Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

PeadarB wrote: »
    I had an "update" call from an Eircom rep today. Fibre may be available in Letterkenny by July, though more likely September. Not long now.........

But having spoken to my local engineer just now... More like "Happy Christmas" ... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

But having spoken to my local engineer just now... More like "Happy Christmas" ... :mad:

thats phase 1? i hate to think what the delivery date for phase 2 will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

:rolleyes: Typical, What is taking them so long? If it takes this long to do phase 1 it will be quite abit longer than 3 years to hit 1mil homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

lead time on equipment .... Russia and Australia got in ahead of Ireland on splicing and blowing equipment...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 donogh5

They seem to be laying a lot of fibre in Cork this week along Anglesea Street and the South Link road.

Any idea when the rollout to the Quaker Road exchange will be completed, please?

Also, I currently get 18Mb of my 24Mb connection. Would it make sense that I'd get a similar ratio with VDSL2? For example, if it's 50Mb, I might end up with 37.5Mb (18/24 * 50)? Or does it not work like that?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

donogh5 wrote: »

Also, I currently get 18Mb of my 24Mb connection. Would it make sense that I'd get a similar ratio with VDSL2? For example, if it's 50Mb, I might end up with 37.5Mb (18/24 * 50)? Or does it not work like that?

Thanks!

Yes VDSL deteriorates with distance just like ADSL, well faster than ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 donogh5

bealtine wrote: »
    Yes VDSL deteriorates with distance just like ADSL, well faster than ADSL.

Thanks. Even an extra 10 megs would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Thanks. Even an extra 10 megs would be nice!

It'll all depend on how far you are away from your street side cabinet
    The closer you are to the cabinet the faster your connection will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They seem to be laying a lot of fibre in Cork this week along Anglesea Street and the South Link road.

That is ESB work, nothing to do with Eircom unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 42 liamg67

Any one know how far off Fibre is to being activated in Dooradoyle - all the cabs were installed and cabled nearly 2 months ago around the area - havent seen any vans out since - so assume completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

liamg67 wrote: »
    Any one know how far off Fibre is to being activated in Dooradoyle - all the cabs were installed and cabled nearly 2 months ago around the area - havent seen any vans out since - so assume completed.

It seems strange that they are seemingly finished big parts of phase 1, but not really launching the products. Are they waiting to finish all of phase 1 before launch? Have they run into technical issues? Have they run out of money?

Anyone got any insider info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

liamg67 wrote: »

Not completed yet, there's still cabinets being installed.

Praetorian wrote: »
    It seems strange that they are seemingly finished big parts of phase 1, but not really launching the products. Are they waiting to finish all of phase 1 before launch? Have they run into technical issues? Have they run out of money?

Anyone got any insider info?

My thoughts exactly. They need money and they need it quick. You would think that they would make the packages available to every individual cabinet as it became available.

Hogzy wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. They need money and they need it quick. You would think that they would make the packages available to every individual cabinet as it became available.

Backhaul needs to be prepared also, I imagine that can't be prepared until all the cabinets in the current plan are ready.

roast wrote: »
    Backhaul needs to be prepared also, I imagine that can't be prepared until all the cabinets in the current plan are ready.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the backhaul???

Hogzy wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the backhaul???

In my very broad terms, everything to do with the rollout bar the physical installation of the cabinets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Ive been told unofficially that they will probably start to announce dates at the end of the summer for large scale rollout. They are officially still in the pilot phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

Xeyn wrote: »
    Ive been told unofficially that they will probably start to announce dates at the end of the summer for large scale rollout. They are officially still in the pilot phase.

yes but they have to make it available to all operators at launch.

they intitally said it would be done by end of this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

KN workin some late shifts puttin in subducts around Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom are quoting a price around €40-50k in response to enquiries for localised VDSL cabs at business parks/industrial estates where they already have fibre in situ and where only a small area is upgraded (not an entire exchange) .

I understand that a chap in Hueston Square is now being given responsibility for liasing on and processing of all such enquiries as there are so many of them coming in from areas not on any upgrade list at present.

The cab comes preconfigured from a factory, onsite works are confined to a bit of digging. concrete pouring and punching down of copper and splicing of fibre. Around 6 man days total across all specialties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

yes but they have to make it available to all operators at launch.

they intitally said it would be done by end of this year.

Why is that, just curious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    eircom are quoting a price around €40-50k in response to enquiries for localised VDSL cabs at business parks/industrial estates where they already have fibre in situ and where only a small area is upgraded (not an entire exchange).

How many residential units would one of these cabinets be able to provide for?

How many residential units would one of these cabinets be able to provide for?

100 - 200 depending on cabinet size. I think I heard eircom are using 96 144 and 192 port units..variously.... but not sure of the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

100 - 200 depending on cabinet size. I think I heard eircom are using 96 144 and 192 port units..variously.... but not sure of the details.

Assuming that these cabinets cost €50K, can serve 150 residential units, and only 50% of those units take up the lowest tier subscription (€50/mo iirc), they'd have the cabinet paid back in just over a year.

Within three years, they'd be raking in the cash, so why aren't they trying harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In my opinion, they should be targeting areas that UPC doesn't serve well. As it stands they're not going to be able to make a profit as UPC still offers a far faster product using similar, but better technology and it's bundled with TV and a fully developed video on demand service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Solair wrote: »
    In my opinion, they should be targeting areas that UPC doesn't serve well. As it stands they're not going to be able to make a profit as UPC still offers a far faster product using similar, but better technology and it's bundled with TV and a fully developed video on demand service.

Eircom's speeds are better. 150Mb/30Mb vs UPC's 100Mb/10Mb. UPC still have them on price and obviously the availability of a TV package.

Eircom's speeds are better. 150Mb/30Mb vs UPC's 100Mb/10Mb.

Not off a VDSL cabinet, think an average 50/10 rather than 150/30

People are getting this wrong, they want the price of the cabinet up front in rural areas and are quids in on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Eircom's speeds are better. 150Mb/30Mb vs UPC's 100Mb/10Mb. UPC still have them on price and obviously the availability of a TV package.

Basic speed on fibre is 25Mbs for E50 per month, compare that with UPC at 37 per month. All eircom fibre has managed to achieve is UPC jacking up their prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Not off a VDSL cabinet, think an average 50/10 rather than 150/30

People are getting this wrong, they want the price of the cabinet up front in rural areas and are quids in on day one.

I would be satisfied with 50/10 for now. Who wouldn't?

I saw some more work going on around Belcamp (phase 2) today. They were K&N guys running fibre, and it was on behalf of Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Praetorian wrote: »

I would be satisfied with 50/10 for now. Who wouldn't?

People who are able to get UPC :pac:

Advertisement