Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Just noticed an Eircom van at my local cab in Longford town. Appears to have been commissioned. It has the yellow sticker which I believe means it's ready to go.

Lets hope it's all go now for a July launch... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Mine is still sitting there sticker-free. I'm not sure what the hold up is.

It appears to be powered up and the fibre was connected to it in April.

I was a bit stupid to fall for the 'coming soon' claptrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sticker on mine for a while now and still nothing.Spotted the contractors and ESB in the area yesterday so hopefully they might do something considering they were in a panic to get them up and running in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

SpaceTime wrote: »

I am in an area that has been "live" since may 20th and have been told my cab will be switched on the 12th of July my address has been showing live on the checker for the last month the cab has no sticker and nobody will connect me before the 12th
    I think that blows all the rumours :pout of the water

SpaceTime wrote: »

Well the cab I mentioned above sat idle for months after the cable was layed and the fibre blown. I look every time I pass it and the esb only got hooked up in the last couple of days, followed by the rest of the work to finish it today so you might not be waiting much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Our area(Lusk) is down as going live July to Sept and i noticed in the last couple of days that my nearest cabinet has got its yellow sticker fingers crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Well the cab I mentioned above sat idle for months after the cable was layed and the fibre blown. I look every time I pass it and the esb only got hooked up in the last couple of days, followed by the rest of the work to finish it today so you might not be waiting much longer.

Our cabinet has everything done to it but I didn't see the fibre blown (somebody told me it has been). I'm just waiting for my birthday sticker. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Does anyone know if distance to the cabinet matters? Some say it does others say no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

martin_g wrote: »
    Does anyone know if distance to the cabinet matters? Some say it does others say no?

Anything over 1km of line length from cab the speed drops off drastically. You want to be within a few hundred meters of it to get the most out of it.

Ah right crap think I am 1km - 1.2km from cabinet roughly )-:Not Good !!

• Advertisement

Hmm according to Google maps walking distance is 700 meters, here is hoping.

I would love to know what the hold up with our local cabinet is.

BTW, saw an eircom cabinet open this morning being worked on and it was just a complete jumble of grey and white twisted pairs.

I have no idea how they find the wires. It was a new looking box but the wires looked very old.

I've seen other cabinets that looked a lot better organised!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

My area (Loughrea) is due to go live between July-Sept but I'm not seeing any new cabinets at all, they're all the old ones.

I'm guessing I could be waiting a lot longer then given that many people have seen them installed for months and still no action.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Thegarlad

Is this one of the new cabinets, saw this in Ashbourne today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thegarlad wrote: »
    No, That's one of the standard copper wire cabinets. The vdsl (fibre) cabinet is smaller but usually beside this cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

What estate is that in? It's an old one anyway. If you look around Google Maps in Ashbourne, you'll see those cabinets everywhere in photos as old as april 2009. I think those cabinets have been around since 2002.

This is a fiber cabinet on the right:
    f1ihxu.jpg

jca wrote: »
    No, That's one of the standard copper wire cabinets. The vdsl (fibre) cabinet is smaller but usually beside this cabinet.

Thanks, will keep looking out so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What estate is that in?
    Looks like it's outside Corks on the Milltown Rd.

Looks like it alright. Thanks.

That's the one

• Advertisement

That's the one

Apparently there's a VDSL Cabinet on the Ratoath Road near the Nine Mile Stone. I'm going that way tomorrow to see if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Apparently there's a VDSL Cabinet on the Ratoath Road near the Nine Mile Stone. I'm going that way tomorrow to see if it's true.

Would that be a class two relic?

Has anyone heard anything about a possible start date for the next stage of the rollout. Longford is showing up as available on the coverage map, the 3 cabs between my home and work have been commissioned and I remember seeing that we were supposed to be in the July to September group.

Getting anxious now knowing its so close...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Finally got an install date, Monday week. Modem is in the post. Nearly there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Found this NGA deployment plan up on the Eircom wholesale site. Not sure how accurate it is though..

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=1673

lockup35 wrote: »
    Found this NGA deployment plan up on the Eircom wholesale site. Not sure how accurate it is though..

Yeah, I was sent the Greystones/Newtownmountkennedy/Kilcoole list.

Greystones still has no cabinets commissioned. Aug 2013 seems about right for a launch.

Nice find.

The Cork Central one is weird. What does direct fed cabinets mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

lockup35 wrote: »

Where the hell has this spreadsheet been hiding?!:eek: This is a great find!

Time to get mapping the remaining cabs and mark the ones that are commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Morrisseyy

My cab is due to go live this month according to that spreadsheet. Saw July 12th mentioned as a date for the next "batch" to go live, any source on that?

• Advertisement

Morrisseyy wrote: »
    My cab is due to go live this month according to that spreadsheet. Saw July 12th mentioned as a date for the next "batch" to go live, any source on that?

That date was mentioned for cabinets in Drogheda but I'm not sure if other counties were mentioned.

Advertisement