Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭briany

red_bairn wrote: »
    I don't think this is possible unless setup at the cabinet. I'm sure somebody in the know would be able to give us details about this.

:confused:

I'm not sure what you mean. :o I was talking about non fibre neighbours cracking the wireless security on the routers of the lucky fibre enabled so and sos next door in a desperate bid to partake of those speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

briany wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm not sure what you mean. :o I was talking about non fibre neighbours cracking the wireless security on the routers of the lucky fibre enabled so and sos next door in a desperate bid to partake of those speeds.

Oops! Yeah. They need to ensure they have their WPA2 set, a new Username and Password on the router, DMZ zone, MAC address filtering, change the default SSID or disable the broadcast altogether. Could also disable DHCP and use Static IP addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

jspuds wrote: »
    Wicklow Town is the same

Same in Ashbourne. Haven't seen a VDSL cabinet, though. Just hoping Sky will get their arse in gear by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

July to Sept now for Tullamore- that's good news 30/09/13 is only 3 months and 11 days away!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Was away for a week there, was hoping the My Eircom page was fixed by now, but it seems I don't have a phone account linked to my email address anymore?!? When I put in the old details it claims that they're wrong. This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't on paperless billing, so unless I check my Debit account I've no idea how much is going to them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Was away for a week there, was hoping the My Eircom page was fixed by now, but it seems I don't have a phone account linked to my email address anymore?!? When I put in the old details it claims that they're wrong. This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't on paperless billing, so unless I check my Debit account I've no idea how much is going to them :mad:
    Tommy I've tried repeatedly to sort mine over the past three weeks. Very frustrating but not as frustrating as todays Stats reading ...

============================================================================
    Status 19/06/13

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 9 hours: 12 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 15.419 Mbps 48.446 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 15.359 Mbps 48.368 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 12.1 dB 16.5 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.6 dBm 12.4 dBm
    Receive Power: -25.2 dBm 0.1 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 2.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 11.5 dB 12.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.080 Mbps 50.924 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 2.3 14.2 20.8 N/A 8.3 19.3 30.8
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 2.3 13.8 20.2 N/A 8.3 19.3 30.9
    SNR Margin(dB): 12.0 12.1 12.1 N/A 16.5 16.5 16.5
    Transmit Power(dBm):-25.2 -16.0 -18.4 N/A 8.1 7.8 7.0

Attainable Net Data Rate has fallen from: Attainable Net Data Rate: 30.027 Mbps 118.028 Mbps to the above in three weeks. Pretty pissed as I can't do anything about it till My Eircom is bloody sorted:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

ctlsleh wrote: »
    THanks pg17,
    Will the extra distance impact the speed? Or will the fact that the line is terminated at the NTU already, mean that the speed will be determined by the distance between the NTU and the cabinet only?

It's the distance and quality of the line between the cabinet and the modem/router which are important. Unless you live in Powerscourt or a sililar huge house :) the extra distance should not affect your speed.

Great news about the exchanges which are now scheduled to go live July to September instead of July to December (including Finglas).

I also see Phibsboro has beed moved from 2014 to October - December 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

bush wrote: »
    Enniscorthy has been pushed back to July to September on the map

So frustrating, got a leaflet from Vodafone yesterday saying your neighbourhood is ready for Fibre. Now Eircom change the timeframe again, aghhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

I don't think Eircom are doing FTTN. They are doing FTTC, which is much closer. They are putting in loads of cabinets down in Enniscorthy but I'm unsure how far out they are setting up. They may not have a cabinet near you at the moment but possibly in the future, if you live in a nucleus settlement. Where are you residing?

The area is live but you may not be able to get fibre because a cabinet hasn't been installed near you or there is one near you but either it has no power to it, hasn't been commissioned or has been commissioned but the database hasn't been updated for the Fibre Orders. :D

Hi i am in Cooladine, on the Ballagh road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I didn't even know that Arklow had went live. Was it on the first list?

it was phase 4. Despite this, We got leaflets a couple weeks ago, we signed up for it with vodafone. If you run a line check on us and our neighbours eircom say we can get "up to 50mb", vodafone say we can get "up to 70mb". We're not miles away but I'd be pretty happy with even 35 down. efibre vans with sparkly glittery paint are driving about the town, I assume installing lines.
    You sure that's not dsl?

Nope, but all signs point to VDSL2.
    Which provider is sending out modems before the install?

Vodafone.

edit: arklow is also live on the map, here: http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Same in Ashbourne. Haven't seen a VDSL cabinet, though. Just hoping Sky will get their arse in gear by then.
    I saw one the other day, just off the roundabout on the left hand side heading for Ratoath.

Weren't UPC meant to be setting up in Ashbourne too?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I understand that when you get connected to fibre that you get a new account number.
    Maybe this has something to do with your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I saw one the other day, just off the roundabout on the left hand side heading for Ratoath.

I must head out that way and take a look. I'll always pass by the old DSL cabinet near the traffic lights at the secondary school and there's no sign of work at that cabinet. I'll have a look around the town tomorrow and see if anything new has popped up.
    Weren't UPC meant to be setting up in Ashbourne too?

