Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

iMuse wrote: »
    Any further word on when Phase 1 is going live?

Seems to have come to a full stop in Letterkenny. Must be the bloody rain. Then again when you read through some of the posts on these forums dear old eircom just don't get the message. If UPC can fibre up Carlow they can fibre up anywhere the costly lifeless MANS are already in situ... If they want to that is!!! It's all a bit of a sick joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

PeadarB wrote: »
    If UPC can fibre up Carlow they can fibre up anywhere the costly lifeless MANS are already in situ... If they want to that is!!! It's all a bit of a sick joke really.

Don't UPC use the MANs for backhaul though?

http://www.e-net.ie/

The MANs weren't designed for direct connection to residential premises.

Onikage wrote: »

Possible so but this link seems to contradict this.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20Gets%20Its%20Man%20-%20V4.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Praetorian wrote: »
    I walked around my estate to find my cabinet. It's about 200 metres away on foot. Maybe 400-500 metres via road. I don't think there is a map available with the cabinets. At least not publicly available. Eircom would have one :)

Sorry, is there any way to identify them vs. ESB cabinets? There's a small powerplant just down from us, resulting in hundreds of ESB boxes around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jolsen wrote: »
    Personally I think people need to forget about hoping Eircom will upgrade anything. Eircom are broke and can't be relied on for anything.

The ESB should be rolling out nationwide FTTC/FTTH, they already have some dark fibre in place so it's not asking anything more of them that they can't manage. The state would own the network and with ISP's renting it will eventually pay for itself. I'd be confident 96% of properties in Ireland could have FTTc/FTTH delivered for under 2 billion.

I don't see much value for money in the tax I pay, if there was a proper nationwide broadband plan I wouldn't mind as much the high rates I have to pay. I would at least could see where it's going.

Eircom has sub-contracted the fibre rollout to KN Networks. So wherever you see their vans at work on Eircom lines, its happy days for the locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So nothing I can do even though I used to able to get 3mb?
    Complain. lots. Your exchange is a possible Vdsl candidate.

How/who do I complain to. Is it necessary to go through their broadband support first so they attempt to resolve my issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

jolsen wrote: »
    I'd be confident 96% of properties in Ireland could have FTTc/FTTH delivered for under 2 billion..

Just curious - what do you base the 2 billion figure on?

Possible so but this link seems to contradict this.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20Gets%20Its%20Man%20-%20V4.pdf

Actually, that link confirms it. UPC are using the MANs in those towns to provide backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Don't UPC use the MANs for backhaul though?

http://www.e-net.ie/

No they were not, and remember they are only using the MAN for a small part of that backhaul. The MAN itself does not extend beyond the town - backhaul interconnects with other carriers are required.

Actually, that link confirms it. UPC are using the MANs in those towns to provide backhaul.

Onikage, I'm not a technician so I don't pretend to be very savvy on this subject. If UPC can utilise the MAN in the likes of Carlow and Sligo to provide the "goodies," surely they or any other provider can use the same MAN's in the likes of Letterkenny or any of the other MANned towns to do the same.
    I'm in the lucky position where, at some time in the future, to be decided by the powers that be in eircom, I'll be connected to that shiny new olive green cabinet 250 metres from my house.
    Being somewhat impatient, my only question really is, when will this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MrO wrote: »
    Just curious - what do you base the 2 billion figure on?

The figure might have come from me!!

I did some back of envelope calculations a few years ago and posted the details on boards, literally within a week, politicians, journalists and high paid "broadband" consultants were repeating the figure in their reports. :rolleyes:

The figure seems to have stuck ever since, however now I'd guess it could be done for even cheaper, closer to 1.5b.

The figure was based on the number of homes in Ireland x the average cost of laying fibre to a house reported by other telcos in Europe x 40% extra for sure we are Irish, everything has to be more expensive!!
    Onikage, I'm not a technician so I don't pretend to be very savvy on this subject. If UPC can utilise the MAN in the likes of Carlow and Sligo to provide the "goodies," surely they or any other provider can use the same MAN's in the likes of Letterkenny or any of the other MANned towns to do the same.

Remember a MAN only circles a town or city, it doesn't supply backhaul from the town back to Dublin.

So typically it seems UPC won't use Eircom for national backhaul, the MAN has to be connected to something like the ESB, Board Gais or BT fibre network for national backhaul before they would consider using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

Just giving an an update, There are currently eircom and KN vans littering the sides of the roads here in Castlebar. The guy are feeding lengths of cable into the ducts so I can only assume its fibre. So at least they are continuing with phase two even in phase one still isn't complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen plenty of KN activity around Bray too. It looks to be a pretty quick job too, there was a crew just starting work feeding cable into the ducts on the Herbert Road in Bray just outside my estate, and an hour later they were gone already. I've also seen them on the Southern Cross road.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

there doin droghead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Good to hear that work has begun on Drogheda and Castlebar. When I saw the K&N guys working in Belcamp I meant to stop & ask them were they rolling out fibre for the phase 2, but by the time I went out they were already gone. It's possible they were doing something else for Eircom or for UPC.

If you see any works happening. Ask them what they're doing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Any ideas when Phase 3 will be announced as I am hoping Dundalk will be on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bk wrote: »
    The figure might have come from me!!

I did some back of envelope calculations a few years ago and posted the details on boards, literally within a week, politicians, journalists and high paid "broadband" consultants were repeating the figure in their reports. :rolleyes:

The figure seems to have stuck ever since, however now I'd guess it could be done for even cheaper, closer to 1.5b.

I'd agree that it has dropped.

There are 2m homes ( not all occupied) and you could fibre the lot at around €2bn-€2.5bn

If you fibre the most densely packed 1.5m homes only you would get it done for c. €1000 per premises and would get into rural areas closely packed around big towns and cities at that.

