Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I finally got my install done. No issues. I'm at the further end of the line so not getting brilliant speeds but still almost 10 times better than I was getting :)

Before

2886906783.png

After

2888133724.png

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi guys, i just got off a web chat with a digiweb rep who told me that in the next week or two (more likely), they will be redoing their pricing on fibre bb, the price i was quoted was 39.95 euro for the unlimited package with a FUP of 350GB (i know, i know), was told it would be a soft rollout (whatever that is), existing customers will be looked after first and then new ones.
    Just wanted to post this as someone might be interested, or indeed someone might decide to go to the site and do a web chat and confirm if what i was told is true.

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Does anyone know if the E-Fibre router has Traffic Shaping?

There are quite a few people connected in my house it would be nice to setup traffic shaping so one person doesn't eat all the speed when we get efibre.

If it doesn't can anyone recommend a router that has Traffic shaping and will work with efibre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

apophis wrote: »
    Hi guys, i just got off a web chat with a digiweb rep who told me that in the next week or two (more likely), they will be redoing their pricing on fibre bb, the price i was quoted was 39.95 euro for the unlimited package with a FUP of 350GB (i know, i know), was told it would be a soft rollout (whatever that is), existing customers will be looked after first and then new ones.
    Just wanted to post this as someone might be interested, or indeed someone might decide to go to the site and do a web chat and confirm if what i was told is true.

That is good news. Thanks for the update. I also just emailed a smart salesrep who I was talking to a couple of months back so I'll see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I got a new landline....was assured I would/could get fibre....got switched on, no fibre...just 12mb BB.

Just be thankful you have over 2mb!! Cant believe the city hasnt got it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

They seemed to be working on the cabinet on the Tullow Road in Carlow beside the nursing home all day yesterday. I presume they must be getting closer to switching on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

New cabinet installed yesterday on Dundalk Road in Ardee. The website says to expect fibre between July and September. Hopefully not long.

We're on 24mb business option here. Anyone know what we'd be upgraded to?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

peejay1986 wrote: »
    New cabinet installed yesterday on Dundalk Road in Ardee. The website says to expect fibre between July and September. Hopefully not long.

Totally depends on how close you are to the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

peejay1986 wrote: »

262971.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Having been told that Enniscorthy is ready on several occasions,it's still a no show from any provider,the latest spiel is that they have to wait for Comreg to give them the green light as no single provider is allowed to gain any advantage by selling their service first.The wait goes on as I see those yellow stickered cabs sitting there teasing me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Had an Eircom engineer with me, who knew what he was talking about....its down to planning permission, at least in Limerick. The cabs are ready....fibre installed, its the feckin corpo holding things up.

He told me they wanted to install two new cabs in the city centre so as businesses would be close to cabs and they corpo refused.

He said it could be December before the cab i am on goes live.......

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

apophis wrote: »

Yeah this is happening, 18 month contract which is the only downside but they have at least got rid of the rolling day cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Having been told that Enniscorthy is ready on several occasions,it's still a no show from any provider,the latest spiel is that they have to wait for Comreg to give them the green light as no single provider is allowed to gain any advantage by selling their service first.The wait goes on as I see those yellow stickered cabs sitting there teasing me.

Thats shocking stuff. Its a bit like "How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?" What a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

On the whole though, is this whole process not a huge task, that seems to be progressing reasonably well? It seems to me Ireland will have better (decent) broadband coverage than Germany soon. The max I can get in my Berlin apartment is 50Mbps/10Mbps. I cannot get cable broadband in my building for some reason and VDSL is capped at those figures (though my FritzBox says the line can carry 124239kbps down and 23043kbps). I think for once it's an example of someone in Ireland just getting on with it. There are issues of course but between them Eircom and UPC will have the majority of homes able to receive decent BB. There will remain rural parts that can't get BB but that's no different here in Germany where rural customers (even in villages, not one off houses) usually have to make do with ISDN or dial up or very slow ADSL at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

ED E wrote: »
    Totally depends on how close you are to the cab.

I was more wondering, when they say you'll get a free upgrade, what package do they upgrade you to? We'd be on the top business package, so will they offer us an upgrade to the top eFibre package for free?

