Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

bealtine wrote: »
    the original plan called for direct fed lines to be replaced by fibre but that's kind of died off...so now if you are direct fed everything remains exactly the same

Thats not true....in Sligo Castlebar and Ballina they are now providing a copper
    cab and a Fibre cab to connect direct lines

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Anyone got any idea what's going on in the Tralee outer areas. The Eircom coverage map indicates live coverage many km west of the town but no cabs to be seen, with the Mounthawk & Killerisk exchanges going live July-Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Thats not true....in Sligo Castlebar and Ballina they are now providing a copper
    cab and a Fibre cab to connect direct lines

So it that why there's a new cable and fiber cab put in place on the way to the exchange in Castlebar ? was told there was a hold up with planning permission though so not commissioned yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Just to point out the wall jack is RJ45 on the modem side but the plug is just a standard RJ11 phone plug and it's still just a phone line with a DSL signal using the centre two contracts only.

There is no Ethernet present on that jack.

Thanks for that. An incorrect assumption on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is becoming painful

Watching downloads at 500kbs, I cannot play a game and watch a youtube video at the same time. I can't watch a 720p gaming stream while I play a game, and if I am downloading the internet in the house grinds to a hault.

Efibre needs to hit my house soon, it's pretty much active everywhere else in Donabate. Shocking in 2013 I'm on a line I'd be critical off in 2000.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is becoming painful

Watching downloads at 500kbs, I cannot play a game and watch a youtube video at the same time. I can't watch a 720p gaming stream while I play a game, and if I am downloading the internet in the house grinds to a hault.

Efibre needs to hit my house soon, it's pretty much active everywhere else in Donabate. Shocking in 2013 I'm on a line I'd be critical off in 2000.....

I blame pat rabbitt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheDoc wrote: »
    I cannot play a game and watch a youtube video at the same time. I can't watch a 720p gaming stream while I play a game
    I couldn't do that on 1 Gb/s...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

TheChizler wrote: »
    I couldn't do that on 1 Gb/s...

I could while I was in a PC 방 in Korea. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Is there anyone here still in a "Fibre enabled area" that doesn't have Fibre broadband yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Manc Red wrote: »
    Is there anyone here still in a "Fibre enabled area" that doesn't have Fibre broadband yet?

Lots of people...as has been pointed out, over and over, for an area to be declared "enabled" only 40% of the cabinets need to be operational...that leaves 60% of people not connected/enabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I am in a fibre enable area (dooradoyle exchange) and without fibre bb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

red_bairn wrote: »
    I could while I was in a PC 방 in Korea. :/
    The multitasking that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Saw an eircom man looking inside the cab on top of the boreen hill in Enniscorthy tonight. Hopefully they are close to going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Living in Douglas exchange area; Cork , no eFibre in Curragh Woods or Dunvale estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

bush wrote: »
    Saw an eircom man looking inside the cab on top of the boreen hill in Enniscorthy tonight. Hopefully they are close to going live.
    A guy in a reflective jacket was talking on the phone and looking at the cabinet at the vocational school. Things seem to be moving again in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Yep, Cork City centre here. Cab not commisioned yet.

Anyone know how long they've given to have all current cabs commisioned. Before end of 2014 surely? Any sooner?

This is what stage Blackrock in Dundalk is at.
    Due to be live Oct-Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Yep, Cork City centre here. Cab not commisioned yet.

Anyone know how long they've given to have all current cabs commisioned. Before end of 2014 surely? Any sooner?

A large chunk of the very centre of Dublin and Cork are cabinet-free.

There was a rumour that they might go full FTTH in those areas but I'm not convinced they will do anything other that fit cabs.

The VDSL2 vectored technology is cheaper to rollout than FTTH and the deliverable speed over copper has gone way way up since the plan began a few years ago.

In France for example France Telecom / Orange was going to go exclusively with fibre to home but now have begun rolling out FTTC too due the speed improvements on VDSL and the enormous cost of rolling out actual fibre in low density housing suburban France.

They estimated the FTTC between as being ten times cheaper per line!

Lots of operators plans are changing as FTTC is really giving decent results.

I know I was pretty impressed to be able to upload a 42MB document in a few seconds on efibre this morning.

Finally decent broadband!

When vectoring goes live that will only get faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    A guy in a reflective jacket was talking on the phone and looking at the cabinet at the vocational school. Things seem to be moving again in Enniscorthy.

Buddy of mine was on phone to Vodafone,they told him it'll be November before we get it,even though engineers are finished and cabs are ready and comissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

SpaceTime wrote: »
    A large chunk of the very centre of Dublin and Cork are cabinet-free.

There was a rumour that they might go full FTTH in those areas but I'm not convinced they will do anything other that fit cabs.

Some cabinets are "buried" in the basements of buildings and car parks and places like that...

The original plan was indeed for FTTH in areas close to the exchange however that plan seems to have died off...

To the best of my knowledge "direct fed" do require cabinets.

