Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

Mylow wrote: »
    Great piece of kit, you can also add dect phones to this and use VOIP capability.

Even so, their prices are very high.
    I wouldn't be overly keen to go for a package with caps and their unlimited package is €79.95/month on the 70mbit/s pack.

red_bairn wrote: »
    God no! Future proof that sh*t! Cat5 or 6.

Definitely run CAT6, it's not really any more expensive or difficult to run and you can always use it for ethernet in the future if you opt to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Definitely run CAT6, it's not really any more expensive or difficult to run and you can always use it for ethernet in the future if you opt to.

Don't know how much it is these days. I bought CAT5 in college back in 2005 and that was a few quid just for 30m. But I guess it's still a decent buy nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

red_bairn wrote: »
    Don't know how much it is these days. I bought CAT5 in college back in 2005 and that was a few quid just for 30m. But I guess it's still a decent buy nonetheless.

the length of cable i have to run is maybe 30 - 40 meters.

Hoping this wont have any detrimental effect on my sync speed.

Might ask them to test the sync rate at the main socket then at the new area 30 - 40m away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The cabinet on the left appeared in my estate today (Lis Na Dara, Carrick Rd, Dundalk). Contractors on behalf of Eircom were digging trenches etc last week. Dundalk due to get efibre in July-December 2013.

KN fellas working on this cabinet this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cabs around Enniscorthy have their id stickers in place today.Eircom have updated their site to say we'll be live this month instead of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

The digiweb router ISNT locked down i can work away and configure no boller, after playing around with it, its a very gud piece of kit. lots of customizable features.

To the installation, i was waiting since last wednesday, so one week i waited, i think i was told this morning i was the first digiweb install in ireland lol.

I dont know how i got my modem early, but digiweb said they do not issue the modem until eircom come to your house and install the new faceplate on you fone socket. Once installed eircom tell digiweb that its all gud then digiweb send the modem.

In my case i got the modem the day before the eircom guy came. But now im waiting on the username and password for the internet. I have a 50mb connection and i cant use it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

be careful, i just got VF installed and had to ring them to get switched over, the blooming router updated automatically and deleted all my settings, worse still it changed the password for admin settings so I cant get back in to bridge it.

and i cant even get it to accept ddns.

can you not get user and pw over the phone?? and yes that router you have is ace, cant believe an ISP is providing it .. as yes digiweb the most expensive ISP in the world!!

They'd really want to reconsider their prices, even if the Fritzbox is a cool device, it's not worth paying an extra €20 / month for!

I mean, they're not offering anything more than Vodafone or Eircom yet they're charging *way* more money for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Cabs around Enniscorthy have their id stickers in place today.Eircom have updated their site to say we'll be live this month instead of December.
    Not looking great for me. The cabinet that (I think) serves my house doesn't even have a vdsl cabinet never mind having a sticker:confused: Its the box at the Community workshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Would the aldi one not do the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

bush wrote: »
    Would the aldi one not do the job?
    I hope not because its further from my house unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I know digiweb r seriously expensive,

you have two choices switch ISP or

send customer care email complaints about the prices daily. customercare@digiweb.ie

I upgraded and i am still complaining about the prices.

And i cant get the username and password over the fone because according to tech support, it hasnt been generated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    I am currently in the process of trying to sign up for vodafone fibre, but as i am a smart telecom customer there seems to be a problem with me transferring over, has any other smart telecom customers changed to either of the two viable options, eircom or vodafone, as digiweb are out of the ball park with their prices,
    any advice or help greatly appreciated on this one, i am also on the verge of cancelling my vodafone order as they cannot seem to handle the procedure of a provider transfer.
    many thanks all,

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

zerks wrote: »

All cabinets in Gorey are done (except 2, first cabinet has no fiber, second cabinet not installed - Ramsgate village) - rest have sticker.
    According Eircom website In Gorey they will lunch efiber between July and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

domeld wrote: »
    All cabinets in Gorey are done (except 2, first cabinet has no fiber, second cabinet not installed - Ramsgate village) - rest have sticker.
    According Eircom website In Gorey they will lunch efiber between July and December.

Good...

Do you by any chance know if all the cabinets are mapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

apophis wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am currently in the process of trying to sign up for vodafone fibre, but as i am a smart telecom customer there seems to be a problem with me transferring over, has any other smart telecom customers changed to either of the two viable options, eircom or vodafone, as digiweb are out of the ball park with their prices,
    any advice or help greatly appreciated on this one, i am also on the verge of cancelling my vodafone order as they cannot seem to handle the procedure of a provider transfer.
    many thanks all,

Hi there,

The folks over at this forum will sort it out for you :)

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

Thanks

Are there any more areas due to go live soon?

