Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Yes you have been paying Eircom for the past 40 years, but you have received the service over that period - did you not?

Yes we have been paying for 40 years, rates which included a profit for Eircom to invest and upgrade the entire network, not just people in towns and cities.....

Why dont Eircom increase the cost of packages in areas with 10+ MB by a suitable amount so as to meet the cost of upgrading every area to at least 10mb over the next year or so?
    If an area then just cannot be upgraded due to being in a very remote area, they should be offered packages at half the price to compensate them for Eircom not bothering to upgrade the existing lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Yes we have been paying for 40 years, rates which included a profit for Eircom to invest and upgrade the entire network, not just people in towns and cities.....

Why dont Eircom increase the cost of packages in areas with 10+ MB by a suitable amount so as to meet the cost of upgrading every area to at least 10mb over the next year or so?
    If an area then just cannot be upgraded due to being in a very remote area, they should be offered packages at half the price to compensate them for Eircom not bothering to upgrade the existing lines.

That'll go down well:)

cabledude wrote: »
    That'll go down well:)

:) id have no objection, We can only dream of having a service of 10mb, christ give us even a stable 3mb and i'd be a happy man.

:) id have no objection, We can only dream of having a service of 10mb, christ give us even a stable 3mb and i'd be a happy man.

Same as that. I'm pulling my hair out at the moment. I've started a separate thread as I'm starting an online course in September and the first option I have at the moment is to get a bill pay package with O2 with a 15Gb per month or if I wanted an unlimited cap I'd have to pay 80 per month for satellite. My second option is to get broadband in my in laws house and do my course.

Its a joke. In this day and age every house within 5KM of an exchange should have 3MB minimum. Irrespective of how many homes are in the exchange. If you are paying line rental in rural Cork, you should have the same products available to you as a person living in Urban Limerick or Waterford.

Why don't the Government use all the money they are pumping into these NBS and RBS scheme to enable Eircom to upgrade the 200 or so exchanges that are still relying on dial up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Same as that. I'm pulling my hair out at the moment. I've started a separate thread as I'm starting an online course in September and the first option I have at the moment is to get a bill pay package with O2 with a 15Gb per month or if I wanted an unlimited cap I'd have to pay 80 per month for satellite. My second option is to get broadband in my in laws house and do my course.

Its a joke. In this day and age every house within 5KM of an exchange should have 3MB minimum. Irrespective of how many homes are in the exchange. If you are paying line rental in rural Cork, you should have the same products available to you as a person living in Urban Limerick or Waterford.

Why don't the Government use all the money they are pumping into these NBS and RBS scheme to enable Eircom to upgrade the 200 or so exchanges that are still relying on dial up?

If your 5KM from an exchange there is no way they could guarantee a stable 3Mb connection. It's just too far.

• Advertisement

Ya totally agree they are wasting their time offering mobile broadband through the NBS, would allow for the completion of lines and the opening up competition.
    If your 5KM from an exchange there is no way they could guarantee a stable 3Mb connection. It's just too far.

We live about 4 km from the local exchange in the village, if it is ever enabled what kind of speeds would you expect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

at 4km you should get near enough 3mbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    at 4.0km you should get

5mb down
    512k up.

here are the stats of one of those lines ,
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 5120 kbps 512 kbps
    Line Attenuation 52.0 db 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 6.9 db 15.0 db

i have a number of phone lines doing this at the moment.

3mbit max in a rural non 'ngb' area.

Within 5KM....

• Advertisement

That would be great but it doesn't particularly matter anyway, Eircom say they have no current plans to upgrade the exchange.

That would be great but it doesn't particularly matter anyway, Eircom say they have no current plans to upgrade the exchange.

Would an organised political campaign help in any way, shape or form? If so I'd be up for getting involved.

Would an organised political campaign help in any way, shape or form? If so I'd be up for getting involved.
    Ya id be up for that too but in all honesty it probably wouldn't make any difference, they worst thing the government did was to privatise Eircom, Eircom is now a private company and has no obligation to provide Broadband in rural areas of the country.

Ya id be up for that too but in all honesty it probably wouldn't make any difference, they worst thing the government did was to privatise Eircom, Eircom is now a private company and has no obligation to provide Broadband in rural areas of the country.

People on one hand would have to be willing to say to Eircom : If you do not have our local exchange upgraded to minimum 3 Mbps we will cancel our phone lines completely and move to mobile voice and data.

Eircom seem to the basing the business case for upgrading an exchange on capital outlay return rate within 5 years. If the money is not made back within 5 years upgrade does not go ahead.

If people were to 'encourage' Eircom to change mindset from a rate of return basis to a retention of customers, perhaps these 200 odd exchanges might get upgraded. If you do not upgrade the local exchange you may as well disassemble it as it will be dormant.

I totally agree with you regarding the privatisation. Madness.......

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jolsen

Personally I think people need to forget about hoping Eircom will upgrade anything. Eircom are broke and can't be relied on for anything.

The ESB should be rolling out nationwide FTTC/FTTH, they already have some dark fibre in place so it's not asking anything more of them that they can't manage. The state would own the network and with ISP's renting it will eventually pay for itself. I'd be confident 96% of properties in Ireland could have FTTc/FTTH delivered for under 2 billion.

I don't see much value for money in the tax I pay, if there was a proper nationwide broadband plan I wouldn't mind as much the high rates I have to pay. I would at least could see where it's going.

jolsen wrote: »
    Personally I think people need to forget about hoping Eircom will upgrade anything. Eircom are broke and can't be relied on for anything.

