Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Enniscorthy is going live?

Was told the other day that everything is ready and we should be getting switched over within a fortnight,I was told that certain areas were to be live in early June but it seems they decided to wait.Spotted a new cab opposite Maxol in Bellfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Was told the other day that everything is ready and we should be getting switched over within a fortnight,I was told that certain areas were to be live in early June but it seems they decided to wait.Spotted a new cab opposite Maxol in Bellfield.
    The cab at Maxol/Community workshop isn't powered yet and no sign of any work being done on the cabinet at the Vocational school. Any other cabs I know of around the area have a vdsl cabinet but its hard to tell if they're powered yet. What do the "commissioned" stickers look like? Is the sticker put on the original cabinet or the vdsl one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Could you map that please?

Details, as ever, here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

bealtine wrote: »
    Could you map that please?

Details, as ever, here:
    I mapped it already and put pics up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

The cab at Maxol/Community workshop isn't powered yet and no sign of any work being done on the cabinet at the Vocational school. Any other cabs I know of around the area have a vdsl cabinet but its hard to tell if they're powered yet. What do the "commissioned" stickers look like? Is the sticker put on the original cabinet or the vdsl one?

Basically the new cabinet will get a yellow sticker with some details when it's commissioned...

Could you map those cabinets please?

Details, as ever, here:

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    Basically the new cabinet will get a yellow sticker with some details when it's commissioned...

Could you map those cabinets please?

Details, as ever, here:
    Already mapped with pics posted on the Mapping thread. I labelled it County Wexford Community Workshop. Ha ha I've just noticed that Aldi has become J Donohoe BMW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

On the map at http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/ , some areas that were previously marked as planned for 2014 earlier this year, are now planned for Oct-Dec 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

The line checker seems to have been updated during the weekend.

NO Houses in Dunvale or Curragh Woods Estates in Douglas, Cork seem to be able to get eFibre. Might it be something due to the fact the cabinet at the entrance to curragh woods is quite old and cant be upgraded ?. It was on the list be be done but when ?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/nga-coverage very interest map with dates when exchanges will be live with fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

domeld wrote: »
    http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/nga-coverage very interest map with dates when exchanges will be live with fiber.

Pity they don't have information down to cabinet level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Noticed that the cab at Bridgemeadow has a yellow sticker with number 15 on it.Regarding the lack of a cab near the vocational school,that's due to a nimby kicking up a fuss,it will be put in but he's holding things up.

Noticed that the cab at Bridgemeadow has a yellow sticker with number 15 on it.Regarding the lack of a cab near the vocational school,that's due to a nimby kicking up a fuss,it will be put in but he's holding things up.

Some people have little to do. They'd probably be the first to complain that they can't get fibre!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That ESB network could really shake things up.

I hope we don't see a semi state blow a load of money on a technolgy that has been discredited elsewhere
    http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/broadband-over-powerline-more-hype-hope/2012-01-10

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Danny Boy wrote: »
    I hope we don't see a semi state blow a load of money on a technolgy that has been discredited elsewhere
    http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/broadband-over-powerline-more-hype-hope/2012-01-10

From reading the article on the Irish Times it looks like the ESB wants to rollout a fiber network rather than using BPL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_over_power_lines) which is known for reliability issues.

claytonie wrote: »
    From reading the article on the Irish Times it looks like the ESB wants to rollout a fiber network rather than using BPL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_over_power_lines) which is known for reliability issues.

I don't see how 400 million would deliver that? Maybe 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

anyone out the Moneen road in Castlebar get e-fibre yet?

Seem to be 2 cabs close to each other at the industrial Estate, and another out at breaffy village, but nothing in between to serve all the estates around Kilkenny cross, at least that I can find...

ESB already have fibre rolled out in their transmission network. Something like 10,000km of it.

They're planning to push fibre through their local ducts and attach it to overhead lines to access homes.

They already have access to everyone's home. They've big economies as they already own the routes and ducts and they've all the crews employed in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This will probably knock Eircom out of the water!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

SpaceTime wrote: »
    ESB already have fibre rolled out in their transmission network. Something like 10,000km of it.

