Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bk wrote: »
    I don't expect TV bundled prices to be different from UPC/Sky, specially not for sports and movies.

The prices are pretty heavily influenced by the TV companies.

Yeah, but if it's the same price for more channels then he may as well go for it. I can't remember how many channels we have...12...13?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I am living in Balrothery (on the Balbriggan exchange). Phase two roll out due the beginning of June. Rang Vodafone last week and was told I could get up to 50mb and to call back at the beginning of June. Vodafone now saying the exchange isn't ready despite Eircom taking orders. What makes it even more frustrating is that I know my cab is commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

dubmick wrote: »
    I am living in Balrothery (on the Balbriggan exchange). Phase two roll out due the beginning of June. Rang Vodafone last week and was told I could get up to 50mb and to call back at the beginning of June. Vodafone now saying the exchange isn't ready despite Eircom taking orders. What makes it even more frustrating is that I know my cab is commissioned.

There a disaster out in the balrothery area it took me a week just to get to a person who could book me in for an appointment. Why not call eircom or are you in ct with Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

oh yes. neighbour can get it as can many others on my estate. but not me GRRRRRRR! an address/line checking issue apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Just off the phone. Eircom are launching it in "stages" and I have to call back in a week after being told on launch day to call back in two weeks. Despite the fact that everyone 500 meters around me can get it.

What a joke. Screw you eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Probably off topic (apologies if so :o ) but will Eircom ever replace those lines which are split/pair gain to allow for real Broadband (fibre or otherwise) to those of us stuck with these bloody lines???

Would love to have "proper" broadband lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Manc Red wrote: »
    I've just worked something out. I live on a private (family) lane way. The two estates either side of us can get fibre broadband yet non of us on our lane can get fibre.

This would mean the nearest cabs should be live. I know my closest one would be serving two estates and then the cab going in the other direction should be serving two-three estates in the other direction which all can get fibre broadband.

Why would this happen? It seems we're now the only homes in the area that can't get it.

I just asked eircom Mark again. He said it could be months rather than days until they update the checker! Great rollout by them. Ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

Finical wrote: »
    I just asked eircom Mark again. He said it could be months rather than days until they update the checker! Great rollout by them. Ridiculous!!!

do you have a link to that thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

ferpur wrote: »
    do you have a link to that thread?

I dm'ed him on twitter as he said the cabinet I am hooked up to is enabled. He said it was an address system checker problem.

Potentially I may not have this for years I guess even though my cabinet is enabled. Gotta laugh really.

what a joke. i left Smart for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Was on VF BB and I am about 600M from the cabunet. According to vf and the eircom checker the cabinet is not enabled but I know for sure the cabijet is enabled as mark on eircom confirmed.....got on to eircom customer care they did some searching and were able to confirm even though the site says it is not live......got back onto VF and they cant conform so switching bqck to eircom even though the service is only 50Mb, no point paying for the 70Mb service when I will still get the same speeds at 600M ........I think thats the correct logic right?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Is there anyone else in a "Now available" area that are still unable to get Fibre?

Douglas, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

Is there anyone else in a "Now available" area that are still unable to get Fibre?
    Dublin rd drogheda:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

red_bairn wrote: »
    Whoa, ...just looking at the Wholesale documentation and came across p.85 in this pdf. :eek:

The NGA profiles are on p.94...(that's the distances for those who are interested).

When vectoring is introduced; what impact might it have on these figures?

What kind of improvements might be possible?

yup. Dooradoyle Limerick

_John C wrote: »
    When vectoring is introduced; what impact might it have on these figures?

What kind of improvements might be possible?

Anybody who is on about 70Mb will achieve 100Mb. It will be improvement on all the profiles I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong broskis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

Great. Im between 400m-500m from my cab, So according to the profiles described on page 94 of that publication I should be good for 50Mb down / 20Mb up.

So would I be right in saying that when vectoring is introduced I might get 70Mb down ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, but if it's the same price for more channels then he may as well go for it. I can't remember how many channels we have...12...13?

I would expect a UPC TV + Broadband bundle would include as many channels and be cheaper.

UPC's smallest TV package includes 40 channels. You should check upc.ie for details.

For instance €66 per month gets you 50mb/5mb broadband + 90 channel TV + DVR + 150 minutes phone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭briany

Will these new Zyxel routers need channel bonding set up in order to get the maximum performance out of them re: wireless data rate? If so, is that something that you can do from the router settings page or that a more complicated procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

I've just worked something out. I live on a private (family) lane way. The two estates either side of us can get fibre broadband yet non of us on our lane can get fibre.

This would mean the nearest cabs should be live. I know my closest one would be serving two estates and then the cab going in the other direction should be serving two-three estates in the other direction which all can get fibre broadband.

