Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That is sufficient reason for it to be cut out?

IP/copyright maybe? The data in that spreadsheet is their data after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

The link no longer works, has it moved to another URL or does somebody have a copy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The complication is that some very small exchanges may be not on the NGN but the voice lines they serve could be connected to a NGA cabinet that's been rehomed to a bigger exchange. It's happened quite a bit with those tiny exchanges in housing estates and business parks.

Also to clarify the acronyms

NGN = the new next generation backbone
    NGA = the next generation fibre access network (efibre)
    NGB = traditional ADSL back hauled over the NGN.

As I understand it

The NGB exchanges are connected to the fibre backbone
    The NGA exchanges get fibre cabinets from the (NGB enabled) exchange out closer to users.

Not all NGB exchanges are listed for NGA, so do not get fibre cabinets out from the exchange.

What I was trying to determine was the number and name of exchanges that have fibre in to them but no cabs due to be fitted bringing fibre out closer to the users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

As I understand it

The NGB exchanges are connected to the fibre backbone
    The NGA exchanges get fibre cabinets from the (NGB enabled) exchange out closer to users.

Not all NGB exchanges are listed for NGA, so do not get fibre cabinets out from the exchange.

What I was trying to determine was the number and name of exchanges that have fibre in to them but no cabs due to be fitted bringing fibre out closer to the users.

NGB just means "Next Generation Broadband" it's just quite simply ADSL2+ or ADSL that is connected to the Next Generation Network backbone.

Some smaller exchanges / more rural locations are still not on the NGN at all.

The difference is that the NGN has a huge amount of bandwidth where as the old backbone network system doesn't. So, if you're on an exchange not connected to the NGN, you get congestion at peak times.

----

NGN = The Next Generation Network : http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/

End user products:

NGB = ADSL/ADSL2+ from the exchange.
    NGA = Next Generation Access = eFibre etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riskybiscuit

I am on Main street, Castlebar and although efibre is available in the town it is not available to me.
    I was told by an Eircom rep that this is because I am too near the exchange.
    efibre is not available to customers connected directly to the exchange, only cabinets.
    I can't get any indication when this will be sorted out.
    Does anyone know why they can't provide efibre directly from the exchange?
    Apparently its not available in the centre of Westport either, only the outskirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Mark Spilane

I am on Main street, Castlebar and although efibre is available in the town it is not available to me.
    I was told by an Eircom rep that this is because I am too near the exchange.
    efibre is not available to customers connected directly to the exchange, only cabinets.
    I can't get any indication when this will be sorted out.
    Does anyone know why they can't provide efibre directly from the exchange?
    Apparently its not available in the centre of Westport either, only the outskirts.

They wont be providing it according to someone in Eircom I was talking to.
    If you are on a cab that is enabled now and you cant get it, then you will never be getting it. Also if you are not connected to a cab you will never be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riskybiscuit

According to Eircom's site efibre is available on my street but when I put in my phone number it tells me it's not available yet.

How can it not be available to businesses on the main street in the town?

What a sham!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

They wont be providing it according to someone in Eircom I was talking to.
    If you are on a cab that is enabled now and you cant get it, then you will never be getting it. Also if you are not connected to a cab you will never be getting it.

Whoa. I highly doubt it won't be possible but they most likely won't be in a rush to upgrade as soon as possible.

Do you mean if there is no fibre cabinet installed near him, he won't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

When live in an urban area close to an exchange, the exchange 'is' your cabinet.

Can't see why they can't offer it though, even before now.
    Surely the equipment in the exchange is currently doing what the gear in the cabs will be doing.

NGB just means "Next Generation Broadband" it's just quite simply ADSL2+ or ADSL that is connected to the Next Generation Network backbone.

Some smaller exchanges / more rural locations are still not on the NGN at all.

The difference is that the NGN has a huge amount of bandwidth where as the old backbone network system doesn't. So, if you're on an exchange not connected to the NGN, you get congestion at peak times.

----

NGN = The Next Generation Network : http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/

End user products:

NGB = ADSL/ADSL2+ from the exchange.
    NGA = Next Generation Access = eFibre etc.

The whole point of my original request about a comparison is to find out what exchanges are connected to the backbone via fibre but for which there are no plans to attach fibre cabinets.

NGB are connected by fibre to the backbone
    NGA will (additionally) have cabinets attached to bring fibre out of the exchange
    All NGA are naturally NGB.

Hence I seek a comparison list of the two.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    When live in an urban area close to an exchange, the exchange 'is' your cabinet.

Can't see why they can't offer it though, even before now.
    Surely the equipment in the exchange is currently doing what the gear in the cabs will be doing.

Yeah, I thought so too. I thought somebody already mentioned that on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

According to Eircom's site efibre is available on my street but when I put in my phone number it tells me it's not available yet.

