Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

red_bairn wrote: »
    There are no set dates on the map. It just says that the exchange will go live between July and December.
    and a live exchange does not mean a live cab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ferpur wrote: »

Exactly. Eircom's "Oh we've switched on the lights!...But nobody is home. :("

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Ok i am very new to this, I live in Enniscorthy, but in the country, about 3 miles from the town, no cabinets near me at all, now on the coverage map i am well within the shaded area, my question is will i be able to receive the fibre through FTTN (fibre to the node)....or laymens terms from Enniscorthy exchange through the copper wire to my home......i know i wont get speeds like some of you have posted, but anything would be better than the 1.5mb i am getting now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I am in the mullingar area about 5 miles from the town well within the area that is shaded so I rang eircom to see can I get e-fibre, I can't, turns out the map is not that accurate after all, I was told to call back next month and check again:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

ShaunC wrote: »
    I am in the mullingar area about 5 miles from the town well within the area that is shaded so I rang eircom to see can I get e-fibre, I can't, turns out the map is not that accurate after all, I was told to call back next month and check again:mad:
    what eircom do is shade all houses that are attached to a efibre exchange even if they do not have cabs near them :mad:

• Advertisement

efc67 wrote: »
    Ok i am very new to this, I live in Enniscorthy, but in the country, about 3 miles from the town, no cabinets near me at all, now on the coverage map i am well within the shaded area, my question is will i be able to receive the fibre through FTTN (fibre to the node)....or laymens terms from Enniscorthy exchange through the copper wire to my home......i know i wont get speeds like some of you have posted, but anything would be better than the 1.5mb i am getting now

I don't think Eircom are doing FTTN. They are doing FTTC, which is much closer. They are putting in loads of cabinets down in Enniscorthy but I'm unsure how far out they are setting up. They may not have a cabinet near you at the moment but possibly in the future, if you live in a nucleus settlement. Where are you residing?
    ShaunC wrote: »

The area is live but you may not be able to get fibre because a cabinet hasn't been installed near you or there is one near you but either it has no power to it, hasn't been commissioned or has been commissioned but the database hasn't been updated for the Fibre Orders. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

ferpur wrote: »

And a live cab certainly does not mean you will be getting service. As my neighbours can testify. Some of us in the row have FTTC. Others cant get it. Even some in between two house that have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

What is really annoying is the fact that the national fiber optic network passes within 1k of my front door, do you think they would let me dig a hole and tap into it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    And a live cab certainly does not mean you will be getting service. As my neighbours can testify. Some of us in the row have FTTC. Others cant get it. Even some in between two house that have it.

In that case, there'd better be decent security on the new routers Eircom are handing out. If that kind of house to house policy is going to be in any way usual, then I sense an imminent rise in the practice of cracking/piggybacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

efc67 wrote: »

I see a vdsl cabinet out in kilcarbery. If you're out that direction you could be in luck.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    In that case, there'd better be decent security on the new routers Eircom are handing out. If that kind of house to house policy is going to be in any way usual, then I sense an imminent rise in the practice of cracking/piggybacking.

I don't think this is possible unless setup at the cabinet. I'm sure somebody in the know would be able to give us details about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

K, got the modem today and the engineer is popping round today or tomorrow. Arklow, btw. Yippee.

K, got the modem today and the engineer is popping round today or tomorrow. Arklow, btw. Yippee.

I didn't even know that Arklow had went live. Was it on the first list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

red_bairn wrote: »
    I didn't even know that Arklow had went live. Was it on the first list?

You sure that's not dsl?

Which provider is sending out modems before the install?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

It's been over a month since launch and I still can't get it. Is anyone else in a fibre enabled area that still can't get it?

The strange thing is I know that the cabs in the area are live but they are telling me my cab isn't live yet. If true, this would mean it's over 1km away and to make matters worse, they won't even confirm if we can get at all.

When you call them, you get someone who genuinely seems concerned as to why you can't get it. Then you're put through to what sounds like a fella who hasn't passed the leaving cert on efibre sales. When you ask a question, it's as if they're not even listening.

Eircom may have good internet but their support is easily the worst in the country.

You sure that's not dsl?

Which provider is sending out modems before the install?

I think Vodafone are...
    Manc Red wrote: »
    It's been over a month since launch and I still can't get it. Is anyone else in a fibre enabled area that still can't get it?