The ESB should be rolling out nationwide FTTC/FTTH, they already have some dark fibre in place so it's not asking anything more of them that they can't manage. The state would own the network and with ISP's renting it will eventually pay for itself. I'd be confident 96% of properties in Ireland could have FTTc/FTTH delivered for under 2 billion.

I don't see much value for money in the tax I pay, if there was a proper nationwide broadband plan I wouldn't mind as much the high rates I have to pay. I would at least could see where it's going.

What's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

re: the 260-270 exchanges with no broadband.

One would think there would be plenty of idle adsl1 equipment in some of the larger exchanges now that adsl2+ is in most of the large exchanges and vdsl is on the way also. Not to mention the fact that UPC must be butchering Eircom customer numbers in the cities. Surely Eircom could move some of their older equipment? I'm sure people on dialup would be happy with up to 8/mbit for starters? Is the problem more backhaul?

re: phase 1 completion. Eircom were hoping for September. Not many people have mentioned much work going on recently? Are they on schedule?

re: phase 2 start date? When?

Praetorian wrote: »
    re: the 260-270 exchanges with no broadband.

One would think there would be plenty of idle adsl1 equipment in some of the larger exchanges now that adsl2+ is in most of the large exchanges and vdsl is on the way also. Not to mention the fact that UPC must be butchering Eircom customer numbers in the cities. Surely Eircom could move some of their older equipment? I'm sure people on dialup would be happy with up to 8/mbit for starters? Is the problem more backhaul?

re: phase 1 completion. Eircom were hoping for September. Not many people have mentioned much work going on recently? Are they on schedule?

re: phase 2 start date? When?

The UPC's of the world are never going to get a foothold in rural areas. If the exchanges were to be enabled te following would happen.

1 : Eircom would see a flood of new connections. In my extended family I can count 12 households that choose not to have a landline, simply because they cannot get broadband.

2 : Eircom would be actually making their business more viable going forward. For example what if they were to, as you suggested, utilise ADSL1 equipment in the 270 Dial Up exchanges. How much would this cost? Now being conservative if there were even 100 new connections as a result of these upgrades that would be 27,000 new connections. Paying line rental every month. Add to that the retention of those households who hold off moving to full mobile voice and data services, which I agree is impossible to predict. I do not have a phone line, nor will I have a phone line due to non availability of Broadband. If I could have broadband I would order a phone line tomorrow. This would result in millions of euro every year. How can they not see this? Are Eircom too Urban/City focused. I for one would be happy to pay a little extra for broadband to take account of the extra costs of providing the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Eircom are broke and can make more money quickly for less investment in urban areas then they could do in rural areas.That's it in a nutshell really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What's this?
    Fibre to the Cabinet/Home - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTTX

• Advertisement

Of the 260 non enabled exchanges at least a quarter to a third have fibre so upgrading them is no big deal ( mainly by moving equipment they already own from NGB exchanges).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I'm on Arklow which is NGB enabled I think. I'm approx 2km from exchange as far as I know.

A couple of years back I was able to get 3mb (pre NGB)ithat has been reducing gradually.
    I now barely get 1.5mb.

Eircom tell me this is due to distance from exchange so speed is downgraded to make connection stable blah blah but I used to be able get a stable 3mb prior to them making these downgrades and enabling NGB.

Are they talking through their hole?

I'm on Arklow which is NGB enabled I think. I'm approx 2km from exchange as far as I know.

A couple of years back I was able to get 3mb (pre NGB)ithat has been reducing gradually.
    I now barely get 1.5mb.

Eircom tell me this is due to distance from exchange so speed is downgraded to make connection stable blah blah but I used to be able get a stable 3mb prior to them making these downgrades and enabling NGB.

I'm on Vodafone Mobile Broadband. Just did a speedcheck. 3.89Mbps. But if I repeat test this after noon I'll just get the 1Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm on Vodafone Mobile Broadband. Just did a speedcheck. 3.89Mbps. But if I repeat test this after noon I'll just get the 1Mbps.

Consider yourself lucky that you get 1Mbs...

That's the main problem with mobile midband, you can get any speed from 0kbs(no connection) through to a few Mbps while being in exactly in the same place. That's why midband is not really suitable for broadband delivery and should only be used as a fill-in for real broadband and for road warriors.

I now barely get 1.5mb.

Eircom tell me this is due to distance from exchange.

No. you can actually drop as others speeds rise nearer the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I now barely get 1.5mb.

Eircom tell me this is due to distance from exchange.

No. you can actually drop as others speeds rise nearer the exchange.

So nothing I can do even though I used to able to get 3mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Any further word on when Phase 1 is going live?

So nothing I can do even though I used to able to get 3mb?
    Complain. lots. Your exchange is a possible Vdsl candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Complain. lots. Your exchange is a possible Vdsl candidate.

Is there any way to determine where eircom's cabinets are? I'm just under 2km from the exchange, but I'm convinced that there are cabinet(s) half that distance away. We left eircom just over a year ago, as they were providing half the speed that 3 could. Neighbours are only getting 1.5mb/s since NGB kicked in (A quarter of what 3 give us, which is absolutely abysmal in it's own regard)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Is there any way to determine where eircom's cabinets are? I'm just under 2km from the exchange, but I'm convinced that there are cabinet(s) half that distance away. We left eircom just over a year ago, as they were providing half the speed that 3 could. Neighbours are only getting 1.5mb/s since NGB kicked in (A quarter of what 3 give us, which is absolutely abysmal in it's own regard)

I walked around my estate to find my cabinet. It's about 200 metres away on foot. Maybe 400-500 metres via road. I don't think there is a map available with the cabinets. At least not publicly available. Eircom would have one :)

Advertisement