Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Checked here https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

Choose Mayo, Castlebar, Glenisland and it comes up

There isn't a hope in hell that fibre will provided out that far in the next 50 years. Its 10 miles from Castlebar. They'll be doing very well to get the town fibred in the next 3 years. This is Eircom we're talking about. It has taken them 20 yrs+ to get this far. And they're still looking for redundancies:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

there wouldn't be cabinets fed off that RSU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

arctan wrote: »
    majority are fibre or wireless link fed... co-ax links are pretty much gone now, that particular E-10 would be fed by fibre

This is just up the road from it.....

http://goo.gl/maps/f0OFg

I am guessing its wireless linked

I stand corrected, that looks like the backhaul for it

I'd be interested in seeing if it's fibre link from the Radio site to the RSU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

Perhaps it has both?

Fibre as the main link, with a microwave antenna up as a backup ?

Perhaps it has both?

Fibre as the main link, with a microwave antenna up as a backup ?

Both RTE and UPC have masts on the same site not far from there. And there's also a telco mast nearby. So IMO it could apply to any of them.

Both RTE and UPC have masts on the same site not far from there. And there's also a telco mast nearby. So IMO it could apply to any of them.

Are you from the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are you from the area?
    It's ON an eircom pole that's used for carrying telephone cables. Who else would use an eircom pole carrying services but eircom themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Eircom has a fault:

Processing of new efibre requests failing due to problem on R6 Platform - since yesterday

• Advertisement

What's R6?

It's ON an eircom pole that's used for carrying telephone cables. Who else would use an eircom pole carrying services but eircom themselves?

What? I wasnt questioning that.

I just wanted to know if the above poster was from that geographical area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cirrus55

Seems to be a bit of life in the Wellington Road Exchange in Cork. My sister has been trying the Efibre Checker for weeeks only to be told it was not yet enabled in her estate. Lo and behold the website told her 'success' today and she was able to put through an order for a 50Mb upgrade at 55euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Eircom came today to install the new filter and modem.
    on the letterkenny exchange, thorn road cabinet. about 100 metres from the cabinet 200 as the line goes.

was getting 5meg/512k

2769407860.png

Pinging loadbalancer.boards.ie [89.234.66.108] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.108:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

Pinging home.eircom.net [86.43.38.8] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 86.43.38.8:
    Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 25ms

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.90] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.246.90: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=57
    Reply from 212.58.246.90: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.90:
    Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 37ms

My ping time used to be 14ms to eircom and around 25 to bbc.co.uk hopefully that will come down in time.

Downloaded a linux distro from heanet 1.2G topped out at about 4.8mb/s

Are you from the area?

No, but I know the area pretty well. Regularly drive out that way.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm in Donegal town, and was told this evening that this town is supposedly to go live this November (ahead of the 2014 showing up on the Eircom page).

I'm about 600m from this cabinet, though I dunno if they upgrade inside existing cab, or build a new one beside it? Funny it's not on the "main" road, but going up a cúl de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Not to be crying over my speed but has anyone recieved over 50mb yet cause im gettin bout 48mb. Line can hold 72mb. Im wif digiweb so they r sending 70mb but getting 50mb. Every other speedtest on here has all been less than 50mb. So wats the story here, is it because its still new or something. Or can the cabs even give more than 50mb???

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I'm 400m from the exchange and 200m from two cabinets that aren't commissioned yet in a live area (Castlebar). I really hope Eircom don't just abandon the live exchanges with only 40% of the cabs turned on until they can get all the other towns live just so they can say "Live in blahblah towns around the country"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

GIMickey wrote: »
    Not to be crying over my speed but has anyone recieved over 50mb yet cause im gettin bout 48mb. Line can hold 72mb. Im wif digiweb so they r sending 70mb but getting 50mb. Every other speedtest on here has all been less than 50mb. So wats the story here, is it because its still new or something. Or can the cabs even give more than 50mb???

