Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are we absolutely sure that sticker means enabled though? Has someone in the know confirmed? There's an estate in Douglas with fibre enabled homes and no sticker on the nearest cabinet, unless they're served by a different cabinet. Maybe they haven't got around to stickering yet.

which estate is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    forget about stickers does not apply. on the older cabinet it will have a number and when engineer calls he will have a list of lines and the cabinet they are linked to but when he opens the cabinet there is no gurantee the patching was done correctly so then then have to chase line.

So if you have a vdsl2 cabinet near you look for a number on the older cabinet and make a note of it. Ring eircom and quote cabinet etc.

Its a shambles but cest la vie.

Ring them when the area is enabled, I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

I'm not that bothered this area want originally going to be done until the end of the year. If it's done by mid year, that's still very good going.

As rollouts go, this is relatively impressive.

They could do with maybe updating their databases a bit more regularly though as both the sales staff and the customers are often quite out of the loop.

Irish addresses don't really help matters as they're ridiculously vague in a lot of cases.

It would be handier if any landline number could be checked on some kind of neutral website that was run by eircom Wholesale instead of having to rely on the retail websites and the other ISPs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gordonnet wrote: »
    which estate is that ?

I think it was Wainsfort/Delford Drive, there's no sticker info in the map either. I'd have to check and I don't know when I'll be around that direction again. Of course I may be entirely wrong and need my glasses prescription reviewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Post for vodafone Darren,
    Is there any point in asking for a responce to your offer (below), post taken of the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=259 thread,
    Heya,
    Could you drop me over an email to ecare_ie@vodafone.com, with a link to this thread and as much detail as you can (order number, landline number etc, just a way to find the order.)

We'll get the team to see why it's not working out for you.

Thanks,

I am really getting fed up waiting on a promised responce from this forum and from talking to vodafone reps online about how my order is supposedly advancing.
    many thanks,

apophis :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

What estate are you in? I'm in Rushbrooke Links which has 2 'old' cabinets (one near entrance, one further in). The first cabinet has a fibre cabinet next to it; the other is still on its own. I'm nearer the solo one. :(

Hey Padraig, I'm over in Whitepoint Moorings. I had a closer look at the green box just outside the estate and it's bigger than I thought, plus has power symbols on it, so looks like that's something the ESB uses :/

I've had a look at the map in this forum for recognised cabinets and all of them are around us, but not near enough to us... unless someone hasn't found and mapped any that may possibly exist a little closer. I did take a walk yesterday but couldn't find anything. I may be SOL then :(

They all have a warning about mains power or something to that effect.

The new VDSL cabinets are absolutely identical though. They're only installing one model.

Well, I don't have any batteries for my camera, but luckily the cabinet can be seen on Google Earth. It's bigger than the cabinets I've seen in the mapping thread, and obviously if it is an Eircom cabinet the new VDSL one has not been installed yet - if it ever will be. But, I've taken screenshots in Google Earth, so maybe someone can identify it -

cabinet.jpg

cabinet2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

That would be a ESB distribution cab.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

I think that's an ESB cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Yes, I saw that. The mapping done so far shows that all the nearest cabinets are around my area, not in or near. The problem with our cables is that they're underground so I have no fricking clue where they're going.

That's actually an ESB substation serving a whole housing estate.

The eircom cabinet's are a *LOT* smaller than that.

To put them into a household / office context, they're about the size of a filing cabinet unit, only a bit fatter and not quite so deep and a little shorter.

They wouldn't take up more space than an old-style An Post 'pillar box'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

allen175 wrote: »

See the cab on the left in that thread of the opening post. I have two of them close enough to me but none of the one on the right side that close by. Is it distance from the cabs on the left side in the op of that thread? Thanks

That's actually an ESB substation serving a whole housing estate.

The eircom cabinet's are a *LOT* smaller than that.

To put them into a household / office context, they're about the size of a filing cabinet unit, only a bit fatter and not quite so deep and a little shorter.

They wouldn't take up more space than an old-style An Post 'pillar box'.

Oh I know, I was just taking the chance. I did say several times that the cabinet looked much bigger than the Eircom ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

While we're on the subject of cabinet identification, anyone know what this does? I think I saw an eircom van at it years ago, but I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭phog

While we're on the subject of cabinet identification, anyone know what this does? I think I saw an eircom van at it years ago, but I could be mistaken.

Looks like an eircom grey cabinet for their copper cables. It could also be a UPC co-ax cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Hi lads , I have pics of the cabs in rushbrooke links in Cobh. Do I post them here or on a different thread . Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

riggerman wrote: »
    Hi lads , I have pics of the cabs in rushbrooke links in Cobh. Do I post them here or on a different thread . Thanks in advance

Probably in this thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is this a VDSL cabinet? I'm nearly sure another cab was built right next to it which can't be seen in this pic due to its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is this a VDSL cabinet? I'm nearly sure another cab was built right next to it which can't be seen in this pic due to its age.

That's the copper cab, if the new one is same colour, similar height but slimmer it probably the fibre cab

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

phog wrote: »
    That's the copper cab, if the new one is same colour, similar height but slimmer it probably the fibre cab

Yeah, I'm nearly sure there's one right next to it looks very similar. Will check tomorrow to be sure. That's around 200m from my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's these for anyone who isn't sure. None are on street view as that hasn't updated since 2009 I think.

dife.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

this is a repeat call has anyone got connected from magnet and if so what is there fttc router like?

Looks like an eircom grey cabinet for their copper cables. It could also be a UPC co-ax cab.

That looks like a very old eircom cabinet. There's a phone pole behind it.

The old ones looked a bit 'homebrew'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

riggerman wrote: »

Our mapping thread really needs to have those pics, we really need TO confirm whether it is there is or not...

Instructions on what to do are here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Nothing in Churchfield, Cork for Fibre yet, even though it was promised for Easter. I remember eating my eggs a good while back :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There are definitely no UPC cabs out in that part of north Co. Dublin or indeed in any rural area in Ireland. It's an older-style eircom copper cabinet, as originally used by the P&T. Eircom are replacing all those to be located alongside VDSL, to the modern green cabinets with the chevrons across the two doors.

Advertisement