Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

jca wrote: »
    I don't think homeplugs will work with your setup, all sockets need to be on the same ring circuit.
    Not true.

TP-Link 500 are so good, I tried it in the next door neighbors house. Internet still worked perfect.
    (just insure you password protect it).

(replying to user with problems, these plugs work from router , past fuse box, outside onto street, into neighbors house, thru his fuse box, and works perfect ! we share our internet..cheaper!)

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

thanks Mark, ill try that........what kind of speeds do you get over and over what distance vs from the router directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I havent CAT 5, only multi strand telco cable.........I'll buy a pair of the plugs and try them out using my existing set up.....other than that, I think I'll look at wireless extenders........anyone found a particularly good model ? Worst case I'll get one of those 802.11ac access points.....although I guess the range will not be significantly different......

Hi there :)

Right PLC (Power line) - it will work through fine through circuit breakers (provided the breaker is closed) - usually any electrical circuit going throght the same circuit board is fine - if there are two fuse boxes then you may have problems. Leaders in PLC technology is Devolo who make the Vodafone power line tech (here http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/add-ons/?ts=1370420084261) it also offer automatic security, electrical passthrough etc - by all accounts the TP link device is fine too.

On wireless - Most of the NGA modems support 802.11b/g/n with dual channel and 2x2 MiMo so you sohuld get good coverage - Certainly the Vodafone and eircom ones do. the 802.11ac stuff is still very new and the standard is not complete but I am sure it will work - people like netgear etc are usually first out of the door with early stuff but it may or may not work with later versions of the standard so be careful :)

On cabinet availability - VDSL is available to all providers at the same time. The cabinet could be ready but not released - regardless of provider, you will get service at the same time, regalrdess of who you choose. If you cabinet is ready, it will probably get released in the coming few weeks.

Hopefully all that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Do home plugs work if there is a circuit breaker in between?
    My garage has its own circuit breaker which comes off the main circuit breaker in the house?....but I will try them also.......do they have any limitations and do they impact any electrical device eg the tv?

Those devices actually send the data back over the neutral wires in your house.

There are two types of protection devices used in your house:

1: MCB (Miniature Circuit Breakers) these are overcurrent protection i.e. they trip if the current flowing is more than a set value e.g. 16 or 20amps on a typical Irish socket circuit. These are only connected across the live. So, basically they'll have no impact whatsoever on your home plugs, even if tripped (except that you'd have no power). Older installations used bottle-shaped screw in cartridge fuses called "Diazed" or "Neozed" for this purpose.

2: RCD (Residual Current Device) these trip if a difference of more than 30mA (or 10mA in some cases) is detected between the live and neutral. They're designed to prevent electric shock.
    In these devices, the live and neutral pass through a transformer and this can have a serious degrading effect on home-plug data.

Depending on how and when your home was wired, the design of the circuits would be different.

In a typical Irish home, there was a single RCD on the socket circuits and perhaps another covering hotwater heaters and usually a seperate one for showers etc.

Sometimes garages / sheds would have their own RCD and panel.

Older wiring (pre 1980) wouldn't usually have any RCDs at all, unless one was retrofitted.

Some newer installations have more than one RCD so, you can have situations where there's one per circuit in some cases where they've used a combined RCB/MCB device called RCBO.

RCDs are a great invention though - they genuinely save millions of people from bad electric shocks every year. Far more fundamentally important than home-plug data :)

Basically, if everything's on the same RCD, you should get good data speeds.
    If the data has to pass through an RCD e.g. into a sub-panel in a garage / shed or an RCD-socket you might not get good data throughput.

It usually doesn't kill the connection, but it reduces the speed somewhat or may cause it to become unstable.

If it works in your neighbours house without any speed reduction, you probably both need to consider having RCDs fitted for shock protection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Engineer has just left. 50mb package with eircom.

Cabled connection:

2753547385.png

Wireless connection:

2753551165.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

dubmick wrote: »
    I am living in Balrothery (on the Balbriggan exchange). Phase two roll out due the beginning of June. Rang Vodafone last week and was told I could get up to 50mb and to call back at the beginning of June. Vodafone now saying the exchange isn't ready despite Eircom taking orders. What makes it even more frustrating is that I know my cab is commissioned.

There is something well dodgy going on, on the Balbriggan exchange.

Eircom have told me last week on the phone I can order now for my home phone number but I don't want to go with Eircom. Vodafone can't offer me the service & don't have a date for when they can.

Eircom's own site gives completely conflicting info. They have now updated their line checker to say "July to December 2013", whereas their map still states May to June.

It is entirely anti competitive if Eircom are able to offer services before the other operators on exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

I only got a 10 meg connection. its 10 meg next door, no loss in speed.

Distance.....detached houses (both).

mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Back down in Letterkenny for an hour or so. My Eircom page still hasn't updated with the new broadband package and the usage checker is still missing from the page.
    Ping to google.ie has dropped 1ms since last week lol, speeds are leveled off now:
    2753672746.png
    Odd that my sync speed for upload is 20Mbps, and the attainable is 29, yet it only gets 11Mbps up.
    That still leaves the upload higher than the download I'm getting back home outside Donegal town though :P
    Latency is lower at home though, sitting at 12-14ms on fixed wireless.
    I hope they bring down this interleaving a bit, or at least make it a choice between fastpath and interleaved because it seems everyone is on near the same 25-28ms to google.ie.
    That's a bit high for "Fibre powered".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

Lovely gentleman installed eFibre for us this morning! On the 50Mb package, ping is about the same as it used to be but the speed has gone from about 8Mb to 47Mb. Really happy with it! :D

2753720489.png

Our area is due to launch soon but I'm about 400m from one cabinet and maybe 600m from the other.

