Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

naughto wrote: »
    what are you paying at the minute
    I dont see why we should have to pay the full line rental if where only paying 10 a month

I got the €17.50pm deal for unlimited broadband and phone anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    @Bombleswizzum, great stuff, can you say how far you are from cabinet?

I think it's about 350m.

Delighted so far, I queued up 48gb of downloads and it took 2 hours 12 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Amazing how this efibre works - my sync rate has dropped today to 50/15 from 60/20 and here is the result -
    2756168306.png
    Much more stable with a far higher upstream rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

PeadarB wrote: »
    Amazing how this efibre works - my sync rate has dropped today to 50/15 from 60/20 and here is the result -
    2756168306.png
    Much more stable with a far higher upstream rate.

Mind me asking where you live? I'm in Kevinsfort Heath and seem to be limited to 30720/ TX:8191(Kbps). I wonder have they set it at that and it can go above or..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Razleavy wrote: »
    Mind me asking where you live? I'm in Kevinsfort Heath and seem to be limited to 30720/ TX:8191(Kbps). I wonder have they set it at that and it can go above or..
    Hi Razleavy I'm in Letterkenny. My account was due to be activated today and an auto-correct may have been done on the pre-qualification test on my line, hence the drop in sync. With consistently high FEC rates I could be looking at a line fault or bad connection somewhere. Though the other params seem ok. Oh to know these things!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

PeadarB wrote: »
    Hi Razleavy I'm in Letterkenny. My account was due to be activated today and an auto-correct may have been done on the pre-qualification test on my line, hence the drop in sync. With consistently high FEC rates I could be looking at a line fault or bad connection somewhere. Though the other params seem ok. Oh to know these things!!

Ah sorry I seen Sligo on the speedtest and made a silly assumption:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Droguser

i did a small bit of tidying up, on the cable connections in my house
    before doing this, i got 28mb down and 8.4 mb up on speed test.

now i get

2756772240.png

router is showing Attainable Net Data Rate: 13.638 Mbps 43.456 Mbps all this at 800M from cabinet.

happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Digiweb Speedtest

Before
    2748390192.png

After

2756706706.png

Connection still isnt 100% coz a couple of the speedtest were showing pings of 237ms and others in the 100's.

But faster than 96% of ya's now lol.

Line attainable is showing 72Mb.

here is my best ping
    82240251.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Quick question for those connected: How long before power cables are connected to the cab until the ESB power it up & it goes live?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

You people with your 2013 Broadband Speeds make me want to cry.

Small town on 1300 here is probably going to be on the last day rollout of eFibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Bit annoyed with Eircom, based in Arklow and put my address into the checker last week and it came up that I was all good to go. Completed the order online got an email with acknowledgment saying an engineer will be in touch to schedule install though strangely no order number was included.

Rang today to follow up and after being on hold for 20mins was told no record even exists and it was impossible that I placed an order as exchange still not enabled. How hard is it for them to make sure the data on the site is correct and not mislead people.

Has anyone else in Arklow succesfully placed an order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Slightly off topic but maybe those who are on fibre could answer this one. If it ever becomes available in my area I would be taking the BB only. The only problem I can see with getting this is with my second sky box on multi-room subscription. Will the box be able to "contact" sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

depends on the contract, think the usual is 6-8 months, once you're with them that long it doesn't need to be connected to the line, you'll get a message saying it's not connected though when you turn it on each time, but as far as I know you can turn this off in the settings !

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Droguser wrote: »
    i did a small bit of tidying up, on the cable connections in my house
    before doing this, i got 28mb down and 8.4 mb up on speed test.

now i get

2756772240.png

router is showing Attainable Net Data Rate: 13.638 Mbps 43.456 Mbps all this at 800M from cabinet.

happy days

I thought the speed dropped dramatically based on the distance from the exchange? If you're getting those speeds at 800m, does that mean we'll be able to get fibre at 1170m from the exchange here in Cobh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Azhrei wrote: »
    I thought the speed dropped dramatically based on the distance from the exchange? If you're getting those speeds at 800m, does that mean we'll be able to get fibre at 1170m from the exchange here in Cobh?

After the first 1km they drop off rapidly. And Eircom said the wont supply it to anyone over 1km away.

Nolars wrote: »
    After the first 1km they drop off rapidly. And Eircom said the wont supply it to anyone over 1km away.

Super :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

claytonie wrote: »
    Bit annoyed with Eircom, based in Arklow and put my address into the checker last week and it came up that I was all good to go. Completed the order online got an email with acknowledgment saying an engineer will be in touch to schedule install though strangely no order number was included.

Rang today to follow up and after being on hold for 20mins was told no record even exists and it was impossible that I placed an order as exchange still not enabled. How hard is it for them to make sure the data on the site is correct and not mislead people.

Has anyone else in Arklow succesfully placed an order?

