Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

crawler wrote: »
    I dont see Cobh on the list to be upgrded to fibre (either exchange or cabinets)

I see Clon, Crosshaven, cork city etc.... :(

John

Cobh is definitely on the list. Check the map on www.eircom.ie/fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

crawler wrote: »
    that would be super - then at that distance (119m) you should get really good speeds :)

Well hopefully! But the cabinet is on the other end of our estate to the exchange, which means it's roughly 1300m+ from the exchange. With the cabinet at that distance, does that mean we're out of luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

@droguser, now that is interesting, this is me at about 800 metres.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2758296814.png

Nb I have one cable straight from the eircom connection unit via the loft to faceplate ie nothing in between.

are you still using eircom router?

its the new vdsl2 cabinet that you need to spot, thats what you connect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone here move from Smart to Eircom for this? After nearly 3 weeks I haven't heard anything from eircom so phoned them up and they don't have any record of my order(through a rep). They said if I want to order now, I have to move over to their NGB bundle for a month before I can be moved to eFibre as they can't move me directly to eFibre.
    What's that about?

Do Vodafone have those restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi CastorTroy,
    I am a smart telecom customer myself, and currently trying to get signed up with vodafone and am having some trouble doing so, i don`t know if it`s an issue with smart, or the fact that smart uses eircom exchanges but there is a problem with smart customers in general i think(not sure), if i am wrong please someone correct me, i am also waiting for word back from a vodafone rep called Darren who said he would help me look into my problem, if anything i hear back can help you in any way i will PM you and let you know.
    good luck,

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't understand why they'd make it so awkward to change over. If I have to wait another month and pay ~€50 for the NGB in that month, then I'll just cancel my order and look at vodafone.

Also saw your post on the vodafone forum. Think you need to update your link to point directly to the post instead of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Cheeseofdeath

Any idea when the Dolphins Barn exchange will be enabled? I know its sometime between July and December.

apophis wrote: »
    Hi CastorTroy,
    I am a smart telecom customer myself, and currently trying to get signed up with vodafone and am having some trouble doing so, i don`t know if it`s an issue with smart, or the fact that smart uses eircom exchanges but there is a problem with smart customers in general i think(not sure), if i am wrong please someone correct me, i am also waiting for word back from a vodafone rep called Darren who said he would help me look into my problem, if anything i hear back can help you in any way i will PM you and let you know.
    good luck,

apophis :cool:

Magnet told me to ring Smart to get a 'circuit ID number' as well as sending in the UAN apparently this speeds things up.

Maybe ask Vodafone what's causing the delay and if there's any more issues raise it with ComReg.

You are supposed to be able to change fixed line operator with no fuss once you've a UAN.

End users shouldn't have to be getting involved with the details of the network to do simple change between providers! The system is supposed to be seamless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

got it installed today very happy with the results

82282812.png

2758623168.png

• Advertisement

how far from cabinet

NB YOU CANNOT BRIDGE THE VF PROVIDED MODEM/ROUTER or GATEWAY as it is also know as.

So Iiwould be wary of VF as I have just been advised that I cannot use my own router and they have locked down the modem/router they provide. So I cant monitor usage, set up guest networks, have my own passwords and so on. I was never told this when I switched but tech support say it is clearly stated in the t&c's but I can find nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

sure just bridge it over into your own router

Will any of the May to June areas launch this week?

arctan, i should have added that important bit you cant get access to the settings to bridge it. hence locked down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Azhrei wrote: »
    Well, like I said in a previous post, our apartment is exactly 1170m from the exchange in town, and exactly 119m from the cabinet. Does that mean Eircom will be adding the smaller fibre cabinet beside it and we'll be able to get fibre after all?

What estate are you in? I'm in Rushbrooke Links which has 2 'old' cabinets (one near entrance, one further in). The first cabinet has a fibre cabinet next to it; the other is still on its own. I'm nearer the solo one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

I'm so sick of eircom. I've called now about 4 times and keep getting some moron that either doesn't understand the problem or can't do anything about it.
    Me: I'm in an area that is already fibre enabled. Every house around me can get it for at least 1km, I've checked using the address checker. :)

Call centre: Well you're cabinet isn't actually enabled yet. We will give you a call when you can get it. :pac:

Me: :confused: (Repeat) I'm in an area that is already fibre enabled. Every house around me can get it for at least 1km, I've checked using the address checker.

