Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Finally got mine installed. Took less than 30 minutes all in.

Before:
    2727128034.png

After:
    2778573935.png

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 0 hour: 26 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 10.298 Mbps 41.116 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 10.238 Mbps 40.956 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 20.6 dB 20.7 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: 1.7 dBm 14.3 dBm
    Receive Power: -17.0 dBm -1.5 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 18.6 dB 15.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 29.792 Mbps 96.432 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 5.1 27.1 40.2 N/A 14.2 34.4 52.3
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.1 26.4 38.5 N/A 14.1 34.4 52.3
    SNR Margin(dB): 20.9 20.2 20.8 N/A 20.7 20.7 20.7
    Transmit Power(dBm):-12.2 - 2.9 - 0.5 N/A 12.5 7.8 4.8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't know if this was posted before but I rang eircom on Friday to find out the status of my order I placed through a rep. Order isn't in the system but the guy said I was the third person he's dealt with that had the problem and the reps apparently aren't or weren't putting the orders through correctly. So now he's escalated the problem for me.
    So if anyone else ordered through a rep and has had no further contact, this may be why.

This happened to me also. I called Eircom the week before last to check the status of my order but they said there was no order for Broadband.
    I was moving my services from Vodafone and my landline had been moved but not the broadband. They created a new order for broadband at that point.
    Long story short, I was told it would probably be a month from that point before I get eFirbre :(

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

The line checked finally gave in this morning and told me I could get it and then this happened

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056972880

I tried going through the online ordering process just to see what it said and you need to put direct debit details in and that won't be happening but it did say at the bottom of the page:

Please note:
    Our line check showed that the maximum speed your line can currently achieve with eFibre is 25Mbs.

Does anyone know how accurate this is based on experience of what it said and what you are actually getting? 25mbs is pretty poor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

LFCFan wrote: »
    Does anyone know how accurate this is based on experience of what it said and what you are actually getting? 25mbs is pretty poor :(

How far are you from the nearest cabinet? (or the one that you believe is yours)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 walkeith25

I'm used to the full frame as well...06.jpg
    07.jpg

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    How far are you from the nearest cabinet? (or the one that you believe is yours)

based on the route I think the line takes, it looks like around 500 metres but this should be giving me closer to 50Mb/s so if I'm only going to be able to get 25Mb/s I reckon the line must be going all over the place before it gets to me. Probably closer to 1Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1Km is the limit to how far they'll sell VDSL, so is possible that your area is enabled, but you're out of range. AFAIK the mapping is a bit messy.

ED E wrote: »
    1Km is the limit to how far they'll sell VDSL, so is possible that your area is enabled, but you're out of range. AFAIK the mapping is a bit messy.

The line checker says it's available but eFibre sales are telling me it won't be available until the 12th July. I have a feeling that the cab is now enabled but the houses connected to it have not been released to allow orders. Up until now nobody in Eircom could give any details about when I could possibly get it but all of a sudden they have a specific date

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Mickalus wrote: »
    Finally got mine installed. Took less than 30 minutes all in.

Before:
    2727128034.png

After:
    2778573935.png

==================================================
    Have I told you lately how much we all hate you.
    I like the before, slower than 80% and after, faster than 80% bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

ShaunC wrote: »
    Have I told you lately how much we all hate you.
    I like the before, slower than 80% and after, faster than 80% bit.

That's my favourite part too! I've suffered for long enough on that crap 1.7 :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Is eFibre uncongested like the Next Generation Broadband or are we back to contention ratios' again?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

The line checker says it's available but eFibre sales are telling me it won't be available until the 12th July. I have a feeling that the cab is now enabled but the houses connected to it have not been released to allow orders. Up until now nobody in Eircom could give any details about when I could possibly get it but all of a sudden they have a specific date

Are you with Vodafone at the moment?
    It looks like Eircom are refusing people on Vodafone.
    I got eFibre installed and the guy 2 doors down got it installed.
    The guy in between us has been told its not available to him.
    Another guy 4 doors up with Vodafone has been told it is unavailable to him, while his next door neighbour on the other side is with Eircom and has eFibre installed. He said that an Eircom rep told him that if he switched back to Eircom he would have a better chance wink wink sort of conversation.
    The gist was that a lot of vodafone numbers have not been included in the database.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Is eFibre uncongested like the Next Generation Broadband or are we back to contention ratios' again?

