Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Apparently there's some kind of hold up on getting our local cabinet commissioned due to ESB delays :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

red_bairn wrote: »
    No. They'll upgrade it for free. But according to Eircom Mark ont he Eircom forums it can take up to 10days before they switch you over to ADSL2.

Cheers. Does the router need to be changed or anything? It's one of those dark Zyxel models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Cheers. Does the router need to be changed or anything? It's one of those dark Zyxel models.

ADSL2 enabled. We bought a DGN2200 last year and now they are giving out free modems with efbire that have the same spec, if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

Eircoms map has been updated a bit. Bettystown was showing as July to December last week, now it's saying July to September. Come on guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

eFibre systems within Eircom are down today so no orders or moves happening today.

• Advertisement

More KN guys spotted in Bettystown, putting yellow tubing into the ground, this time outside the dentists

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Flibbles wrote: »
    eFibre systems within Eircom are down today so no orders or moves happening today.

Is the system being updated ?, or is the backlog of orders being cleared ?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Apparently there's some kind of hold up on getting our local cabinet commissioned due to ESB delays :(:(

This is also the case in the woodlands cabinet in Frankfield Cork.

When i rang there is not any known date as to when it will be commissioned this cabinet is part of the phase 1 rollout area (Douglas).:( this cabinet was installed back in September 2012

gordonnet wrote: »
    Is the system being updated ?, or is the backlog of orders being cleared ?

I was only told that they can't access any orders today, and to ring back tomorrow. Absolute joke, I got to taste eFibre for all of a week before moving, now I've had no connection at all for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My letter didn't mention increased speeds. But the Eircom website said I could get 24 meg on a front page banner. I rang the number but the line check said it could handle only 5, which would accord with my speed tests. I don't think 24 is available to anyone in Dundalk.

The letter did say:

We have reviewed your current bundle and we want to reassure you that you are getting the best possible broadband speeds from eircom in your area and that you won't get better speeds from sky or vodafone.
    Avenue Road area, but like I said I'm pretty sure 24 meg is not available to anyone in Dundalk. Call Eircom 1800 661622 to check your line. That banner also says Fibre July to Dec but the map now says July to Sept.

Got a call from Eircom rep this morning offering free upgrade to 24 Meg. When I pointed out that my line can only handle 5 she did a test and agreed. But she did say they would reduce the price of my package by €10. She was clueless about Fibre, mixing up Dundalk with Drogheda. But she said the best thing to do was ring 1901 in July to check eventhough the previous rep took my details for me to be contacted when it is available.

• Advertisement

They're trying to contract people up before one of their competitors do. Seems like a perfectly reasonable strategy to me!

Unless you're very confident that is coming to your line, I wouldn't rush to sign up just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're trying to contract people up before one of their competitors do. Seems like a perfectly reasonable strategy to me!

Unless you're very confident that is coming to your line, I wouldn't rush to sign up just yet.

I'm happy enough to stay with Eircom. I've had very few problems over the years and it has been a gradual increase in speeds and reduction in price, even though I know it is still expensive. Switching is too much like hassle for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Had a courtesy call from Eircom today following up about the Fibre install and asking if I'm happy with the service etc etc.
    When pushed, I mentioned my extreeeeeemely minor complaint of "only" getting 40 MB :D when as the crow flies I'm 180-200 m from the cabinet, he said
    - that's cos its FTTC blah blah, we hope to have FTTH for everyone in due course.
    So I said WHAT???
    He repeated Fibre to the home, hopefully in your area before the end of the year. It's already in existence in some parts blah blah blah.

Now I know people in Sales, and in that particular type of role of giving courtesy calls and trying to be sure the customer is happy, ALWAYS talk through their backside and don't have a clue about what is really on offer or coming up..... but it's interesting.

So was this guy talking pure sh1t or are Eircom really going to do FTTH? I was sure it was only FTTC...

