Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're still using the copper back to the exchange for PSTN voice services though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I ordered in Arklow last Thursday night.
    Got a call to do the install next Wednesday(3rd), but have had to put them back to Thursday 11th July..

Hope it works well!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

byte wrote: »
    I was told today, though I wouldn't consider the info reliable atm, that they could route over a different bridge towards other side of town by renting some duct space off the CoCo for a period (this bridge is only a few years old and the CoCo have new, presumably near empty, ducts in it).

In that period, it'd allow them to run the fiber, then when things are running, take away some of the copper that won't be needed in the existing full duct and replace with fibre.

I dunno how that'd work in actuality, but we will see.

Fibre will not be throwing any copper spare, not in the immediate future anyway. In the scenario you mention above, there might be dead cables in the duct that might be worth recovering for scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CH3OH wrote: »
    I ordered in Arklow last Thursday night.
    Got a call to do the install next Wednesday(3rd), but have had to put them back to Thursday 11th July..

Hope it works well!

Where in the town are you man? Did you order online or over the phone?

Our numbers still showing up as coming soon.... I wonder how much longer it will take. Everything appears to be in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Where in the town are you man? Did you order online or over the phone?

+1 would be good to know which areas are live in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Any way to find out exactly what old type wiring cabinet i am connected with a view to finding where my nearest vdsl cabinet is

there are 2 cabinets near me one has a old cabinet and a vdsl cabinet nearby the other only has an old vdsl cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

claytonie wrote: »
    +1 would be good to know which areas are live in town.

Not too far from the Cemetery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Monaghan addresses now Fibre enabled according to Eircom's line checker :)

gordonnet wrote: »
    Any way to find out exactly what old type wiring cabinet i am connected with a view to finding where my nearest vdsl cabinet is

there are 2 cabinets near me one has a old cabinet and a vdsl cabinet nearby the other only has an old vdsl cabinet.

I'm sure eircom must have a database or map with that information but I would say its more likely to be only available to local engineering crews. The sales people don't seem to have very much more information than is already available through the line checker on the website.

Although, that being said, that's probably good because it demonstrates that they have made a clear divide between eircom retail and eircom wholesale.

The eircom retail sales people shouldn't have any more info than any other provider has really. So it's published via some kind of standard process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

smemon wrote: »
    Monaghan addresses now Fibre enabled according to Eircom's line checker :)

:O

*scrambles*

EDIT: It's now showing anything for me. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

:O

*scrambles*

EDIT: It's now showing anything for me. :/

Was that supposed to be *now* or *not*?

Some estates are enabled... i.e. Beechgrove, Tully, Glencove Manor, Cathedral Walk... others don't seem to be...

I guess the only solution is to to move in to an estate that's enabled :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

It was suppose to be "not". It's still early :<

I just checked with my friend who lives in Tully and he is enabled. But my other friend who is living in Killyconnigan isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

There was some discussion of the eircom supplied ADSL2 (up to 24Mbps) ZyXEL D1000 router earlier in this thread. Does anybody know how to get a user manual for the D1000 router or know on which ZyXEL router the D1000 is based?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Modem is a Zyxel VMG8324 B10A. its a dog to configure. trying to get loopback to work in an Office environment but no joy, need this feature . Will have to replace it. Anyone know of a VDSL alternative modem?

Userguide attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/co44g7vr1g4sy56/VMG8324-B10A-B30A-Series_UG_V1-0_Ed1_2013-05-17-2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

pg17 wrote: »
    There was some discussion of the eircom supplied ZyXEL D1000 router earlier in this thread. Does anybody know how to get a user manual for the D1000 router or know on which ZyXEL router the D1000 is based?

The D1000 is an ADSL2 modem for use with the "up to 24Mb packages".

