Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

red_bairn wrote: »
    Must be true I guess... :D

I think it comes down to bring on Smart LLU

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

If you are actually serious there are plenty of other options if you are willing to pay that sort of money.

I would be grateful if you could tell me those options.
    I would even pay you if you can arrange it for me.
    I will pay a one a high off fee for installation. Not ongoing high charges.
    eg if they connect me to FTTC I will pay a few thousand euro. Then I would like pay the normal monthly fee after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Eircom have stated that they wont be giving FTTC to anyone 1km or over from a cab. Their existing BB may even get worse.
    Threads in talk to Eircom.

What i don't understand is that it works over that distance, is it that they are afraid people will be complaining that the service isn't up to speed so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Mc Love wrote: »
    What i don't understand is that it works over that distance, is it that they are afraid people will be complaining that the service isn't up to speed so to speak?

I'm pretty sure because the last profile is 1km and min speed should be around 18mb which is what is needed as minimum for TV when they launch.

I'm pretty sure because the last profile is 1km and min speed should be around 18mb which is what is needed as minimum for TV when they launch.

And yet my existing BB is only 1.5mb at the best time and usually more like 500k.
    ANYTHING at all would help here.
    Surely there have to be options to get 10Mb or close enough to it.

Even the mobile operators wont reach my area.
    The only one is Ripplecom, and they have high price, ridiculously low cap and really bad speeds. You dont get the headline speeds at all form them. I know because I had them and had to go back to eircoms terrible speeds, so that says something about how bad Ripplecom are.

So if the poster above could tell me how I can get proper BB connected for a few k they could make a fortune from all the homes and businesses near me that have to live with the worst BB in the world. You would think we were on an Island, not in Dublin. Its like the dark ages.

• Advertisement

Im not even 1Km, but the telephone line is in bits coming into the house though. They wont even bother looking at that for me. I was at a meeting in the Parish hall last night and there are were about 50 people who were very annoyed at Eircom. You could multiply that by about 4 for the houses and businesses who desperately want proper BB here.

Like I said earlier, if anybody could come in and connect us up they could make a fortune here. There are no options at all but Ripplecom (who arent worth getting because their service, cap, price and speed is so bad).

If the lines into your house are that bad, order the product anyway. They'll be doing an engineer install so they'll quite likely replace them or resolve the problem.

Also bear in mind that you could be a very considerable distance from the exchange so, FTTC might make a dramatic difference.

Solair wrote: »
    If the lines into your house are that bad, order the product anyway. They'll be doing an engineer install so they'll quite likely replace them or resolve the problem.

Also bear in mind that you could be a very considerable distance from the exchange so, FTTC might make a dramatic difference.

They wont let me order it. Ive phoned Magnet, Vodafone, Eircom a dozen times between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

"Best router" is subjective and it takes more than a good wireless range to make a good router. You could have a router with a wireless range of 2 km and it still could be a piece of shite.

I'll note that Eircom are now giving out routers with as "n" radio type, which means the range is better than their "g" counterpart. Wireless "n" is also faster, but that's totally dependent on how fast your line is. Here's a video with more info.

That's my point.......for example, are either of the VF or eircom routers dual band, USB3.0, how many USB ports Ethernet ports? What is the internal wireless routing speed on 'N' ?.....most new routers support 300-450Mb internal-switching.......how many radios internally? MIMO support?

All these elements determine which router is better IMO......so wondering if anyone has analysed or can provide feedback on the eircom Zyxel vs the VF huawei routers........

I can't find any specs on the zyxel online either, so must be a bespoke OEM version for eircom...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ctlsleh wrote: »
    That's my point.......for example, are either of the VF or eircom routers dual band, USB3.0, how many USB ports Ethernet ports? What is the internal wireless routing speed on 'N' ?.....most new routers support 300-450Mb internal-switching.......how many radios internally? MIMO support?

All these elements determine which router is better IMO......so wondering if anyone has analysed or can provide feedback on the eircom Zyxel vs the VF huawei routers........

I can't find any specs on the zyxel online either, so must be a bespoke OEM version for eircom...

I saw somebody on the Eircom forums had the documentation PMed to them from a Moderator/Customer service agent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Here's some info on the Vodafone router.

I tried to get some info from Eircom, but not much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

How far down the Moneen Road are you?

A business I do IT work for got connected today. I was on site while it was being done. Had to reconfigure ip of modem and run some cat6.

i'm out by kilkenny cross...i'd told I am serviced by cab 30 which i think is the one in the industrial estate rather than the one on the main road. Judging by google maps I seem to be just under the 1km, so it should be interesting!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can understand why Eircom are initially limiting it to people within just 1km. It costs them a lot to send out an engineer to install this and for people beyond 1km there is much less benefit.

I hope that in time, they will move all costumers over to VDSL, so that they at least get some benefit from it, at least faster then they currently get.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The cable that goes from the NTU to the router/modem, is it RJ11 or cat5/6 RJ45 ?