Uncongested.

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Are you with Vodafone at the moment?

Nope, I'm with Eircom so that blows that theory out of the water ;)

I had a chat with Digiweb on their online chat client and basically asked how they could charge €80 for the same thing Eircom is charging €50 for and she tried to tell me that Eircom's Unlimited plan isn't unlimited and that it has a cap. I pointed out that I already know there's no usage cap and it is unlimited and she had no answer to that. More lies from ISP's trying to win customers.

I'm still scratching my head as to how Digiweb think they will win customers with their prices, aswell as their set up fee. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Maybe they don't want customers or they think that they have loyal customers that would be willing to pay more for the faster speeds.

Either way it is far too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Best result I've got so far

2779678962.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

TT09 wrote: »
    Best result I've got so far

2779678962.png

stick your stats here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971854 and we get the ball rolling on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I know they are not supposed to do that..... Unfortunately I wasn't on site as planned when the install happened, I would have never let it happen. It seems the eircom, and it was eircom as opposed to KN, just wanted to get in and out.

He did a speed test and it was showing 10 down and said its because of distance to the cab. Neighbour is getting 33 down. They are further away from the cab, they are the end lot on an industrial estate.

I knew something was wrong when I called to check how the install went.

I think this is happening more than it would appear on these forums.
    I would think that most houses have an extension to a bedroom, another to where the computer lives and what about the sneaky one to the Sky+ box?
    Oh, add in no power outlet on the same wall as the primary socket in the hallway.
    I find it worrying that you think you were dealt with by eircom rather than KN, I was stalling the ball until the big push was over and hopefully get an (eircom) installer with the time to have a bit of a think and discuss the options
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I would prefer to have the FTTC done properly to start with rather than trying to deal later with a result that seems less than optimal.
    I'd have gone ape if a technician left leaving me with a 10 download on this efibre scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I think this is happening more than it would appear on these forums.
    I would think that most houses have an extension to a bedroom, another to where the computer lives and what about the sneaky one to the Sky+ box?
    Oh, add in no power outlet on the same wall as the primary socket in the hallway.
    I find it worrying that you think you were dealt with by eircom rather than KN, I was stalling the ball until the big push was over and hopefully get an (eircom) installer with the time to have a bit of a think and discuss the options
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I would prefer to have the FTTC done properly to start with rather than trying to deal later with a result that seems less than optimal.
    I'd have gone ape if a technician left leaving me with a 10 download on this efibre scheme.

100% the first install engineer was Eircom.

When the KN guys came they couldnt understand why he had installed the modem where he did (as I said I was not on site to supervise the install, not that i should have to be!) I know why he installed it there, installing it at the Demarcation point where the line enters the building would require a Cat6 cable to be run to the switch. All he had to do was explain this to the people in the office and they would have called me and I would have ran a cable.

I have done it on other Fibre installs.

As it turns out I called Eircom again today about this site, the line has a lot of noise on it and they took an Imagine line that was used for DSL. This was not supposed to happen, there was a spare Eircom line that was set aside for the VDSL install.

They are sending out an engineer again, hopefully tomorrow to switch lines at the building and the cabinet.

Neighbour is getting around 32 down, this site is getting 23. This site is closer and has a lower line Attenuation but higher SNR Margin.

I want it done correctly from the start. I dont like this "its beter than it was before" attitude

I have to say to be fair to Eircom, they have been very helpful on the phone and have not dismissed anything I have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

100% the first install engineer was Eircom.

When the KN guys came they couldnt understand why he had installed the modem where he did (as I said I was not on site to supervise the install, not that i should have to be!) I know why he installed it there, installing it at the Demarcation point where the line enters the building would require a Cat6 cable to be run to the switch. All he had to do was explain this to the people in the office and they would have called me and I would have ran a cable.

I have done it on other Fibre installs.

As it turns out I called Eircom again today about this site, the line has a lot of noise on it and they took an Imagine line that was used for DSL. This was not supposed to happen, there was a spare Eircom line that was set aside for the VDSL install.

