Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

claytonie wrote: »
    Final cabinet in Arklow was commissioned today. Had a good chat with engineer and he confirmed yellow sticker on cabinet is the final step before they hand off the cabinet. I took a quick snap of the inside of the cabinet for anyone interested. 4 fibre trunks currently connected back to the exchange but cabinet has capacity for a total of 12, these are already laid in the ground but just not patched yet.

Sorry photos aren't the best res only had my work phone on me.
    does this mean each cab can handle 768 lines (4*192)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got a flyer from Vodafone today about the fibre being available in my area,cab has a nice yellow sticker but still no fibre gone live.I wonder what answer Eircom will give me if I ring them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

zerks wrote: »
    Got a flyer from Vodafone today about the fibre being available in my area,cab has a nice yellow sticker but still no fibre gone live.I wonder what answer Eircom will give me if I ring them?

Only one way to find out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Final cabinet in Arklow was commissioned today. Had a good chat with engineer and he confirmed yellow sticker on cabinet is the final step before they hand off the cabinet. I took a quick snap of the inside of the cabinet for anyone interested. 4 fibre trunks currently connected back to the exchange but cabinet has capacity for a total of 12, these are already laid in the ground but just not patched yet.

Hi,
    What sticker is it, what is saying on sticker?
    Cabinet number like 007 or ARK01C12?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Phone lines in my house are dead. Have an eircom technician coming in a week or so to get them up and running. Im in an area where efibre will be rolled out in the next coming months. Im just wondering do you think he/she will wire up the house for fibre or what?
    Or should i mention it to him/her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

domeld wrote: »
    Hi,
    What sticker is it, what is saying on sticker?
    Cabinet number like 007 or ARK01C12?

The sticker had 012A on it earlier today but in more recent developments when I just went out now the sticker has been take off, I'm hoping that its just a case of it needed to be changed and not something found wrong with the cabinet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

red_bairn wrote: »
    Not sure what you are on about.

I didn't say that the ADSL will be improved by vectoring, but I vaguely remember somebody talking about the majority of equipment that is in an exchange being used in the Huawei cab, excluding voice.

OK, there's a misunderstanding here.

I thought the op asked would ADSL improve because of the fibre cabs, I thought your reply confirmed this as vectoring would improve the speed on longer lines.

The VDSL broadband is fed onto the network from the fibre cab and seems to be limited to customers who are a distance of no more than 1km from the cabs
    The ADSL is fed and will continue to be fed into the network from the local exchange.

AFAIK, vectoring is only being introduced to VDSL cabs, bonding may be tried on both ADSL and VDSL but that requires extra copper pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Got a call earlier on from Eircom. The rolestown cabinet is enabled now and they are giving me eFibre even though they say my line is 1.3 km long. At last. If they limit that cabinet to 1km they would only cover about 20 houses.

So did you get eFibre after all even though you are 1.3 Km away from the cab? And if so, what speeds are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

What does the yellow sticker look like claytonie? I just see a tiny ones on the sides of the cabinets near me in Meadowvale

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

What does the yellow sticker look like claytonie? I just see a tiny ones on the sides of the cabinets near me in Meadowvale

The sticker is yellow and similar to the one shown here. It is usually on the upper left corner. The text identifies the exchange combined with a reference sequence number. E.g. FNG113 for a cabinet attached to the Finglas exchange.

BTW, this is not a VDSL cabinet, it is a fibre splitter cabinet (CPC008).

The concept of fibre splitter is shown on page 15 of this eircom presentation.
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nextgenerationnetwork.ie%2Fdownloads%2Fprogramme_overview%2Findustry_overview.pdf&ei=CYvFUdqwEfDH7Ab1vYDICQ&usg=AFQjCNEIuC69aAOICihq2B8hnvv0O72Ihw&sig2=XXemmp8AdYHqIjRvrif55Q&bvm=bv.48293060,d.ZGU

Although the diagram in the presentation is for FTTH, I expect the same concept applies in other fibre applications.
    The cabinet is at a significant local road junction where eircom may have decided to optimise fibre routing and usage.

259282.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Yeah, I got one here in Monaghan, but I don't think the cab near me is switched on (Yellow stickers are on the old and new cabs). Will dive into the Vodafone shop tomorrow to find out what is happening.

Also, I noticed the old cab (Like the one on the left of this pic) outside Monaghan General Hospital now has some type of smaller "add-on" cabinet attached to it. I wonder what is in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Yeah, I got one here in Monaghan, but I don't think the cab near me is switched on (Yellow stickers are on the old and new cabs). Will dive into the Vodafone shop tomorrow to find out what is happening.

Also, I noticed the old cab (Like the one on the left of this pic) outside Monaghan General Hospital now has some type of smaller "add-on" cabinet attached to it. I wonder what is in that?

The cabinet on the left is the copper cabinet for the telephone system. The cabinet on the right is the new VDSL cabinet and is not yet commissioned - it did not receive its yellow sticker. There is usually a small galvanised cabinet which is for the ESB Networks power feed to the VDSL cabinet.

r1zy1d.jpg

pg17 wrote: »
    The cabinet on the left is the copper cabinet for the telephone system. The cabinet on the right is the new VDSL cabinet and is not yet commissioned - it did not receive its yellow sticker. There is usually a small galvanised cabinet which is for the ESB Networks power feed to the VDSL cabinet.

