Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I rang Eircom this morning to ask about Dundalk. They told me it will be 25th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Hi tdonegan1990

I was unable to get an indication as to when your cabinet may be enabled from the efibre roll-out team.

The main Dundalk exchange is enabled however they advised it may be 2014 before there is any news regarding the cabinet your address is connected to.

Mark.

Thats what I got told this morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Which cabinet are you close by too ?

As most of them are ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Hi tdonegan1990

I was unable to get an indication as to when your cabinet may be enabled from the efibre roll-out team.

The main Dundalk exchange is enabled however they advised it may be 2014 before there is any news regarding the cabinet your address is connected to.

Mark.

Thats what I got told this morning!!!

Personally when any company tells me something will be operational on X Date, I add another 6 months onto it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

I would like to know about WiFi specifications for both Eircom (F1000) and Vodafone (HG658c) VDSL fibre modems. Do these modems support 5Ghz dual band wifi or do I need to get a separate wireless router (Netgear, Belkin, etc.) that supports 5ghz with Ethernet WAN port?

• Advertisement

Which cabinet are you close by too ?

As most of them are ready to go

Red barns road (lennonstown manor) 300m walk from it

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Personally when any company tells me something will be operational on X Date, I add another 6 months onto it!

I don't think that was the experience for everybody that got fibre already. The map for Dundalk says July to Sept and I was given Sept 25 on the phone which is within that range. We will wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

murphaph wrote: »
    lol, Deutsche Telekom have a smaller box than that (same design, just one door/rack less) also available for areas with lower density but here in Berlin there'll all big ones like that and all quite closely spaced. My nearest cabinet is app. 100m from me and the next one is about 200m and so it goes, but the density where I live is much higher than the suburbs. According to my modem my line is capable of 123kpbs downstream. However Telekom (and the resellers) only sell 50Mbps for some reason, even though they are competing with cable companies offering 100Mbps+ speeds. It doesn't bother me though, 50Mbps is more than enough for us.

The thing about the cooling makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. I think the cabinets here have active cooling and that probably does reduce their actual size considerably, so they probably aren't capable of (many) more actual connections than the smaller Irish/UK ones.

I have to say I think the dark green cabinets look a lot less obtrusive than those big white ones though. They definitely disappear into the background.

They're only trialling FTTC in France now as the original plan was to only use FTTH but that's proven to be uneconomic.

I don't think that was the experience for everybody that got fibre already. The map for Dundalk says July to Sept and I was given Sept 25 on the phone which is within that range. We will wait and see.

I do hope I am proved wrong, did they take a pre order or indicate how to make your order to ensure you get it quick as in online or by phone? I have already reg my interest a few times!

I do hope I am proved wrong, did they take a pre order or indicate how to make your order to ensure you get it quick as in online or by phone? I have already reg my interest a few times!

I think they usually alert people by text? But I have no cellphone so I asked to be alerted by e mail and that was agreed. I also have already registered my interest on the website a few months back.

Someone that got fibre already could remind us of the process involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

I would like to know about WiFi specifications for both Eircom (F1000) and Vodafone (HG658c) VDSL fibre modems. Do these modems support 5Ghz dual band wifi or do I need to get a separate wireless router (Netgear, Belkin, etc.) that supports 5ghz with Ethernet WAN port?

For the eircom F1000 check the ZyXEL model VMG8324-B10A. It uses the 2.4GHz band for 802.11b/g/n. The spec says it has two internal 3 dBi antennas (2.4 GHz). I don't know if it can handle g and n at the same time. Does anybody else know it can handle the two at the same time ?

Marketing overview http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/vmg8324_b10a.shtml?t=p

Data Sheet ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8324-B10A/datasheet/VMG8324-B10A_1.pdf

User Guide ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8324-B10A/user_guide/VMG8324-B10A_.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Be thankful you're not connected directly to the exchange. They have no plans to supply fibre over those lines.

I live 500m from two new FTTC cabinets and 1km line of sight from the exchange.

So I presumed that I could get VDSL, no bother.

But no, according to the website address checker.

I spotted an Eircom van on the road, yer man looks up his Blackberry, very nice, says the houses are wired directly to the exchange, with no cabinet.

I had never heard of this before.

He did say that "they will put a T in the line, and install a cabinet".

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

I am in the same boat, my area (Jacobs Island, Mahon, Cork) is connected to the Mahon exchange and according to their map it should be live in Jul-Sep.
    To date I haven't seen a single cab installed!! very confusing...
    Can anyone living in that area confirm please??

