Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Gonzo wrote: »
    In about 3 years time UPC will propably be on 1gb internet and we will still be left on 3-8meg by Eircom, and by then internet patchs/updates etc will be so large that our adsl1 broadband will be the new dialup.
    ah but you will still have the Music Hub :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

stuck on Eircom 6meg here for past 3 years, since then UPC have upgraded their customers about 3 or 4 times and have gone from 10meg to now 100meg. There are still no plans from Eircom to upgrade anyone except those in the largest of towns/urban centres where UPC is already available. In about 3 years time UPC will propably be on 1gb internet and we will still be left on 3-8meg by Eircom, and by then internet patchs/updates etc will be so large that our adsl1 broadband will be the new dialup. We are getting left behind quicker than we can think.

As you can see UPC are already pushing past the 100meg.
    2022065754.png

The speeds UPC are providing are not super fast they are becoming the new norm.
    To be honest Eircom belongs in a the Midband forum not the Broadband forum.

Even for people with UPC in is in their interest for Eircom to pull out their finger and provide some competition to keep prices down.

For people living outside urban areas the lack of real broadband is starting to become a serious issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ranicand wrote: »
    For people living outside urban areas the lack of real broadband is starting to become a serious issue.

It happened quite a while back and UPC are no help...outside an Urban area that actually has UPC broadband. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

The Government have acknowledged the "Digital Divide" as mentioned in their report with the NGB Taskforce here. http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/27012-broadband-urgency-as-irelan
    But they seem to have no clear plan on how to provide decent broadband to rural areas. As long as they use the majority of the money available from Europe to improve broadband in rural areas, there is some hope. But if they squander this money in urban areas which already have access to decent broadband, then the digital divide will be even more pronounced..

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

is there any update on the rollout for grange / frankfield area of cork ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

stuck on Eircom 6meg here for past 3 years, since then UPC have upgraded their customers about 3 or 4 times and have gone from 10meg to now 100meg. There are still no plans from Eircom to upgrade anyone except those in the largest of towns/urban centres where UPC is already available. In about 3 years time UPC will propably be on 1gb internet and we will still be left on 3-8meg by Eircom, and by then internet patchs/updates etc will be so large that our adsl1 broadband will be the new dialup. We are getting left behind quicker than we can think.

Whats stunning is no body in government or in the media is discussing this topic. I've Eircom for seven years, live in a rural area, close to a major city. But the highest package i can from them is 7 meg./ but only get 5 meg of that.

Urban areas now have speeds in excess of 100 meg already. That's 20 times what i have now, that for me is a joke and should be tolerated. Were is the fairness in this policy? Why is there no competition?

Eircom least provide ASDL 2 (20meg) for god sake.

5, this is little old me and below is what people in urban areas now can get!

5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95, 100/ 105 110 115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

lockup35 wrote: »
    The Government have acknowledged the "Digital Divide" as mentioned in their report with the NGB Taskforce here. http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/27012-broadband-urgency-as-irelan
    But they seem to have no clear plan on how to provide decent broadband to rural areas. As long as they use the majority of the money available from Europe to improve broadband in rural areas, there is some hope. But if they squander this money in urban areas which already have access to decent broadband, then the digital divide will be even more pronounced..

If they put into the hands of idiots nothing will be done. We've learned the educated ain't always the right people to run things. Just hope they give the funds to people with some real smarts and commonsense and than we will not disappointed with the outcome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Whats stunning is no body in government or in the media is discussing this topic. I've Eircom for seven years, live in a rural area, close to a major city. But the highest package i can from them is 7 meg./ but only get 5 meg of that.

Urban areas now have speeds in excess of 100 meg already. That's 20 times what i have now, that for me is a joke and should be tolerated. Were is the fairness in this policy? Why is there no competition?

Eircom least provide ASDL 2 (20meg) for god sake.

5, this is little old me and below is what people in urban areas now can get!

