Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Understood, Im definitely about 700 m away and they accepted the order, I also checked with one of the eircom guys on the eircom forum and he confirmed I was on that cab and that it has been commissioned.......

In that case it'll still be better than ADSL. You won't get 50 though.

I'm posting on a smartphone so it's a little messy to paste links.
    However, if you Google VDSL2 speed distance graph in image search you'll get a few ideas of how it might work over 700m.

Just bear in mind that they're only roughly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

There's no VDSL2 at the exchange anywhere as far as I'm aware, so you'll be connected...

I think he thinks the copper cab is his "local exchange".

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Got a call earlier on from Eircom. The rolestown cabinet is enabled now and they are giving me eFibre even though they say my line is 1.3 km long. At last. If they limit that cabinet to 1km they would only cover about 20 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They could potentially do away with a lot of long runs of copper wiring, but the local exchanges are still pretty useful locations.

With fibre, the lines all still have to come back to a point anyway and the more fibre that rolls out the more optical equipment you're going to need in those exchanges.

The value of the buildings is negligible as they're not very big and they're often located in not the most sought-after locations. The property boom / mad apartment building spree is also long, long over now too.

There are a few exceptions in Dublin, Cork etc where the buildings are way bigger than the exchange equipment will ever be because they were designed for ancient electromechanical exchanges.

Many of the big buildings are also not in very sought-after locations and typically contain a lot more than an exchange i.e offices, engineering stores, call centres for various operator services etc etc.

Ireland also skipped a generation of technology and in a lot of outlying areas we went straight from operators plugging cables into boards to fully digital exchanges. So, the buildings are quite small / compact as the digital exchanges (even in the 80s) were relatively neat compared to what went before them.
    So, in outlying areas there isn't really a whole lot of space in those exchange buildings and they certainly wouldn't be worth selling off.

A good % of 'exchanges' are basically cabinets anyway. Some of the newer small ones have no building at all. They're just street cabs, much like the VDSL gear, just bulkier.

There is one which is in a sought after area in Limerick and is an exchange only building

https://maps.google.com/?ll=52.628963,-8.651375&spn=0.017583,0.052314&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.628963,-8.651375&panoid=nV1a4ZXGmN8r7ShrwZrLfw&cbp=12,244.6,,0,-1.77

And from the back:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=52.628322,-8.651605&spn=0.017583,0.052314&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.628388,-8.651515&panoid=a3QCPziCeF_L5dJ-ERwwlw&cbp=12,344.9,,1,-1.83
    :D

I'm not really seeing how that would be sought after in 2013.

That looks like a suburban housing estate with lots of space.

There's a property market collapse and the likelihood of a developer wanting to redevelop a 1960s exchange building in a location like that is very, very low.

The only ones I could think of that might be viable prospects would be city centre locations.

Dublin has a couple of big buildings that originally housed international gateway exchanges and tandem nodes that mostly only connect to other exchanges. Most of their functions could easily be moved to suburban locations like City West while the local exchange bits would only occupy a fraction of the original building.

They'd need to be on really really valuable land before that would be justifiable.

In general, there's not very much likelihood of significant sales of any of them other than.

Also considering there's so much formerly prime property sitting in NAMA, any opportunities to dispose of building assets disappeared in 2008 when the market collapsed.

In 2002-2007 they were keen to pay any amount of money to build anything really. Look at the various deals done around Dublin 4, albeit in large hotel and commercial sites like Irish Glass.

Those days are never coming back. So I think the exchange buildings will be nice, spacious data centres for many years to come.

• Advertisement

Just got onto eircom as our area seems to have gone live, but there's no service in our street as per usual.

Their sales line's really over-pushy. I just wanted information and I don't want to come back to eircom for ADSL2+ when I have it with Smart and it's pretty decent getting as fast as the line will take (about 13-14mbit/s) and unlimited Ireland and UK calls + 30 mins of local calls for €39.95/month.

The guy wouldn't stop pitching me ADSL2+ products that are way more expensive than what I have.

I'm going to check out the options with UPC again as there were some wiring works going on around here recently so maybe it's available.

I'm certainly very glad I didn't take up their 'offer' of switching back to ADSL2+ with them and waiting for a 'free upgrade' to fibre which might never have arrived.

I've a strange feeling our lines are fed directly from an underground distribution point of some sort rather than from a cabinet and nothing was installed around here although there are plenty of cabinets within about 600+ meters of the place.

There are 8 eircom manhole covers outside the property. Like a big underground junction of some sort, and I would assume that's where the line comes up from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Power cables installed at the cab near me,just waiting on somebody from the ESB to do the final connection and switch the damn thing on.It's been sitting there teasing me for about 6 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

zerks wrote: »
    Power cables installed at the cab near me,just waiting on somebody from the ESB to do the final connection and switch the damn thing on.It's been sitting there teasing me for about 6 weeks now.
    don't hold your breath I am in a live area looking at a cab for months and it is still not active :mad:

I heard there are trial ones that went in in 2008 that were never activated!!

