Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

GIMickey wrote: »
    Not to be crying over my speed but has anyone recieved over 50mb yet cause im gettin bout 48mb. Line can hold 72mb. Im wif digiweb so they r sending 70mb but getting 50mb. Every other speedtest on here has all been less than 50mb. So wats the story here, is it because its still new or something. Or can the cabs even give more than 50mb???
    I'm getting an average of 45-47 down and 12-13 up. It's still bedding in I'd say. My Attainable Net Data Rate is 27.222 Mbps up and 102.736 Mbps down, with SNR Margin of 13.8 dB up and 18.4 dB down. The Total Attenuation is 11.3 dB up and 12.4 dB down. But I'm bu**ered if I know what those figures mean though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

PeadarB wrote: »
    I'm getting an average of 45-47 down and 12-13 up. It's still bedding in I'd say. My Attainable Net Data Rate is 27.222 Mbps up and 102.736 Mbps down, with SNR Margin of 13.8 dB up and 18.4 dB down. The Total Attenuation is 11.3 dB up and 12.4 dB down. But I'm bu**ered if I know what those figures mean though :rolleyes:

You're getting just under 50% of what your line can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

PeadarB wrote: »

Out of interest; how far are you from your cab?

_John C wrote: »
    Out of interest; how far are you from your cab?
    About 200 meters. There seems to be a fair amount of noise on the line though.

2771513356.png there now to Galway from Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

any one in frankfield / curragh woods in cork connected yet ?

• Advertisement

How accurate is Eircom's map of when areas are/will be going live? There's a cabinet about halfway between my and my friend's houses but on Eircom's map the coverage only goes in one direction, not out towards his. Then closer to his there's another cabinet but it's not even on Eircom's map that it looks like it should be sorted in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Im in a similar situation to u PeadarB, but my line holds 97mb down and 31mb up.

2769964900.png

Test is a day old coz everyone in my house is streaming now

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just so you know guys, attainables are estimations, and often generous. They tend to drop as sync speeds rise so you would probably max out around 70 before vectoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got Eircom 70 mb Fibre installed yesterday here in Castlebar, now I cannot put up a speedtest as I am at work, but was about 48 mb/s, does the line need time to bed in, as i am only getting download speeds of about 3-4 megs?

Xenji wrote: »
    Got Eircom 70 mb Fibre installed yesterday here in Castlebar, now I cannot put up a speedtest as I am at work, but was about 48 mb/s, does the line need time to bed in, as i am only getting download speeds of about 3-4 megs?

If ur only getting 48mb downgrade to the 50mb package nd save urself a 10er lol.

Once i upgraded, i got the new speed instantly. But this fibre can be slow SOMETIMES in my opinion, web browsing and streaming, maybe its just me but my speedtests are ALWAYS 44-47mb so cant see y urs are only 3-4mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

Just spotted a KN guy pushing orange tubing into the ground in Bettystown village outside O'Donovans shop this afternoon. This is apparently the tube that holds the fibre cable (although I'm open for correction there). Asked the guy if it was indeed for eFibre and when would it be ready for activation in the area....he confirmed it was for efibre and said it would be activated in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

GIMickey wrote: »
    If ur only getting 48mb downgrade to the 50mb package nd save urself a 10er lol.

Once i upgraded, i got the new speed instantly. But this fibre can be slow SOMETIMES in my opinion, web browsing and streaming, maybe its just me but my speedtests are ALWAYS 44-47mb so cant see y urs are only 3-4mb.

My speedtests are always around 48mbps, but when I download a file I am only getting around 3.5 mb, is this just as fast as it goes, or should I be getting more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

My speedtests are always around 48mbps, but when I download a file I am only getting around 3.5 mb, is this just as fast as it goes, or should I be getting more?

I was downloading game files on Steam, while in Korea at 12MBps on a 100/100 connection. I'd say 4-6 would be right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

If you divide the speedtest by 8 it should give you the max DL speed you should achieve, but it can vary from time to time. so if your speedtest result is 48mb, max in the download speed reading would be 6mb/s.

allen175 wrote: »
    If you divide the speedtest by 8 it should give you the max DL speed you should achieve, but it can vary from time to time. so if your speedtest result is 48mb, max in the download speed reading would be 6mb/s.

It would depend if others are downloading in the household at the same time this could affect the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

downloads are in megabytes per second network speeds are usually in megabits per second.

There are 8 bits in each byte.

Because the notation is similar and people often talk about 'megs' etc it can all become rather confused.

I've even seen ISPs quote speeds in MB which is completely pointless. you might as well write your car speed in kg!

