Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well the FTTC cabinet is in so long there's that ivy growing on it and it hasn't been commissioned. Whole rest of the area is live and it apparently has fibre and power connected.

I think they just don't care because there are only maybe 80 homes connected to it and a lot of UPC. We're usually low priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Got a call from Eircom rep this morning offering free upgrade to 24 Meg. When I pointed out that my line can only handle 5 she did a test and agreed. But she did say they would reduce the price of my package by €10. She was clueless about Fibre, mixing up Dundalk with Drogheda. But she said the best thing to do was ring 1901 in July to check eventhough the previous rep took my details for me to be contacted when it is available.

I rang today and they have nothing more definite for Dundalk than July to Sept. Just by coincidence earlier I saw KN guys working at the cabinet in Patrick St (just round the corner from Market Fresh, is that one on the map?). I asked when Dundalk was going live and he said around end of August.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

My cabinet (Stameen Cab on the Dublin Road in Drogheda) finally went live today (yellow sticker added to it yesterday) and I rang and got an install date at last. I reckon anyone who was told July for going live should be able to order from today

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

Hi,

I just wanted to know about fibre availability around Manor Village area in Tralee, Co. Kerry. The exchange near the Manor Village area (Killerisk exchange / Killerisk AEH) is on the map from the Eircom eFibre website and on the NGN Access website (NGA Coverage Map). The Killerisk exchange is also highlighted on the map from the NGA coverage map ("Fibre Build Commenced" ticked) with an estimated date of 12 July and on the eFibre website, the service will launch between July and September 2013 in the Manor Village area of Tralee.
    • Does anyone know if the engineers would build fibre cabinets around Manor area in Tralee to get full 70Mbps speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

Hi,

I just wanted to know about fibre availability around Manor Village area in Tralee, Co. Kerry. The exchange near the Manor Village area (Killerisk exchange / Killerisk AEH) is on the map from the Eircom eFibre website and on the NGN Access website (NGA Coverage Map). The Killerisk exchange is also highlighted on the map from the NGA coverage map ("Fibre Build Commenced" ticked) with an estimated date of 12 July and on the eFibre website, the service will launch between July and September 2013 in the Manor Village area of Tralee.
    • Does anyone know if the engineers would build fibre cabinets around Manor area in Tralee to get full 70Mbps speed?

Check out <snip>, looks like killerisk has fibre cabs in place, looks like they have been commissioned and ready to order since may.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there a list anywhere comparing NGB enabled exchanges with the planned NGA exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Hi,

I confidently believe that neither Eircom or Vodafone have a clue what's pending. Southwest of Blennerville & I would guess almost 2km beyond Tonavane Cross is mapped by Eircom as "eFibre now available". As far as I'm aware furthest south-westerly cab from Tralee or Kilerisk exchanges is in Blennerville. Yet they show coverage as far west as Derryquay. Unless they are using some sort of mojo, can't see how they are going to get eFibre that far without cabs (in an area that's supposed to be already enabled). Vodafone's line line check tells me "Your line can support
    Our fastest speed - up to 70Mb!" Yet Vodafone CS says no, your line is only good for 1MB.
    Someone somewhere must have a plan:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mark Spilane

Can Comreg help if Eircom wont give you Fibre, yet everyone else in your area, bar one other house two doors away, nearer and farther from the exchange than you can get it.
    They even confirmed that all are on the same cabinet.
    But they just keep saying, "your line is not suitable".

The other neighbor who cant get it either already ordered a second line and had it installed, on the advice of Eircom, so now has 2 lines and that second line cant get it either now.

Surely they should be compelled to fix the lines if all other customers can get fibre from that cabinet. Obviously there are 2 lines in the area that are not up to carrying fibre from the cabinet into the houses, but all other lines into the houses can.

Eircom wont help here, so will COMREG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Can Comreg help if Eircom wont give you Fibre, yet everyone else in your area,
    Eircom wont help here, so will COMREG.

Man I nearly coughed out my all coffee over my screen reading that...

Comreg help? buhahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bealtine wrote: »
    Man I nearly coughed out my all coffee over my screen reading that...

Comreg help? buhahahahahaha

Dad knows the Vodafone exec that is now working for them. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Finally got it installed
    2838212615.png

A little disappointed with the upload (I realise it's still a great upload speed but was hoping for closer to the 20) but the download is very impressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

SickBoy wrote: »
    Finally got it installed
    2838212615.png

A little disappointed with the upload (I realise it's still a great upload speed but was hoping for closer to the 20) but the download is very impressive :D

Is that ping normally like that, fairly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Nolars wrote: »
    Is that ping normally like that, fairly high.

Not something I paid much attention to in the past to be honest. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it improves. What should I be expecting latency wise?

SickBoy wrote: »
    Not something I paid much attention to in the past to be honest. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it improves. What should I be expecting latency wise?

I think there has only been 5-10ms drops. You would see better drops with FTTH. Wait for the machinery to do the work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

at last, got it installed today. This is my speed over a wireless connection.

2838406206.png

Fairly happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

dubmick wrote: »
    at last, got it installed today. This is my speed over a wireless connection.

2838406206.png

Fairly happy with that.

Looks awesome!

Do you know your distance from the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i noticed yellow stickers on our local cabinets in last few days, does this mean they are going live very soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

2840251566.png

Getting a much better upload than download for some reason??:confused:

My order (or pre-order) is now in, but there's no sign of any progress on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

joe_99 wrote: »
    2840251566.png

Getting a much better upload than download for some reason??:confused:
    WiFi or wired?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

TheChizler wrote: »
    WiFi or wired?

Wired

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

joe_99 wrote: »
    Wired
    Weird.

Try a different server or speed test service? Make sure you're the only one connected to the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Is there a list anywhere comparing NGB enabled exchanges with the planned NGA exchanges?

Here is list again for anyone that missed it

<snip>

claytonie wrote: »
    Here is list again for anyone that missed it

<snip>

Am I missing something?
    I don't see a comparison of NGB & NGA exchanges ..... these bloody complicated files ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Why the snip?

murphaph wrote: »
    Why the snip?

Clearly Eircom don't want this kind of information up online for all to see because they'll get complaints about why such n' such cabinet isn't ready according to X spreadsheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

red_bairn wrote: »
    Clearly Eircom don't want this kind of information up online for all to see because they'll get complaints about why such n' such cabinet isn't ready according to X spreadsheet.

That is sufficient reason for it to be cut out?

Am I missing something?
    I don't see a comparison of NGB & NGA exchanges ..... these bloody complicated files ..... :(

The complication is that some very small exchanges may be not on the NGN but the voice lines they serve could be connected to a NGA cabinet that's been rehomed to a bigger exchange. It's happened quite a bit with those tiny exchanges in housing estates and business parks.

Also to clarify the acronyms

NGN = the new next generation backbone
    NGA = the next generation fibre access network (efibre)
    NGB = traditional ADSL back hauled over the NGN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

.262971.JPG

Advertisement