From the Speedtest thread

2760183464.png
    2744283004.png

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    I'm 400m from the exchange and 200m from two cabinets that aren't commissioned yet in a live area (Castlebar). I really hope Eircom don't just abandon the live exchanges with only 40% of the cabs turned on until they can get all the other towns live just so they can say "Live in blahblah towns around the country"

Who told you the cabs were not commissioned?

Where in castlebar are you?

• Advertisement

That explains that then lol.

But is there a reason why almost everyone is getting less than 50mb.

My mothers house is 18m from the a new cab, she is also getting 50mb from vodafone, even tho they are sending 70mb.

That explains that then lol.

But is there a reason why almost everyone is getting less than 50mb.

My mothers house is 18m from the a new cab, she is also getting 50mb from vodafone, even tho they are sending 70mb.

You should probably ask your ISP to check it out as they might have not set the correct profile?

Also, you could be a lot more than 18 meters of wire from the cabinet. The routing of the cables don't necessarily follow the most direct route to your house. They could go around a street and come back or something like that.

yea ill get on too them.

And its an overhead cable that brings the connection in. bout 22m

yea ill get on too them.

And its an overhead cable that brings the connection in. bout 22m

it still could be doing a weird underground route from the cabinet to the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Rang eircom about efibre as my next door neighbour told me he got it yesterday and the neighbour two doors up got it last week. They say it's not available to me. When I queried it he said that my next door neighbour could be connected to a different exchange. I know nothing about these things ... is that possible/likely?

Myksyk wrote: »
    Rang eircom about efibre as my next door neighbour told me he got it yesterday and the neighbour two doors up got it last week. They say it's not available to me. When I queried it he said that my next door neighbour could be connected to a different exchange. I know nothing about these things ... is that possible/likely?

You could be on the same exchange and just on different cabinets. One cabinet might be enabled, the other might still be waiting to be commissioned.

Remember, with this FTTC stuff, your connection goes to the cabinet, not to the exchange directly. So, the fact that the exchange area has been enabled for FTTC doesn't mean that every cabinet's active immediately. Physically installing them is the easy bit, they then have to be connected to an electrical supply and to the network and commissioned before they can actually connect to customers' lines. Even in areas that are mapped as live, there could be quite a few cabinets to be switched on or even some extra ones to be installed.

In cities, there can be quite a lot of exchanges and their boundaries can be a little random. Your house could just be on the border between two exchanges. That happens quite a lot in bigger urban areas.

If the first few digits of your phone number are different from your neighbour, it might indicate that you're on different exchanges. However, a lot of exchanges have several different number ranges, so it's not always clear anymore.

The borders between exchanges have nothing to do with the names of streets, suburban areas or anything like that. They'd have just come about due to practical requirements when the network was evolving over the decades.

I think you can even get a bit of crossover where maybe a long-established exchange might be serving older properties and then maybe a new one was added more recently might be serving newer lines in the same area.

A lot of these types of networks aren't really planned (especially in older areas / cores of towns and cities), rather they evolve as needs grow, so the wiring sometimes doesn't make as much sense as you'd hope.

---

I'd say if you want actual information, your best bet might be to have a word with an eircom crew if you happen to see one working in the area. They *might* be able to tell you when you can expect to be connected.

The helpline really only knows as much as is in the database, so if you're looking it up on the website you probably have as much information as the sales people have at the call centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

i am in the same position. very frustrating. next door neighbour can get it , and most of the estate bit not me. Address wont pass on the line checker. Was with Smart for years , switched back to eircom in April , maybe that has something to do with it?
    Couldnt switch to Sky either.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

What if you wanted to move to a closer cabinet? Would that be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

im only about 250m from the one in my estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I have got eFibre installed. The guy two doors down is getting it.
    The guy in the house between us has been told he can't get it.
    Ita a shambles.
    We are both with Eircom. He is with Vodafone. Thy might have something to do with it.

Advertisement