Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The technology's moving on fairly fast and I suppose there's some possibility of very small DSLAMs being used for more outlying groups of houses (like down to 60 lines)

Systems like : http://www.ecitele.com/OurOffering/Products/Pages/MiniCab-64V.aspx for example can provide 64 lines out of a sealed, vandal proof device that's pole mountable and can be installed by a single engineer.

It can also be installed in an underground vault.

So, maybe after the existing rollout, solutions like that could extend reach into further outlying areas / smaller communities..

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    What do these stickers look like. Anyone got a pic?

They're just yellow printed stickers. You'll see them on the existing eircom distribution cabinets and lots of other gear too. They just identify a device on the network.

They'll have a format like :

Let's say Craggy Island Exchange is CRG

They'll have a code like CRG 001 A printed on them.

----

It's just a possible indicator that the cabinet's ready to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Vodafone sales closed today and tomorrow despite tell me I could oder today :mad:

dubmick wrote: »
    Vodafone sales closed today and tomorrow despite tell me I could oder today :mad:

Order online :)

It's a bank holiday weekend on one of re sunniest days in ages! They're not going to be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

red_bairn wrote: »
    So they probably put a sticker on it recently (ninja engineer came by while ferpur wasn't watching). :D

there is a sticker on the old pots cab but none on the dslam cab:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Solair wrote: »
    They're just yellow printed stickers. You'll see them on the existing eircom distribution cabinets and lots of other gear too. They just identify a device on the network.

They'll have a format like :

Let's say Craggy Island Exchange is CRG

They'll have a code like CRG 001 A printed on them.

----

It's just a possible indicator that the cabinet's ready to roll.

Theres one of them on my local cabinet then. Eircom told us its not enabled though.

Solair wrote: »
    The technology's moving on fairly fast and I suppose there's some possibility of very small DSLAMs being used for more outlying groups of houses (like down to 60 lines)

Systems like : http://www.ecitele.com/OurOffering/Products/Pages/MiniCab-64V.aspx for example can provide 64 lines out of a sealed, vandal proof device that's pole mountable and can be installed by a single engineer.

It can also be installed in an underground vault.

So, maybe after the existing rollout, solutions like that could extend reach into further outlying areas / smaller communities..

Would they let you get one of these yourself and get it installed yourself and then connect it up to the cabinet? If you could get a few people in the area to club together and pay for it.

Would they let you get one of these yourself and get it installed yourself and then connect it up to the cabinet? If you could get a few people in the area to club together and pay for it.

Probably not although i suppose a community group could try to do it as a licenced operator. It would be 'sub loop unbundling'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You would still have to get fibre to the small unit, which wouldn't be that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Cheeseofdeath

Any idea when the Terenure exchange is enabled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Any idea when the Terenure exchange is enabled?

According to the map on NGA access it's already started and ready for Autumn of this year.

You would still have to get fibre to the small unit, which wouldn't be that easy.

Im thinking LTE is the only hope now. Does anyone know when LTE is being rolled out by Metoer or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Now that eFibre has been launched I wonder when Eircom will launch their new television service if they do it at all. Would the new service be brought through your phone line like the broadband? I wonder what channels they can provide and would it be more affordable than Sky when bundled with broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Im thinking LTE is the only hope now. Does anyone know when LTE is being rolled out by Metoer or 3?

LTE may be good if you are in an area with coverage and low population/usage.

The caps will be restrictive though. Wouldn't be surprised if they only offer 60Gb per month at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey guys

Have some fibre and eircom related questions if anyone can help me out! Thanks in advance

I'm in Arklow which was originally due to launch in Dec 2013. All the cabinets are in and well ahead of schedule so it seems the launch is pushed forward to May-June or July-Dec depending on which part of the eircom site I check on! I also had vodafone sales reps call to the door a few days ago who said the service would launch in next week to ten days! Who do I believe?

What is this talk of yellow stickers appearing on the fibre cabinets?

I gather that an engineer visit is required to install fibre and this involves a master socket replacement with a new filtered type. Eircom recommend that the modem is connected directly to this new socket. If I decide against that location am I required to keep all my broadband and phone filters on the various sockets around the house as I have it now? How does this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Eircom themselves have told me both on the phone and in the thread on here that they wont be doing lines 1km and over from the cab. And if they ever do decide to do it it wont be until after all of the entire network is FTTC, then they might go on and do the ones 1Km or more.
    Really annoying after their promises before launch.

Our cab is fairly remote, if every potential customer within 0.9km of the cab took up VDSL then I may not be allowed get it but I reckon they'll open it up to our estate and the one across the road from us just to maximise the area covered by the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bk wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, the pattern seems to be between Vodafone and Eircom.

Eircom customers seem to be getting 50/10mb with higher pings.

Vodafone customers seem to be getting 70/15mb with lower pings.

Seems Eircom might be more conservative. Hopefully they will change this as the service settles down.

Is that not because the eircom entry level package is actually 50Mpps? (i.e. not 70Mbps)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

crawler wrote: »
    Is that not because the eircom entry level package is actually 50Mpps? (i.e. not 70Mbps)
    I did a simple analysis on speedtest.net over the past few days taking the range of Irish servers as shown on the site. My results are as follows - pre-efibre, 6.803Mb/s down, 0.4198 Mb/s up with average latency of 37.69ms over 80 tests; post efibre, 43.36Mb/s down, 8.056Mb/s up with average latence of 30.56ms over 152 tests.

Fastest down http://speedtest.net/result/2745966523.png - Dublin
    Fastest up http://speedtest.net/result/2745341135.png - Sligo
    Average Ping 36.2, jitter 6.47, packet loss 0%, MOS 4.25 over 23 tests.