That pic is from the map thread, but the one in Monaghan has the stickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

l now has some type of smaller "add-on" cabinet attached to it. I wonder what is in that?

???

351wxoh.jpg

pg17 wrote: »
    The sticker is yellow and similar to the one shown here. It is usually on the upper left corner. The text identifies the exchange combined with a reference sequence number. E.g. FNG113 for a cabinet attached to the Finglas exchange.

BTW, this is not a VDSL cabinet, it is a fibre splitter cabinet (CPC008).

259282.jpg

fibre splitter cab ?

arctan wrote: »
    ???

That's it! To me, it looks like some kind of NAS lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If your VF shop is like my local one you'd be better off asking a local wino.

Did a line check using Eircom's site and according to that I can currently get 24mbs,VF are saying differently.Looks like I may just sit and wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Tonio

Some more activity in Midleton. Some of the cabinets now have yellow stickers. Checked the Eircom map and it now says go live between July and Sept. Previously said July to December earlier this week. Progress.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

If your VF shop is like my local one you'd be better off asking a local wino.

Did a line check using Eircom's site and according to that I can currently get 24mbs,VF are saying differently.Looks like I may just sit and wait.

Yeah, the old man got a letter in the post saying the new bill will have a new title "Advanced Unlimited".

I rang Eircom the same day to get the line upgraded ' Up to 24Mb', but we will achieve 12Mb. Its an improvement over our current 6Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Tonio wrote: »
    Some more activity in Midleton. Some of the cabinets now have yellow stickers. Checked the Eircom map and it now says go live between July and Sept. Previously said July to December earlier this week. Progress.....

Dundalk map previously also said July to Dec now July to Sept. Could be happening for other areas too?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

Dundalk map previously also said July to Dec now July to Sept. Could be happening for other areas too?
    just because an exchange is live does not mean that all the cabs are live Drogheda has been live since may20th but I am told my cab will not be live till:mad: july12th

• Advertisement

Yeah, the old man got a letter in the post saying the new bill will have a new title "Advanced Unlimited".

I rang Eircom the same day to get the line upgraded ' Up to 24Mb', but we will achieve 12Mb. Its an improvement over our current 6Mb.

My letter didn't mention increased speeds. But the Eircom website said I could get 24 meg on a front page banner. I rang the number but the line check said it could handle only 5, which would accord with my speed tests. I don't think 24 is available to anyone in Dundalk.

The letter did say:

We have reviewed your current bundle and we want to reassure you that you are getting the best possible broadband speeds from eircom in your area and that you won't get better speeds from sky or vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

My letter didn't mention increased speeds. But the Eircom website said I could get 24 meg on a front page banner. I rang the number but the line check said it could handle only 5, which would accord with my speed tests. I don't think 24 is available to anyone in Dundalk.

The letter did say:

We have reviewed your current bundle and we want to reassure you that you are getting the best possible broadband speeds from eircom in your area and that you won't get better speeds from sky or vodafone.

Where in dundalk are you located?
    I checked online and it was telling me my line can now handle up to 24meg. Currently getting 6 meg down on the 8 meg package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The site tells everyone who cant get fibre they can get 24Mb, that is not the case. Do not trust the site. If you want to know call tech support/sales and ask them to prequal your line.

I checked online and it was telling me my line can now handle up to 24meg. Currently getting 6 meg down on the 8 meg package.

Yeah, then you can probably get 12Mb/s if you ring them up to change to ADSL2. But make sure you have a ADSL2 enabled modem.

Avenue Road area, but like I said I'm pretty sure 24 meg is not available to anyone in Dundalk. Call Eircom 1800 661622 to check your line. That banner also says Fibre July to Dec but the map now says July to Sept.

Avenue Road area, but like I said I'm pretty sure 24 meg is not available to anyone in Dundalk. Call Eircom 1800 661622 to check your line. That banner also says Fibre July to Dec but the map now says July to Sept.

The map always said July to Sept. I don't know where 'July to Dec' came from.

The map always said July to Sept. I don't know where 'July to Dec' came from.

No, it definitely changed recently. And Blackrock has changed from 2014 to Oct Dec 2013.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ADSL2 is "up to" a max of 24mb/s However no one gets that in the real world outside a lab.

With ADSL2 you could get anything from 1mb/s up to about 16mb/s, depending on the distance to your local exchange and the quality of the line.

Now some people would benefit if they are currently on ADSL and moved over to ADSL2, they would normally see a boost in speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

No, it definitely changed recently. And Blackrock has changed from 2014 to Oct Dec 2013.

I'm in the Lis Na Dara estate on the Carrick Road. Entered my number just now and it says efibre available in July to December 2013 for me. Also says I can get speeds up to 24MB now. Have to ring 1800 661622 for a free upgrade.

I'm on the NGB Regular package now, would I have to pay more to go up to this higher speed?

• Advertisement

I'm in the Lis Na Dara estate on the Carrick Road. Entered my number just now and it says efibre available in July to December 2013 for me. Also says I can get speeds up to 24MB now. Have to ring 1800 661622 for a free upgrade.

I'm on the NGB Regular package now, would I have to pay more to go up to this higher speed?

No. They'll upgrade it for free. But according to Eircom Mark ont he Eircom forums it can take up to 10days before they switch you over to ADSL2.

Advertisement