Call centre: We will give you a call when you can get it. :pac:

Me: If you say so. How long will it take? :(

Call centre: Don't know but you should be able to get it within the next few months. :pac:

Me: LOL Bye :mad:

They don't seem to know much themselves. I seem to be one of the addresses that is missing from the checker. This was confirmed by the first guy I got when I called who was actually useful. My address wasn't in their system but he couldn't do anything about it. (He said he couldn't get it (fibre broadband) himself).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Manc Red wrote: »
    I'm so sick of eircom. I've called now about 4 times and keep getting some moron that either doesn't understand the problem or can't do anything about it.

They don't seem to know much themselves. I seem to be one of the addresses that is missing from the checker. This was confirmed by the first guy I got when I called who was actually useful. My address wasn't in their system but he couldn't do anything about it. (He said he couldn't get it (fibre broadband) himself).

Same situation here. I was also told it could be months before they actually update the checker.

What I don't get is that the checker is missing a whole load of estates around me and I've been told the cabinet we're connected to is enabled. Surely they would want to update that checker asap. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Finical wrote: »
    Same situation here. I was also told it could be months before they actually update the checker.

What I don't get is that the checker is missing a whole load of estates around me and I've been told the cabinet we're connected to is enabled. Surely they would want to update that checker asap. :confused:

Nope. They have no financial interest in doing it anyway. They will make the same amount of money regardless. Just as long as other folks have it, it will be ok for them because they can just make excuses for the rest.

Monday is my deadline for them. After that, I'll be making a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Nope. They have no financial interest in doing it anyway. They will make the same amount of money regardless. Just as long as other folks have it, it will be ok for them because they can just make excuses for the rest.

What I don't get is that vodafone seems to be using the same sort of checker as they say my line is only capable of up to 24mb.

Surely being competitors, one of them would try to update the shocking checker system.

Or is the systems of all checkers between isps all interlinked back to eircom because they are the force that launched it? Bloody ridiculous. I really am annoyed with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I'm in the exact same position... only when i call up a few odd ones will say i can get it.. I was actually getting it setup but had to wait for Vodafone to let eircom have my BB... I'll try again on monday as it only switched yesterday.

If they don't give it to me i'll be complaining to Comreg as they said i could get it (the main reason i switched over)...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From my dealings with UPC it seems the that the onsite supervising engineers push the addresses that are capable up the chain to be added to the checker. If the guy covering your area didnt notice your house and list it there's nothing the call centre can do, they dont know. You'll only get it when the installation guys finish their area and go back to fill in the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    NB YOU CANNOT BRIDGE THE VF PROVIDED MODEM/ROUTER or GATEWAY as it is also know as.

So Iiwould be wary of VF as I have just been advised that I cannot use my own router and they have locked down the modem/router they provide. So I cant monitor usage, set up guest networks, have my own passwords and so on. I was never told this when I switched but tech support say it is clearly stated in the t&c's but I can find nothing.

hang on, so you can't change ssid, setup port forwarding, mac filter etc? How the hell is this allowed?! But eircom give you full access to their modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

so your making a formal complaint because they cant tell you when fibre will be in your area??

what are are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Morrisseyy

Over the past week I noticed that my local cabinet changed from being blank to having "NMK1_001" written on it (Newtownmountkennedy exchange), reckon this is a good sign that it's been/will soon be enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Morrisseyy wrote: »
    Over the past week I noticed that my local cabinet changed from being blank to having "NMK1_001" written on it (Newtownmountkennedy exchange), reckon this is a good sign that it's been/will soon be enabled?

It's been enabled. Is this the only one been done or have the others there been stick-ified? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Morrisseyy

red_bairn wrote: »
    It's been enabled. Is this the only one been done or have the others there been stick-ified? :D

Think that's the only cabinet in my immediate area so not sure.. Still not showing up on the online checker (as expected), wonder what the chances of them giving me fibre before updating the checker are :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

red_bairn wrote: »

Are we absolutely sure that sticker means enabled though? Has someone in the know confirmed? There's an estate in Douglas with fibre enabled homes and no sticker on the nearest cabinet, unless they're served by a different cabinet. Maybe they haven't got around to stickering yet.

One of the cabinets near our place seems to have no power. There's a duct running up an electricity pole about 20 metres from it. However there's been nothing done to it yet! All the other cabinets in the area look to be connected up and most are showing yellow ID tags.

I'm just hoping that's not my cabinet as it's really looking like there's some kind of issue with the ESB networks connection.

I'm about half way between two cabinets. So fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

forget about stickers does not apply. on the older cabinet it will have a number and when engineer calls he will have a list of lines and the cabinet they are linked to but when he opens the cabinet there is no gurantee the patching was done correctly so then then have to chase line.

So if you have a vdsl2 cabinet near you look for a number on the older cabinet and make a note of it. Ring eircom and quote cabinet etc.

Its a shambles but cest la vie.

Advertisement