Why would this happen? It seems we're now the only homes in the area that can't get it.

The line length to you might be 1Km or over. That means you will never get eFibre. Same situation with us, but a whole village is effected. Very poor show from Eircom. Our cabinet is enabled but we cant get it. Eventually Eircom came clean and told us that anyone 1Km or over will never get eFibre. You are stuck with what you always had.

• Advertisement

So I was very excited when i ordered my fibre upgrade while at the same time switching back to Eircom, but now im a little concerned having read that they terminate the router at the NTU (first point in the house, which in my case is at the front door), and which i agree makes sense as that will maximise the performance of the line, as I have an office in my garage (furthest point away from the NTU ~30Metres which a few walls) so i was wondering if anyone has any experience of the wireless capability and range on the new eircom zyxel devices:?
    in my current set-up, I moved my DSL modem to a point at the back of the house. I measured the performance of the dsl line at the NTU point and at my other point near the back of the house and there was no difference on the performance of the line, the attenuation on the line was exactly the same (9.4dB, Im on a 12Mb service and can get 9-10M download speeds), however im now concerned as ive just ordered a fibre upgrade and if the only install the VDSL router at the front of the house, my office may be too be too far away to receive the wi-fi signal.......has anyone experienced the range on the new router? is it possible to bridge them or use extenders?

Any other ideas? as i dont think i can move the new router to another telephone point after the installation guy has left if i understand correctly?

apprecaite any feedback/clarifications........
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

ctlsleh wrote: »
    So I was very excited when i ordered my fibre upgrade while at the same time switching back to Eircom, but now im a little concerned having read that they terminate the router at the NTU (first point in the house, which in my case is at the front door), and which i agree makes sense as that will maximise the performance of the line, as I have an office in my garage (furthest point away from the NTU ~30Metres which a few walls) so i was wondering if anyone has any experience of the wireless capability and range on the new eircom zyxel devices:?
    in my current set-up, I moved my DSL modem to a point at the back of the house. I measured the performance of the dsl line at the NTU point and at my other point near the back of the house and there was no difference on the performance of the line, the attenuation on the line was exactly the same (9.4dB, Im on a 12Mb service and can get 9-10M download speeds), however im now concerned as ive just ordered a fibre upgrade and if the only install the VDSL router at the front of the house, my office may be too be too far away to receive the wi-fi signal.......has anyone experienced the range on the new router? is it possible to bridge them or use extenders?

Any other ideas? as i dont think i can move the new router to another telephone point after the installation guy has left if i understand correctly?

apprecaite any feedback/clarifications........
    thanks

They'll hardwire from the NTU to your modem, up to 30meters. Your provider will tell you the cost.

Alternatively, fit it at the front door and see how things go via wifi

phog wrote: »
    They'll hardwire from the NTU to your modem, up to 30meters. Your provider will tell you the cost.

When you say hardwire, do you mean via CAT5 or using existing internal house wiring (Standard telephone cabling) to another point within 30M.....as i already have that wired myself.

Cheers....

phog wrote: »

Or he could just purchase some homeplugs... :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I'm living in an old house and wouldn't be surprised if my cable was going directly back to the exchange(as there is no cabs in sight on the roads that lead to the exchange).
    Meanwhile in recent years a cab has been placed across the road from me to service some new estates.
    Does anyone know would Eircom entertain me been linked to the near cab if I'm to far from exchange to get fibre?If it was only the cost of a new line I wouldn't mind.

Or he could just purchase some homeplugs... :S

Do home plugs work if there is a circuit breaker in between?
    My garage has its own circuit breaker which comes off the main circuit breaker in the house?....but I will try them also.......do they have any limitations and do they impact any electrical device eg the tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Do home plugs work if there is a circuit breaker in between?
    My garage has its own circuit breaker which comes off the main circuit breaker in the house?....but I will try them also.......do they have any limitations and do they impact any electrical device eg the tv?
    I don't think homeplugs will work with your setup, all sockets need to be on the same ring circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

When you say hardwire, do you mean via CAT5 or using existing internal house wiring (Standard telephone cabling) to another point within 30M.....as i already have that wired myself.

Cheers....

Don't know enough but I've heard and read it's cat but not sure if your own cable would make much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

once they work on the same breaker board, they should work..

hardwiring is done with CAT5 ... if none is already installed, it'll be done with 2 pair CAT5

• Advertisement

I havent CAT 5, only multi strand telco cable.........I'll buy a pair of the plugs and try them out using my existing set up.....other than that, I think I'll look at wireless extenders........anyone found a particularly good model ? Worst case I'll get one of those 802.11ac access points.....although I guess the range will not be significantly different......

Advertisement