Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Will the fibre rollout mean anything for me then?

I've already seen small areas on main roads get cabinets installed. One such example is the road down to Courtown, Wexford (from Gorey). One of the cabinet mappers said it's across the road from a row of houses (52.669798,-6.268519).

What road or area are you in exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

red_bairn wrote: »
    I've already seen small areas on main roads get cabinets installed. One such example is the road down to Courtown, Wexford (from Gorey). One of the cabinet mappers said it's across the road from a row of houses (52.669798,-6.268519).

What road or area are you in exactly?

Athgoe, near Newcastle.

Athgoe, near Newcastle.

Both Greenoge and Rathcoole look equal in distance to your area. You could be waiting a while unless they build a shed sized exchange in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SirMeow

How funny......
    So I checked if fibre was available to an estate right next to mine.... YES... of course the estate was fibre enabled....
    Funny thing is we are connected directly to the same exchange..... ohh eircom you never fail to disappoint.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

SirMeow wrote: »
    How funny......
    So I checked if fibre was available to an estate right next to mine.... YES... of course the estate was fibre enabled....
    Funny thing is we are connected directly to the same exchange..... ohh eircom you never fail to disappoint.....
    But you're not connected directly to any exchange with vdsl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

eggman99 wrote: »
    The cabinet is 50m away, hooked up and singing. The exchange is upgraded, I talked to the engineers. Why can't Eircom just give a date instead of July/December, that means I might have it for Christmas

Where abouts is your cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Athgoe, near Newcastle.

No cabinets are planned for Athgoe as far as I can see. The nearest cabinets are in Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭phog

SirMeow wrote: »
    How funny......

Fibre is ran from the exchange to roadside cabs, each fibre cab is mapped to a copper cab.

If your line doesn't go through a cab or if it goes through a cab that doesn't have a fibre one matching it then your line cannot pass prequal. Still an eircom issue but there were good reasons for the copper path that you have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

Might have been asked before, but are these cabs backwards compatible i.e. can they provide improved ADSL service beyond the worthwhile VDSL limit?

Might have been asked before, but are these cabs backwards compatible i.e. can they provide improved ADSL service beyond the worthwhile VDSL limit?

No, VDSL only.

• Advertisement

Eh, yeah I think so. But they want to get the majority of their customer base on VDSL before switching on vectoring.

Eh, yeah I think so. But they want to get the majority of their customer base on VDSL before switching on vectoring.

Are you sure? The ADSL will continue to be sent out from the exchange, if your line is further than 1km from the fibre cab then how can vectoring improve the ADSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I've lost count of how many questions/queries you've answered incorrectly on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

No, I read a post from someone one here saying a engineer goes up to the cabinet after they install your socket. They must disconnect your copper line from the old cabinet and move it into the new cabinet.

Don't understand what you mean by "beyond the worthwhile VDSL limit"?

Probably no benefit for those left on ADSL with the amount of line-shortening introduced by the cabs, anyway.

^^I do indeed, but I might be wrong in thinking ADSL is a more robust standard, more suited to long copper lines.

I've lost count of how many questions/queries you've answered incorrectly on here.

Not sure what you are on about.
    phog wrote: »
    Are you sure? The ADSL will continue to be sent out from the exchange, if your line is further than 1km from the fibre cab then how can vectoring improve the ADSL?

I didn't say that the ADSL will be improved by vectoring, but I vaguely remember somebody talking about the majority of equipment that is in an exchange being used in the Huawei cab, excluding voice.

I'd say most of these cabs are strategically placed to serve VDSL only, but there's bound to be some leftover capacity (unused connections) on some of them & some of their "companion" copper cabs will have a few long lines that wouldn't fare so well on VDSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

No, I read a post from someone one here saying a engineer goes up to the cabinet after they install your socket. They must disconnect your copper line from the old cabinet and move it into the new cabinet.

