Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

For anyone that missed the spreadsheet as it seems to have been removed for eircom site it can be found <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

claytonie wrote: »
    For anyone that missed the spreadsheet as it seems to have been removed for eircom site it can be found <snip>

Hehe. They be watching. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

red_bairn wrote: »
    Hehe. They be watching. :D
    Pity they wouldn't post a few "going live dates" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's a bit silly of them to put stuff like that up on the internet if they don't want to publish it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That spreadsheet listed shows only 4 cabinets on Cork Central, none of which are in the city centre at all. There's a note about direct fed cabinets.

I think the city centre is entirely done underground. They're are loads of vaults in the streets at various locations. Really quite big vaults. In some cases 6 or even 8 lids in the pavement.

I'm just wondering if they can do a FTTC cabinet and do the splicing in those vaults rather than in a cabinet.

Installing cabinets in some of those locations wouldn't be too attractive looking and probably very disruptive to telephone services in the middle of a busy business district.

There's a FTTC cabinet in Douglas on the main street which is just beside a big vault like that and appears to have no corresponding PCP cabinet, so I'm guessing it can be done.

There's nothing particularly amazing about a PCP cabinet. They're just junction boxes. I would assume a similar setup is achieved using different gear in those vaults.

In Limerick they have started to install copper and fibre cabs for the direct feeds.

My guess woukd be the vaults ( chamber) wouldn't be dry enough to have the port blocks installed there so they must be doing copper cabs.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    In Limerick they have started to install copper and fibre cabs for the direct feeds.

My guess woukd be the vaults ( chamber) wouldn't be dry enough to have the port blocks installed there so they must be doing copper cabs.

I'm sure it could be done with the right gear. I mean they must cross connect cables in this chambers as it is without problems.
    Maybe a cabinet is more practical though.

My concern with the new cabinets in Cork Central would be that many of those areas are prone to annual flooding during certain combinations of high tide and a wind at a particular direction forcing water up the harbour towards the city.

. Especially around the Quays, Oliver plunket street, and the South Terrace area etc

I'm not sure a FTTC cabinet would withstand a few hours submerged in the Lee.

I assume whatever gear is underground is capable of dealing with water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jca wrote: »
    Pity they wouldn't post a few "going live dates" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They could also fix the markers that are all over the place too...galway in wexford and lots out in the sea...

I'm sure it could be done with the right gear. I mean they must cross connect cables in this chambers as it is without problems.
    Maybe a cabinet is more practical though.

I would think the cables are sealed from moisture, there's the added H&S issues/risk with techs having to go into the chambers.
    My concern with the new cabinets in Cork Central would be that many of those areas are prone to annual flooding during certain combinations of high tide and a wind at a particular direction forcing water up the harbour towards the city.

. Especially around the Quays, Oliver plunket street, and the South Terrace area etc

I'm not sure a FTTC cabinet would withstand a few hours submerged in the Lee.

I assume whatever gear is underground is capable of dealing with water

Flooding may be an issue but I can't see what they use in the copper cabs being able to withstand the moisture in the chamber let alone water if the place flood, some hope overground none underground.

I just hope they site any cabinets out of flood risk areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I just hope they site any cabinets out of flood risk areas.
    Doing that would surely rule out VDSL or reduce the available speed for many would be subscribers in flood risk areas?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Doing that would surely rule out VDSL or reduce the available speed for many would be subscribers in flood risk areas?

Not really, in most cases it just means putting it a few feet higher up on a less low lying street or on a pedestal.

In Cork City centre its litterally specific bits of specific streets that are prone, not the whole area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Monaghan fiber due to go live on July 24th according to Vodafone..

both vodafone & eircom line checkers say it's available now, but it's not... still another 2 weeks ago :(

claytonie wrote: »
    For anyone that missed the spreadsheet as it seems to have been removed for eircom site it can be found <snip>.

Is this link gone now too? not working for me anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

smemon wrote: »
    Monaghan fiber due to go live on July 24th according to Vodafone..

both vodafone & eircom line checkers say it's available now, but it's not... still another 2 weeks ago :(

Thanks for the update.

I haven't heard anything from either eircom or Voda regarding Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Thanks for the update.

I haven't heard anything from either eircom or Voda regarding Monaghan

Neighbour got a call from eircom about it and told me they said they'll send someone out at the end of the month... i'm with Vodafone, signed up to their mailing list and haven't heard anything so rang them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Right, finally got a bill here with the new account number (didn't know that would be changing when going to eFibre...), but it still won't accept the details on My Eircom (now empty because the old account number disappeared into the depths). That and you get an extra 38 euro charge when you switch over your home phone it seems, because the modem was free but I was service charged for eTalk and eFibre as well as my bundle. Handlin and a half, and I ain't even in the damn house because I'm at the parents house for work over the summer. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Right, finally got a bill here with the new account number (didn't know that would be changing when going to eFibre...), but it still won't accept the details on My Eircom (now empty because the old account number disappeared into the depths). That and you get an extra 38 euro charge when you switch over your home phone it seems, because the modem was free but I was service charged for eTalk and eFibre as well as my bundle. Handlin and a half, and I ain't even in the damn house because I'm at the parents house for work over the summer. :mad:

So much for a free upgrade then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

smemon wrote: »
    Neighbour got a call from eircom about it and told me they said they'll send someone out at the end of the month... i'm with Vodafone, signed up to their mailing list and haven't heard anything so rang them today.