Use of the correct units makes a big difference :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Use of the correct units makes a big difference :)

Mb Vs MB always annoys me. So many people get it completely wrong, especially in the media.

You also have to remember, download speeds depend heavily on the upload speed of the server you are downloading from and the current load on that server.

LFCFan wrote: »
    Mb Vs MB always annoys me. So many people get it completely wrong, especially in the media.

You also have to remember, download speeds depend heavily on the upload speed of the server you are downloading from and the current load on that server.

It's not even just the MB vs Mb that they get wrong, but a lot of the time they actually quote speeds just in Megabytes, which would actually refer to the data allowance per month.
    For example, a "24 megabyte" service would be pretty pathetic and about enough to browse maybe 20 static web pages :D

Where as an uncapped "24 Mbit/s" service would be pretty reasonable.

I've even seen it spelled as "Megabites", which I assume is some kind of sandwich.

It would probably be more useful if browsers and other clients that are handling downloads gave a speed in Mbit/s rather than MB/s too as it would at least stop people thinking their line was faulty.

LFCFan wrote: »

Nice to know! I've corrected my post where I wrote Mbps rather than MBps :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Road dug up and reinstated near my place,still no sign from anyone regarding switch on.Must give VF a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Any interest in starting a thread to list what speeds people are getting?

We could list the info from the routers and get feed back if the connection is under performing......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

zerks wrote: »
    Road dug up and reinstated near my place,still no sign from anyone regarding switch on.Must give VF a buzz.

Deff give them a buzz!
    Got my VF up to 8 upgraded to up to 24 today. All for €32 instead of €48 and no download limit as well. Had 300GB before. She also said as soon as Fiber is available (pretty soon, somewhere in July, according to eircom fellas doing the work) in my area they will upgrade me for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

A girl knocked on the door last night and offered me 50meg guaranteed fiber. She said it would be turned on in three days and I didn't need any new connections in the house just a new modem..

I rang Vodaphone to see if they had sales staff in Rush. He couldn't answer that but said fiber wouldn't be available to me for a few months and I should always ring any company to make sure the house caller is not bogus..

So be careful if you get some fool selling you a service thats not available yet and then you have all the hassle of trying to cancel, or maybe they are up to no good...

To find your speed just check to c wat ur modem is syncing at. If your modem is syncing at 50 meg then downgrade coz u wont get anymore than that and u will save a 10er per month.

if ur getting 48meg on speedtests then as the other guys said ur max DL speed wud be 6MBps or 0ver 6000 KB depending on the server.

to find the modem dsl line sync page, log in to ur modem and it should be under dsl settings or internet (ever modem has differnet settings)

2774213606.png

My friend's speedtest on a new eFibre upgrade today. Note it was done wirelessly and we were on Skype at the time.

He is on 35Mb/s at the moment but they will improve over the days. I should be on to him again tomorrow to try Remote Desktop Connection on his wifes laptop so I can gather some results and play around with things. :D

He's about 200-300m from the cabinet. It took 18+mins to do the whole installation. He said they were in a rush and weren't keen to stay for a chat and a cuppa. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

I have the didn't rush off too fast and f**k up the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Got the 70Mb package but only getting the results below - do I need to contact Eircom, as I was hoping for 20mb upload? The modem itself says the line is capable of 20mpbs up.

2775079822.png

Nate

Got the 70Mb package but only getting the results below - do I need to contact Eircom, as I was hoping for 20mb upload? The modem itself says the line is capable of 20mpbs up.

2775079822.png

Nate
    How far are you from your cab. I've noticed a lot of noise on my line though I'm only 200 meters from the cab. There is a lot of slack in the wiring in the attic that might be causing the problem. It was there from the time I discontinued ISDN many years ago and from the time PhoneWatch was set up. The tech guy didn't have to install a new terminal unit as he said the PhoneWatch one was perfect for the efibre connection. Like you I opted for the 70Mb package but I am getting a stable average of 48/14 which is Ok I guess.

• Advertisement

as long as the internal wiring is connected to the filtered side of the NTU (terminals on the back of the faceplate) the slack in your attic shouldn't be making any difference.

the line itself should be going straight to the NTU though and not via some really convoluted run of wiring.

phone watch wiring go from the NTU filter to the alarm, then back to the NTU again to provide voice service from the other sockets.

they normally use CAT5 cable running the line in on one pair, back out filtered on another pair then back from the alarm on a third pair. your extension wiring might be on the fourth pair back out to your sockets.

I wouldn't suggest fiddling with it as it can be fairly messily complex.

Advertisement