The remaining 500k homes are rural or very rural and rather dispersed.

The excellent FTTH Council revisits figures periodically

http://www.ftthcouncil.eu/

I particularly recommend these case studies.

http://www.ftthcouncil.eu/resources?category_id=2

You will be slit trenching on boreens and residential streets and you will be ducting on large aggregations, main roads and between towns.

bk wrote: »
    Remember a MAN only circles a town or city, it doesn't supply backhaul from the town back to Dublin.

So typically it seems UPC won't use Eircom for national backhaul, the MAN has to be connected to something like the ESB, Board Gais or BT fibre network for national backhaul before they would consider using it.

Exactly. The MANs, stupid as they are, are the closest thing we have to an open network. Just bring your own last mile access and international backhaul and you're ready to go :rolleyes:

Somehow I think if we gave the government 2 billion to build a nationwide fibre network they'd end up building a second set of faster MANs circling around the first ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Salvation wrote: »
    Any ideas when Phase 3 will be announced as I am hoping Dundalk will be on it.

They havent even completed phase 1 yet so phase 3 could be a while.

Exactly. The MANs, stupid as they are, are the closest thing we have to an open network. Just bring your own last mile access and international backhaul and you're ready to go :rolleyes:

Something like - http://www.esbtelecoms.ie/infrastructure/national_fibre_network_and_MAN.htm

- for backhaul for Letterkenny.

UPC where are you... we're waitin'... and waitin'... and waitin'... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'd agree that it has dropped.

There are 2m homes ( not all occupied) and you could fibre the lot at around €2bn-€2.5bn

If you fibre the most densely packed 1.5m homes only you would get it done for c. €1000 per premises and would get into rural areas closely packed around big towns and cities at that.

The remaining 500k homes are rural or very rural and rather dispersed.

The excellent FTTH Council revisits figures periodically

http://www.ftthcouncil.eu/

I particularly recommend these case studies.

http://www.ftthcouncil.eu/resources?category_id=2

You will be slit trenching on boreens and residential streets and you will be ducting on large aggregations, main roads and between towns.
    i would gladly pay 1000euro to have my house fibre connected( im right beside a large town, i.e. 3-4 mins drive from the centre ) just to make it easier for me to work. I realise its an average, but still if the option was there i would take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 imindoubth

Is it possible to get fibre optic anywhere in wexford? I had a look on magnets site but under wexford it just says new and has no list of estates? Is it up and running down there? Is there a list of estates what have fibre? Iv been loosely monitoring the wexford fibre situation for a while now and to my knowledge it still is not up and running? Please someone tell me im wrong and post a list of places in wexford were one can get mega speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

imindoubth wrote: »
    Is it possible to get fibre optic anywhere in wexford? I had a look on magnets site but under wexford it just says new and has no list of estates? Is it up and running down there? Is there a list of estates what have fibre? Iv been loosely monitoring the wexford fibre situation for a while now and to my knowledge it still is not up and running? Please someone tell me im wrong and post a list of places in wexford were one can get mega speeds.

Map on the Eircom site here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭irishgeo

leigh852 wrote: »
    Just giving an an update, There are currently eircom and KN vans littering the sides of the roads here in Castlebar. The guy are feeding lengths of cable into the ducts so I can only assume its fibre. So at least they are continuing with phase two even in phase one still isn't complete.

sadly they have not made it out the westport road to my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eircom workers feeding fibre cable into ducts in Enniscorthy today,much to my dismay they are only connecting the fibre to AIB Bank.Eircom have a building roughly 500mts away which I'm sure could service the whole town but that's not gonna happen.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

irishgeo wrote: »
    sadly they have not made it out the westport road to my house.

Oh, I seen them at the Westport road about 100meters from the roundabout about 3 weeks ago. It was the KN contractors again but didn't see them feeding cable this time so maybe they were just doing works. I really do hope they come out the Westport road with it. I am getting 9mb on the 24mb NGB package which I know is a hell of a lot more than what most people can get but im being greedy here. I was living in Sligo for the last 3 years and got very used to having a constant 50mb on the 50mb package with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

zerks wrote: »
    Eircom workers feeding fibre cable into ducts in Enniscorthy today,much to my dismay they are only connecting the fibre to AIB Bank.(

Entire AIB branch network being upgraded (if not already done so) as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭irishgeo

leigh852 wrote: »
    Oh, I seen them at the Westport road about 100meters from the roundabout about 3 weeks ago. It was the KN contractors again but didn't see them feeding cable this time so maybe they were just doing works. I really do hope they come out the Westport road with it. I am getting 9mb on the 24mb NGB package which I know is a hell of a lot more than what most people can get but im being greedy here. I was living in Sligo for the last 3 years and got very used to having a constant 50mb on the 50mb package with UPC.

they would want to go more than a 100 meters out the road.

only get 5 meg out in manor village.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snr3

imindoubth wrote: »

Yes u are wrong, and im sure ull be happy about it ;p
    It is working and its working very good. On highest package ur getting like 145/28 and pings to dublin <5 and <15 to england, ~30-40 to continental europe. No packet lost or whatsoever. All of that tested at Clonard Village. Just tell me where u lve and ill answer if u can get it. The only thing about it wich im not happy with its the crappy thomson router ur getting with it and specially only 1 gigabit port on it (rest are up to 100mb) so if u plan to use all 150 on more than one equipment ull need to buy a switch or smtng or change router to a better one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I was talking to an Eircom engineer and the Belcamp exchange (a phase 2 exchange) has most of the fibre run by k&N already. He mentioned there is massive push to get it completed. Sounds good to me!

Advertisement