I'm in Arklow. Pretty much check every day online but never been able to place an order due to exhange not enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

with vdsl it is not the distance from the exchange that counts it is the distance from the dslam cab:D

ferpur wrote: »
    with vdsl it is not the distance from the exchange that counts it is the distance from the dslam cab:D

Well, I'm confused. Based on the Eircom map, it shows the Cobh exchange as the point we will be getting fibre from, not the cabinets. There is a cabinet just outside our estate, though with no fibre cabinet attached yet (they're the smaller ones, right?). Does that mean we should be measuring our distance to that cabinet and not the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well, I'm confused.

think of the cabinets as extensions of the exchange and you are now connected to the cabinet and not all the way back to the exchange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

In this new system "the exchange" is no longer relevant to your broadband at all, it's basically become part of the core network rather than something you're connected directly to. The new DSLAMs are all in cabinets on the street and your local exchange is now just a big router that processes all that data from the cabinet and feeds it back into the eircom NGN or other company's backhaul networks.

From a broadband point of view for this "FTTC" stuff, the nearest cabinet basically is your "exchange".

From what I've read on line, on eircom's own site and stuff, there are no VDSL2 services being installed in any exchange building. They're all cabinets. So, even if you're very close to the exchange building, you'll still be connected to one of those small green cabinets.

Basically, the DSL access part of your local exchange has been distributed to 30 to 50 cabinets, instead of being located all in one central spot.

It should be somewhat more reliable for DSL too as they're cleaning up all the DIY installations in people's houses and it shortens the copper lines so, any fault should be a bit easier to figure out in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Once you get to about 1.3Km VDSL speeds are more or less the same as ADSL2+ and to be honest, ADSL2+ will probably perform slightly better.

Vectoring may help.

Ideally to really get VDSL benefits you need to be <1km from the exchange.

Nothing to to with the providers - just physics :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is down to the distance from 'point of supply' ...... in this roll-out new cabinets are installed bringing 'point of supply' closer to the end user. You must be within 1Km of the 'point of supply' to avail of the new service.

Where no cabinets are installed then the exchange is the 'point of supply' for everyone.

Are there exchanges which do not have 'extension' cabinets but are providing vdsl to end users? ......

bealtine wrote: »
    think of the cabinets as extensions of the exchange and you are now connected to the cabinet and not all the way back to the exchange

Well, like I said in a previous post, our apartment is exactly 1170m from the exchange in town, and exactly 119m from the cabinet. Does that mean Eircom will be adding the smaller fibre cabinet beside it and we'll be able to get fibre after all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

crawler wrote: »
    Once you get to about 1.3Km VDSL speeds are more or less the same as ADSL2+ and to be honest, ADSL2+ will probably perform slightly better.

Vectoring may help.

Ideally to really get VDSL benefits you need to be <1km from the exchange.

Nothing to to with the providers - just physics :(

From the graphs I've seen posted here, ADSL2+ actually performs significantly better over long lines.

They should use DSL repeaters though to make long lines a bit more practical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL_loop_extender

Well, like I said in a previous post, our apartment is exactly 1170m from the exchange in town, and exactly 119m from the cabinet. Does that mean Eircom will be adding the smaller fibre cabinet beside it and we'll be able to get fibre after all?

@ 1170m on ADSL2+ (exchange launched) you would get about 20Mbps downstream - assuming good quality copper and no faults

@119m from the cabinet you would get around 63Mbps on VDSL2+ downstream - assuming good quality copper and no fault, without vectoring

What exchange are you connected to?

From the graphs I've seen posted here, ADSL2+ actually performs significantly better over long lines.

They should use DSL repeaters though to make long lines a bit more practical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL_loop_extender

Yep - as I said, ADSL2+ performs better on longer lines.

On repeaters - there is no free lunch -as I said, physics takes all the fun out of it :D - I'm not a fan of repeaters - additional point of failure, cause cross talk in bundled cables, break etc etc

Well, I'm confused. Based on the Eircom map, it shows the Cobh exchange as the point we will be getting fibre from, not the cabinets. There is a cabinet just outside our estate, though with no fibre cabinet attached yet (they're the smaller ones, right?). Does that mean we should be measuring our distance to that cabinet and not the exchange?

I dont see Cobh on the list to be upgrded to fibre (either exchange or cabinets)

I see Clon, Crosshaven, cork city etc.... :(

John

crawler wrote: »
    @ 1170m on ADSL2+ (exchange launched) you would get about 20Mbps downstream - assuming good quality copper and no faults

@119m from the cabinet you would get around 63Mbps on VDSL2+ downstream - assuming good quality copper and no fault, without vectoring

What exchange are you connected to?

We're connected to the Cobh exchange, which is due to be enabled in July according to our ISP.

• Advertisement

We're connected to the Cobh exchange, which is due to be enabled in July according to our ISP.

that would be super - then at that distance (119m) you should get really good speeds :)

Advertisement