Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

What I like to know, is what are Eircom's plans for customer's not attached to a cabinet, in an eFibre enabled area.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What I like to know, is what are Eircom's plans for customer's not attached to a cabinet, in an eFibre enabled area.

Everyone is connected to a cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

ED E wrote: »

Some customers are directly fed back to the exchange, without using a cab.

jd wrote: »
    Some customers are directly fed back to the exchange, without using a cab.

In that case then all the need do is drop a VDSL DSLAM into a rack in the exchange itself, the easiest install of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

In that case then all the need do is drop a VDSL DSLAM into a rack in the exchange itself, the easiest install of all.

Sure, technically, but I don't think it's in the agreed wholesale spec for the industry. And the loop lengths will remain the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

mickyoc85 wrote: »
    got a letter today saying that i would be on a reduced broadband offer and that efibre was available in my area (Ballinasloe),,rang them and the said that it would be in ther next fortnight,,,im finding it hard to believe as not one fibre capinet has been installed as yet???anyone else get these letters latley?????

They've been ducting cable in Ballinasloe anyway. Someone had a photo of them doing it. A few weeks back if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

mickyoc85 wrote: »
    got a letter today saying that i would be on a reduced broadband offer and that efibre was available in my area (Ballinasloe),,rang them and the said that it would be in ther next fortnight,,,im finding it hard to believe as not one fibre capinet has been installed as yet???anyone else get these letters latley?????

Not going to happen. It looks like November at the earliest.
    Sub-duct is complete (KN were testing it last week) but as you say no VDSL cabs yet and no fibre installed.
    Some of the older copper cabs have been replaced/tidied up in preparation though. Kilgarve, Creagh (at church), Millrace, Hymany Park, Esker Hills & Hillcrest.

To date, Eircom have no plans to offer eFibre on directly connected lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

kaizersoze wrote: »

the original plan called for direct fed lines to be replaced by fibre but that's kind of died off...so now if you are direct fed everything remains exactly the same

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eFibre is finally coming to Dunshaughlin in County Meath, unfortunately I am 2km from the town and the nearest cabinet to me is over 1.5km away which means I wont be getting eFibre. The fibre is being installed into already existing boxes around the town, some of them only 400meters apart which seems daft, leaving many of us outside the town on standard ADSL. Do Eircom ever install new cabinets AFTER an exchange has gone live? Im living in hope that eventually they will install new cabinets to areas further out of already enabled exchanges.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »

*slow clap for eircom wholesale*
    Gonzo wrote: »
    eFibre is finally coming to Dunshaughlin in County Meath, unfortunately I am 2km from the town and the nearest cabinet to me is over 1.5km away which means I wont be getting eFibre. The fibre is being installed into already existing boxes around the town, some of them only 400meters apart which seems daft, leaving many of us outside the town on standard ADSL. Do Eircom ever install new cabinets AFTER an exchange has gone live? Im living in hope that eventually they will install new cabinets to areas further out of already enabled exchanges.

AFAIK new cabs would only go in when current ones reach capacity. So hope a developer builds a new housing estate in your back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's in ... we're a bit slower than I was expecting, but it's a good 500+ meters to the cabinet.

There are two cabs near by and we're actually at the further away one. The other one is maybe only 400ish meters from the house but apparently the wiring for this building is going back to an older location.

Before:
    2931450342.png
    After:
    2933526784.png

The ping to the Vodafone hosted server is 22ms

Ping:
    Ping has started…

PING sip.blueface.ie (194.213.29.92): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 194.213.29.92: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=26.511 ms
    64 bytes from 194.213.29.92: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=26.837 ms
    64 bytes from 194.213.29.92: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=26.461 ms
    64 bytes from 194.213.29.92: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=28.713 ms
    64 bytes from 194.213.29.92: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=26.259 ms

--- sip.blueface.ie ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 26.259/26.956/28.713/0.898 ms

Modem stats:
    VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 0 hour: 40 minutes
    ============================================================================
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.298 Mbps       41.116 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.238 Mbps       40.956 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       18.8 dB           13.8 dB
                Actual Delay:          7 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        6.1 dBm           9.8 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.3 dBm         -12.5 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       19.5 dB           22.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     25.708 Mbps       68.280 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  5.9    31.5    47.6     N/A    15.9    40.2    62.5   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  5.9    30.8    45.3     N/A    15.9    40.2    62.5   
            SNR Margin(dB): 18.9    18.6    19.0     N/A    13.8    13.8    13.9   
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 7.6     0.9     4.3     N/A     3.3     7.8     1.4   

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

it's not daft at all really. You choose to live 2km outside the town, so you choose poorer infrastructure. You (presumably) gain more living space or whatever that means on balance you prefer to live where you do than in an urban/suburban area. It's a trade off-can't have your cake and eat it normally.