They're planning to push fibre through their local ducts and attach it to overhead lines to access homes.

They already have access to everyone's home. They've big economies as they already own the routes and ducts and they've all the crews employed in house.

They put up dozens upon dozens of new poles around our town at the start of the year and recently. They have some funky looking kit on it (see pic).

red_bairn wrote: »
    They put up dozens upon dozens of new poles around our town at the start of the year and recently. They have some funky looking kit on it (see pic).

That's just a connector for splicing power lines together. I think it's what they use to connect your house to the electricity line. It's not anything to do with fibre.

The fibre would most likely be just clipped onto the overhead wires or run along side them.

They've really extensive duct networks in most areas too.

Most likely your fibre would emerge next to your ESB meter.

They're a huge supplier of fibre to other companies though. For the last decade or more they've been attaching fibre to their high voltage transmission lines. It's sort of clipped on or wrapped around the lines.

A machine a bit like a mini cable car runs between the pylons winds the fibre around it.

That's just a connector for splicing power lines together. I think it's what they use to connect your house to the electricity line. It's not anything to do with fibre.

The fibre would most likely be just clipped onto the overhead wires or run along side them.

They've really extensive duct networks in most areas too.

Most likely your fibre would emerge next to your ESB meter.

They're a huge supplier of fibre to other companies though. For the last decade or more they've been attaching fibre to their high voltage transmission lines. It's sort of clipped on or wrapped around the lines.

A machine a bit like a mini cable car runs between the pylons winds the fibre around it.

But if it's that easy why aren't utilities doing this across the globe?

It's been deployed extensively in Japan for example by Tepco (the crowd that own Fukushima ...)

They really drove competition for FTTH over there.

There is no reason why ESB would not innovate in this space. They're in a vastly different position to most telcos. They've even got their own pretty successful electrical engineering company that designs and rolls out power networks around the world - ESBI

Compared to eircom or anyone else in the Irish market they are very seriously well resourced and also generally in much better financial health.

So if they want to spend money on this, they'll be able to raise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It's been deployed extensively in Japan for example by Tepco (the crowd that own Fukushima ...)

They really drove competition for FTTH over there.

There is no reason why ESB would not innovate in this space. They're in a vastly different position to most telcos. They've even got their own pretty successful electrical engineering company that designs and rolls out power networks around the world - ESBI

Compared to eircom or anyone else in the Irish market they are very seriously well resourced and also generally in much better financial health.

So if they want to spend money on this, they'll be able to raise it.

Oh btw, it's Electric Ireland know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Can't really see how he can be objecting to it, unless of course it really is in his back yard.:D Wouldn't surprise me. Some cabs are built into garden walls or boundary wall.

These new cabs don't require planning permission in the normal sense, so there's no objection mechanism, but do need local authority permission. They're classed as 'street furniture'. As long as they're not causing an obstruction or a danger then it's a formality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Electric Ireland is just the devision of the company that provides electricity, the potential internet providing company is ESB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

No its not Esb were broken up
    ESB are still

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't see how 400 million would deliver that? Maybe 1.4

400 million should be about right for 450,000 homes.

That works out at about €888 per home.

In the US, it costs Verizon $600 per home to connect to their Fibre network using overhead fibre cables like the ESB are planning to do here.

So the maths add up.

You would need about 1.4 billion to do every home in Ireland (1.6 million homes), but they don't seem to be planning to do that, yet!

BTW Eircom certainly aren't investing 1.4 billion in their rollout, it is more like 500 million for this current FFTB VDSL network they are currently building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm guessing it's the demuxes are the must expensive singular parts of this? Component wise. Any idea what kind of approach they're going to take? Eircom-like cabinets around the place that distribute directly to a couple of homes, or a UPC approach and just run a single cable through a neighbourhood and tap off a frequency at each house (grossly simplified :D)?

I imagine they'll try to avoid any potential overlap with future eircom FTTH services, eircom could just buy the wholesale service from them, or would there ever be competing fibre systems in the same areas?

Advertisement