Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

Well, Eircom completely screwed me over. I was on Magnet and called them to see about upgrading to Fatpipe as I'm on the supposedly "efibre enabled" Coolock exchange and there are a few VDLS cabs about(I'm within 1k of two cabs but the one in my half of the estate was never actually installed just a planning notice on the old one, so I was skeptical about its availability). Magnet said it wasn't available, so that was that. Then about two weeks later I called Eircom to see why it wasn't available and the lad on the phone was adamant it actually was. Great! I asked him why Magnet couldn't do it and he said "Oh. they wouldn't have it there yet"

Grand. So I agreed to switch over to Eircom, asking several times was he sure I could actually get efibre and explained about how the VDSL cab wasn't installed to which his reply was "100%, I wouldn't even say it if it wasn't". He then said I'd be switched to NGB and then I could call to get the engineer out to intall the equipment for efibre and the switch would take 10 days max to get connected to NGB with no disruption in service.

About 2 weeks later my internet and phone went completely, I rang them to ask what the story was. Apparently my order had been messed up somehow and there was going to be another 10 days....with no service but they were adamant they hadn't disconnected me and said Magnet must have. I called Magnet and they said they hadn't a clue what happened to it and they had received no contact from Eircom about it. Anyway, another week later, Eircom finally admitted they had prematurely disconnected the line but it would take another week to reconnect and in return offered a free moth's line rental.

So, two weeks total with no phone or internet, the line was finally reconnected. So, then I ring up to see about getting the engineer out to connect the efibre. And then the woman tells me "Sorry, efibre is not available in your area and we have no date for if or when it ever will be". I explained that the original guy had many times 100% guaranteed me it was and was told that he shouldn't have said that and they don't know where he got that information but it was 100% wrong.

They even had the cheek to send me a bill after all this, which I might add included line rental that I was meant to have free that month. Needless to say that will not be paid. I'm livid over this. I have contacted Comreg but what else can I do. The guy obviously wanted a sale and gave me false information to entice me to switch.

They just say "Fiber not available in your area" as their answer to everything if your line is in any way faulty, even if the people all around you have it. They are not bothered to fix it at all. They just lie to you and tell you its not in your area to get you off the phone. They wont even put you through to someone with a brain either.

Surely they have an obligation if you switched to them on the basis that you would be upgraded to fiber when it comes to your AREA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

hfallada wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin city why are you getting eircom? It's slow, expensive and the service is **** like you expected. UPC are far superior and finally have gotten their customer service together. You could easily get 50 mb with UPC. Maybe 100-150mb and they only take a few days to instal

Not available in my area, nothing is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Im sure that all of us would go with ANYONE to get fast BB. Believe it or not UPC dont cover most of Dublin. Some of us are stuck with half meg BB while our next door neighbors have Fiber and Eircom wont do a thing to help us.

Are you living in Dundrum or Sandyford Area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi lads,

I have to set up my first eFibre for a private business next week. Could anybody point me to configuration/setup instructions for doing this.. I looked on Eircom's page but I cant find anything..

thanks,
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

hfallada wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin city why are you getting eircom? It's slow, expensive and the service is **** like you expected. UPC are far superior and finally have gotten their customer service together.l

Got their customer service together????

I suggest you have a look at a few of their threads to see how many issues they have had recently. 2 items I've seen evidence for are lying to customers and locking them into new contracts without their knowledge, and also retrospectively changing web pages to make it look like they had got a customer's consent to enter into a new contract. That's all before the unbelievable treatment at the hands of 'customer retention'.
    In my opinion they are cowboys.

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    Are you living in Dundrum or Sandyford Area?

Im on the Swords exchange.

Im on the Swords exchange.

Then your neighbours don't have fibre.

Then your neighbours don't have fibre.

They are connected to Eircoms eFibre FTTC package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

A work colleague just told me earlier that an eircom engineer was at the vdsl cabinet on the esmond road in Enniscorthy last week. He had laptop connected to it. Looking good for that area.... Its the other side of town to me unfortunately.. Maybe this week they'll power up my vdsl cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    A work colleague just told me earlier that an eircom engineer was at the vdsl cabinet on the esmond road in Enniscorthy last week. He had laptop connected to it. Looking good for that area.... Its the other side of town to me unfortunately.. Maybe this week they'll power up my vdsl cabinet.