They are sending out an engineer again, hopefully tomorrow to switch lines at the building and the cabinet.

Neighbour is getting around 32 down, this site is getting 23. This site is closer and has a lower line Attenuation but higher SNR Margin.

I want it done correctly from the start. I dont like this "its beter than it was before" attitude

I have to say to be fair to Eircom, they have been very helpful on the phone and have not dismissed anything I have said.
    I hope it works out well for you.
    Please keep us posted.
    I think it will be great interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

when you checked the speeds, was that on the modem or speedtest.net? any idea how the eircom lad checked it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

arctan wrote: »
    when you checked the speeds, was that on the modem or speedtest.net? any idea how the eircom lad checked it?

Both on Modem and speedtest.

The eircom guy had someone so a speed test from their desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I hope it works out well for you.
    Please keep us posted.
    I think it will be great interest.

Can someone please describe the ideal setup scenario? Considering they terminate the line at the entry point to the house, but that is most likely not central to the house and so there most likely will be black spots in wifi coverage?
    I see people talking about running Cat5/6 cable, is that from the router to another wifi only access point that might be more centralised point or Is the intention there to run it to a switch and have all the fixed points running off that(sky box/fixed computers etc) or can you terminate the line where it comes into the house and then run cat5/6 to the vdsl router? (I doubt that can be the case but just double checking).......just trying to figure out an optimal setup prior to install.......
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Both on Modem and speedtest.

The eircom guy had someone so a speed test from their desk.

poor show, I'd have thought he'd have checked with a meter even where the modem was

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Need to have my vdsl modem upstairs in a bedroom where my switch is and where all cables come together.

I want to do this without taking a hit to my speed.

I am planning on using a cat 6 cable to move the main socket upstairs.

I will also be using jelly crimps to join the cables together.

Can anyone see any problem with doing this or anyway to optimize the extension to limit speed loss.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-WIRE-TELEPHONE-JELLY-CRIMPS-TELECOM-CONNECTOR-x-10-/350209717124

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Cork981 wrote: »
    Need to have my vdsl modem upstairs in a bedroom where my switch is and where all cables come together.

I want to do this without taking a hit to my speed.

I am planning on using a cat 6 cable to move the main socket upstairs.

I will also be using jelly crimps to join the cables together.

Can anyone see any problem with doing this or anyway to optimize the extension to limit speed loss.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-WIRE-TELEPHONE-JELLY-CRIMPS-TELECOM-CONNECTOR-x-10-/350209717124

@ctlsleh and Cork981

I think there was a discussion several weeks ago in this thread which stated that eircom will run cat- 6 cable free of charge as part of the eFibre installation so that you can place the router in another part of the house just as both of you want.

There are posts made since 15th by godskitchen and others on the topic of where eircom can locate the NTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

pg17 wrote: »
    @ctlsleh and Cork981

I think there was a discussion several weeks ago in this thread which stated that eircom will run cat- 6 cable free of charge as part of the eFibre installation so that you can place the router in another part of the house just as both of you want.

There are posts made since 15th by godskitchen and others on the topic of where eircom can locate the NTU.

THanks pg17,
    Will the extra distance impact the speed? Or will the fact that the line is terminated at the NTU already, mean that the speed will be determined by the distance between the NTU and the cabinet only?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

So I got a nice letter from eircom yesterday telling me that I can reduce my bill by €10 a month by moving to a different package called "Advance Unlimited". Apparently it gives me everything that my current package gives me, just €10 less. Oh, and also it locks me into a new 12 month contract. I guess they want to make sure that they can hold onto people while we wait patiently for efibre availability. I can't wait until July 1st, according to that well finctioning map, it will be available in my area then...I won't hold my breath, this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

So I got a nice letter from eircom yesterday telling me that I can reduce my bill by €10 a month by moving to a different package called "Advance Unlimited". Apparently it gives me everything that my current package gives me, just €10 less. Oh, and also it locks me into a new 12 month contract. I guess they want to make sure that they can hold onto people while we wait patiently for efibre availability. I can't wait until July 1st, according to that well finctioning map, it will be available in my area then...I won't hold my breath, this time.

There are no set dates on the map. It just says that the exchange will go live between July and December.

Advertisement