Thanks kaizersoze for that chart. We're less than 200m from the cab so optimistic about what we can get! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rfallon

Yes, I got my eFibre installed Monday last and works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Got it installed last Wednesday and was working perfect but today it's constantly dropping. Driving me mental! A reliable connection is much more valuable than a fast connection over 5Mbps. Literally dropds every 2 minutes, comes back quick in fairness. Is it the ****ty F1000 modem? Line Attenuation is 13.6 dB/ 12.8 dB.

You're probably bored of the speedtests but might as well add them as well. Tbh, higher download has made no difference to me but the higher upload blows my mind. My brother-in-law is a video producer and the connection is a godsend for sending large video files.

Before
    2698624398.png

After
    2872768209.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check the logs, see if its wireless or if its losing sync. If its losing sync get them to profile you to 50 to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

whoops, turns out I had DHCP lease time set to 2 minutes when I was trying to get a new IP from eircom. I set it to 7 days and haven't had a drop since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

murphaph wrote: »
    On the whole though, is this whole process not a huge task, that seems to be progressing reasonably well? It seems to me Ireland will have better (decent) broadband coverage than Germany soon. The max I can get in my Berlin apartment is 50Mbps/10Mbps. I cannot get cable broadband in my building for some reason and VDSL is capped at those figures (though my FritzBox says the line can carry 124239kbps down and 23043kbps). I think for once it's an example of someone in Ireland just getting on with it. There are issues of course but between them Eircom and UPC will have the majority of homes able to receive decent BB. There will remain rural parts that can't get BB but that's no different here in Germany where rural customers (even in villages, not one off houses) usually have to make do with ISDN or dial up or very slow ADSL at best.

it is going very well..

you'll just get a slightly skewed view from a boards.ie perspective, because you'll get people coming online to vent about things going wrong...

not what is actually going well

I've seen a few cabs now which are getting very full, even in UPC dominant areas..

one thing that is killing the rollout is comreg/council bureaucracy...

It's getting there though, and it's great to see the progress tbh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

red_bairn wrote: »
    SKY and UPC complaining to ComReg that Eircom are ahead of the competition, so now they can't work overtime to finish commissioning other cabinets. Total c...

I think Eircom were using this as an excuse,
    they were never going to have the whole country commissioned by May 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

whole country wasn't going to be anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Eh. When/where did they say that they'd have the country commissioned by May 20th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

Well obviously seeing as it's August and only a small portion of the country is commissioned. The whole country will never be commissioned anyway, it's costs too much money to bring fiber to the rural areas.

Eircom wanted to commission whatever cabinets they had built before the 20th of May, but Comreg wouldn't let them - the other companies complained that Eircom had an unfair advantage.

The roll-out and work is progressing nicely by all accounts. The odd hiccup here and there, mainly due to local issues.

Also of note, the fibre 'extended reach' profiles will be trialling soon. These should extend the current fibre line distance of 1000m out to 2000m.

15 Down 3 Up 1400m
    12 Down 1 Up 1700m
    7 Down 1 Up 2000m

So things are moving along even with the current roll-out still in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The roll-out and work is progressing nicely by all accounts. The odd hiccup here and there, mainly due to local issues.

Also of note, the fibre 'extended reach' profiles will be trialling soon. These should extend the current fibre line distance of 1000m out to 2000m.

15 Down 3 Up 1400m
    12 Down 1 Up 1700m
    7 Down 1 Up 2000m

Where did you get this information from?

Manc Red wrote: »
    Where did you get this information from?

Don't be nosey...........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Don't be nosey...........:P

Tell us goddammit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

15 Down 3 Up 1400m
    12 Down 1 Up 1700m
    7 Down 1 Up 2000m

No good though if you are 750M from the cab and next door has fibre but Eircom wont even entertain the idea of sending someone out to prove that their database is wrong and hook you up. They just say "Its not enabled in your area" as the excuse for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No good though if you are 750M from the cab and next door has fibre but Eircom wont even entertain the idea of sending someone out to prove that their database is wrong and hook you up. They just say "Its not enabled in your area" as the excuse for everything.
    How do you know both lines go back to the same cabinet? You might be on a different one.

Advertisement