5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95, 100/ 105 110 115

Providing ADSL2 is fek all use, I live 2km from an ADSL2+ Eircom exchange and they refuse to give me more than 6meg due to line distance. There are also no plans to upgrade my exchange to FTTC or FTTH within the next 5 years so im stuck on what I have now propably forever unless I end up moving house somewhere else. The only answer for providing rural areas with decent broadband is installing the FTTC cabinets throughout the countryside and people will stand a much better chance of getting decent speeds. The technology is perfect for rural locations yet Eircom insist on just installing it in urban areas where it is going to waste with most customers already on UPC or in the process of changing over to them.

Just so people know.

1. Eircom have c.1200 exchanges.
    2. 930 - 940 of the c 1200 exchanges have ADSL1 'up to' 8mbits. Some only 3mbit max.
    3 Of the 930-940 around 400 have been upgraded to ADSL2+ 'up to' 24mbits under the Ngb marketing exercise. Some only supply 8 mbits max owing to equipment constraints.

Finally OUT of the 400 out of 1200 exchanges that were upgraded to ADSL2 eircom intend to further upgrade around 100 of them to FTTx and will not upgrade more than 200 of them. 1 in 6 or thereabouts.

Do remember that eircom still haven't completed their ADSL1 Upgrade Program announced in April 2007 . So don't hang around in anticipation. :(

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It's not just Rural areas that are in the crapper. I'm in Drogheda (largest town in Ireland) on the Dublin road and currently am 'lucky' if I can get 1.8mbits on Eircom's 'Next Generation' broadband package. Eircom are the 1 biggest factor in Ireland falling so far behind the rest of the world. Thank you Mary O'Rourke and Fianna Fail!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

They have started to upgrade Dun Laoghaire to Fibre.
    Thank goodness. Hopefully they can cover the blind spots that UPC missed, so I can finally get my fibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Xeyn wrote: »
    They have started to upgrade Dun Laoghaire to Fibre.
    Thank goodness. Hopefully they can cover the blind spots that UPC missed, so I can finally get my fibre!
    In the meantime this might be a better option
    all-bran.jpeg

:D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just so people know.

Finally OUT of the 400 out of 1200 exchanges that were upgraded to ADSL2 eircom intend to further upgrade around 100 of them to FTTx and will not upgrade more than 200 of them. 1 in 6 or thereabouts.

Sponge Bob, it's not that I'm doubting your numbers, but I'm having difficulty understanding the figures (or spin if you like).

According to this source, there are 1.7 million homes.
    According to the title of this thread, Eircom plans to reach 1m homes.
    According to you, they will upgrade "around 100" exchanges.

Does that mean there are around 1,100 exchanges for 700K homes? :confused:

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something, because our journalists in the Indo or the Times would by now have taken a list of the exchanges and gone to the CSO to get the number of households in those areas, and see if the numbers add to 1 million homes. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

o

Here is a handy dandy map that explains some of your questions:
    http://irelandoffline.org/2012/03/probable-eircom-fttc-locations-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sponge Bob, it's not that I'm doubting your numbers, but I'm having difficulty understanding the figures (or spin if you like).

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something, because our journalists in the Indo or the Times would by now have taken a list of the exchanges and gone to the CSO to get the number of households in those areas, and see if the numbers add to 1 million homes. :o

You're not reading his post correctly. The part you quoted "Finally OUT of the 400 out of 1200 exchanges that were upgraded to ADSL2"
    The important part here is that these 1200 exchanges are the ones that are upgraded to ADSL2. I'm sure there are many more exchanges around the country that service homes for telephony service only.

