Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No good though if you are 750M from the cab and next door has fibre but Eircom wont even entertain the idea of sending someone out to prove that their database is wrong and hook you up. They just say "Its not enabled in your area" as the excuse for everything.

That can be a pita alright. They're so flat out doing clean line installs that they probably haven't the manpower to chase down the faults. I'm sure they will in time though. I remember the same thing happening in previous adsl roll-outs. Nextdoor neighbours qualifying and others not.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

murphaph wrote: »
    How do you know both lines go back to the same cabinet? You might be on a different one.

On the phone to Eircom numerous times and got them to confirm that we are in the same cab. Before they then said "oh you have to get back onto sales because we cant do anything unless you actually HAVE eFibre installed".

Engineer who installed neighbors said they were on the same Cab.

We are the last cab from the exchange and there is no other cab anywhere near us for kms.

Also I switched to Eircom on the promise of "Free upgrade to eFiber when it comes to your area. Next door is my area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

On the phone to Eircom numerous times and got them to confirm that we are in the same cab. Before they then said "oh you have to get back onto sales because we cant do anything unless you actually HAVE eFibre installed".

Engineer who installed neighbors said they were on the same Cab.

We are the last cab from the exchange and there is no other cab anywhere near us for kms.

Also I switched to Eircom on the promise of "Free upgrade to eFiber when it comes to your area. Next door is my area.

Have you tried contacting the reps in the Eircom forum to see if they can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

What happened to spongebob, was just looking for his map.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Manc Red wrote: »
    Where did you get this information from?

I think Eircom are actually trialing an overhead fibre optic solution at the moment.
    So hopefully if there is an existing Fibre cabinet located at the end of a fibre sub duct route ,,,say about 3 km out of town + 1000 mtrs of copper then i think the technology to push out even futher replacing the 1000mtrs with a fibre could bring out lying areas of urban exchanges into efibre meaning all us poor folk who have to put up with 1meg could get something close to 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

paddyp wrote: »
    What happened to spongebob, was just looking for his map.

He was banned. His map can be found here.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    I think Eircom are actually trialing an overhead fibre optic solution at the moment.
    So hopefully if there is an existing Fibre cabinet located at the end of a fibre sub duct route ,,,say about 3 km out of town + 1000 mtrs of copper then i think the technology to push out even futher replacing the 1000mtrs with a fibre could bring out lying areas of urban exchanges into efibre meaning all us poor folk who have to put up with 1meg could get something close to 10

First I've heard of it. Not saying you're wrong mind you but that's not what I was referring to.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Eircom engineer did my install and I asked him about vectoring and he said as far as he knew there was an issue with this for Eircom and there was no plans to use vectoring at all. He also said there isn't a chance in hell that FTTH will be rolled out any time soon to anywhere other than the trial areas because of cost. Hearing things like this doesn't fill me full of confidence that Ireland will keep up with the rest of the world when it comes to broadband speeds.

LFCFan wrote: »
    Eircom engineer did my install and I asked him about vectoring and he said as far as he knew there was an issue with this for Eircom and there was no plans to use vectoring at all. He also said there isn't a chance in hell that FTTH will be rolled out any time soon to anywhere other than the trial areas because of cost. Hearing things like this doesn't fill me full of confidence that Ireland will keep up with the rest of the world when it comes to broadband speeds.

3 or 4 years ago the same was being said about VDSL, yet here we are.
    Having said that, I can't see it happen except for the big cities.

Don't know what their issue with vectoring is unless they're installing the wrong gear.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Don't know what their issue with vectoring is unless they're installing the wrong gear.

Saying that, the engineer didn't know what bonding or interleaving was either so maybe he was just misinformed. I would sincerely hope that they are installing the correct gear so vectoring/bonding can be achieved to boost speeds in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

LFCFan wrote: »
    Saying that, the engineer didn't know what bonding or interleaving was either so maybe he was just misinformed. I would sincerely hope that they are installing the correct gear so vectoring/bonding can be achieved to boost speeds in the future.

Do wonder what kind of "engineer" you spoke to ... :eek:

In fairness, alot of the Eircom techs are very knowledgeable.

It was a bit shocking that he didn't know these things but the install itself and his knowledge around that was fine. I guess there are a lot of these lads who know the install stuff but maybe not the tech around it. I work in IT and there are plenty of programmers who could churn out a top class android app in a day but wouldn't know the first thing about installing new RAM etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is the vectoring "issue" not down to one of unfair competition or something. I know in Germany vectoring is not in use yet and the reason so far has been the unwillingness of the equivalent of comreg to allow Deutsche Telekom to roll it out as it would give them some unfair advantage over resellers or something. Not 100% sure on the details but it was a regulatory problem rather than a purely technical one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also of note, the fibre 'extended reach' profiles will be trialling soon. These should extend the current fibre line distance of 1000m out to 2000m.

15 Down 3 Up 1400m
    12 Down 1 Up 1700m
    7 Down 1 Up 2000m

That is really good news, even 7m/1m for a lot of people would be massive improvement over crappy 1 to 2mb connections they currently get!

With so many cabs going in all over the place, with them now extending it out to 2km, it will mean that a lot of people who are currently on much longer ADSL lines should now be in reach of a faster and more reliable VDSL cabs.