Yeah, they're in the new housing estates like Johnswood, Millbourne, etc... It's harder to set it up in the older housing estates because you have to run cables across the fascia boards of people's houses - some arsehole neighbours object to this. Not sure if it happened in my estate, but I can picture it happening and it's common enough for people across Ireland to object to it, as some people on here can attest to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

Solair provided a diagram further back up the thread on this :

Yes, yes you did. Enigmatical me hole ....

I saw that Solair has closed his/her account. Another knowledgeable poster gone.

And returned & now gone again ....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SirMeow

Looks like all of the towns under may-june just went live... ****K YEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

SirMeow wrote: »
    Looks like all of the towns under may-june just went live... ****K YEEEEEEEEEE

Don't get too excited now, I've ordered eFibre Unlimited here in Carrick-on-Shannon on Tuesday, was told will get it installed first week of July, but got a phone call yesterday Eircom need to finalize the whole local exchange, which won't be done until the 12th of July:confused:

So, yes, it's available now, but reality was postponed by 3 weeks at least, FOR NOW.

I won't be surprised if I don't see it until the end of July...

Patience is the magic word now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

versager wrote: »
    Don't get too excited now, I've ordered eFibre Unlimited here in Carrick-on-Shannon on Tuesday, was told will get it installed first week of July, but got a phone call yesterday Eircom need to finalize the whole local exchange, which won't be done until the 12th of July:confused:

So, yes, it's available now, but reality was postponed by 3 weeks at least, FOR NOW.

I won't be surprised if I don't see it until the end of July...

Patience is the magic word now:(

+1

VF don't seem to have a clue what's happening in Enniscorthy,I rang them and knew more about the situation than they did.Cabs are in and all work done on those that were "priority",no sign of the feckin ESB to switch on the power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

efc67 wrote: »
    Hi i am in Cooladine, on the Ballagh road
    The cabinet is 50m away, hooked up and singing. The exchange is upgraded, I talked to the engineers. Why can't Eircom just give a date instead of July/December, that means I might have it for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

How do I find my nearest cabinet? I think it's either Newcastle or Rathcoole, I know our area isn't VDSL activated yet, but I want to find out how far I am from the cabinet to see if it's worth investigating further.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How do I find my nearest cabinet? I think it's either Newcastle or Rathcoole, I know our area isn't VDSL activated yet, but I want to find out how far I am from the cabinet to see if it's worth investigating further.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

See there.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

Is that not just the ones confirmed to have fibre rolled out to them? I'm looking for where my nearest cabinet is so I can get a guess as to how far away it is and then see what speeds I should expect at this distance.

Is that not just the ones confirmed to have fibre rolled out to them? I'm looking for where my nearest cabinet is so I can get a guess as to how far away it is and then see what speeds I should expect at this distance.

Then go for a walk.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Then go for a walk.

Even if you can walk the path from a cabinet to your house it's still no guarantee that it's the distance of the cable. I walked the distance from my cab to my house and it's around 500 metres but Eircom are telling me the max speed I will get is 25mb/s which means it's obviously doing some other route to my house. Without seeing the actual path it takes, it's impossible to know the distance until you get some line stats, like attenuation etc and even then there could be other factors affecting it

LFCFan wrote: »
    Even if you can walk the path from a cabinet to your house it's still no guarantee that it's the distance of the cable. I walked the distance from my cab to my house and it's around 500 metres but Eircom are telling me the max speed I will get is 25mb/s which means it's obviously doing some other route to my house. Without seeing the actual path it takes, it's impossible to know the distance until you get some line stats, like attenuation etc and even then there could be other factors affecting it

Yeah, but if it's close enough he should be below that 1KM mark.

Btw, how old is your build or estate?

It's definitely not within 1KM, probably closer to 2 or 3.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

True, a walk to the cab will probably tell you if you're probably within the 1KM limit (unless it's a 2KM walk :P )

It's around 14 years old I think

It's definitely not within 1KM, probably closer to 2 or 3.
    I'm looking for where my nearest cabinet is so I can get a guess as to how far away it is[...]

:/
    LFCFan wrote: »
    True, a walk to the cab will probably tell you if you're probably within the 1KM limit (unless it's a 2KM walk :P )

It's around 14 years old I think

The wiring is most likely worse off for estates during the Celtic Tiger era, or even before. I don't know about my line. It seems quite stable on ADSL and they'll be setting up ADSL2 over the next couple of days when they get some ass down to our local exchange. :rolleyes:

:/
    I know it's not within 1km because they wouldn't put a cabinet up on a hill with this few houses around, I would have been able to get more than 1Mb down if that were the case!

I know it's not within 1km because they wouldn't put a cabinet up on a hill with this few houses around, I would have been able to get more than 1Mb down if that were the case!

The ADSL speeds are down to the distance from your home to the exchange not your ADSL cabinet to the house.

• Advertisement

The ADSL speeds are down to the distance from your home to the exchange not your ADSL cabinet to the house.

Will the fibre rollout mean anything for me then?

Advertisement