I wonder what speeds I'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Download speeds seem to be pretty much bang on in a lot of cases based on the usual DSL overheads etc but how can the slower upload speed be explained?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

@leigh852, very nice, how far are you from cabinet? enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    @leigh852, very nice, how far are you from cabinet? enjoy

About 150m roughly so pretty close :)

Upload was 5Mb and has been steadily increasing since. its at about 10Mb now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

2753807774.png
    just got it set up a few mins ago. download speed is perfecto but the Upload he said should be at least 10-12. Im not bothered though. beats my old 256kb upload anyday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Wambo wrote: »
    just got it set up a few mins ago. download speed is perfecto but the Upload he said should be at least 10-12. Im not bothered though. beats my old 256kb upload anyday lol

Where are you located and how far are you away from the nearest cabinet?

red_bairn wrote: »
    Where are you located and how far are you away from the nearest cabinet?
    I'm down in tallaght. Also id say I'm at least 600-700m away from our cabinet.

Wambo wrote: »
    I'm down in tallaght. Also id say I'm at least 600-700m away from our cabinet.

Ok, so you are probably on the rate adaptive profile.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Ok, so you are probably on the rate adaptive profile.
    Yea the guy said I was on a 70mb package but he said I probably wouldn't be able to get those speeds because of my distance to the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5efyl3ci0cne13e/internet.png

Speed that im getting from digiweb,

cant do a speedtest because i actually dont have internet yet, still waiting on the username and password for the broadband and that takes 24hours.

Digiweb are using the FRITZ!Box 7360.
    http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7360/index.php

Never heard of the brand but it has some cool features,
    it has 2x gigabyte ports and 2x 100mb ports on the back.

im about 500-530m from the cab.

If you need anymore info just ask ;)

That's a very nice router, is it locked down or can you configure it yourself?

I'd be interested in using maybe Blueface VoIP rather than digiweb.

Their prices seem ridiculously high though compared to eircom and vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

GIMickey wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5efyl3ci0cne13e/internet.png

Speed that im getting from digiweb,

cant do a speedtest because i actually dont have internet yet, still waiting on the username and password for the broadband and that takes 24hours.

Digiweb are using the FRITZ!Box 7360.
    http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7360/index.php

Never heard of the brand but it has some cool features,
    it has 2x gigabyte ports and 2x 100mb ports on the back.

im about 500-530m from the cab.

If you need anymore info just ask ;)

Looking forward to getting installed now.

My exchange went live over the weekend and Digiweb put through the order early Tuesday.

Any idea how long ill be waiting ?
    Or how long before I get a text with a date for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Any tips on increasing the range with the F1000? Tech came today and installed the modem downstairs. It's 30 mb downstairs, but only 5 upstairs (this is with all doors open, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Razleavy wrote: »
    Any tips on increasing the range with the F1000? Tech came today and installed the modem downstairs. It's 30 mb downstairs, but only 5 upstairs (this is with all doors open, etc.)

Best bet really is to invest in a powerline repeater to cover upstairs. You could change to 5ghz if the f supports it but only very recent devices support it so there's a good chance that would eliminate some devices in the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Razleavy wrote: »

Try changing around the channels, the F1000 has a nice feature where it will scan all the channels and give you the noise on each channel, pick one with the least amount of noise and test.

ED E wrote: »
    Best bet really is to invest in a powerline repeater to cover upstairs. You could change to 5ghz if the f supports it but only very recent devices support it so there's a good chance that would eliminate some devices in the household.

It's suppose to be dual-band. So he can set it that some devices will get 5ghz and others 2.4ghz. Happy days! :D

But yeah, for those who have offices on the far side of a house or where they still find the modem aint being picked up, use powerline adapters/home plugs.

I can pick up my wireless signal on our NETGEAR DGN2200 outside the front and back of the house about 20m away in the back garden.

See the picture (on two channels)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

just got it working, KN did the install, I am with VF so when the red light stayed on over the internet bit on modem, he says " thats me finished ring VF" And he said when he does Eircom installs they sync immediately, he did say he brings the eircom routers with him. After ringing VF and getting passed around they said I would have to wait etc could be a few hours or a few days!! I got persuasive and within a minute it was switched on, only snag at the moment I have to leave telephone cable unplugged. I had tel cable plugged into wallplate or the installer did that. Anyway with tel cable out this is the result.

I will try later with tel cable plugged into modem.

http://speedtest.net/result/2754069563.png

distance from cab is 800metres more or less. So I am on the 40mb/10mb profile and not bad, from 5.46mb down.

pretty pleased but if line misbehaves they will cut back the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Have changed around the channels, etc. Do those repeaters add much in terms of ping? Looks like we will have to get the tech back as the phone line in the Kitchen no longer works after the installation today (modem is in another room). I might just get him to install it upstairs if he has to come back (don't ask why it wasn't installed upstairs this time again :().

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

GIMickey wrote: »

Great piece of kit, you can also add dect phones to this and use VOIP capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

I'm going to run an extension cable before i get it installed.

Am i better off to use cat3 or cat5 cable ?

• Advertisement

Cork981 wrote: »
    I'm going to run an extension cable before i get it installed.

Am i better off to use cat3 or cat5 cable ?

God no! Future proof that sh*t! Cat5 or 6.

Advertisement