Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭budgie412

Im in Gorey. 2 ADSL cabs in my development marked with 005 and 019, one in permanent marker and the other with tippex. Am guessing its not kids marking them with these....

Most other cabs seem to have been installed around town. Have not seen eircom engineers around either. Before VDSL cabs were installed did anybody notice anything similiar on the ADSL abs?

If they're finished around town and aren't planning on upgrading these cabs I will not be a happy bunny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The ESB don't even have to bring Fibre to the home ...... they could (in rural areas in particular) bring it to a fixed wireless spot and serve the locality that way.

For years now this has been spoken of, wished for and watched for ..... will it really happen?

It should have happened years go ..... and no one would care about Eircom now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

SpaceTime wrote: »
    A machine a bit like a mini cable car runs between the pylons winds the fibre around it.

SkyWrap

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mark Spilane

Danny Boy wrote: »

When will this happen though. Not just pilot schemes, but to any house that wants it. Eircom would be finished.
    I know plenty of people who would pay thousands to get FTTH.

Its about time Eircom had some competition. At the moment it doesnt matter who you pay your bill to, Eircom wont move their ass to fix your line and there is nothing anyone else can do about it.
    You have Vodafone blaming Eircom and Eircom blaming vodafone for problems.
    It will be much better when you actually can go to a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bk wrote: »
    400 million should be about right for 450,000 homes.

That works out at about €888 per home.

In the US, it costs Verizon $600 per home to connect to their Fibre network using overhead fibre cables like the ESB are planning to do here.

So the maths add up.

You would need about 1.4 billion to do every home in Ireland (1.6 million homes), but they don't seem to be planning to do that, yet!

BTW Eircom certainly aren't investing 1.4 billion in their rollout, it is more like 500 million for this current FFTB VDSL network they are currently building.

Whats that?

All I could find was this. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

red_bairn wrote: »
    Whats that?

Sorry, that should have been FTTC, Fibre To The Cabinet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Would be great if they also partnered a with a few FWA companies and community groups like the one Big Lar has set up.

The ESB don't even have to bring Fibre to the home ...... they could (in rural areas in particular) bring it to a fixed wireless spot and serve the locality that way.

For years now this has been spoken of, wished for and watched for ..... will it really happen?

It should have happened years go ..... and no one would care about Eircom now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

bk wrote: »
    Sorry, that should have been FTTC, Fibre To The Cabinet :D

Fibre to the building usually means for apartment buildings. That would be very useless in most of Ireland.

funnyname wrote: »
    Would be great if they also partnered a with a few FWA companies and community groups like the one Big Lar has set up.

Do you have anymore info on these?

I'm still a bit baffled about what's going on with my e-fibre order.

Sent in an order online on 14/07 - heard nothing since other than a generic welcome to e-fibre email.

The customer care online team seems to think this is just how it is and to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Do you have anymore info on these?

Most of them are outlined here:

http://ioffl.dlinkddns.com/

bealtine wrote: »

Thanks.
    But I dont see anything about community groups on there.
    No matter. Since only 3 people in our whole townland cant get fibre on their lines there isnt much point in a community group of three.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dey tuk urr map!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

It still says August on the NGA map at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

TheChizler wrote: »
    Dey tuk urr map!

Bring the map back, start a petition lol

Is there anything here where you can pay Eircom to bring fibre to your home. Like BT Openreach. I know a lot of people who would pay thousands to get FTTH or thousands just to get any kind of decent BB, but Eircom dont seem to want their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They were trialling it in dublin or wicklow afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Mc Love wrote: »
    They were trialling it in dublin or wicklow afaik
    This

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

red_bairn wrote: »

They trialed it in Sandyford and Wexford town

Is there anything here where you can pay Eircom to bring fibre to your home. Like BT Openreach. I know a lot of people who would pay thousands to get FTTH or thousands just to get any kind of decent BB, but Eircom dont seem to want their money.

Not at this time but it would be a good idea

• Advertisement

Not at this time but it would be a good idea

The only option for some people since Eircom cant be bothered unless its easy.
    Maybe Eircom might make a few quid on it now. They are just throwing awayu money offered to them

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Anybody got a rough idea of what speed I'd get with fibre if I'm currently get between 1-2 Megabits . And say I'm on the 70Mb/20Mb pack I presume that would make a difference

Anybody got a rough idea of what speed I'd get with fibre if I'm currently get between 1-2 Megabits . And say I'm on the 70Mb/20Mb pack I presume that would make a difference

Impossible to say! Only information we could possibly speculate from is the distance from you to your local cabinet. If a neighbour has it see what they get maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

I JUST HAD A NICE FIBRE ROLLOUT DER NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As said, it depends on your distance from your fibre cabinet.
    Your current speed makes no difference as that is mostly dictated by your distance from the exchange.

The 'Line length' in the chart below is the distance from the fibre cabinet followed by the speeds you could expect at those distances.
    They won't sell you eFibre over 1000m (1Km) from your cabinet,although I've heard of them going to 1200m in some cases.

262971.JPG

I would would assume they'll need extra equipment at the cabinet to do FTTH though?

Have they laid sufficient fibre to allow for it ?

There's no fibre to you....still copper from the nearest cabinet.

The idea of this VDSL rollout is to bring the exchange closer to you so your current speed/attenuation is irrelevant, it's all down to where the neatest cabinet is.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

is there anyway to find out your line length? my closet cabinet is a 2min walk to the top of my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

is there anyway to find out your line length? my closet cabinet is a 2min walk to the top of my street.

Assume the worst-case scenario. If the longest reasonable path the line could take is within the limits, you should be ok.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    As said, it depends on your distance from your fibre cabinet.
    Your current speed makes no difference as that is mostly dictated by your distance from the exchange.

The 'Line length' in the chart below is the distance from the fibre cabinet followed by the speeds you could expect at those distances.
    They won't sell you eFibre over 1000m (1Km) from your cabinet,although I've heard of them going to 1200m in some cases.

262971.JPG

Actually do we know if these are practical line-length/rates or EM Field Theory nice-straight-ideal-line/rates?

Advertisement