Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jeffk wrote: »
    is there any chance that someone who has efibre installed can post a picture of the new telephone point ?
    There's one in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's one in this post.
    Thanks, so basically its the same set up as is with a built in filter?

A lot of people in the big Eircom thread where saying its a RJ45,ethernet,computer cable call it what you will and a phone line,then I was worrying about wireless,running a cable or homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Morrisseyy

red_bairn wrote: »
    This is really weird. Even Greystones has been ready for at least 2 months and nothing is happening. Kilcoole, Newtownmountkennedy, Newcastle, Wicklow and Greystones must be going live soon. Really don't know what the big hold up is for...

I'm told O'Neill park in Newtown has fibre now, heard this through a friend of a friend though so can't confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Buddy of mine was on phone to Vodafone,they told him it'll be November before we get it,even though engineers are finished and cabs are ready and comissioned.
    Not many of the cabs are commissioned. I can only find 3 that are "stickered", Cluain Charmin, Esmond Rd and Saint John's Kilcarbery. 40% have to be ready before they can go live. We've been changed from Sept-Dec to July-September on the eircom map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Morrisseyy wrote: »
    I'm told O'Neill park in Newtown has fibre now, heard this through a friend of a friend though so can't confirm.

Hmm, if you can, ask him to send ya a speedtest link.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Spoke on the phone and to an online agent today , girl on the phone didnt have a clue ,

Person I spoke to on the webchat said Kilbelin Abbey , Walshestown, Belmount should all be live before the end of the month ,

At last , bloody cabinet has been looking at me for the last 3 months !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I know there's a huge contingent from Monaghan Town on here, so just to inform you all that I know people who are already connected and I've got an engineer date for next week (with Vodafone).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

The cab near my house is currently getting looked at by an Eircom engineers away on the way to work
    As per the Eircom woman I was talking to today, pretty much ALL of the cabinets in the South East will go live on 25th of September, this is exactly what she said so hopefully happy days! :D
    Here's the whole chat (If a mod would like to add spoilers to save space or whatever, that'd be grand)

Nathalie: Welcome to the eircom-service webchat, my name is Nathalie how can I help you today?
    Nathalie: Hi Alan,
    Alan Shannon: Hi, I saw an Eircom engineer working at the VDSL cab near my house today while on the way to work, does this mean the cabinet has been activated?
    Nathalie: Can I take your landline number to check this?
    Alan Shannon: 059 91 *****
    Alan Shannon: On the website it says not until July - Spetember
    Nathalie: I'm afraid that efibre is not available on your line yet however you can register your interest on the link below to be informed of when the line is ready.
    Nathalie: Please click here
    Alan Shannon: I already did that... in May.
    Alan Shannon: Why does it still say July on the website, it's clearly not gonna happen from July to September when we're already in September
    Nathalie: Ok Alan, in this case you will be contacted when it is your cabinet however i would think it should be after the 25th of september.
    Alan Shannon: What's the 25th of September? Is this when the cabinet is going live or..?
    Nathalie: I cannot say for sure Alan as the system has given me no indication however I know that there is a huge amount of cabinets being switched on this date.
    Alan Shannon: Okay, grand. Do you have any idea as to the location of these Cabinets as in are they mostly in the South East, West etc.
    Nathalie: It is mostly in the south and south East.
    Alan Shannon: Great, I'm in the South East so that's grand. I have one more question..
    Nathalie: Ok Alan,
    Alan Shannon: How would I find out the distance from my house to the cabinet, I know for sure it is a VDSL one as there is the old one right next to it and there was an engineer there this morning. Also, how do I know what cabinet I'm connected to? As, as far as I'm aware it's not always the one that's closest to you that you'll be connected to.
    Nathalie: Yes this is correct it is not always the closest one to your home Alan and when it comes to distance we have no way of measuring this as the lines are underground and it could be a meter from your house over ground and 4 beneath it. However I can tell you the exchange that you are connected to which is CARLOW E10.
    Alan Shannon: Right, as the cabinet that's close to me is on a road leading into where there's a few large shops and stuff.
    Nathalie: Ok Alan you may be connected to this one as it may be purpose built for the businesses however again I cannot confirm this.
    Alan Shannon: Okay then, thank you so much. You've been great help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Bedding in nicely!