After the VDSL installation, the copper pair from the exchange is still used for the voice telephone service while the data service is on fibre from the exchange to the VDSL cabinet and then connected on the copper from the cabinet to your home on the same pair used for voice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

BT installing vDSL 2 years ago and we are only now getting it here. Eircom really have kept Ireland in the broadband dark ages :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Regarding possible improvements for customers on ADSL who cannot get connected to a fibre cab .....

As copper lines are freed up back to the exchange, would there not be an improvement in the ADSL service to outlying customers, if the copper was doubled up?

Hardly any real point in leaving a lot of copper unused if it can be useful to increase the service to those too distant from a fibre cab to be connected there.

So, I guess my question is ..... would doubling up on the 'lines' (pair-bonding?) to a customer not improve matters if they are on ADSL?

The answer being yes, should not such ADSL customers not expect an improvement in their service as a result of e-fibre cabs being installed in their area freeing up copper lines?

LFCFan wrote: »
    BT installing vDSL 2 years ago and we are only now getting it here. Eircom really have kept Ireland in the broadband dark ages :mad:

FTTH has been out for years. It's a pity the EU cut the budget costs for helping with the broadband/network infrastructure all over the EU (we could have had a FTTH core network built).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Its just as well they waited, many of the cabs in the UK are not able to vector. Its only the newer ones that can.

That means many places will need an equipment change, which will be a long time coming.

BT have released 3 locations in the UK to test vectoring, guessing it will be a few years before it happens here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

bealtine wrote: »
    No cabinets are planned for Athgoe as far as I can see. The nearest cabinets are in Newcastle

Well, it's better than it being in Rathcoole, thanks.

Its just as well they waited, many of the cabs in the UK are not able to vector. Its only the newer ones that can.

With that thinking then maybe Eircom should have waited another couple of years just in case there is some other new tech that may be available in 2 years time they could have availed of. I would have rathered being 'stuck' on 50mb/s for a few years waiting on vectoring than the ridiculous 1-2mb/s I've been stuck on for the past few years ;)

With that thinking then maybe Eircom should have waited another couple of years just in case there is some other new tech that may be available in 2 years time they could have availed of. I would have rathered being 'stuck' on 50mb/s for a few years waiting on vectoring than the ridiculous 1-2mb/s I've been stuck on for the past few years ;)

Yep, I hear what you are saying and I agree, you have to jump into technology at some point.

I also don't think it was by design that it worked out well for them. I think it was cash flow, or lack of it. Vdsl was tested in 2006/2007, so they knew about it and were planning for it for quit some time.

Yep, I hear what you are saying and I agree, you have to jump into technology at some point.

I also don't think it was by design that it worked out well for them. I think it was cash flow, or lack of it. Vdsl was tested in 2006/2007, so they knew about it and were planning for it for quit some time.

Bad planning considering how much of the broadband market UPC have eaten up using their own version of vDSL leaving Eircom playing catchup. Eircom should be in the process of implementing vectoring/bonding at this stage, not just an initial rollout of an ageing technology. We'll be getting vectoring/bonding when the UK are getting FTTH as standard.

Bad planning considering how much of the broadband market UPC have eaten up using their own version of vDSL leaving Eircom playing catchup. Eircom should be in the process of implementing vectoring/bonding at this stage, not just an initial rollout of an ageing technology. We'll be getting vectoring/bonding when the UK are getting FTTH as standard.

From what I hear, BT have no immediate plans for fttp/ftth. I do a fair bit of work in the UK and word is that the ducting to the homes is in a shocking state insny places. Much older housing stock than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Final cabinet in Arklow was commissioned today. Had a good chat with engineer and he confirmed yellow sticker on cabinet is the final step before they hand off the cabinet. I took a quick snap of the inside of the cabinet for anyone interested. 4 fibre trunks currently connected back to the exchange but cabinet has capacity for a total of 12, these are already laid in the ground but just not patched yet.

Sorry photos aren't the best res only had my work phone on me.

Advertisement