Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

TheChizler wrote: »
    Actually do we know if these are practical line-length/rates or EM Field Theory nice-straight-ideal-line/rates?

Yeah has anyone any information on how they calculate the lines length?

Following the Road my Cabinet is 1000m away because it goes arse ways around

But straight line distance from the cabinet is around 400m

Do they calculate based on the Road or do they just measure the distance from the house to the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

When you say "cabinet" are you referring to the exchange? Or are there cabinets that connect to the exchange?

Greylor wrote: »
    When you say "cabinet" are you referring to the exchange? Or are there cabinets that connect to the exchange?

Cabinet that connects to the exchange are all over the place

Have a look here https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Cabinet that connects to the exchange are all over the place

Have a look here https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4[/QUOTE]

Oh, handy map. Thanks for that.

Although it begs the question...according to that map the place I am looking to buy is 1.6km, as the crow flies, from the cabinet. Although according to the eFiber rollout map I am well within the range (within 1/3 of the displayed range radius from the town centre).

Does that mean that I am not actually going to get eFiber after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Have a look here https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4[/QUOTE]

Although it begs the question...according to that map the place I am looking to buy is 1.6km, as the crow flies, from the cabinet. Although according to the eFiber rollout map I am well within the range (within 1/3 of the displayed range radius from the town centre).

The minimum possible line length is as the crow flies so unfortunately it would appear not... Unless they put in a cab closer to you. The rollout maps are very general, they show the general districts where it's available to SOMEONE, not necessarily everyone in that range will be able to get it.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    The minimum possible line length is as the crow flies so unfortunately it would appear not... Unless they put in a cab closer to you. The rollout maps are very general, they show the general districts where it's available to SOMEONE, not necessarily everyone in that range will be able to get it.

Ya, I figured it would get a bit hazy the further you got out towards the edge of what the map shows....but I would not be that far from the middle which is why I find it surprising.

Does the map with the cabinets just show the cabinets that have been upgraded so far, or does it show all of the cabinets? It's possible that they just haven't upgraded a cabinet that is nearby. The current owner of the property said that Eircom had been through there earlier in the year laying fibre cables past the house.
    It would royally suck if the cables that bring fibre to the town are running 10m from the house, but I can't get it myself.

Ya, I figured it would get a bit hazy the further you got out towards the edge of what the map shows....but I would not be that far from the middle which is why I find it surprising.

Does the map with the cabinets just show the cabinets that have been upgraded so far, or does it show all of the cabinets? It's possible that they just haven't upgraded a cabinet that is nearby. The current owner of the property said that Eircom had been through there earlier in the year laying fibre cables past the house.
    It would royally suck if the cables that bring fibre to the town are running 10m from the house, but I can't get it myself.

The maps only show exchange areas pretty much, it's purely down to where the cabinets are, the edges could be overrun with fibre but if you're right in the centre with no cabinet near you it won't be available. If you're local and you see a cab that hasn't been mapped you can add it here.

It's not so much upgrading cabinets as putting in new ones, which AFAIK cost around 10 k apiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Yeah has anyone any information on how they calculate the lines length?

Following the Road my Cabinet is 1000m away because it goes arse ways around

But straight line distance from the cabinet is around 400m

Do they calculate based on the Road or do they just measure the distance from the house to the cabinet?

I would imagine that the line lengths in the table are theoretical. Transmission lines possess known characteristics, such as impedance, capacitance and loss. These are linear, so if 100ft of some cable exhibits certain characteristic valuse, 1000ft will exhibit 10x those values. These values, combined with known signal to noise thresholds for successful data transmission can be used to determine what attenuation a signal will experience, and as a result, what theoretical maximum data rate is possible.

So, the table is likely based on theoretical values.

The distances quoted would be the actual length of cable between the cabinet and your house, including all corners and bends, so not as-the-crow-files. The only way to estimate this and have your estimate bear any resemblance to reality is to take the reasonable scenario... in other words, walk the distance along the road from the cabinet to your house, avoiding shortcuts and side-roads. That will likely be within a reasonable margin of error of the true distance.

gerryk wrote: »
    The distances quoted would be the actual length of cable between the cabinet and your house, including all corners and bends, so not as-the-crow-files. The only way to estimate this and have your estimate bear any resemblance to reality is to take the reasonable scenario... in other words, walk the distance along the road from the cabinet to your house, avoiding shortcuts and side-roads. That will likely be within a reasonable margin of error of the true distance.

Following eircom manhole covers could be a good way to go. Maybe we should start a manhole cover mapping thread... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Just wondering if anyone knows if eircom will be bringing fibre to every cab in a town that is getting FTTC?

I ask because the cab that I thought was connected to has been switched on yet my address is not available. This cab is approx 500 meters from my house by road, which is in a relatively new housing estate. The problem is that my estate was supposed to be over 250 houses across 5 stages. Only stage one was built before the downturn which consists of 56 houses. The cab that we must be connected to is just past where stage 1 finishes and obviously will only ever support 56 as opposed to the 250 or so it was originally installed for.

Back to the point, Do you think that they will do all cabs in the town by the time they are finished or will they only be picking and choosing the most populated cabs?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Not all cabs in each exchange area will get a VDSL cab.