How can it not be available to businesses on the main street in the town?

What a sham!

There are two new cabs in the mall that hopefully will serve main street and mountain view(where i am :P)

The whole point of my original request about a comparison is to find out what exchanges are connected to the backbone via fibre but for which there are no plans to attach fibre cabinets.

NGB are connected by fibre to the backbone
    NGA will (additionally) have cabinets attached to bring fibre out of the exchange
    All NGA are naturally NGB.

Hence I seek a comparison list of the two.

They're actually almost all connected by fibre. The older network is largely fibre too. There are however some very remote exchanges connected by microwave links.

The difference is that the NGN is an all-IP network and uses newer technology that allows you to transmit a huge amount more data along the same fibre routes. They've also added new fibre capacity too. The key thing though is that its an IP network.

They're progressively going to connect everything to the NGN at some stage.

There are loads of maps and info files on that www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie site that should give you more info.

'Fibre' is being used as a marketing term. The network has been using fibre since the 1980s. The issue is about capacity in routes. Old fibre routes were planned with ISDN and voice traffic in mind not ADSL.

They're actually almost all connected by fibre. The older network is largely fibre too. There are however some very remote exchanges connected by microwave links.

The difference is that the NGN is an all-IP network and uses newer technology that allows you to transmit a huge amount more data along the same fibre routes. They've also added new fibre capacity too. The key thing though is that its an IP network.

They're progressively going to connect everything to the NGN at some stage.

There are loads of maps and info files on that www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie site that should give you more info.

'Fibre' is being used as a marketing term. The network has been using fibre since the 1980s. The issue is about capacity in routes. Old fibre routes were planned with ISDN and voice traffic in mind not ADSL.

You do not appear to understand ....... all I am trying to find is a list of exchanges that are listed as NGB exchanges and are not on the list of exchanges for NGA.

It is that simple ....... and I have found nothing .....

Can you link me to such a list or alternatively two separate lists (NGB & NGA) so that I can compare them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Can you link me to such a list or alternatively two separate lists (NGB & NGA) so that I can compare them?

There's no such publicly available list...

bealtine wrote: »
    There's no such publicly available list...

Thank you.

I felt sure there must be ..... there are maps showing the NGB exchanges and others showing NGA, all phases so I expected there to be lists of the same information somewhere.

Bloody odd :(

You'd have to look up the link above and the phase list of the NGA rollout to compare specific exchanges.

They've a lot of generic public information on http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ of you go into the NGN core section you can pull up interactive maps showing all the NGN nodes.

Any of the other tables and information on this forum are being crowd sourced.

Any of the other tables and information on this forum are being crowd sourced.

Except for the ones that get a "<snip>"!

TheChizler wrote: »
    <snip>

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

That is sufficient reason for it to be cut out?

Internal company information with a classification rating is reason enough. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

It was not internal company information (operators like Digiweb etc received this as well).
    It was on Eircom Wholesale Website. Everybody could download. If them made mistake to put it there this is their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

domeld wrote: »
    It was not internal company information (operators like Digiweb etc received this as well).
    It was on Eircom Wholesale Website. Everybody could download. If them made mistake to put it there this is their problem.

I didn't see the shot before it was snipped, so I had assumed it might have been from an internal document.
    If it was on the Wholesale site - I don't see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mark Spilane

red_bairn wrote: »
    Whoa. I highly doubt it won't be possible but they most likely won't be in a rush to upgrade as soon as possible.

Do you mean if there is no fibre cabinet installed near him, he won't get it?

Even if he is on a fibre cabinet and his neighbors have it, if his line doesnt pass the test now, he wont ever get it. They wont be fixing bad lines that dont pass the test straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

domeld wrote: »

Lucky some really important internal information didn't leak so....right?

Even if he is on a fibre cabinet and his neighbors have it, if his line doesnt pass the test now, he wont ever get it. They wont be fixing bad lines that dont pass the test straight off.

The line from his house to the copper cabinet?

Haven't a few people on here been put on entirely new lines because the old one wasn't up to scratch?

Haven't a few people on here been put on entirely new lines because the old one wasn't up to scratch?

I'm quite sure somebody mentioned in the broadband section that they had problems getting efibre due to the line to the cabinet. I thought it was replaced but maybe it was just repaired. I don't know. Do we have any professionals out there in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

New drops from the road, not new lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Does anyone know when Enniscorthy is going live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

roast wrote: »
    I didn't see the shot before it was snipped, so I had assumed it might have been from an internal document.
    If it was on the Wholesale site - I don't see an issue.

Niamh from boards.ie asked me not to post any links to doc as Eircom had requested it.

In my eyes I don't think Eircom are worried about the information in it, I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that it made their customers more clued up about the project than they are. :D

Advertisement