring.

There is a good chance the line is longer indeed.

irishgeo wrote: »
    trust me the engineers are no better.

There seems to be better info on here than talking to anyone working for eircom.

The people in the call center are awful, no information at all.

I did get a couple of interesting bits of info from the eircom engineer today though.

He went to a vdsl cab in castlebar to connect up and the cab was empty!

They are also confiscating ADSL filters, someone on Donegal pluged theirs back in after eircom had finished, thinking the eircom engineer had forgotten to reconnect it.

Que calls to customer support complaining that they had no internet......

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    great speeds, are you in a UPC area by any chance and could you post the router stats to show line figures, ie snr and attenutation. Those pings are what I was expecting but unfortunately that wont be the case.

Why was it so quick? Were you all prepared and just had to switch the cabinet? Ive seen mention of over 2.5 hours!!

Yes I am in UPC area but upc fibe cabling stops 2 doors up so they havent connected my house with the newer fibre. Think the previous neighbour (next door was sold 2 years ago) wouldn't allow UPC to run the new cables across. My new neighbour and myself have been trying for months to get UPC to continue the cabling down so we could get upc BB and ondemand.

They didnt have to change the faceplate as it was already one with the built-in splitter and filter. The modem arrived in post the day before so I tidied up my office rats nest and had it all ready to just plugin in the phone cable. Also the cabinet was only 50m away so he could just walk up and down to cabinet and house to check everything was working.

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 71678
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 17.9
    Upstream SNR (dB) 10.4
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 5
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 1.6
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 13.2
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -20.1
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 0
    Upstream FEC 0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

a little something to make ye all jealous....not!

2743682966.png

And thats on wireless - pc connected to the router was actually slower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Mc Love wrote: »
    a little something to make ye all jealous....not!

2743682966.png

And thats on wireless - pc connected to the router was actually slower!

I know that feel. Still have PTSD after the "National Broadband Scheme" saga at home.

Did the NBS not work out? I was looking at getting the three NBS option of 28 Mbs if the fiber situation is a no go for me.

Did the NBS not work out? I was looking at getting the three NBS option of 28 Mbs if the fiber situation is a no go for me.

Where did you get that figure of 28 from?

Not a hope in hell of getting anything like that from Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

http://speedtest.net/result/2407470081.png

That was before we cancelled it at Christmas. -71dBm signal, with both an E122 and E1820 so more or less perfect. It was contention that simply broke the entire service. My cousins who live nearby still have it and apparently its still this bad during the evenings. Don't trust three.

Where did you get that figure of 28 from?

Not a hope in hell of getting anything like that from Three.

I suppose it does say up to 28 MB

http://www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx?src=p&p=data&pid=1767&tariffType=contract
    http://speedtest.net/result/2407470081.png

That was before we cancelled it at Christmas. -71dBm signal, with both an E122 and E1820 so more or less perfect. It was contention that simply broke the entire service. My cousins who live nearby still have it and apparently its still this bad during the evenings. Don't trust three.

Woah thats bad! Thats even worse than what I am getting at the moment, luckily though I am not always this bad, highest I get is 1.6-1.79 down.

Anyone willing to lend me 10 or 20 MBs? Come on now, dont be greedy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jackaroo2012

Im in Galway City and saw an Eircom van at the cabinet near my house. I almost came!!!! But the engineer told me the reason eircom havent upgraded Galway City is because there was a problem getting the fibre into the ducts whatever that means.

Its down on the map as launching in 2014 so the wait goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

In castlebar, moneen rd., and also can't get any info on when fttc will be available, even though there are two cabs down the road.

My suspicion is that some of the cabs are not live yet. But of course neither Eircom or Vodafone call centre's can tell you anything. Might be a week, maybe a year!

So far I've only seen speed tests from close by the cabs, has anyone 1km or more been enabled yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If I'm not mistaken, the pattern seems to be between Vodafone and Eircom.

Eircom customers seem to be getting 50/10mb with higher pings.

Vodafone customers seem to be getting 70/15mb with lower pings.

Seems Eircom might be more conservative. Hopefully they will change this as the service settles down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i got an adsl filter with my modem.

i am vodafone on today, all i want to do is move from simply broadband to a talk package for my phone alarm but it proving rather difficult to do. noone got a clue if it can be done or not.

In castlebar, moneen rd., and also can't get any info on when fttc will be available, even though there are two cabs down the road.

My suspicion is that some of the cabs are not live yet. But of course neither Eircom or Vodafone call centre's can tell you anything. Might be a week, maybe a year!

So far I've only seen speed tests from close by the cabs, has anyone 1km or more been enabled yet?

How far down the Moneen Road are you?

A business I do IT work for got connected today. I was on site while it was being done. Had to reconfigure ip of modem and run some cat6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Oh look a flock of pigs just landed...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ordered mine through a rep May 21st, switching from Smart to Ercom.

Phoned them today for a status and was told it may be processed by next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Just got eFibre connection installed - took about 10 minutes.
    And I'm still stuck with 8 :/:p

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Eircom have stated that they wont be giving FTTC to anyone 1km or over from a cab. Their existing BB may even get worse.
    Threads in talk to Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Eircom have stated that they wont be giving FTTC to anyone 1km or over from a cab. Their existing BB may even get worse.
    Threads in talk to Eircom.

edit* Nevermind. Here's the thread.

There are places that will be left behind by all of this....

If I was in a position where I knew people down the road I was on were able to get fibre and I couldn't, I would fond someone as close to the cab as possible and offer to pay for their broadband and give them X amount per year to sweeten the deal....

I would then get some decent Ubiquiti gear and send the decent broadband to my home....

Please no one jump in with "That's against Eircoms terms of service"

I wouldn't care

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

There are places that will be left behind by all of this....

If I was in a position where I knew people down the road I was on were able to get fibre and I couldn't, I would fond someone as close to the cab as possible and offer to pay for their broadband and give them X amount per year to sweeten the deal....

I would then get some decent Ubiquiti gear and send the decent broadband to my home....

Please no one jump in with "That's against Eircoms terms of service"

I wouldn't care

I tried offering Eircom a few thousand euro to connect me up. No dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

The cab or me?
    i see them working on the cabnet across from the hospital the last day as well so they must be working on rolling it out.

seen plenty of KN vans around C/bar as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    I tried offering Eircom a few thousand euro to connect me up. No dice.

If you are actually serious there are plenty of other options if you are willing to pay that sort of money.

• Advertisement

If you are actually serious there are plenty of other options if you are willing to pay that sort of money.

There really isn't. I looked into it for a number of sites. Thousands to install and then €600 a month for 10Mbps up and down.......

That's all I could find.

Advertisement