The list that Eircom don't want people posting on here shows a list of cabs that were to be upgraded at some point (or possibly no plans ever) but no dates currently to upgrade them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

How do you tell there's power to the cab ? Just had a new cab installed 100m away from my flat in castlebar, and trying to figure out when everything but it being commissioned is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Morf wrote: »
    Not all cabs in each exchange area will get a VDSL cab.

The list that Eircom don't want people posting on here shows a list of cabs that were to be upgraded at some point (or possibly no plans ever) but no dates currently to upgrade them.

That is depressing. I wouldn't mind but I saw that list at the time but didn't pay attention to my actual cab because I thought I would be connecting to the other one that has been commissioned.

Does anyone have a copy of the list saved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

jaykay2 wrote: »
    That is depressing. I wouldn't mind but I saw that list at the time but didn't pay attention to my actual cab because I thought I would be connecting to the other one that has been commissioned.

Does anyone have a copy of the list saved?

I do, send me your email via PM and I'll forward it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    How do you tell there's power to the cab ? Just had a new cab installed 100m away from my flat in castlebar, and trying to figure out when everything but it being commissioned is complete.

There will be a yellow sticker put on the cabinet when it is fully commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

That map is a crowdsource effort created and added to by people here (and others that are no longer here :().
    There could be additional cabs in the area that we have not found or mapped yet - feel free to scout around and help the mapping effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ElNino wrote: »
    There will be a yellow sticker put on the cabinet when it is fully commissioned.

What do these stickers look like? Some cabinets here have a yellow sticker on both the original cabinet and the vdsl and others only have this yellow sticker on one or the other. No boxes are live as far as I can tell. Some are powered some aren't, it's a bit of a disjointed mess as far as I can see. The only ones who are actually doing anything are Kn. No sign of esb to power the boxes and certainly no sign of eircom to commission them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jca wrote: »
    What do these stickers look like? Some cabinets here have a yellow sticker on both the original cabinet and the vdsl and others only have this yellow sticker on one or the other. No boxes are live as far as I can tell. Some are powered some aren't, it's a bit of a disjointed mess as far as I can see. The only ones who are actually doing anything are Kn. No sign of esb to power the boxes and certainly no sign of eircom to commission them.

We're just waiting for our yellow stickers here. The majority, if not all of the cabinets have ESB power going to them.

The VDSL needs a sticker as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

red_bairn wrote: »
    We're just waiting for our yellow stickers here. The majority, if not all of the cabinets have ESB power going to them.

The VDSL needs a sticker as well.

All of the new eircom cabs need esb power because as ye all know fibre carry beams of ligth no electricity

All of the new eircom cabs need esb power because as ye all know fibre carry beams of ligth no electricity

They can be sitting there for months without power, which is the point I think is being made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

I know my cabinet has power and was also there when Engineer "commisioned" it, he put sticker on it then when I came back later it had been taken off again. I have driven around the Ferrybank side of Arklow and it seems none of the cabinets this side of town have been "stickered" this could possibly be to do with the bridge repair work as I noted that new ESB an Eircom ducts are part of the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

looking to get efibre when its available in my area (dundalk).
    should i be happy with this or does it even make a difference?
    84326119.png

any info much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

84326119.png

Doesn't make a difference. You need to find your local cabinet on this map and calculate the distance your house is from the cabinet. The copper telephone wires usually travel underneath footpaths or roads. If the line between your cabinet and your house is over 1 kilometer, you are not eligible for eFiber.

84326119.png

Judging from the Excel Sheet that we got :P i would check for efibre in Dundalk on Thursday or Friday this week.

Rumor is the Ready for Order date on the exchange is this Thursday for Dundalk if you are connected to a new cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Judging from the Excel Sheet that we got :P i would check for efibre in Dundalk on Thursday or Friday this week.

Rumor is the Ready for Order date on the exchange is this Thursday for Dundalk if you are connected to a new cabinet

Yeah an eircom tech has told me it will be ready for order in August:D
    My street has a vdsl cabinet. Its about a 2 min walk from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

I was just on to Eircom just now Re: fibre in lusk.
    Its going live on the 28 August with orders taken from the 14th
    not long now

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Does anyone have any info on Midleton? The spreadsheet said the ready for order date would be 24th July. The eFibre map still says July-September and the address checker does not contain Midleton addresses. Midleton, Monaghan and Oranmore were all due to go live on 24th July according to the spreadsheet. All other exchanges due to go live earlier in July are shown as live on the eFibre map. Hopefully it will be this week for Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Tonio wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on Midleton? The spreadsheet said the ready for order date would be 24th July. The eFibre map still says July-September and the address checker does not contain Midleton addresses. Midleton, Monaghan and Oranmore were all due to go live on 24th July according to the spreadsheet. All other exchanges due to go live earlier in July are shown as live on the eFibre map. Hopefully it will be this week for Midleton.

On Oranmore, installations begin today I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

kaizersoze wrote: »
    On Oranmore, installations begin today I hear.

Interesting. Good to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Cabinets are in a few months in Newbridge , still nothing doing ,

frustrating driving by them every evening and knowing there not activated ,

I think one or two may be in the centre of town but none out my way :mad:

Advertisement