Ireland is not alone here...rural broadband is generally poor worldwide and that's understandable.

murphaph wrote: »

Ireland is not alone here...rural broadband is generally poor worldwide and that's understandable.

That's not strictly true...some countries have addressed the issue some haven't, we live in a country that doesn't give a toss about rural broadband just like the UK.

Take Finland (and others) for example access to broadband is a legal right there and telcos are forced to provide broadband to all. So it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 30 grahambol

it's not daft at all really. You choose to live 2km outside the town, so you choose poorer infrastructure. You (presumably) gain more living space or whatever that means on balance you prefer to live where you do than in an urban/suburban area. It's a trade off-can't have your cake and eat it normally.

Sorry, I totally disagree with this comment. If this was the case, we should be lucky we have electricity and running water...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bealtine wrote: »
    That's not strictly true...some countries have addressed the issue some haven't, we live in a country that doesn't give a toss about rural broadband just like the UK.

Take Finland (and others) for example access to broadband is a legal right there and telcos are forced to provide broadband to all. So it can be done

I have seen the Finnish example quoted before. But the devil is in the detail as always and the question of who pays for it is central. The legal obligation at present is 1 Mbit/s. Later on the promise is 100 but that will involve spending public money to serve the more rural districts. Including some of our money via the EU.

http://www.itu.int/net/itunews/issues/2010/06/34.aspx

Telecommunication operators are expected to construct fast connections in densely-populated areas, where there is demand, on market terms. But assistance will be needed to raise population coverage from 95 per cent to 99 per cent in rural areas.

Telecommunication operators will cover at least 34 per cent of the costs. The rest of the costs will be funded by the State (EUR 66 million for the period 2009–2015), municipalities and the European Union’s Rural Development Fund (EUR 24.6 million). Support will be given to projects that are not commercially viable.

I have seen the Finnish example quoted before. But the devil is in the detail as always and the question of who pays for it is central. The legal obligation at present is 1 Mbit/s. Later on the promise is 100 but that will involve spending public money to serve the more rural districts. Including some of our money via the EU.

[/I]

Yes indeed but it does show that it can be done...

http://www.lvm.fi/web/en/broadband

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/10/finland-plan-for-universal-100mbps-service-by-2015-on-track/

A little off the point but interesting none the less:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllane/2011/11/15/the-united-nations-says-broadband-is-basic-human-right/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

In my estate the last third of the houses cannot get eFibre, the reps on the Eircom talk to page, said, there must be two cabinets serving the estate, and only one was enabled. No matter how much I search around the area I can only find one cabinet. Since I am not enabled, I must not be connected to that cabinet.

So I am wondering what is Eircom's plan for customer's like me, who cannot get eFibre, and only 1.5M using ADSL, yet I live in an eFibre enabled area

So I am wondering what is Eircom's plan for customer's like me, who cannot get eFibre, and only 1.5M using ADSL, yet I live in an eFibre enabled area

Technically 40% of cabinets need to be live for an area to be declared enabled obviously you would end up being connected to one of the other 60%, when that would happen nobody knows

In my estate the last third of the houses cannot get eFibre, the reps on the Eircom talk to page, said, there must be two cabinets serving the estate, and only one was enabled. No matter how much I search around the area I can only find one cabinet. Since I am not enabled, I must not be connected to that cabinet.

I doubt if anyone here can tell you more than the Eircom reps. But I would speculate that you will be looked after sooner than most of the vast swathes of the country which is dark green on this map.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85928705&postcount=5396

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I was only just talking to my Eircom rep today (formerly an eircom tech). He told me there is still no equipment in the exchanges for direct vdsl to customers. Or at least there isn't to my workpalces exchange.

So ironically the people who had the fastest connections based on adsl2 + have been left in the dark for now.

Does anyone have any concrete info on this?

Praetorian wrote: »
    I was only just talking to my Eircom rep today (formerly an eircom tech). He told me there is still no equipment in the exchanges for direct vdsl to customers. Or at least there isn't to my workpalces exchange.

So ironically the people who had the fastest connections based on adsl2 + have been left in the dark for now.

Does anyone have any concrete info on this?