Well, they've a fair few extra fibres at every cabinet...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Does anyone know anything about when Shantalla in Galway will be enabled? It's supposed to be in the first wave but rang the rep today and the had no info on when it would be active.

My current contract will be up soon so trying to weigh up my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Mickalus wrote: »
    Had a courtesy call from Eircom today following up about the Fibre install and asking if I'm happy with the service etc etc.
    When pushed, I mentioned my extreeeeeemely minor complaint of "only" getting 40 MB :D when as the crow flies I'm 180-200 m from the cabinet, he said
    - that's cos its FTTC blah blah, we hope to have FTTH for everyone in due course.
    So I said WHAT???
    He repeated Fibre to the home, hopefully in your area before the end of the year. It's already in existence in some parts blah blah blah.

Now I know people in Sales, and in that particular type of role of giving courtesy calls and trying to be sure the customer is happy, ALWAYS talk through their backside and don't have a clue about what is really on offer or coming up..... but it's interesting.

So was this guy talking pure sh1t or are Eircom really going to do FTTH? I was sure it was only FTTC...

Talking pure crap.

I'm gonna have a wild guess and say that the next exchanges to go live (july-Sept) will happen July 12th. All, if not most of them will. July 12th has been mentioned a few times by Boardsies, getting that info from Vodafone and Eircom reps for their cabinets becoming available, so I think they may switch on other exchange areas. Just a wild guess. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

I'm gonna have a wild guess and say that the next exchanges to go live (july-Sept) will happen July 12th. All, if not most of them will. July 12th has been mentioned a few times by Boardsies, getting that info from Vodafone and Eircom reps for their cabinets becoming available, so I think they may switch on other exchange areas. Just a wild guess. :)
    so another non event day:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ferpur wrote: »
    so another non event day:P

Exactly. It'll be the usual messing. Kn will have their work done and we'll wait months for eircom/esb to come and finish the work. Ftth hah now that would be a logistical disaster. Some of the eircom "engineers"don't even know where some of the cabinets are ffs, never mind finding the cabinet that your line is connected to!!!

Connection is finally being placed on Monday :D

• Advertisement

Flibbles wrote: »
    Connection is finally being placed on Monday :D

Which Monday??

jca wrote: »
    Which Monday??

This Monday coming. It was originally planned for the 27th of July until the wife rang to complain about the shoddy service we'd received (considering we already had the product for a week before moving).

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

I have noticed on one of the VDSL cabinets close by that a yellow stick with an alpha numeric designation is on it, does this mean it is live ?

I have noticed on one of the VDSL cabinets close by that a yellow stick with an alpha numeric designation is on it, does this mean it is live ?

It means it is commissioned but not necessarily live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Anyone know when Carlow will get conencted?
    My specific area in Carlow isn't listed on the tracker but for Carlow town it says July-Sept.
    There are 2 VDSL boxes near my house, one next to the old one and one on it's own.
    The don't have any of those tags though.

This is very irrevelant but I'm just curious.
    2796815413.png
    What's up with my ISP saying BT when I've Sky?
    It always used to say Esat.

Anyone know when Carlow will get conencted?
    My specific area in Carlow isn't listed on the tracker but for Carlow town it says July-Sept.
    There are 2 VDSL boxes near my house, one next to the old one and one on it's own.
    The don't have any of those tags though.

This is very irrevelant but I'm just curious.
    2796815413.png
    What's up with my ISP saying BT when I've Sky?
    It always used to say Esat.

Just checked mine and it too has changed to BT. It's certainly a lot better in the evenings.
    2796840851.png

not necessarily. ours has one and its not hooked up to ESB power yet!

More KN activity going on yesterday on the road outside the Bettystown Court Hotel (laying more orange tubing), these guys have been working hard in the area the last 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

well since my area has moved into the "July-sept" bracket, fingers are crossed here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

KN laying the ducting this morning in the Crossagalla exchange in Limerick.

Advertisement