Looking at the coloured blob map on the eircom.net/fibre site there seems to be quite a few exchange areas marked for May-June launch e.g. both "Waterford" and "Waterford Tycor" and "Churchfield" and "Wellington Road" in Cork and "Killarney".

Are these going to launch soon, or is the map even accurate?

Also, why is the area around Ballinlough / Blackrock in Cork City not coloured in at all on the map? I've seen cabinets being installed in that area.

There seems to be a big chunk of Dublin City Centre not coloured in either from Templebar through to Smithfield and Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Are there any more areas due to go live soon?

Looking at the coloured blob map on the eircom.net/fibre site there seems to be quite a few exchange areas marked for May-June launch e.g. both "Waterford" and "Waterford Tycor" and "Churchfield" and "Wellington Road" in Cork and "Killarney".

Are these going to launch soon, or is the map even accurate?

Churchfield went live over the weekend.

The address checker was updated to reflect this, still to change on the map though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

apophis wrote: »
    many thanks all,

Heya,
    Could you drop me over an email to ecare_ie@vodafone.com, with a link to this thread and as much detail as you can (order number, landline number etc, just a way to find the order.)

We'll get the team to see why it's not working out for you.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

ALL done Darren, thanks for looking into this for me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Just got Fibre up and running in our house in Letterkenny so i'll post up some before and afters

2755176106.png

82213437.png

Now we're getting....

2755917985.png

82228205.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

right thats it iam breaking the contract with sky after looking at the speeds people are getting with fiber and sky not answering mails about fiber.

i have roughly 6months left on my contract and pay 10 euro a month for it
    does any one know what i will pay in termination fees??

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

naughto wrote: »
    right thats it iam breaking the contract with sky after looking at the speeds people are getting with fiber and sky not answering mails about fiber.

I emailed the same question to them twice and got the same no answer reply.
    I rang and was told I'm in contract till Dec 2013. I got the intro deal so If I terminate I will have to pay the remaining line rental at full price. I was quoted €295 to terminate.

Now I must say Sky are providing me better speeds than Eircom were.
    Eircom were 0.8mb Sky are 1.3mb

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

naughto wrote: »

You should pay about 60 euro the norm is your monthly fee X the remainder of months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

@Bombleswizzum, great stuff, can you say how far you are from cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Cork981 wrote: »
    Churchfield went live over the weekend.

The address checker was updated to reflect this, still to change on the map though.

Cool could you do the mapping project a favour please?

Add cabinet Go Live Data to the main map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0

1. Find the cabinet marker on the map above , click the red Edit button ( you need to be a Gmail user to see an Edit option) ( go from page to page of the map at the bottom of the list until you see your exchange then zoom in)

2. Click RICH TEXT to preserve existing photos and links before you add to the description.

3. Add text like "Confirmed LIVE VDSL Installed 08/06/2013" (or whatever your install date) is at the bottom of the Description box NOT in the top line. You can also add cabinet photos and location based notes if you wish.

We need the word LIVE in there, that is the important thing.

Press DONE.

Many thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sean007s

I got the 70mb eFibre package installed this morning. I'm very limited in how I can test speeds as my laptop is dead. This is from the Eircom speedtest, other speedtest sites won't work or are inaccurate on the consoles so I apologise. Also this is a wired test.

I've gone from 9mb Down & 530kbs Up

to

37mbs Down & 7.5mbs Up.

While a fairly substantial increase in everything, most people seem to be getting 47mbs down and 10mbs up. I'm not sure if I should be complaining or not. I live in Monkstown, Dun Loagharie (I have no idea where the closest cab is) if that helps.

Anyway, instalation took like 10 minutes which was nice I guess :)

markad1 wrote: »
    I emailed the same question to them twice and got the same no answer reply.
    I rang and was told I'm in contract till Dec 2013. I got the intro deal so If I terminate I will have to pay the remaining line rental at full price. I was quoted €295 to terminate.

Now I must say Sky are providing me better speeds than Eircom were.
    Eircom were 0.8mb Sky are 1.3mb

what are you paying at the minute
    I dont see why we should have to pay the full line rental if where only paying 10 a month

• Advertisement

jjspine wrote: »
    You should pay about 60 euro the norm is your monthly fee X the remainder of months
    i hope this is true as i would jump ship to vodafone but i cant see it being that cheap to break the contract

Advertisement