It has been mentioned here a few times but the conclusion seems to be that there are no plans for an upgrade at present. This was posted earlier today by Bealtaine so maybe he/she has details of the plan and the reason it was abandoned.

the original plan called for direct fed lines to be replaced by fibre but that's kind of died off...so now if you are direct fed everything remains exactly the same

Your Eircom contact sounds like the sort of person who might be able to find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

I dont think an Eircom rep has ever told the truth at all.
    If they say you are on a different cabinet then ask them what cabinet you are on, and ask them what cabinet your neighbours who are connected are on. I bet you find they are just telling lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

grahambol wrote: »
    Sorry, I totally disagree with this comment. If this was the case, we should be lucky we have electricity and running water...:rolleyes:
    You generally DON'T have running water unless you sink your own well or join a group water scheme! Mains water is not something you get as a matter of course in rural Ireland (or any rural location anywhere).

Electricity is a different product to broadband. It hasn't changed since it was rolled out originally 230Vac/50Hz (I think it actually did change once when it went from 220Vac to 230Vac) but it's not like you can get different "speeds" of electricity. Once the network is in place, it does not require upgrading (apart from when equipment goes life expired).

If we compare internet access to electricity it would mean you accepting 512kbps/128kbps (what I had with UTV internet when ADSL first came to the part of Dublin I was living in) FOREVER. Would you be happy with such "broadband"? No. You can't compare electricity and broadband because the latter is a constantly evolving technology. People want more and more speed but not more and more electricity.

It is a rare country that has the same quality infrastructure in rural areas as in urban ones. The Finland example has already been shown to be nothing of the sort. 1Mb BB isn't even BB really.

In reality the only realistic solution for low population density rural areas is wireless. If you build up rural fixed infrastructure it will be heavily subsidised by urban customers, which clearly isn't fair.

Electricity is a different product to broadband. It hasn't changed since it was rolled out originally 230Vac/50Hz (I think it actually did change once when it went from 220Vac to 230Vac) but it's not like you can get different "speeds" of electricity. Once the network is in place, it does not require upgrading (apart from when equipment goes life expired).
    Electricity has changed a number of times since the original rollouts and then we had the Rural Electrification scheme. Many areas have been rewired a number of times but some haven't but most of the original plant has been replaced
    It is a rare country that has the same quality infrastructure in rural areas as in urban ones. The Finland example has already been shown to be nothing of the sort. 1Mb BB isn't even BB really.

In reality the only realistic solution for low population density rural areas is wireless. If you build up rural fixed infrastructure it will be heavily subsidised by urban customers, which clearly isn't fair.

Yeah the Finland example is terrible they merely want to rollout 100Mb/s to everybody including above the Arctic circle we can't do that it might level the playing field...The idea in Finland is to drive fibre deep into the countryside and then coops or local providers can then provide the last mile, this often gets done by mobile providers but not always. The point about the early legal right was to force lazy telcos to get off their asses and "just do it". Once done then the upgrade to 100Mb/s can go ahead.

Rural people pay exactly the same as urban customers so are entitled to the same level of service...you wouldn't expect rural folk to only get 110V would you? This was the original purpose of regulation...so if country people don't get good service they should obviously pay less but that's not how it works...
    Telcos used to make money in the cities so they could invest in more rural areas or so went the theory so yes urban dwellers "subsidize" rural dwellers like they do for roads or electricity.

I suppose it all boils down to the eternal argument between Keynes vs Hayek.
    Hayek sort of said private enterprise will deliver and is always right, Keynes said it's the job of the state to intervene where private industry is obviously failing...like in 1929 and again in 1950 and then yet again in 2008 and pretty much every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Maybe im bias, but if have thought places like Blanchardstown would have been one of the first to have it or at least have it be now.

Id assumed Eircom would have started off the with the biggest and most populated areas in Dublin and worked around that and then onto big towns cities etc

Again, you probably are on a cabinet, just not a fibre one. Some cabs are under ground, so it may not be visible to the public other than a manhole cover.

If you're cab hasnt been paired with a new one yet, it may come later, or never. Without insider info you cant tell. I'd fully expect some people to be "left out" for a long while yet though.

jeffk wrote: »
    Maybe im bias, but if have thought places like Blanchardstown would have been one of the first to have it or at least have it be now.

Id assumed Eircom would have started off the with the biggest and most populated areas in Dublin and worked around that and then onto big towns cities etc

If an area has good ADSL2+ coverage then it would naturally be lower priority then urban or semi urban areas with an overcrowded ADSL. Does Blanch not have UPC? VDSL is poor competition for cable backed by fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I was privy to the Eircom spreadsheet going around and the cabinet nearest to my sister's house wasn't down to get a VDSL cab and now it has one.

Has there been an update of the plans for VDSL cabs?

Advertisement