That's what has me thinking upc might be a better bet.

I'm going to have a chat and see if we could get cable from the street into the house.

Our house was never cabled as the previous occupant of a neighbouring house was one of those old fashioned types who though RTE 1 was more than sufficient for herself and the rest of the street she was blocking!

80s Ireland... Wouldn't like to have lived in it as an adult!

red_bairn wrote: »
    I think he thinks the copper cab is his "local exchange".

It could be, the are some cabinet based exchanges around. They're just a large white cabinet and the DSLAM for ADSL2+ is usually another white cabinet located next to it.

The original fixed line network equipment became very compact in recent years too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

It could be, the are some cabinet based exchanges around. They're just a large white cabinet and the DSLAM for ADSL2+ is usually another white cabinet located next to it.

The original fixed line network equipment became very compact in recent years too.
    Here as an example - Barntown Exchange outside Wexford town.

257871.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ferpur wrote: »
    don't hold your breath I am in a live area looking at a cab for months and it is still not active :mad:

The KN guys are back at it today,here's hoping.

Eircom said that they have certain cabs as priority to have enabled in town so fingers crossed it'll be sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Eircom said that they have certain cabs as priority to have enabled in town so fingers crossed it'll be sooner rather than later.

So, they are around the Stameen / Five Oaks area today?

Probably ones near journalists and politicians houses hehe

Weird, on the address checker, one house on our entire street shows up.

It makes no sense as it's a single house in the middle of a small development and none of the other addresses in the street show up at all!

I assume it's a database error.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

It makes no sense as it's a single house in the middle of a small development and none of the other addresses in the street show up at all!

that would be an eircom error quelle surprise:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Hi there,

I have seen the exact same in an estate in Balbriggan, even a month ago it was appearing as if one house could get it. The estate does not even have a cabinet yet.

Seems as though a good few cabs were released today in Balbriggan. Just ordered. I know of a few others who have as well. Still hoping my cable length is 250 metres instead of 1000 metres I suspect it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Can anyone identify these cabinets?

J98c4u5.jpg
    Eircom line checker says you can get Fibre in the area but its miles from the main Fibre area (Castlebar)

I remember when these cabs were installed, around 4 years ago, they then dug a trench down to the local school about 200 meters away.....

The eircom map also says fibre is available here......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Can anyone identify these cabinets?

They look like an "exchange in a cab"

bealtine wrote: »
    They look like an "exchange in a cab"

Would these be on a fibre backbone?

• Advertisement

Would these be on a fibre backbone?

sometimes...

Where are they and I can see if I can dig up some info

sometimes...

Where are they and I can see if I can dig up some info

53.890732,-9.409758

Glenisland, Castlebar

Eircom Fibre checker has it listed as CASHEL GLENISLAND, CASTLEBAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

that's an Alcatel E10 RSU.... basically an exchange, not NGA

53.890732,-9.409758

Glenisland, Castlebar

Eircom Fibre checker has it listed as CASHEL GLENISLAND, CASTLEBAR

Well that "exchange" is not enabled for DSL is not part of the Castlebar exchange area and seems very unlikely to be in the VDSL program:(

Where did you check it?

arctan wrote: »
    that's an Alcatel E10 RSU.... basically an exchange, not NGA

Thanks,

I was thinking they didnt pull fibre out that far.

Just strange how the area is covered in the Eircom Fibre map and the "exchange" is listed on their line checker for Fibre.

Well that "exchange" is not enabled for DSL is not part of the Castlebar exchange area and seems very unlikely to be in the VDSL program:(

Where did you check it?

Checked here https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

Choose Mayo, Castlebar, Glenisland and it comes up

Thanks,

I was thinking they didnt pull fibre out that far.

Just strange how the area is covered in the Eircom Fibre map and the "exchange" is listed on their line checker for Fibre.

that equipment would be fed by fibre

Checked here https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

Choose Mayo, Castlebar, Glenisland and it comes up

Well unless that RSU is to be incorporated into the Castlebar area as the map suggests which is entirely possible you'd better be on the lookout for the new green cabinets:) If you find one please map it...

A lot of "exchange in a box" installations are supposed to be retired for VDSL anyway.

arctan wrote: »
    that equipment would be fed by fibre

well the RSU in my old place was supposed to be fibre fed but in the end it wasn't. I suppose it depends on lots of variables...

• Advertisement

majority are fibre or wireless link fed... co-ax links are pretty much gone now, that particular E-10 would be fed by fibre

Advertisement