Can't see many of the residents on that road and Drumgoold signing up for fibre JCA;)

• Advertisement

They are connected to Eircoms eFibre FTTC package.

"Some of us are stuck with half meg BB while our next door neighbors have Fiber"

”our next door neighbours have VDSL” should be what you said as saying that your neighbour has fibre leads one to believe that they are on FTTH...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

"Some of us are stuck with half meg BB while our next door neighbors have Fiber"

”our next door neighbours have VDSL” should be what you said as saying that your neighbour has fibre leads one to believe that they are on FTTH...
    Can't blame the guy really. It's Eircom & Co's fault with their highly misleading advertising and product naming.

They should actually be taken to task by comreg <hahaha> about the way they describe their VDSL.

I think we are all smart enough to know what someone is talking about when they mention fibre in this thread.

I think we are all smart enough to know what someone is talking about when they mention fibre in this thread.

Exactly!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm fucked up waiting at this stage.
    The website says July - September and we're in August now and there's no word.
    Gonna stick with Sky and see when will they launch Sky Fibre.

I'm going to do the same, well, I kinda have'ta seeing as I'm contracted for the €10 pm BB until December:pac: Maybe everything will be in place by then:cool::cool:

zerks wrote: »
    Can't see many of the residents on that road and Drumgoold signing up for fibre JCA;)
    Ah God sir shur it'd be grand for uploading pictures of the Hiace to the DoneSteal site:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

He was probably checking his emails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Anyone else sick of Eircom eFibre ads popping up everywhere with them knowing full well it is a half baked botched launch??? And that phrase "In you Area" has lost all meaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The title of the thread says one million homes within three years, there aren't even three months gone yet. You can't complain that any schedule has been broken for your area yet since it is only just over one month into the period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

I agree with you on this yellow stickers baloney. Personally I think its the usual Eircom half assed disorganised mess. Enniscorthy has plenty of cabinets installed, some are powered and most aren't. No house has fibre yet:mad:. Some cabinets are there since April.... Its a joke of a rollout.

They tell me it will be September now, the only thing keeping me going is having it before the PS4 comes out. Nothing but lag at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The title of the thread says one million homes within three years, there aren't even three months gone yet. You can't complain that any schedule has been broken for your area yet since it is only just over one month into the period.

I think its the fact that people located in fiber ready areas arent able to order it or it isnt available is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

eggman99 wrote: »
    They tell me it will be September now, the only thing keeping me going is having it before the PS4 comes out. Nothing but lag at the moment

PS4 bah - what I am waiting for is GTA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

Looks like they have started building a new box at the entrance of the Maples estate in Bettystown, on the opposite side of the street to the existing box.....at least I think it's going to be an eircom box.....foundations are in and some cables are coming up out of the ground.....I will take a walk around later today to see if I can catch an engineer working on it to ask a few questions....fingers crossed that I will be connected to this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

anyone know about Carrigaline, Cork? Jumped from being available later this year to ''available now''! No local advertising and have tried my friends landlines in the checker if they live near a cabinet, none can get the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Bump! Anyone on the outer end of the Moneen rd., Castlebar enabled yet?
    anyone out the Moneen road in Castlebar get e-fibre yet?

Seem to be 2 cabs close to each other at the industrial Estate, and another out at breaffy village, but nothing in between to serve all the estates around Kilkenny cross, at least that I can find...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

wondering what is the overhead on vdsl2.

I'm syncing at 50170/15389 and getting 47.5/13.80

I'm assuming there's roughly 5% overhead on VDSL2 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Limerick city centre....not even live for fibre....a same few cabs live/given planning permission. the eircom lads have done as much as they can....we are looking at December now for the main business area of limerick to be switched on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I got a new landline....was assured I would/could get fibre....got switched on, no fibre...just 12mb BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Looks like they have started building a new box at the entrance of the Maples estate in Bettystown, on the opposite side of the street to the existing box.....at least I think it's going to be an eircom box.....foundations are in and some cables are coming up out of the ground.....I will take a walk around later today to see if I can catch an engineer working on it to ask a few questions....fingers crossed that I will be connected to this one!

Hopefully you've mapped it? <grin>

See this post for details : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Advertisement