Hi folks - the Vodafone forum here on boards can help too....

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

Just if youre wondering when fibre etc will be live in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Thegarlad

I see KN networks working near the cabinet beside Corks in Ashbourne today, are they working for Eircom does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

We had an engineer out today to fix a problem with our line and he was able tell us the situation about efibre. For anyone that has been calling eircom, don't bother. They don't know jack. The engineer was able to tell us everything.

Basically we live on private lane surrounded by three housing estates. Two of the housing estates were put on one cabinet. This just happens to be the one we are closest too as well. Since the housing estates seem to have first pick, we were put a cabinet that is over 1km away.

The engineer basically said that all he had to do flip a few wires around at the bottom of the lane and we would be sorted (put on another cabinet). The problem is that he isn't allowed to do that (which I knew anyway) and it has to be approved by efibre guys.

So if you can see a cabinet outside your front door but can't get efibre, chances are you're on a cabinet that's over 1km away because eircom can't hire competent staff.

• Advertisement

Manc Red wrote: »
    We had an engineer out today to fix a problem with our line and he was able tell us the situation about efibre. For anyone that has been calling eircom, don't bother. They don't know jack. The engineer was able to tell us everything.

Basically we live on private lane surrounded by three housing estates. Two of the housing estates were put on one cabinet. This just happens to be the one we are closest too as well. Since the housing estates seem to have first pick, we were put a cabinet that is over 1km away.

The engineer basically said that all he had to do flip a few wires around at the bottom of the lane and we would be sorted (put on another cabinet). The problem is that he isn't allowed to do that (which I knew anyway) and it has to be approved by efibre guys.

So if you can see a cabinet outside your front door but can't get efibre, chances are you're on a cabinet that's over 1km away because eircom can't hire competent staff.

oh whoa...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Thegarlad

Thegarlad wrote: »
    I see KN networks working near the cabinet beside Corks in Ashbourne today, are they working for Eircom does anyone know

To answer my own question they are, got talking to the lads there and they said they are doing efibre and it will be a couple of months before all done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Manc Red wrote: »

I don't think its as easy as "flipping a few wires". Surely if you got your line moved to another cabinet you'd lose your number:confused: I think the only way to get your line moved is to cancel your existing number(line) and order a new number and hope the new number is via the nearest cabinet. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Your number is provided by the exchange. All the cabinets' copper wiring ends up back at the exchange. Voice services are still provided by the old exchange, not by the cabinet independently. It only provides broadband.

They're could be a situation where wiring from two different cabinets ends up being on the same street. So in some circumstances by changing a few connections on a pole or in an underground chamber they'd possibly be able to select a line fed by another cabinet.

They'd then have to connect that to your line card in the exchange or assign your number to a different card and reassign your kind to the new cabinet so they could provision VDSL

It's probably an unusual circumstance though. I should say in most cases, they wouldn't have options of picking an alternative cabinet.

Effectively, they'd be swapping you to another copper path back to the exchange via a different cabinet.

I would say the complication is that it's potentially a lot of work and would require technicians to move your line around at the exchange and update various databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Update on Arklow
    Phone call last night to confirm time .
    Arrived on time this morning and installation went fine.

speed before and after:

262109.jpg

2829562364.png

Happy enough with speed as my netgear dgn2000 modem had just died

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Seriously jonsing for this rollout in my area, I'm with Magnet who tell me it's reliant on the Eircom rollout obviously.

I can see all the housing estates around me coming online, I'm in a little apartment complex in Donabate village. Coming from 150mb in my old residence to 24mb ADSL here has been a pain the hole, I need to get back into the 21st century :(

CH3OH wrote: »
    Update on Arklow

speed before and after:

262109.jpg

2829562364.png

Your before stats are pretty much identical to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CH3OH wrote: »
    Update on Arklow

speed before and after:

262109.jpg

2829562364.png

Whereabouts in Arklow are you? I'm in Arklow with cabinets in my estate but not yet enabled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My ma was talking to an Eircom engineer yesterday in her work who said that Carlow is going live tomorrow. (12th) Also, if any of you live in Carlow you'd know that there was no electricity in most of the county yesterday, well according to this engineer that was an issue that occurred while laying or activating the fibre. Not sure really. But hopefully tomorrow will be the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If anybody wants a copy of the missing spreadsheet, drop me a PM with an email address.

Advertisement