Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

All activity in Enniscorthy seems to have stopped. Nothing ever done at the cabinet that I think I'm on.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

what does the sticker look like on the cabinets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Excuse my complete ignorance, but why is this requiring engineer callouts, new sockets and new modems? I thought FTTC used existing lines from the cabinet to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

its a yellow strip with the cab number on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Nermal wrote: »
    Excuse my complete ignorance, but why is this requiring engineer callouts, new sockets and new modems? I thought FTTC used existing lines from the cabinet to the house?

They want no noise on the line so they have to check out the lines between the house and the cabinet if they do find problems at the house.

They need to have a proper internal splitter or faceplate for the master socket and they need to use a VDSL enabled modem that has been specially made for Eircom. An ADSL modem would not be able to higher speeds that is attained by FTTC.

They will do tests on the modem to see what is the best speed to set your home connection at and they will setup the NTU where you wish...well not out in the back of the yard. More like in the living room nearer to the TV (IPTV) in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

red_bairn wrote: »

Thanks - Vodafone doing the same?

Nermal wrote: »
    Thanks - Vodafone doing the same?

Any companies that use Eircom's equipment will have Eircom engineers doing the installation so then Vodafone, Magnet et al can't complain that Eircom have poor lines, equipment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

by the way some of the commissioned cabs do not have stickers on them

ferpur wrote: »
    by the way some of the commissioned cabs do not have stickers on them

How do you know that? Are there some people on the service already and the stickers aren't on or..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

What channels would we get on IPTV? Anyone know if there's football (soccer) on it?

• Advertisement

What channels would we get on IPTV? Anyone know if there's football (soccer) on it?

There are no details about this as of yet. Unless any Eircom employee wants to PM one of us secretly about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

How do you know that? Are there some people on the service already and the stickers aren't on or..?
    for example roschill in Drogheda if you enter any address it says you can get efibre but there is no sticker on there cab:eek:

for example roschill in Drogheda if you enter any address it says you can get efibre but there is no sticker on there cab:eek:

Has anybody actually received fibre over there? I wouldn't trust that dodgey system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Probably a daft question, but does the speed you could get on your old BB line reflect what you'll be able to get on Fibre? At the moment the max line speed we can get is 7MB, even though we've been nominally upgrade to something like 12MB. I've rung them and they say the line cannot handle any more than that. They've installed a new Fibre cabinet outside of where we live (beside the old cabinet) so is there a chance we'll only be able to get a fraction of the new, faster Fibre speeds, or does the new cabinet/Fibre connection mean that we should be able to get closer to the speeds listed on the Eircom Fibre information?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭phog

brophs wrote: »
    Probably a daft question, but does the speed you could get on your old BB line reflect what you'll be able to get on Fibre? At the moment the max line speed we can get is 7MB, even though we've been nominally upgrade to something like 12MB. I've rung them and they say the line cannot handle any more than that. They've installed a new Fibre cabinet outside of where we live (beside the old cabinet) so is there a chance we'll only be able to get a fraction of the new, faster Fibre speeds, or does the new cabinet/Fibre connection mean that we should be able to get closer to the speeds listed on the Eircom Fibre information?

Cheers

Hope not, actually no.

I'm almost 7km from the exchange but just 1km from the cab so my speed should go from 1.2megs to hopefully around 20megs

Cheers

FTTC technology is also done by distance. The only case where it would be not the case is if you had FTTH (Fibre to the Home) or FTTB/P (Fibre to the Building/Premises).

Eventhough you could receive up to 12Mb, it is probably much more stable at 7. The ADSL is from the Exchange, i.e. the big building in the town/city area that you are in where all the Eircom vans are parked outside. This is where all the phone lines go through. If you don't need to use voice anymore and wish to use VoIP, you will only need to go through the NEW exchange, i.e the FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet).

How far are you away from the cabinet?

phog wrote: »
    Hope not, actually no.

I'm almost 7km from the exchange but just 1km from the cab so my speed should go from 1.2megs to hopefully around 20megs

How do you work that out?
    FTTC technology is also done by distance. The only case where it would be not the case is if you had FTTH (Fibre to the Home) or FTTB/P (Fibre to the Building/Premises).

Eventhough you could receive up to 12Mb, it is probably much more stable at 7. The ADSL is from the Exchange, i.e. the big building in the town/city area that you are in where all the Eircom vans are parked outside. This is where all the phone lines go through. If you don't need to use voice anymore and wish to use VoIP, you will only need to go through the NEW exchange, i.e the FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet).

How far are you away from the cabinet?

Less than 100 metres.

How do you work that out?

Work what out?

The distances? I know the cable route and checked the distance on walkjogrun.net

The speed? There's a graph in one of the posts but if you Google fttc speeds then you'll probably pick one up

Less than 100 metres.

If you're sure you're connected to the cab then it's happy days for you, speed wise

If you're sure you're connected to the cab then it's happy days for you, speed wise

I haven't a clue. It's at the front gate of our estate, so I'm guessing we are.

I haven't a clue. It's at the front gate of our estate, so I'm guessing we are.

Well the wiring could go arse ways in an old estate but the wiring is probably better thought about in the last decade. But assuming you are with Eircom, you should be able to achieve 40 down and 10-15 up from that distance.

So far the results from peoples Speedtests from a Eircom connection have been below 50Mb, so I'm assuming Eircom are being very conservative on the matter. But we've seen some speed test where some Vodafone customers got 60+ down and 15up.

Anyway, you should get some decent speeds at that distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Droguser

Has anybody actually received fibre over there? I wouldn't trust that dodgey system.

there have been a few efiber installs done in Roschoill already so its live.

there is!

Droguser wrote: »
    there is!

So they probably put a sticker on it recently (ninja engineer came by while ferpur wasn't watching). :D

So they probably put a sticker on it recently (ninja engineer came by while ferpur wasn't watching). :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Where did this sticker info come from?

Im not convinced its any indicator to the cab being live.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Hope not, actually no.

If you are 1Km from the cabinet. You wont get fibre then. You are going to be stuck on your old BB speeds.
    Read the talk to Eircom thread for more info.

Where did this sticker info come from?

Im not convinced its any indicator to the cab being live.

What do these stickers look like. Anyone got a pic?

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    If you are 1Km from the cabinet. You wont get fibre then. You are going to be stuck on your old BB speeds.
    Read the talk to Eircom thread for more info.

They'll do up to 1km, it may also depend on the per_equal test.

Edited to add. They measure the copper cable from the exchange to the cab and subtract that from the copper from the exchange to the house and that gives them their per_equal values.

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    What do these stickers look like. Anyone got a pic?

I assume it's a small sticker with the cab ref no on it. Seriously doubt it's a true reflection if a cab being commissioned or not but may be a decent indicator.

• Advertisement

They'll do up to 1km, it may also depend on the per_equal test.

Edited to add. They measure the copper cable from the exchange to the cab and subtract that from the copper from the exchange to the house and that gives them their per_equal values.

Eircom themselves have told me both on the phone and in the thread on here that they wont be doing lines 1km and over from the cab. And if they ever do decide to do it it wont be until after all of the entire network is FTTC, then they might go on and do the ones 1Km or more.
    Really annoying after their promises before launch.

Advertisement