The strange thing is I know that the cabs in the area are live but they are telling me my cab isn't live yet. If true, this would mean it's over 1km away and to make matters worse, they won't even confirm if we can get at all.

When you call them, you get someone who genuinely seems concerned as to why you can't get it. Then you're put through to what sounds like a fella who hasn't passed the leaving cert on efibre sales. When you ask a question, it's as if they're not even listening.

Eircom may have good internet but their support is easily the worst in the country.

Did you get the cabinet number and quote that? You could be asked to talk to the technical support team and ask them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Manc Red wrote: »

This is exactly how I've felt every time I've been on to them about eFibre. The initial person you talk to is friendly and does their best but then they put your through to some fairly unfriendly staff who don't seem to give a toss one way or the other whether you will ever be able to get the service. And like you said, you ask them one question and they answer for another. Only for I've 5 months left on my contract with them I'd be moving provider in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

Carlow - Put forward!!!

From July-Nov to

July - Sept !

come on...!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A friend of mine in Dub24 signed up yesterday while I was in his house - he's pretty non teccy so needed encouragement:)

He was very impressed with how he was treated - he was already an Eircom customer so effectively migrating to the new product. They emphasised to him several times that he would be entering a new 18 month contract and asked if he agreed to that.

Also tested his line while he was on and told him he could only get get 25mb due to distance.

Only appointment available was mid July so they must be busy.

He also had to sign up for dd billing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Theire online checker has changed again and there's a link to Check what speed your house can get

check_Speed.jpg

you just get the same Address checker for non Eircom customers. Nothing about what speed you can get

address_checker.jpg

Surely the link should say something like 'See what product your house can get' as the next page you will get either tried to sell NGB or Fibre depending on what you can get. Nothing about what speed your house can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Zucker

Yeh just tried the new line checker and it tells me I can have eFibre but then further over it states I can only have up to 24Mb and they will upgrade as soon as its available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Zucker wrote: »
    Yeh just tried the new line checker and it tells me I can can have eFibre but then further over it states I can only have up to 24Mb and they will upgrade as soon as its available.

It didn't say that, it states that up to 24mb is an alternative option if you can't get eFiber, which you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Zucker

It didn't say that, it states that up to 24mb is an alternative option if you can't get eFiber, which you can.

Yes but it doesn't state what speed I will get when I am an eFibre customer. Just checked on the Vodafone site and it tells me I can have up to 70Mb which is what I thought the eircom site would tell me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

LFCFan wrote: »
    This is exactly how I've felt every time I've been on to them about eFibre. The initial person you talk to is friendly and does their best but then they put your through to some fairly unfriendly staff who don't seem to give a toss one way or the other whether you will ever be able to get the service. And like you said, you ask them one question and they answer for another. Only for I've 5 months left on my contract with them I'd be moving provider in a heartbeat

Wait til you find out that all your neighbors can get it and you can't. If your line is in anyway substandard your number won't be in the database an so no provider will be able to hook you up.
    Even if the people on all sides of you are already hooked up. Eircom don't give a toss. They'll just fob you off all day and won't bother to give you an option to get your line fixed. They'll just tell you something like your cab isn't enabled, even though you know it is because next door have it already installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Wait til you find out that all your neighbors can get it and you can't. If your line is in anyway substandard your number won't be in the database an so no provider will be able to hook you up.
    Even if the people on all sides of you are already hooked up. Eircom don't give a toss. They'll just fob you off all day and won't bother to give you an option to get your line fixed. They'll just tell you something like your cab isn't enabled, even though you know it is because next door have it already installed.

I'm in the exact same position as you then. Is it because of a bad line? Have you got it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

me too, same problem. no line coming up on checker , they told i me i couldnt get it but have got an install date for next week! fingers crossed goes okay. got a call and email last week confirming order and install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Castletroy in Limerick is due to go live on the 12th of July!

Also Longford Town on the 21st of June and Killarney on the 12th of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Enniscorthy has been pushed back to July to September on the map

bush wrote: »

It's been the same with Newtownmountkennedy in Wicklow which is beside the Greystones Exchange.

I reckon they'll be going live on a load of exchanges on July 12th (those that were suppose to be June). :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

bush wrote: »

Wicklow Town is the same

Advertisement