SickBoy wrote: »
    The important part here is that these 1200 exchanges are the ones that are upgraded to ADSL2.
    thank you SickBoy, thats makes more sense.
    Looks like i picked the wrong weekend to quit the drink

AIRPLANE.jpg

I intrepreted Sponge Bob's post as

Eircom having 1,200 broadband exchanges in total
      100 or thereabouts are been upgraded to FTTx
      300 (400 less 100 above) or therabouts have been upgraded to ADSL2+ 'up to' 24mbits
      530 - 540 (930/940 less the 400 above) have ADSL1 'up to' 8mbits.
      The remaining 260-270 to remain with dial-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

300 (400 less 100 above) or therabouts have been upgraded to ADSL2+ 'up to' 24mbits

That's about right

Exchanges = 1200
    Exchanges with Any BB = 940

ONLY exchanges that have Adsl 2 Now will get Fibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Exchanges = 1200
    Exchanges with Any BB = 940

ONLY exchanges that have Adsl 2 Now will get Fibre

Only a quarter of those, you mean?

Only a quarter of those, you mean?
    As few as 100 and 'up to' 250

• Advertisement

There are 2m homes. It is just that 300,000 of them are empty and also that many of the empty ones never had a phone line. :D

eircom picked a number out of their holes to sound good. UPC pass around 800k homes with their cable network so eircom had to sound more impressive. :)

Remember that the largest exchanges are often in urban areas with lots of offices ....not so many homes. Large suburban exchanges do lots of homes of course, eg Nutley or Priory Park or Belcamp or Shantalla or Douglas. I posted the largest 100 exchanges some time back in this thread.

eircom has 2.5m lines attached to their exchanges of which perhaps 1.4m are in service right now.

The smallest 1000 exchanges in Ireland have a combined 715k of these lines (home and business) attached to them.

In other words the top 200 exchanges have over 2/3 of all the phone lines in Ireland connected to them.

The top 56 exchanges alone have 40% of all the phone lines, 1m out of the 2.5m physical phone lines in Ireland, connected to them.

I don't have a business / residential breakdown .

HTH

There are 2m homes. It is just that 300,000 of them are empty and also that many of the empty ones never had a phone line. :D

eircom picked a number out of their holes to sound good. UPC pass around 800k homes with their cable network so eircom had to sound more impressive. :)

Remember that the largest exchanges are often in urban areas with lots of offices ....not so many homes. Large suburban exchanges do lots of homes of course, eg Nutley or Priory Park or Belcamp or Shantalla or Douglas. I posted the largest 100 exchanges some time back in this thread.

eircom has 2.5m lines attached to their exchanges of which perhaps 1.4m are in service right now.

The smallest 1000 exchanges in Ireland have a combined 715k of these lines (home and business) attached to them.

In other words the top 200 exchanges have over 2/3 of all the phone lines in Ireland connected to them.

The top 56 exchanges alone have 40% of all the phone lines, 1m out of the 2.5m physical phone lines in Ireland, connected to them.

If that is the case, then I agree with their current business strategy.
    The "the top 200 exchanges have over 2/3 of all the phone lines" - makes perfect sense to concentrate on this infrastructure. Sounds like many lines in an urban area and so would not be far from an exchange.
    If the cost of capital comes down in the future, then perhaps the remaining 1/3 may provide a sufficient return on capital, but right now, it makes no sense.

You say that the smallest 1000 exchanges have a combined 715K lines, this would suggest that on average, they EACH have only 715 lines. The significance of this is that it would suggest they are very rural.
    We know that distance to the exchange can be really important for proper broadband, so why bother updating these lines when people will still not get decent speeds after an upgrade. I don't see what alternative they have, spends millions on these exchanges only to be told by customers that they live so far from the exchange, they can get faster speeds on dongles.
    Besides Eircom can (and should) offer low price broadband dongles to people in this areas. So it would only be competing with itself - No :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In theory though, the number of lines an exchange has shouldn't really be relevant as it only matters that there are cabinets with more than 100 lines or so and that the lines served by the cabinet are all less than about 1km long. (This is a simplistic analogy but bear with it). The only other things these cabinets need are a power supply and fibre backhaul. The same also applies to rural exchanges which already have fibre and have a hundred or two lines which are all less than 1km away. Installing VDSL gear in a small exchange should be cheaper again than adding it alongside an outdoor cabinet serving a housing estate.