ADSL2+ from the cabinet on longer lines might work out better for some very far flung houses. Should be doable from that Huawei DSLAM too.

bk wrote: »
    The cable that goes from the NTU to the router/modem, is it RJ11 or cat5/6 RJ45 ?

This..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

i'm out by kilkenny cross...i'd told I am serviced by cab 30 which i think is the one in the industrial estate rather than the one on the main road. Judging by google maps I seem to be just under the 1km, so it should be interesting!

I would say you are too far away from either of the cabs you are referring to.

There is a copper cab on the main road outside Harvey Norman, I couldn't see a fibre cab near it though.

If they upgraded that you would be fine.

red_bairn wrote: »

I'm sorry but that posts seems to give contradictory information.

Is is UTP/RJ11 or Cat5/6/RJ45 from the NTU to the modem?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

bk wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that posts seems to give contradictory information.

Is is UTP/RJ11 or Cat5/6/RJ45 from the NTU to the modem?

Thanks

RJ11 from the faceplate/NTU , http://imgur.com/sGrQ0rA
    RJ11 to the modem, http://imgur.com/FLSoE9L (DSL plug on modem)

The only cases where it will be RJ45 NTU to Modem is when you have Fibre to the Home.(Red WAN port on the modem)
    ADSL2+ from the cabinet on longer lines might work out better for some very far flung houses. Should be doable from that Huawei DSLAM too.

Yeah they should definitely run a separate campaign just for better broadband access, so they don't confuse the 18Mb+ eFibre with the sub 18Mb "access" network. That way when they roll out triple play which would only work on eFibre, they wouldn't confuse people between eFibre and access. A friend of mine back in donegal town would be raised from 3Mb up to around 10+Mb if they ran ADSL from one of the cabinets on the outskirts of town.

The only cases where it will be RJ45 NTU to Modem is when you have Fibre to the Home.(Red WAN port on the modem)

I had a RJ45 cable from my laptop to the wall in my apartment in Korea. It was originally going from the wall to a IPTV set top box, but since I didn't really watch the tv and preferred watching movies on the laptop I just used the cable directly.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Here's some info on the Vodafone router.

I tried to get some info from Eircom, but not much luck.

Thats not a bad spec, ........would be nice if it was 3x3 though.........anyone have the eircom zyxel spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Thats not a bad spec, ........would be nice if it was 3x3 though.........anyone have the eircom zyxel spec?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84766130&postcount=3859

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I would say you are too far away from either of the cabs you are referring to.

There is a copper cab on the main road outside Harvey Norman, I couldn't see a fibre cab near it though.

If they upgraded that you would be fine.

Don't think that's how it works...you are served from the cab that runs the copper to your house, not the cab that's closest to you.

incidentally, the footpath outside Harvey Norman is currently being dug up, so the Fibre cab is probably being installed shortly.

For FTTH there's actually a second mains powered device, an ONT (optical termination unit). That effectively is the modem. The e-fibre device is then just a wifi router. The ONT connects to it over Ethernet. You could probably use any router you liked with it as you're not connecting it directly to the public network.

The eircom branded NTU splitter sockets are only used for DSL services.

There's some ETSI (european telecommunication standards institute) requirement to use RJ45 sockets for terminating phone lines now.
    They're using a version of RJ45 that seamlessly accepts RJ11 plugs.

New phone sockets all over Europe seem to do this. Same in England and France now too. The modem connects to the line via an RJ45 port but uses an RJ11 plug.

I assume its just future proofing for potential services that might appear. Or possibly for office phone systems etc etc they're also used for connecting ISDN. It could also be to allow structured wiring stuff like alarm connection etc etc

At present only the centre two contacts are used. The rest are all spare. Same with RJ11.

A lot of these standards are total overkill for theoretical services that never happen. Even the existing eircom sockets have 6 contacts only two of which are ever used. This just brings it to 8 !

It's just two wire phone service. The RJ45 ports on the NTU have nothing to do with Ethernet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Don't think that's how it works...you are served from the cab that runs the copper to your house, not the cab that's closest to you.

incidentally, the footpath outside Harvey Norman is currently being dug up, so the Fibre cab is probably being installed shortly.

Yes, it is from the cab you are connected to but I would have to guess you are connected to the one near Harvey Norman. Not sure where you got your info from about what cab you were connected to....

The eircom engineers on the ground are not even sure!

I just hope that mine's connected to the cab that seems to be provisioned down the road and not the one that isn't connected to power up the other end of the road lol

I just hope that mine's connected to the cab that seems to be provisioned down the road and not the one that isn't connected to power up the other end of the road lol

Our cab got power setup the other day (Wednesday?) but waiting to have a sexy yellow sticker on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

More than 50% cabinets in Gorey are done (yellow sticker on it).

• Advertisement

domeld wrote: »
    More than 50% cabinets in Gorey are done (yellow sticker on it).

Bizarre. Greystones was started weeks before Corey and it took them ages to do the power.

Advertisement