I'm supposedly on the 70Mb package but I must verify that ASAP.

Latest
    2749776716.png
    82097213.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ampolo

PeadarB wrote: »
    I did a simple analysis on speedtest.net over the past few days taking the range of Irish servers as shown on the site. My results are as follows - pre-efibre, 6.803Mb/s down, 0.4198 Mb/s up with average latency of 37.69ms over 80 tests; post efibre, 43.36Mb/s down, 8.056Mb/s up with average latence of 30.56ms over 152 tests.

Fastest down http://speedtest.net/result/2745966523.png - Dublin
    Fastest up http://speedtest.net/result/2745341135.png - Sligo
    Average Ping 36.2, jitter 6.47, packet loss 0%, MOS 4.25 over 23 tests.

I'm supposedly on the 70Mb package but I must verify that ASAP.

Do you know roughly how far away you are from the cabinet on the street? I'm just deciding whether to order 70Mbit/s or 50Mbit/s.
    I don't want to be in a contract for an extra 20Mbit/s I can't get!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Different story here. On the Eircom mapping page my area is green saying eFibre is now available. On the Vodafone site it says my line can support our fastest speed 70MB. I subsequently rang Vodafone CS only to be told my line can only support 1MB. Yesterday I got a pizza box shaped mailer from Vodafone saying that fibre broadband is on the way & will be delivered shortly & that I will be contacted soon to arrange set up:confused:
    It's like waiting for Christmas or birthday - but no - we know they definitely will arrive, fibre broadband is still an open question.
    Just a follow up on the above point I made earlier. It strikes me that both Eircom & Vodafone are going by general blanket coverage with their maps & line checks. The CS staff don't have a clue when it comes to specific numbers or locations. I hope someone can come on here & prove me wrong.

• Advertisement

Just a follow up on the above point I made earlier. It strikes me that both Eircom & Vodafone are going by general blanket coverage with their maps & line checks. The CS staff don't have a clue when it comes to specific numbers or locations. I hope someone can come on here & prove me wrong.

I would assume they have to be unless the cabinets are live and every line's been tested, which seems a bit unlikely.
    Although maybe there's some way the cabinet can check that and calculate the distance using the electrical resistance of the wire or something?

Although, I don't know how that would happen as I am also guessing that most lines aren't connected to the cabinet yet as they're not setup for this VDSL stuff.

So, you're probably right they're just guessing :D

I suppose though if they knew the location of the cabinet and the house and have some kind of electronic map of their wiring (quite likely). They would be able to do a fairly accurate guess of how far it is.

Those kinds of technologies are pretty standard in a lot of industries these days.

Ampolo wrote: »
    Do you know roughly how far away you are from the cabinet on the street? I'm just deciding whether to order 70Mbit/s or 50Mbit/s.
    I don't want to be in a contract for an extra 20Mbit/s I can't get!
    I'm approx. 200m from the cab but I suspect that eircom have yet to turn on the "full tap." It is early days yet with this roll-out and I'm sure there will be some bottle-necks to be resolved. I'm sure that your installer will have sufficient info on site as to the product most suitable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I'm approx. 200m from the cab but I suspect that eircom have yet to turn on the "full tap." It is early days yet with this roll-out and I'm sure there will be some bottle-necks to be resolved. I'm sure that your installer will have sufficient info on site as to the product most suitable for you.

Yeah your latency is the same as mine as well despite half the distance to the cab. We'll see if they sort that out soon enough I'd say.

Yeah your latency is the same as mine as well despite half the distance to the cab. We'll see if they sort that out soon enough I'd say.
    Hope so Tommy. I must ring them tomorrow to see if I can get "My Eircom" account sorted. Not updated yet so i'm still in the dark. I've taken a look at some of your published stats and we're both in the same boat. Great potential there ok, if only we can get it going.
    I'm getting much better upload speeds on my Galaxy S4 - upload almost always at 15Mb/s + at 60ms latency, and that on WiFi!!

Your advanced network settings for the F1000 are different to mine, which is defaulting to everything un-ticked except for "ADSL over PTM" which is ticked as disabled. Looks like a lot of tweaking to be done with the router - if only I knew how.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Your advanced network settings for the F1000 are different to mine, which is defaulting to everything un-ticked except for "ADSL over PTM" which is ticked as disabled. Looks like a lot of tweaking to be done with the router - if only I knew how.

Could you grab a screenshot of your advanced network settings? The time I had to reset to defaults might have wiped any settings Eircom had preloaded onto it. Won't be able to change anything for about 2 weeks, I'm stuck back at home helping the oul man on the farm lol.

Well, just as long as they allow me to downgrade to whatever's actually achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

A few questions on this Fibre Broadband. My understanding is that the closer one is to the exchange the faster & more stable ASDL. Also the theory is that FTTC brings the exchange closer to the user. If my assumptions are correct does the fact that I now have a fibre cabinet that is 3km closer than the exchange (now 2.2km away) mean:
    1: My ADSL will become more stable.
    2: My ADSL speeds will increase.
    (Now on a 1 MB "non standard delivery" line).
    2750539907.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A few questions on this Fibre Broadband. My understanding is that the closer one is to the exchange the faster & more stable ASDL. Also the theory is that FTTC brings the exchange closer to the user. If my assumptions are correct does the fact that I now have a fibre cabinet that is 3km closer than the exchange (now 2.2km away) mean:
    (Now on a 1 MB "non standard delivery" line).
    2750539907.png

No.

Eircom will not offer to connect your line to the cabinet if you are more than 1KM from the cab ..... the connection remains connected back to the exchange, as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

There doesn't seem to be any significant difference..........!
    I think ill go with vf then......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The new cabinets house VDSL equipment, the ADSL stuff is still in the exchange.

Advertisement