PS: just called Eircom and they said it should be sometimes in 2014 and when I told them that their map is showing Jul-Sep 2013 the sales rep said: well, in this case you should go with the map because it's more accurate than our systems here !!?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Red barns road (lennonstown manor) 300m walk from it

Not to far from myself so I suspect then were both in the same both (July to Sep 2013 me arse !)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

pg17 wrote: »
    For the eircom F1000 check the ZyXEL model VMG8324-B10A. It uses the 2.4GHz band for 802.11b/g/n. The spec says it has two internal 3 dBi antennas (2.4 GHz). I don't know if it can handle g and n at the same time. Does anybody else know it can handle the two at the same time ?

Marketing overview http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/vmg8324_b10a.shtml?t=p

Data Sheet ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8324-B10A/datasheet/VMG8324-B10A_1.pdf

User Guide ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8324-B10A/user_guide/VMG8324-B10A_.pdf

I think it can handle both 802.11g and 'n' at the same time using 2.4Ghz antennas. And, I am sure that the Vodafone HG658c fibre modem has the same WiFi specs (2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n) as the F1000. I would just get a dual band WiFi router if neither the F1000 nor the HG658c support 5ghz dual band WiFi.

Interesting article on Vectoring - First seriously detailed explanation of what it actually does that I've seen:

http://www.gazettabyte.com/home/2012/11/9/vdsl2-vectoring-explained.html

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Just rang Eircom today about Efibre in Dundalk as the website told me efibre is now live in my area and I need to ring up to place an order.

I was told they will start accepting orders for efibre in dundalk on the 25th of September.

Not long now :D

I wonder if there's likely to be a phase 6 roll-out or is this as far as they're going to go until they get state funding?

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Just rang Eircom today about Efibre in Dundalk as the website told me efibre is now live in my area and I need to ring up to place an order.

I was told they will start accepting orders for efibre in dundalk on the 25th of September.

Not long now :D

Where about in town are ya?
    Im on the red barns road, checked the eircom website there its still telling me july-sept!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Where about in town are ya?
    Im on the red barns road, checked the eircom website there its still telling me july-sept!

I'm on the Avenue road i don't know why the Website says its live now even though they told me the 25th of September.

• Advertisement

I'm also on the Avenue Road, Avondale Park and the website is telling me Congratulations etc and to place an order.

That brings up a screen which asks for phone number, ac number and e mail address. Supplied those and then it says ring 1800 303 644. Did that and the rep say my cab going live 25 Sept but it is too soon to take the order yet. But I will be contacted closer to that date or I can contact them and the order will be taken. He says it will then be only 5 or 6 working days for the installation to happen, I hope that is true.

I'm also on the Avenue Road, Avondale Park and the website is telling me Congratulations etc and to place an order.

That brings up a screen which asks for phone number, ac number and e mail address. Supplied those and then it says ring 1800 303 644. Did that and the rep say my cab going live 25 Sept but it is too soon to take the order yet. But I will be contacted closer to that date or I can contact them and the order will be taken. He says it will then be only 5 or 6 working days for the installation to happen, I hope that is true.

I am up hoeys lane and got the same. At least some movement now!

I am up hoeys lane and got the same. At least some movement now!

I see on the map that the DKIT is in the Blackrock exchange area not due upgrade until Oct Dec. You must be close to that line.

I see on the map that the DKIT is in the Blackrock exchange area not due upgrade until Oct Dec. You must be close to that line.

There are always grey areas on these type of maps. I checked some Blackrock number and they are not showing up for efibre.

I was on the aveune road (seafield lawns) till earlier this year when i moved! F*ck

Phase 6, 7 and onwards?

Has there been any announcement on taking the e-fibre rollout to Phase 6, 7 and onwards at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Phase 6, 7 and onwards?

Has there been any announcement on taking the e-fibre rollout to Phase 6, 7 and onwards at this stage?

Nothing that I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Nothing that I've heard.

Hang on in there ,,,,there will soon be an announcement !!

Some of the next exchanges to be done will be rural ...but again will probally be

existing cabinets

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

got a letter today saying that i would be on a reduced broadband offer and that efibre was available in my area (Ballinasloe),,rang them and the said that it would be in ther next fortnight,,,im finding it hard to believe as not one fibre capinet has been installed as yet???anyone else get these letters latley?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

mickyoc85 wrote: »
    got a letter today saying that i would be on a reduced broadband offer and that efibre was available in my area (Ballinasloe),,rang them and the said that it would be in ther next fortnight,,,im finding it hard to believe as not one fibre capinet has been installed as yet???anyone else get these letters latley?????

I'm in Loughrea which is due to be enabled July-Sept and there's a fibre cab outside my gate for the past 3 weeks now and I've not had anything like this through the door. I notice that Ballinasloe isn't due to be upgraded till Oct-Dec so it's a little strange that you were told that.

Advertisement