Really really good news.

I know some people are very frustrated where their neighbour can get VDSL, but they can't due to a bad line. But the reality is Eircom seem to be working flat out at the moment, rolling out VDSL at frankly an impressive, blistering pace. It is obvious that to start with they are going to focus on the easy, low hanging fruit.

I'm hoping that as the rollout continues, things will quieten down a little and they will come back and fix all those faulty lines that they have initially skipped.

A little patience is needed. We really are seeing a revolution happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Does anyone know if speeds for normal NGB will increase once Cabinets go live in my area as I am only getting 4mb out of a potential 5mb at the moment or do I need to get Fibre to get any speed increase at all?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Does anyone know if speeds for normal NGB will increase once Cabinets go live in my area as I am only getting 4mb out of a potential 5mb at the moment or do I need to get Fibre to get any speed increase at all?

You need to get VDSL (eFibre).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bk wrote: »
    That is really good news, even 7m/1m for a lot of people would be massive improvement over crappy 1 to 2mb connections they currently get!

With so many cabs going in all over the place, with them now extending it out to 2km, it will mean that a lot of people who are currently on much longer ADSL lines should now be in reach of a faster and more reliable VDSL cabs.

Really really good news.

I know some people are very frustrated where their neighbour can get VDSL, but they can't due to a bad line. But the reality is Eircom seem to be working flat out at the moment, rolling out VDSL at frankly an impressive, blistering pace. It is obvious that to start with they are going to focus on the easy, low hanging fruit.

I'm hoping that as the rollout continues, things will quieten down a little and they will come back and fix all those faulty lines that they have initially skipped.

A little patience is needed. We really are seeing a revolution happen here.

Well said - hopefully its sooner rather than later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

vectoring is simply a card upgrade in the NGA cab, which has been done in the majority of cabs

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Do all VDSL cabs need the ADSL cab to work or if eircom hopefully decide to put VDSL cabs where there was never an ADSL cab would it work or do they have to have an ADSL cab beside the new ones ?

• Advertisement

Do all VDSL cabs need the ADSL cab to work or if eircom hopefully decide to put VDSL cabs where there was never an ADSL cab would it work or do they have to have an ADSL cab beside the new ones ?

They are only installed alongside existing copper cabs (or ADSL cabs as you call them).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

They are only installed alongside existing copper cabs (or ADSL cabs as you call them).

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

Oh the joy of dealing with Eircom again.

Made the order on the 24th. Was given an install date of the 2nd of Aug between 9:30 and 12:30.
    Nobody showed up, no calls. nothing..

Called them up, complained and was given a new install date of the 12th.
    Take a guess..
    Nobody showed up, no calls. nothing.

Called up business support and was told it had been cancelled and rescheduled to the 14th. (Again, heard nothing about this)
    "Oh but sorry, the 14th was cancelled as well for some reason, I will find out what is going on and call you back within the next hour"
    This was at 2pm. Still waiting for that call.
    Guess I should have known better than to go back to Eircom. A leopard cannot change its spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

zerks wrote: »
    Workers busy supplying power to cabinets in Enniscorthy today,hopefully they're as fast doing this as they were running the fibre & installing the cabs.

Any news Zerks, they rang me last night, saying they wanted to save me money on my phone bill, I said when is Fibre live, he said the end of this month, I said yeah right, I rang this morning, they said work continuing through till end of September lol, funny company, sales say one thing, all the rest another

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

How do you know when power is supplied to the cabinet like is an actual noticeable overhead cable connected ? I have a cab less than 100m away from me and am hoping it's not already live (no work for a few weeks) and i'm too close to the exchange and am not connected to it :(

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    How do you know when power is supplied to the cabinet like is an actual noticeable overhead cable connected ? I have a cab less than 100m away from me and am hoping it's not already live (no work for a few weeks) and i'm too close to the exchange and am not connected to it :(

It will have one of these ESB pillars close-by.
    EZ0tGAZ.jpg
    That's still no guarantee that it's commissioned and live though. They could still have work to do.
    Be thankful you're not connected directly to the exchange. They have no plans to supply fibre over those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

EZ0tGAZ.jpg
    That's still no guarantee that it's commissioned and live though. They could still have work to do.
    Be thankful you're not connected directly to the exchange. They have no plans to supply fibre over those lines.

If you follow back from the silver box. Its usually a concreted over trench to the nearest public lighting pole. Kn leave a pull rope for the electrician wrapped around the pole. If there's no rope and a new looking cable running up the pole, the cabinet is connected to the mains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone in Limerick get fibre yet?....if yes, roughly what area are youz living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Just checked the availability of my address via the phone number and its says its available even though my area isn't highlighted green.
    I don't even have that ESB pillar next to my cabinet, nor does it have the stickers attached. So after being confused i rang the customer support and as it appears, its not available afterall :( but they did give me the installation date for 11th of september which leaves a smile on my face lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

EZ0tGAZ.jpg

ive only seen a handful of cabinets with those silver box's near them, 90% have had a ESB manhole cover beside them with a new channel dug to the nearest streetlight

Advertisement