These are lines that go from the exchange to the premises but not VIA a VDSL cabinet.

So eircom have to install a cabinet before they can install VDSL. Modern cabinets are not the green types used for many years. they are an offwhitish single door plastic unit on a plinth like this one.

http://goo.gl/maps/eS3Fb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Got installed today in Castlebar

50M Connection

Previous was about 8M on a 10M connection with 600-700Kbps upload

Here stats on wifi

2942313038.png

Pretty happy with that, I'm sure it will stabalise and upload may improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

bealtine wrote: »
    Some cabinets are "buried" in the basements of buildings and car parks and places like that...

The original plan was indeed for FTTH in areas close to the exchange however that plan seems to have died off...

To the best of my knowledge "direct fed" do require cabinets.

These are lines that go from the exchange to the premises but not VIA a VDSL cabinet.

So eircom have to install a cabinet before they can install VDSL. Modern cabinets are not the green types used for many years. they are an offwhitish single door plastic unit on a plinth like this one.

http://goo.gl/maps/eS3Fb

The white plastic PCP/Distribution cabinets were used for a while, but they've gone back to the green double-door high-security ones again since the VDSL2 rollout began any new cabinets they've been installing have been of that variety. They just have several suppliers of those boxes. The double-door green metal ones are extremely reliable and very physically secure. They seem to be the same type that BT use in the UK too.

I spotted one or two white plastic cabinets around here that were replaced by the standard new green double-door version when VDSL2 was put in. I assume the old cabinet was either too small or was damaged, but the new standard is the double-door green cabinet. That's also modular by the way and can be extended with a top-box that replaces the lid of the cabinet giving it more space for wiring.

The problem is that in city centre areas and even some housing estates, the lines 'break out' underground i.e. a big bundle of lines on a thick cable from the exchange is split off into individual lines in water-proof connectors underground.

The problem is that's not really a feasible solution for more complicated wiring where VDSL signals have to be spliced on because it's not easy to ensure water-proofing and also because it makes it very difficult to find wires and from a practicality point of view, it's not ideal to have installers having to get into underground vaults to access customer lines when they're doing installations.

The most likely scenario is that they'll just install green double-door PCP cabinets at or near those underground vaults and connect existing customers to them.

Direct fed lines from the exchange just mean they don't pass through a PCP cabinet at all and are just a wire from the house/office directly back to the Main Distribution Frame (MDF) in the exchange. This is just one or several huge racks where every line is connected to terminals that connect it to the voice exchange and any ADSL equipment.

If you were to install VDSL2 on those, the VDSL equipment has to be close enough to the house/office to make it worthwhile. It's not much use if you've a VDSL DSLAM in the exchange and 2km of wires running out to the customers. You would just be getting a slightly improved version of ADSL rather then 'fibre to the curb' FTTC.

So, that's why they wouldn't really be bothered putting VDSL2 DSLAMs into the exchange buildings.

The cabinets are also a standardised solution, so even if you lived next-door to the exchange, you'd still be connected to a cabinet which could even be located right next to it.

There's a lot of sense in having a 100% standardised solution, especially where the installation is being handled largely by subcontractors and where Huawei is basically managing the maintenance of the VDSL2 cabinets.

I think the idea originally was that they would replace some direct fed lines near the exchange with direct fed fibre. So, you would probably have FTTH in the central business district of some towns and cities if that were the case. However, it now looks like they seem to be just ploughing ahead with FTTC cabinets instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

FaganJr wrote: »
    Got installed today in Castlebar

50M Connection

Previous was about 8M on a 10M connection with 600-700Kbps upload

Here stats on wifi

2942313038.png

Pretty happy with that, I'm sure it will stabalise and upload may improve

where in castlebar if you done mind me asking?
    i cant get it an im in cbar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Due to be live Oct-Dec.

Sub-duct going in. Lots to be done after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Due to be live Oct-Dec.

Thanks for posting that have been watching out for activity in blackrock but didnt see anything.
    Was that work beside seafield road heading towards haggardstown?

Im on otherside of blackrock close to finnabair on blackrock road

Mgit wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that have been watching out for activity in blackrock but didnt see anything.
    Was that work beside seafield road heading towards haggardstown?

Im on otherside of blackrock close to finnabair on blackrock road

They where workin on wallaces road just opposite Rathmount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

zerks wrote: »
    Buddy of mine was on phone to Vodafone,they told him it'll be November before we get it,even though engineers are finished and cabs are ready and comissioned.

Why? For the love of god, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bush wrote: »
    Why? For the love of god, why?

This is really weird. Even Greystones has been ready for at least 2 months and nothing is happening. Kilcoole, Newtownmountkennedy, Newcastle, Wicklow and Greystones must be going live soon. Really don't know what the big hold up is for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

is there any chance that someone who has efibre installed can post a picture of the new telephone point ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

The cab near my house is currently getting looked at by an Eircom engineers away on the way to work

Advertisement