So selecting the rollout based purely on population of the area makes less sense than simply finding all cabinets serving a given number of short lines that has easy access to fibre backhaul and ESB.

So selecting the rollout based purely on population of the area makes less sense than simply finding all cabinets serving a given number of short lines that has easy access to fibre backhaul and ESB.

Absolutely, even in rural areas you get clumps of 100 lines serving premises within 1km of, say, a crossroads. It is also important that you know the precise power consumption as the ESB will provide unmetered connections where the power consumption is 1kw or less ( I think 1kw is the number and you pay a flat rate 24/7)

This is why eg street lights are not individually metered.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

My area is connected into one of these. Rural Co. Wexford. We built a house 5 years ago, had Eircom install a phone connection and called them to get broadband only to be told that the exchange we are served by is not ADSL enabled. They told me it would be done within the next 12 months. Still not done. Is there any realistic chance of some of these exchanges being ADSL enabled? Have to rely on mobile BB and its a joke. Am starting a college course in September and my only option seems to be getting Broadband installed into my parent in laws house and do my course there......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

• The remaining 260-270 to remain with dial-up!

In 2012, that figure is beyond disgraceful, I am in an area without line Broadband and the best Eircom can offer is a dongle ..... How Eircom can justify providing some areas with fiber optic speeds and other rural areas with dial up is beyond me. . . we have paid the exact same prices over the past 40 years and Eircom now turn around and leave us now with dial up ... 10 years after parts of the country were first given Broadband.

p.oconnor wrote: »
      Eircom now turn around and leave us now with dial up ... 10 years after parts of the country were first given Broadband.

To add insult to injury...areas upgraded to ADSL then ADSL2 then VDSL will get free lines with NO LINE RENTAL after the VDSL upgrade....... whereas everyone on Dial Up will have to pay €26 line rental as well as their €30 a month dialup costs.

On the other hand the same €56 a month will get you 50mbit VDSL in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

To add insult to injury...areas upgraded to ADSL then ADSL2 then VDSL will get free lines with NO LINE RENTAL after the VDSL upgrade....... whereas everyone on Dial Up will have to pay €26 line rental as well as their €30 a month dialup costs.

On the other hand the same €56 a month will get you 50mbit VDSL in urban areas.

Its great to see us out the country subsidising faster urban speeds with our dial up connections...... dispicable.

In 2012, that figure is beyond disgraceful,
      ah but that was my point above - 200 odd exchanges sounds a lot, but if they are the smallest exchanges, it probably only accounts for maybe 100,000 lines. Just guessing at numbers here, but if there were 1,300,000 - 1,700,000 lines in total, these exchanges would account for less than 6-8% of the total - in other words over 92% of lines in the country would be broadband enabled. So the numbers don't look as big.
      How Eircom can justify providing some areas with fiber optic speeds and other rural areas with dial up is beyond me
      Well it depends on The Economic Value Added (EVA) for such investment. You'd be pretty pissed if management were destroying shareholder wealth (not that they didn't over the last few years :D) But ignoring sunk costs to date, starting from now, the question would have to be, will it yield a return in excess of the cost of capital?
      . . . we have paid the exact same prices over the past 40 years
      Yes you have been paying Eircom for the past 40 years, but you have received the service over that period - did you not?
      and Eircom now turn around and leave us now with dial up ... 10 years after parts of the country were first given Broadband.
      This was the point I was making above, would DSL work for really remote areas given their remote distance. But as To_be_confirmed said, it would if "the lines served by the cabinet are all less than about 1km long" and had "a power supply and fibre backhaul". But if these cabinets have to be powered by electricity, and the lines out of them to be of short length, surely that might involve the investment of an awful lot of cabinets in very rural areas to keep lines short - is there not an additional cost not being factored into by people?
      I have no idea - perhaps the solution would simply be a higher line rental cost for people in remote areas. They are already paying a higher line rental cost anyway so it was no change anyway :)

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Is Eircom solely responsible for providing broadband for the entire country?

Advertisement