Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

They seem to be saying that you are not connected to your nearest cabinet which is probably a legacy cabling issue. You could ask eircom if you ordered a new phone line if they could guarantee that it would be attached to that cabinet so that you would be able to get efibre. However I would get that in writing first as they have promised other people the same and then not followed through.

Your other option is to contact CommReg to see if they can do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hensch

Hi ElNino

The cab that Eircom confirmed I am connected to is the closest one(and only one) it is less then 100 meters from my house.

and there was already a phone line to the house when I moved in, so no new order :(

/H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I understand now. They are saying that you cabling takes a scenic route before getting to your house unlike your neighbours. If they are not volunteering to run a direct cable then you are left with the same options.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hensch

ElNino wrote: »
    I understand now. They are saying that you cabling takes a scenic route before getting to your house unlike your neighbours. If they are not volunteering to run a direct cable then you are left with the same options.

Ah ok, Thx

that actually make some sense, since I did have an Eircome engineer out to look at what was a very slow broadband issue(line damage due to a tree) but he did mention that he also "shortened" my cabling, but based on Eircoms official answer I guess not enough.

But in a way it still does not make total sense, since FTTC and I am aware of the distance to the Cab has an impact, but based on my closeness (as the crow files) to the cab it means that my cabling would have to run a detour all around the village before it connects to the cab, correct?

And why would Eircom have cabled it that was from the start?

This is wrecking my head, with all the answers (some blatant lies) I have got from Eircom I dont know what to believe anymore.

:confused::confused::confused:

/H

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wonder how they're estimating distance from a cab. Are the install guys going around and testing attenuation from each copper cap to the MDP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

so long suckers, i've joined the fibre club as of today :pac:

9714970749_5aa3bb4794_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

smemon wrote: »

What's on your pic it's taking so long to download :D
    Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Nice one. Where are you?

jca wrote: »
    Nice one. Where are you?

The metropolis that is Monaghan of all places :P been live here for a few weeks now but just got my install today with vodafone (ironically it was an eircom guy in an eircom van that did it)...

~300m from the cabinet and it's been stable 42mb/16mb all day (i've checked about 100 times).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The metropolis that is Monaghan of all places :P been live here for a few weeks now but just got my install today with vodafone (ironically it was an eircom guy in an eircom van that did it)...

~300m from the cabinet and it's been stable 42mb/16mb all day (i've checked about 100 times).

What did you have before just as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

Back to Enniscorthy again, the cabs in shingaun and the market square are both now commissioned. It must be getting very close to the magical 40% now.
    I know the one at Lidl is commisioned as I checked a number that uses it, and it says EFibre enabled, not available until 9th of October though. The one at Bloody Bridge is not though, I don't understand that as the engineer was there 2 weeks ago and said he was commisioning it, oh well wait a bit longer I suppose

What did you have before just as a matter of interest?

7mb connection, was getting between 5-6 mb & 0.4 mb upload...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

7mb connection, was getting between 5-6 mb & 0.4 mb upload...

Have you checked wat speed you get on a wired connection? Think u shud get a little more than 50mb at 300m

Mgit wrote: »
    Have you checked wat speed you get on a wired connection? Think u shud get a little more than 50mb at 300m
    Maybe he's on a 50 meg connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Maybe he's on a 50 meg connection.

He mentioned on last page thats hes with vodafone.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Noticed a few KN vans near my home today in Donegal town. I didn't get a good look at what they were doing, other than opening manholes and another van with a cable reel trailer on the back further up the road.

So exciting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

byte wrote: »
    Noticed a few KN vans near my home today in Donegal town. I didn't get a good look at what they were doing, other than opening manholes and another van with a cable reel trailer on the back further up the road.

sub ducting. So it begins. What part? :)

byte wrote: »

Don't get too excited. All that work was done here (Enniscorthy) over 2 years ago, no sign of it going live yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I've seen the KN vans in Maynooth also. Anyone have any info on that? Seems to be more and more of them every day. Haven't got a chance to talk to them yet.

Mgit wrote: »
    He mentioned on last page thats hes with vodafone.

yep, am with vodafone but set at 50mb :confused:

JOMXkW1.jpg

i might give them a buzz and see if i can get switched to 70mb...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

yep, am with vodafone but set at 50mb :confused:

JOMXkW1.jpg

i might give them a buzz and see if i can get switched to 70mb...

Maybe 50MB is all you can get, I wouldn't mind that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Just placed my order for the efiber. Super excited :D

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Just placed my order for the efiber. Super excited :D
    Nice one, where are you? Who did you order it with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Enniscorthy 2nd Oct

arctan wrote: »
    Enniscorthy 2nd Oct
    Nice one if it happens. It was supposed to be the 25th Sept. Who gave you that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Midleton is also now Oct 2nd. Vodafone and Eircom won't accept orders until after then (even though my address shows eFibre now available).

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Nice one, where are you? Who did you order it with?

I am in athlone. I have been with eircom couple of years now, i am just getting an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

just check the eircom map to see if i could get fiber cos up untill now i have not being able.
    checked it ther and bingo e fiber enabled on the eircom site it say up to 50mb is available and that the 70mb one in not,but on the vodafone site it says the up to 70mb is available why would this be?
    i only have 3 months left with sky so iam going to break the contract and go with vodafone or eircom.which one is better or are they much the same

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

naughto wrote: »
    just check the eircom map to see if i could get fiber cos up untill now i have not being able.
    checked it ther and bingo e fiber enabled on the eircom site it say up to 50mb is available and that the 70mb one in not,but on the vodafone site it says the up to 70mb is available why would this be?
    i only have 3 months left with sky so iam going to break the contract and go with vodafone or eircom.which one is better or are they much the same

I think Eircom will only set you to the speed you will realistically get whereas Vodafone will just set you to the absolute max ie 70 whether you will get it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Looking at all these live dates and speeds and im still on the July-September line.

Eircom should have an update for a date when they have a fairly good idea when its going live, even throw in a date may change etc line.

Advertisement