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

sorry, didnt realise there was a new one for the 'up to 24mb' packages. F10000 is the Fibre/VDSL one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Anyone hear anything in Newbridge yet , Cabinet is in place maybe 6 weeks ,

We are showing up as July to September for the Roll out on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Hey there guys, i am a bit confused here so it would be great if someone could tell me the right answer. :/
    The area i am in (athlone -roslevin) exchange is supposed to go live on July to Sept '13 but whenever i check their online availability it says, Fibre is coming to your area: Oct to Dec 2013.? Now which one am i supposed to believe here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Hey there guys, i am a bit confused here so it would be great if someone could tell me the right answer. :/
    The area i am in (athlone -roslevin) exchange is supposed to go live on July to Sept '13 but whenever i check their online availability it says, Fibre is coming to your area: Oct to Dec 2013.? Now which one am i supposed to believe here?

Neither. Just check back with the online checker and if it says you can order fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Finally looks like there could be Fibre in Meath soon, Dunshaughlin and Ratoath are down for October-December 2013, have to say this can't come soon enough. Hopefully they will install the cabinets at various locations around that those of us up to 2 to 3km away from Dunshaughlin or Ratoath can enjoy increased speeds, not just the people living in the built up areas of both towns/villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Looks like they have started work on the foxrock exchange. Pic taken from bus going by the churchDSC_0324.jpgIs that ducting or actual Fiber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Gonzo wrote: »
    Finally looks like there could be Fibre in Meath soon, Dunshaughlin and Ratoath are down for October-December 2013, have to say this can't come soon enough. Hopefully they will install the cabinets at various locations around that those of us up to 2 to 3km away from Dunshaughlin or Ratoath can enjoy increased speeds, not just the people living in the built up areas of both towns/villages.

Don't get too excited. I'm in Ashbourne and I haven't seen a cabinet yet, but someone on here mentioned there's one on the Rathoath Road near the Ratoath-Ashbourne-Swords-Dublin roundabout. I'll have to take a trip down that way and witness it for myself.

curryman wrote: »
    Looks like they have started work on the foxrock exchange. Pic taken from bus going by the churchDSC_0324.jpgIs that ducting or actual Fiber

That is sub ducting. The fibre would be in green on a small spindle like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

bloodyhawk wrote: »

That is the exact same thing I'm seeing with my own line in Glanmire. I think "coming probably at some stage before Christmas maybe if your line is ok and if the cabinet is alright then probably yeah" would be more accurate.

I'm keeping an eye on the cabinet at the entrance to my estate. Once it gets its little yellow sticker I'll assume I'm within a month of getting fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

red_bairn wrote: »
    That is sub ducting. The fibre would be in green on a small spindle like this.

Looks like fibre to me. I've been told alright by Eircom tech friends that they're putting in sub-duct in places and blowing in the fibre after but this looks the same as KN were pulling in in Ballinasloe yesterday...
    260661.JPG

260749.JPG

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd a few different types of fibre laying systems in use. Not every circumstance is going to be the same.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Looks like fibre to me. I've been told alright by Eircom tech friends that they're putting in sub-duct in places and blowing in the fibre after but this looks the same as KN were pulling in in Ballinasloe yesterday...
    260749.JPG

See your picture says 14/10MM - It's the ducting where the fibre cables go through. See this document on page 4 & 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Langer wrote: »
    Anyone know of a VDSL alternative modem?
    Maybe check these out. I have only heard good things about them and from digging around it seems that what you need is supported in current versions (older versions didn't, requiring firmware update).

This is actually the standard modem my new provider uses, but I'm still waiting for it to be posted out to me.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Maybe check these out. I have only heard good things about them and from digging around it seems that what you need is supported in current versions (older versions didn't, requiring firmware update).

This is actually the standard modem my new provider uses, but I'm still waiting for it to be posted out to me.

Digiweb use one of those as standard for VDSL2 here too.

If you're on eircom branded e-fibre though will they even give you the modem settings if you're using your own vectoring-compatible modem?

Advertisement