2944961432.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13 density

As for Newbridge, one website (http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/nga-coverage) gives the estimated date for first live Fibre services as next Wednesday, the eleventh. I wouldn't hold my breath, though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Newbridge is due to go live 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

arctan wrote: »
    Newbridge is due to go live 11th

Do you know anything about the Wicklow area going live?

unfortunately no

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

As per the Eircom woman I was talking to today, pretty much ALL of the cabinets in the South East will go live on 25th of September, this is exactly what she said so hopefully happy days! biggrin.png
    Here's the whole chat (If a mod would like to add spoilers to save space or whatever, that'd be grand)

Nathalie: Welcome to the eircom-service webchat, my name is Nathalie how can I help you today?
    Nathalie: Hi Alan,

Nathalie: Ok Alan you may be connected to this one as it may be purpose built for the businesses however again I cannot confirm this.
    Alan Shannon: Okay then, thank you so much. You've been great help wink.png

Nathalie is one patient lady :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

KM88 wrote: »
    Nathalie is one patient lady :confused:
    Eh? I understand the text but then the smiley face confuses me..
    I had just gotten home from work and I wanted to know if I could get my eFibre on! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Back to Enniscorthy again, the cabs in shingaun and the market square are both now commissioned. It must be getting very close to the magical 40% now.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Has anyone any idea whats happening after 2014. As I'm not shaded in on the current roll-out map and it's wrecking my head wishing for the fibre:mad:
    Currently have the 8mb package with Vodafone/Eircom averaging 6mb with a 63-64 ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I see Clon is down for 2014 - that could mean a long wait if it was December. Since Bandon is due for finishing shortly could I guess clon she be soon after ? The exchange has had fibre for years so maybe it is no big deal to do ? The roads have been dug up since lasy year so I hope Eircom dropped in a few cables to save them digging again.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Anyone know if MRPH are working on behalf of Eircom?

they were doing sub contracted work on behalf of KN, for Eircom, in earlier parts of the rollout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

arctan wrote: »
    they were doing sub contracted work on behalf of KN, for Eircom, in earlier parts of the rollout

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Heads up people in Dundalk!

I was able to place my order on the Eircom website today for an upgrade to Efibre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Heads up people in Dundalk!

I was able to place my order on the Eircom website today for an upgrade to Efibre :D

I had a look at that two days ago. It looks for bank account details. What do they need that for?

I rang 1800 303644 5 Sept to see if they could take the order but was told not until after 25th. And then would be up to 10 working days to install. Were you able to specify the installation date? That was one of the fields I saw on that screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I was able to request an upgrade on my connection to efibre in Dundalk. Now I guess its just a matter of waiting. Does anyone know how long they waited from requesting an upgrade to actually getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I was able to request an upgrade on my connection to efibre in Dundalk. Now I guess its just a matter of waiting. Does anyone know how long they waited from requesting an upgrade to actually getting it?

I ordered on August 28 and was given an appointment for September 4 and told the technician would contact me beforehand to confirm his appointment with me. I waited all morning on 4th but nobody showed up.

I phoned eircom 3 times that afternoon - each time I was told there was no appointment and that the person who took the order could only request an appointment and that whatever he entered would have to be confirmed.

Since there was no appointment record in the system the people I spoke to could not enter a new appointment time (if there had been an appointment record, they could have updated it with a new date and time). The best they could do was say that they would send my case to the 'Back Office' and ask the BO to phone me to make an appointment and it might be 2 - 3 days before anybody called me. I asked them to register a complaint and to escalate the case with the BO which they agreed to do. I said I wanted a call back that day. Now 53 hours later, I have heard nothing and don't expect a call at the weekend. I'll be on the phone again on Monday.

That is a long way of saying I don't know how long it will take to get your upgrade. What I do know it that a lot of people reported in this thread that nobody shoed at the appointed time for their installation and that the time varies a lot.

Does anybody know a good number to call to progress an appointment for an order already placed and accepted by eircom?

BTW, I got a letter dated 28th thanking me for my order and noting the bank details for my monthly direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Right lads, back in Letterkenny after a long summer between course years. Any updates since I got this fibre in? Pings all over the feckin shop altogether at the moment, up to 125ms to a BF3 server I got 17ms to on the wireless at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Looks like Midleton is finally live. Lots of addresses in the town were added to the eircom address checker over the last day or two. Will try to order later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Driving through Malahide this morning and there are a few new cabinets installed. Added to the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Allright lads. I posted earlier in the thread asking if eircom would be back to upgrade the remaining cabs in an area once the first batch are turned on.

I was of course wondering about my own cabinet that seemed to have been forgotten about at the launch of efibre in Longford.

Noticed two KN vans beside our un-upgraded cab on Friday and was able to ask the engineers about it. Apparently they are currently under pressure to fill in the gaps over the "next few weeks" and that my cab will be upgraded.

Depending on the way the copper runs, I could be as close as 150m from the cab. I'm hoping to see the work start this week.

Super relieved as I was just starting to accept that I wouldn't be getting it any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 hensch

Hope someone can help me out by answering what a "drop point" is

I got this response from the Eircom reps on the talk to Eircom forum

I have confirmed it is the same cabinet(Authors comments, a cabinet confirmed to have been upgraded). However I sent on your details specific to your issue. As well as that of a few customers in similar cases.

I did confirm with your issue that your address goes through a different drop point. So the cable tracking may be laid in a different way than neighbouring customers.

The information I got from our networks team.

They confirmed that the efibre service is not available at your address.

Would appreciate any answer since im not an network engineer, with all the talks about cabs and exchanges I would have though it would be enough to be on a upgraded cab, but it seems that is not a guarantee for Fibre.

/H

Advertisement